Oracle SQL Developer Overview

Oracle SQL Developer is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top IDE tools. It is most often compared to Toad Data Modeler: Oracle SQL Developer vs Toad Data Modeler

What is Oracle SQL Developer?

Oracle SQL Developer is a free integrated development environment that simplifies the development and management of Oracle Database in both traditional and Cloud deployments. SQL Developer offers complete end-to-end development of your PL/SQL applications, a worksheet for running queries and scripts, a DBA console for managing the database, a reports interface, a complete data modeling solution, and a migration platform for moving your 3rd party databases to Oracle.

For more information on Oracle SQL Developer, visit Oracle.com

Oracle SQL Developer Customers

Prinova

Oracle SQL Developer Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Senior Partner at a manufacturing company with 1-10 employees
Covers everything from querying a database to monitoring to producing diagrams

What is our primary use case?

I use the product, and the many aspects of it, because it covers everything from querying a database to monitoring to making a conceptual model to getting the model from the database and producing diagrams. It has many uses.

• "You can install it on every platform. It just works. The other thing is that it's free. And Oracle is committed to the development of the tool, so it has been improving."
  • "There is room for improvement in the Real Time SQL Monitoring."
  • "It's more stable sometimes and less stable other times. I have used it in Windows, Mac, and Linux. It's variable, it's not the same stability. I think that can be improved on."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice, I would first ask you what you are expecting from the tool and, if it is in the scope of Oracle SQL Developer, I would recommend it. I rate this solution at nine out of 10. It accomplishes what I expect. It's a nine and not a 10 because, it needs better real-time monitoring of development.
Oracle Developer at Freelancer
Does not overwhelm a user with too many features, and it's free

What is our primary use case?

Right now I am using SQL Developer to install a database, and I use it as a client tool.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's a good product in the sense that it does not overwhelm you with many features. So I would give it a 10 out of 10. I would recommend it.
CEO at ITFS
Streamlines database maintenance but needs better support for background processes

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is developing and maintaining databases.

• "I would like it to support background processes better."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor the most important criterion is that they are professional. I rate this solution at six out of 10 because there are better tools that I am using. One of them is Toad, from Quest Software. Toad is more intuitive, easier to use, doing better work, and has more features. I prefer Toad. But if it is a question of budget, it's better to use SQL Developer.
    DBA at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Very user-friendly and free, with good support

What is our primary use case?

It's for monitoring the database and for PL/SQL Developer.

How has it helped my organization?

We can install it on each machine, every user can install it by himself. And we have a lot of support for the utility from Oracle, for free.

What is most valuable?

It's free and very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see it support NoSQL database.

Stability is very good.

Scalability is very good.

Technical support is helpful. We open an SR with Oracle and they answer us in the SR.

We used Toad. We move to…
    DBA at Yediot
    Enables QA to query and tune databases, GUI is helpful

What is our primary use case?

Database querying, curating scripts, and database tuning.

• "If they had something on the Web then you wouldn't need to install it, just query, like Enterprise Manager."

What other advice do I have?

Just try it. It's very easy.
      DBA
      Enables us to manage user databases but user interface could be nicer

What is our primary use case?

We manage user databases and we see execution plans for performance. It's performing very well.

How has it helped my organization?

We can understand where everything is and we can we work with it very easily.

What is most valuable?

It's free, it's very easy to use, and has a nice GUI.

What needs improvement?

Although the GUI is nice, it could still use improvement, a better user interface.

It's a stable solution.

It's scalable. Everybody can install it on his or her machine.

Technical support is good.

It's easy to set up.
      Senior Consultant at Contracted by Siemens
      You do not have to install it, just dump it on the OS, then use it

What is our primary use case?

We use it daily to merge our databases. In my function, I use it as my client database. I am also using a newer version. It is small client, which is new product. We use the GUI product daily. This is my daily tool for whatever I am doing.

• "I have a lot of flexibility with it."
      • "The newer version has a lot of new features. It generates output and scripts for your Ultrix. It can generate JSON, XML, etc."
      • "You do not have to install it, just dump it on the OS, then use it."
      • "The competing products have more features."

What other advice do I have?

Try this if you do not need a lot of storage, especially since it is free and if it is the newer version with no GUI version. Everybody should try it because you do not have to code things to create output from JSON or DDL. It allows you to get everything you want together: tables, indexes, etc.
      DBA at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      The solution is free but it needs a conventional installer rather than a .zip file

What is our primary use case?

We use it to support developers. Its main use is for developers to connect to a database.

• "The stability depends on what version you're using. There are more successful versions and are less successful versions. For example, 17.3 is less successful. There were many bugs. Now, we are trying to pull all the developers to upgrade to 17.4."

What other advice do I have?

Using this solution depends on budget and on the number of developers. The more developers you have, the less you will want SQL Developer.
        Database Development Engineer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Leaderboard
        It tightly integrates with other Oracle products and database features/options.

What other advice do I have?

Invest some time on standardizing the preferences/reports and centralize them so that all of your developers use exactly the same setup. For example, you could customize all the preferences that format your code in order to follow your company’s SQL and PL/SQL standards.
        Data Architect / Data Modeler - Contract at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
        "Explain Plan" enables me to analyze performance

• "Ability to analyze performance, using Explain Plan statement."
        • "It would be nice to have the ability to access DBs than Oracle."

What other advice do I have?

It’s a great tool for accessing and exploring Oracle Databases.
        Ingeniero Especialista at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
        ​Helps us to test and to develop scripts for monitoring applications

What is our primary use case?

We use it for test queries, before implementing scripts for monitoring. Also, we use it for querying and getting data of the whole environment monitored with our products.

How has it helped my organization?

Helps us to test and to develop scripts for monitoring applications.

What is most valuable?

I only use it for connecting to instances and to do queries, I don't know details of the features.

What needs improvement?

Queries.

Three to five years.

No stability issues as of yet.

No scalability issues as of yet.

I have not used it.

Which

Sócio Diretor at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
        Easy to use, nice interface, helps me to do lots of query turning

• "Using execution plan, I am able to do lots of query tuning."
        • "The initial setup is always a problem, it cannot find the Java SDK."

What other advice do I have?

Take care during the initial setup and have patience. It can be too heavy and eat your memory.
        IBM Message Broker Developer - Onsite Technical Lead at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
        Most valuable feature is the export option on query results

What is most valuable?

Export option on query results.

How has it helped my organization?

Faster access to DB tables.

What needs improvement?

Could be made to load faster.

Five years.

Customer Service: Good. Technical Support: Good.

It was easy.

Good.

Good.

No changes required. …
        Cloud Transf & Migr Innov Sr Principal at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
        Facilitates very good integration with database features/options

What other advice do I have?

Invest some time in standardizing the preferences.
        Oracle architect & senior DBA, OBIEE data analytics, warehousing & ETL specialist at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
        Among the most valuable features is the automated unit test capability for PL/SQL development

• "It allows us to implement a form of test driven development (TDD) for database-resident code."
        • "There are occasional runtime issues that are easily worked around, especially on a Windows deployment."

What other advice do I have?

For data architects, it offers the advantage of being part of the same tool set as the cost-free license for Oracle Data Modeler. Together, they form a nice tool kit for data architects as well as database developers and other specializations.
        Founder & Oracle Database Consultant / Trainer at RebellionRider.Com at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
        The Data Modeler helps me, and the Data Pump wizard relieves the developer from writing code.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great open-source software, power packed with features. The initial setup is simple, which means less mess in terms of training the employees. Moreover, it is fairly stable which makes it a wonderful choice.
        Assistant Director, Applications Development Services in the Student Collaboration Center at Temple University
        This product is delivered at no cost to us as Oracle users. We even have non-tech, functional users installing it on their own with only a little guidance from us.

What other advice do I have?

Don't hesitate and, to get the most out of the product, explore some of the free online tutorials and webinars around using the product. For example, lots of great info at www.thatjeffsmith.com.
        Manager - Technical at Molina Healthcare
        The product is simple, with easy to use functionality. UI is user-friendly.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely advise others to look into this tool and it’s solution. The number one criteria whilst choosing a vendor, is support. If you get the right support; that is if you are able to meet the SLAs, the business SLAs, and in my opinion that is what the company looks at. One of the reasons, as I said, it is quite simple, but has its own complexities. For example, when you pull more than 20 million records from the finance table, there is some performance impact.
        Engineer at Cisco WebEx
        It gives you a complete picture of the database.

What other advice do I have?

It's an independent platform. You can use it anywhere. It's good, scalable and a lot of times, it works as-is. We have very few calls to support. It is Mac compatible team, and it is Java based.
        Principal and Owner at Sandwich Analytics
        Allowed me to create top-quality source and object deployment methodologies.
        Senior Level 2 Software Engineer at Akamai Technologies
        I can see all of the database objects within each schema, edit them and create new ones.

What other advice do I have?

Read as much as you can. Just use it. I've been doing this for 25 years, so it's very easy to me. The more you do it, the easier it is. It's just the best out there.
        Infrastructure Principal at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
        The Cart feature allows you to select all of the components developers had been working on, and patch them up into a file with everything our DBAs need to roll that onto production.

What other advice do I have?

It has done everything that I needed it to do, and it doesn't cost you anything. That's the first pitch. Then, when you start saying, "Okay, well how do I get involved with SQL Developer, how do I take advantage of it?" One is, you can go to the OTN website or the downloads at the Oracle.com website, and you can download a copy. It's an install. Actually, it's not an install; it's an unzip. You don't have to worry about specific issues such as not being able to install software on your computer because of corporate policy; you just unzip the file you wanted. Then I follow that with going back…
        IT Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
        Many of the small features are the biggest time-savers, such as persistent highlighting of rows or cells in the data grid.

What other advice do I have?

Read Jeff Smith’s blog. If you think a feature should be there, investigate. Quite likely, it’s already there; maybe you just overlooked it. If it’s not, open a feature request at sqldeveloper.oracle.com. Learn a handful of shortcuts (or two), it will improve your efficiency enormously.
        DBA at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        The speed with which you can build SQL statements and PL/SQL code has been very valuable.

What other advice do I have?

Download it, install it and never stop using it. I would give it a ten out of ten.
        Senior Technical Evangelist at Snowflake Computing
        It can quickly reverse engineer a database structure into a data model. The drag-and-drop feature helps you build queries.

What other advice do I have?

I am a blogger, The Data Warrior, and I have multiple blog posts on it about these tools. My most popular blog post was when I wrote, probably almost three years ago now, about how to connect Data Modeler to SQL Server. The second most popular blog post is the very first one I wrote about the Data Modeler. Every so often, I go back and have to update it because there's new releases. Every client I have had and every organization I have worked for since Data Modeler came out and SQL Developer came out, I get them using it. I have had several organizations that were using Toad and when time came…
        Sr. Team Lead, Enterprise Platform Solutions at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        I use it for cleaning the database, looking at the information about objects and data manipulation.
        Software Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
        Other PL/SQL IDE don't have the same modelling capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

Invest enough time beforehand so you would fully understand how Oracle SQL Developer works and behaves in some situations. It is a very powerful tool, but sometimes it "works in mysterious ways", just like any Oracle's desktop product. (JDeveloper is the best example.)
        Senior OBIEE Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
        It's helpful since I work with a query generator (OBIEE) and sometimes have to look at hundreds of lines of SQL.