Oracle Solaris Overview

Oracle Solaris is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Operating Systems for Business. It is most often compared to Oracle Linux: Oracle Solaris vs Oracle Linux

What is Oracle Solaris?

Oracle Solaris is a complete, secure, enterprise-grade cloud platform. From built-in, near zero-overhead virtualization and application-driven Software Defined Networking, to scalable data management and high availability clustering, we give you everything you need to build your enterprise cloud.

Oracle Solaris 11.3 is the world's most advanced enterprise operating system. It delivers security, speed, and simplicity for enterprise cloud environments and DevOps

For more information on Oracle Solaris, visit Oracle.com

Oracle Solaris is also known as Solaris 11, Solaris.

Oracle Solaris Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Solaris Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Oracle Solaris Customers
Siemens, IVV
Oracle Solaris Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Interim CTO at Vectorsec
Combines the power of a neural network with the benefits of virtualization to improve the AI's performance

What is our primary use case?

Oracle Solaris has inspired my professional artificial intelligence system and research activity for a new operating system dedicated and focused on cybersecurity. The System Management facility helps the administration of my development server, and by using the professional FLEXCUBE financial application, I have tested the capability of trading features within my project.

• "Its networking has helped me combine the power of a neural network with the benefits of virtualization to improve the AI's performance."
  • "I would love to see improvements in SVM, so file systems could be increased or migrated without downtime to the environment, similar to what ZFS is capable of."

What other advice do I have?

Best choice for professional workers: I personally suggest Oracle Solaris. I'm happy to test the Oracle Solaris 11.4 Beta.
IT Specialist at Bureau of labor statistics
Allows us to move our database from platform to platform; it's reliable and secure

What other advice do I have?

Regarding selecting a vendor, we are public sector, so we need to have a vendor that has been an industry leader for a long period of time. That's so we can have, in the next decade or two, have reliability. I think I'd follow the majority of the customers and learn what the vendor has been doing, but not only in the past, what they intend to do in the future as well. I base my rating of nine out of 10 on the technical solution, and the customer relationship, and the technical support.
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Solaris. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
501,818 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enables us to transition our large customers from datacenters to the cloud

What other advice do I have?

To me, the perfect vendor provides reliability, that's the big one. And security. That is the other big one.
Senior System Administrator at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Compressible file system has been a great benefit for archiving large numbers of small text files

What other advice do I have?

Nowadays, I don't think Solaris has a lot of advantages over less expensive options. I do love ZFS and have found it to be very stable. I don't have much experience with it in other distributions but some early attempts with fuse were not stable. That was a while ago, so I bet you can get a stable release of something with ZFS.
Chief Operating Officer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
It feels like Oracle and Solaris are designed to properly work together.

What other advice do I have?

Implementing this product is a no brainer if you are using Oracle databases on SPARC.
Software Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
It is stable and it scales. Unlike open source solutions, there is service for it.

What other advice do I have?

It's scalable. It's stable. You have service for it. If you have a problem, you call and there will be somebody coming and helping you with it. I can't live without Solaris, because that’s my job. Solaris has a big customer base, compared to others; at least that's what I feel. I'm mostly focusing on Linux as its competitor. I see that you have servers there; you can scale much higher than on Linux. Linux is more in the field where you do multiple small systems, and I'm at the end of big-use systems.
Staff Engineer, Database Engineering at a media company with 5,001-10,000 employees
I can see the whole picture and analyze the data.

What other advice do I have?

I like it. If someone asked me for advice, I’d encourage them to use the Oracle.
Snr Unix Admin at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Backwards compatibility and stability are the most valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

I don't know if I would recommend this solution. It depends on what and how they want to implement it. I definitely would not advise against it, but a lot depends on, not only on the applications, but also on the skill set that they have. If they have people who know Linux and no one who knows Solaris, go with Linux. I have seen system administrators who don't even know that Unix types other than Linux exist. So, asking them to do something on a different Unix operating system, be it Solaris or HP-UX or a long list of others, that's useless. They know only Linux. That's probably more of a…
Platform Architect at Ally Financial Inc.
It provides flexibility in virtualization and in dynamic reallocation of resources.

What other advice do I have?

When you're doing a TCO analysis, you have to take all factors into consideration, such as migration cost, training cost, back line support cost, professional service cost and to the entire solution. A lot of the vendors just wanted us to pinpoint one area without thinking about the wider-range impact. It makes a big difference.
senior managed consultant at a tech services company
The DTrace feature offers performance and fault analysis.

What other advice do I have?

The Solaris Unix platform is very powerful, simple, and scalable. The on-premise environment is optimized, but the cloud environment is not. If you need a Unix platform, I recommend Oracle Cloud. Oracle Cloud only supports Unix platforms.
Manager, Database Administration/Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's solid in terms of security.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend it. When I’m looking at vendors to work with, I definitely look for one with a good reputation of being reliable because that provides a solid foundation for the many components that will run on it. It's definitely not like the sort of software that you can get from some new start-up, which might provide more features and value. The product and the vendor have to be proven.
Oracle Database Technical Systems Consultant at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Using it in conjunction with Oracle Solaris Cluster, our organization can achieve the best possible Oracle database performance, security and failover capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

Before adopting Oracle Solaris, extensive pre-testing is needed in order to gain the necessary experience. Ideally, certification on Oracle Solaris for related IT team members is desirable.
System Architect at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
Oracle Solaris 11 is highly scalable and fault-tolerant.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Oracle solutions such as T5 Super-Cluster, T5-8 and the Oracle Solaris 11 operating system, as they are highly scalable and fault-tolerant systems. I rate Solaris 10 a 7.
Infrastructure Consultant at a tech company with 51-200 employees
By standardising the infrastructure, we were able to reduce the number of physical hosts.

What other advice do I have?

If you have never done it or you do not have a sufficient amount of experience, hire an external consultant or an Oracle consultant to do the job.
OSS Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Zones: allows for better server utilization. Drives number of physical servers down.

What other advice do I have?

As I've mentioned, it’s hard for me to make any recommendations as I have been working with RedHat for a long time now.
Consultant: Unix and Clusters (Orange UNIX Engineering) at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Robust kernel and its patch and package management system is strong.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a very good product to use. You are going to love this OS. I still love Solaris; for me, it’s always been the best.
Manager - Systems Engineering at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
The most valuable features to me are ZFS, Automated Installer, and Kernel Zones.

What other advice do I have?

Solaris 11 OS is as good as Linux. In fact, some of their features are way more advanced than Linux. But you need to self-learn, get to the comfort level of using it and push others to do so, especially the platform consumers.
Assistant Vice President - (Unix) at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Zones and resource allocation through capping and project is my favourite feature.

What other advice do I have?

Even though nowadays, I am using RedHat Linux, in my environment, I miss Solaris a lot. Trust Solaris. It is still better than Linux in many ways.
Oracle Consultant / Infrastructure Platform Architect at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stability, scalability, dependability, and high availability. The OS still needs a more visual interface.

What other advice do I have?

Again, with any project, know the problem; know your available options. There might be multiple options in different products available from the same vendor. Decide which ones together will work best for you, and it will at times definitely not be the one that is being proposed by sales. Don’t be afraid to push the vendor to the edge. At times, the best options/solution might cost you some red eyes/sleepless nights, but they also long-term put you ahead of the curve of your competitors.
Enterprise Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The compliance command simplifies how complex security audits are performed.

What other advice do I have?

Have an open mind when looking at a new OS. Many things have changed in the last five years, you can not compare Solaris 11 to older versions.
Malware Reseacher, Instructor, Consultant and Speaker at BlackStormSecurity
By using Solaris Zones, I have consolidated big environments into just a few hosts.

What other advice do I have?

Before implementing Oracle Solaris, my best recommendation would be to know all its available features for making the right choices. I have seen several implemented solutions which are working, but they could have implemented better techniques and methods if more appropriate features had been chosen for the specific project.
Download our free Oracle Solaris Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.