Oracle Solaris OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Solaris is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Operating Systems for Business. It is most often compared to Oracle Linux: Oracle Solaris vs Oracle Linux

What is Oracle Solaris?

Oracle Solaris is a complete, secure, enterprise-grade cloud platform. From built-in, near zero-overhead virtualization and application-driven Software Defined Networking, to scalable data management and high availability clustering, we give you everything you need to build your enterprise cloud.

Oracle Solaris 11.3 is the world's most advanced enterprise operating system. It delivers security, speed, and simplicity for enterprise cloud environments and DevOps

For more information on Oracle Solaris, visit Oracle.com

Oracle Solaris is also known as Solaris 11, Solaris.

Oracle Solaris Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Solaris Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Oracle Solaris Customers
Siemens, IVV
Oracle Solaris Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Solaris pricing:
  • "If you buy Oracle hardware it's supported free with the hardware. If you're putting it on non-Oracle hardware, that is when you buy the support license, which is also very reasonable. It is $1000 dollars per year, so it's not overly expensive."
  • "The price is not good and needs to improve."
  • "This solution needs a license to use it."
  • "Its licensing is on a yearly basis."
  • "There should be an option to install the solution for free and just pay for the support. We purchased an annual license and the price could be better."

GO
CEO at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Powerful with high availability and very stable

What is our primary use case?

Clients mainly use the solution as a database operating system in many environments. Most who are using it are financial institutions, telecoms, or companies in the energy sector.

• "Oracle Solaris is great due to the fact that it actually is meant for high-end servers."
  • "Currently, there are two variants, there's SPARC and there's x86. I would have wanted a scenario where they're all just one product."

What other advice do I have?

In our company, we don't use Oracle Solaris. As a person, I was employed as a Solaris System Administrator. I'm just a consultant. We don't use Oracle Solaris, because we're not big enough to use the solution ourselves. Overall, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. I would highly recommend Oracle Solaris. It's a stable operating system and it's been around for a long time. If you're planning to have an Oracle Database, the best operating system for the Oracle Database is Oracle Solaris. If anybody is implementing a new solution or a new environment and thinks of putting in Oracle Database…
Diego E. Aguirre
Oracle ACE - Specialized in Systems Technologies at Telecom Argentina
I've worked with different flavors of Unix, but I chose Solaris. I like the constant innovation in the software and hardware.

What is our primary use case?

I work with Solaris Operating systems since a lot of years, every day, as technical support specialist

What other advice do I have?

I always recommend Solaris because of its robustness, high availability, scalability, virtualization, excellent support, security and very good hardware.
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Solaris. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.
WB
Service Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, scalable, and easy installation

What is our primary use case?

We are using Oracle Solaris for an external data center. We switched to Oracle Solaris because we outsourced Oracle to a third party and they went from Oracle Linux to Solaris because of license issues with Oracle Linux. We had to then go over as well for some functionality reasons, such as to do hard partitioning. We were able to minimize the number of CPU cores available for Oracle Linux which help save money because we did not have to pay full price. We do not use Solaris in general terms because we are end-users, we are an application service provider. We have an external party that… more »

• "The stability of the solution is good."
  • "When we switch over to Solaris it was not easy because we had some troubles with the performance. Solaris is from Oracle and you would expect that it would run flawlessly, but we had some issues in sizing the previous Linux environment to the Solaris environment."

What other advice do I have?

I would prefer Linux then Oracle Solaris because it is more open. If you are in a commercial environment, then use a commercial Linux version, not a free version. We have seven customers using Red Hat, the support is very good, and there are hardly any issues. I will not recommend Solaris because of the attitude of Oracle, what we have experienced in the database, how they handle licenses, and legally. They are not a company that is fair and are very aggressively trying to get money. However, they provide a solid solution. I rate Oracle Solaris a nine out of ten.
Marcel Hofstetter
Oracle ACE Director "Solaris " / CEO / Enterprise Consultant at JomaSoft
It includes two virtualization solutions: LDoms for SPARC and Solaris Zones. Both solutions can be combined to create private clouds.

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle Solaris to develop and support our VDCF (Virtual Datacenter Cloud Framework) management software. Several virtual machines (LDoms and Zones) are used on SPARC and x86 Servers.

What other advice do I have?

Use deployment tools for automation and avoid doing everything manually. Deployment tools help to avoid errors and create a standardized environment.
MK
Senior Manager IT Operations at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great security and reliability with responsive technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for multiple purposes. We are using it, for example, for our local environment, and we are using it for our core banking. We even use it for our database and a lot of other things.

• "The backup capabilities are quite good."
  • "It would be helpful if the solution offered backend management. In the 11.4 version, Oracle added a management console. It would be great if we maybe had a user management tool to go with it."

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Oracle. I would 100% recommend the solution to other organizations. The solution has been quite reliable and secure. For an enterprise environment, it's a great product. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.
MA
Technical Presales Consultant/ Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
High database performance, effective containers, but better application integration needed

What is our primary use case?

I used Oracle Solaris in business. There are customers that need to backup their Oracle Solaris servers. I would help integrate a solution, such as Veeam, which has an agent for Solaris to backup the Solaris operating system.

• "Oracle Solaris was the preferred operating system for their customers to run their databases on and to get the best performance. It performs well with Oracle applications. Additionally, there are some features inside that are called zones which are Linux containers."
  • "I believe before Oracle was using Oracle Linux, they were using Oracle Solaris for their customers who are using Oracle databases. This was because it was more optimized for the hardware built for it. It has good performance for the database only. However, if you take it out of the Oracle applications, it will not do well compared to other operating systems, such as Linux or even Windows can have better performance."

What other advice do I have?

If you downloaded Oracle databases you could use this solution but there are better solutions, such as Oracle Linux. Linux has proven to be better performance than Solaris in many aspects. If you approach Oracle and ask them, which one you should use Oracle Solaris or Oracle Linux, they would say Oracle Linux. I rate Oracle Solaris a seven out of ten.
AS
Deputy IT Manager at ICAPP (Americana Group)
Very stable and safe, but needs specific hardware and not easy to use

What is our primary use case?

It is used for Oracle applications and Oracle Database.

• "It works well. It is very stable and very good. It is also very safe. It cannot be easily infected by viruses or attacks."
  • "It is not easy to use. It doesn't have a user-friendly interface. It should be easy to use. We are planning to move from Solaris to Linux because Linux is more flexible and user-friendly. Its installation should also be easier. Solaris also needs specific hardware to work well, which is another reason why we are moving to Linux. It should be more flexible in terms of hardware. It should have better integration with other hardware platforms."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is stable and safe but not easy to use. It is very good for Oracle applications. I would rate Oracle Solaris a seven out of ten.
KH
Data Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, scalable, but price reduction needed

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution as an operating system for some of our charging systems.

What is most valuable?

One of the main features of this solution is the ease of use.

I have been using the solution for approximately ten years.

The solution is stable.

The scalability of the solution is good and we have approximately 10 users using it.

The technical support was satisfactory.

We used a vendor team to do the implementation of the solution.

There…
Download our free Oracle Solaris Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.