Oracle SQL Developer OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Oracle SQL Developer?

Oracle SQL Developer is a free integrated development environment that simplifies the development and management of Oracle Database in both traditional and Cloud deployments. SQL Developer offers complete end-to-end development of your PL/SQL applications, a worksheet for running queries and scripts, a DBA console for managing the database, a reports interface, a complete data modeling solution, and a migration platform for moving your 3rd party databases to Oracle.

For more information on Oracle SQL Developer, visit Oracle.com

Oracle SQL Developer Customers

Prinova

Oracle SQL Developer Video

Archived Oracle SQL Developer Reviews (more than two years old)

Martin Klier
Senior Database Consultant at Performing Databases
Helps me streamline and unify my approach for different customers

• "I like it because it's very similar in output to SQL *Plus, and it has many convenience features that make it easier to read the data and use the basic reporting features it provides."
  • "It's easy to deploy, I can copy it onto the system and run it without having to install it and this makes it a very good solution for quick use."
  • "I think it would be great to have an overview over the sessions it opens so that we could easily see and control which connections to the database we want to keep open, which ones are hanging; and it would be great to make them independent from each other."
  • "Scalability has room for improvement. Often if you have to do a heavy load of queries or are getting large result sets you have to be careful not to overload the Java virtual machine that's running."

What is our primary use case?

I usually use SQL Developer for tuning and analyzing databases, to visualise results, create simple reports and to simplify work by using simple scripts.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes life easier because I don't need to install something onsite when I am with a customer. And, since it's free, it helps me to unify and streamline my approach over multiple projects so I don't have to have a different approach for different customers.

The new version 18 is really helpful, with a more flexible GUI and more reliable connectors.

More than five years.

The stability of SQL Developer has greatly improved. In the latest versions, it has been getting better and better. Nowadays, you can use it without thinking about it.

There is no technical support but the community supports it and the product manager is especially helpful if it comes down to problems.

I had to decide which solution we would use for a generic approach; and it was SQL Developer, in our case. At first, we worked with non-graphical utilities, command-line utilities and, but it was beneficial to have something that makes displaying data simpler.

When selecting a vendor it's important to me that the vendor has a reputation for a product; the vendor has to be reliable and predictable as well.

In house

License is free, setup is simple and scriptable.

There are many capable vendors in this category, but since we usually work with Oracle, a product from Oracle was the first choice. In this case, it has the advantage that it's free. The next best competitor would cost several thousand dollars.

What other advice do I have?

I think you should make yourself familiar with this product and get into the core functionality first, before making a decision.

I would rate it a nine out of 10 because I like its features, how well it is integrated into the core Oracle Database, and it's the first choice when you have to do stuff within the database.

Carlos Thomas
Senior Partner at a manufacturing company with 1-10 employees
Leaderboard
Covers everything from querying a database to monitoring to producing diagrams

• "You can install it on every platform. It just works. The other thing is that it's free. And Oracle is committed to the development of the tool, so it has been improving."
  • "There is room for improvement in the Real Time SQL Monitoring."
  • "It's more stable sometimes and less stable other times. I have used it in Windows, Mac, and Linux. It's variable, it's not the same stability. I think that can be improved on."

What is our primary use case?

I use the product, and the many aspects of it, because it covers everything from querying a database to monitoring to making a conceptual model to getting the model from the database and producing diagrams. It has many uses.

How has it helped my organization?

If you make it the tool you use, everyone can talk the same "language" in terms of the tool and the use cases. Once you know it, how to use it, you can tell the whole organization how a given task will be done.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement in the Real Time SQL Monitoring.

More than five years.

It's more stable sometimes and less stable other times. I have used it on Windows, Mac, and Linux. It's variable, it's not the same stability. I think that can be improved on.

It can be used by many because it's mainly a client-server.

When I have had a problem I have gone to blogs or developers' sites for answers. I have not submitted a formal case to Oracle Support.

Developer is centered on Oracle. I have the need now to monitor a much larger diversity of things. We are talking about monitoring cloud infrastructure where you have machines, where you have many other things, apart from the development. Also, SQL Developer is backed by Oracle, it's free, and it accomplishes what we need to be done.

My most important criteria when selecting a vendor are, first, the vendor's reputation, and then the feedback I see from other users.

It's very simple to set up.

It's free.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice, I would first ask you what you are expecting from the tool and, if it is in the scope of Oracle SQL Developer, I would recommend it.

I rate this solution at nine out of 10. It accomplishes what I expect. It's a nine and not a 10 because, it needs better real-time monitoring of development.

it_user809538
Oracle Developer at Freelancer
Does not overwhelm a user with too many features, and it's free

What is our primary use case?

Right now I am using SQL Developer to install a database, and I use it as a client tool.

What is most valuable?

Oracle is tremendous. I have always said to everybody, without knowing other databases, that Oracle is the best database that can exist in this world. That's for sure. Everybody is considering cost, mainly, so I've heard many stories recently of migrating to PostgreSQL, for example, because it's open-source and many small customers don't need all the super advanced features of Oracle, which costs a lot of money.

But on the other side, a great feature of Oracle, I think, is that it allows me to download the database and use it at home. Not a demo database or something restricted but the full version. That's fantastic.

What needs improvement?

I tried using SQL Developer once, when I was still working as an employee, using one of the older versions. It worked nicely, and I liked that I didn't need an installation, it was very convenient. But after many years, when I tried to use it again, against the more advanced Oracle Database, it did not work. Something in the Java was not compatible. I would have had to install it again, and I didn't do so.

But now I am properly studying the issue of installing a database of my own, versus installing a virtual box with an Oracle appliance inside. I will have to see which one works best for me because each one has pros and cons. I am not a DBA. So if I get involved in an installation problem, I don't know how to get out of it.

Personally, I always prefer to use a product from Oracle. First of all, this one is free. And second, it is not so complicated. In another company, for example, the strategic development tool was Toad. And they have even joined Toad with a version manager, the specific version manager, and everybody had to work with Toad. I did not like Toad. So I occasionally worked with SQL Developer, but mostly I worked without any development tool, just writing in an editor, in Notepad. So I developed my entire career, practically, in Notepad.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's a good product in the sense that it does not overwhelm you with many features. So I would give it a 10 out of 10.

I would recommend it.

it_user809544
CEO at ITFS
Streamlines database maintenance but needs better support for background processes

• "I would like it to support background processes better."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is developing and maintaining databases.

What is most valuable?

Maintaining databases is the most valuable feature in Oracle SQL Developer. It's also easy to use, fast, and intuitive.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better tuning modules. It could also be more intuitive, easier to use, not so complicated finding the things you need to do, and support background processes better.

It's not so stable. Sometimes it crashes, and the connection to the databases is bad.

The scalability is very good. It can scale out, up.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor the most important criterion is that they are professional.

I rate this solution at six out of 10 because there are better tools that I am using. One of them is Toad, from Quest Software. Toad is more intuitive, easier to use, doing better work, and has more features.

I prefer Toad. But if it is a question of budget, it's better to use SQL Developer.

it_user809577
    DBA at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Very user-friendly and free, with good support

What is our primary use case?

It's for monitoring the database and for PL/SQL Developer.

How has it helped my organization?

We can install it on each machine, every user can install it by himself. And we have a lot of support for the utility from Oracle, for free.

What is most valuable?

It's free and very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see it support NoSQL database.

Stability is very good.

Scalability is very good.

Technical support is helpful. We open an SR with Oracle and they answer us in the SR.

We used Toad. We move to…

What is our primary use case?

It's for monitoring the database and for PL/SQL Developer.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

It's free and very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see it support NoSQL database.

Stability is very good.

Scalability is very good.

We used Toad. We move to this solution because it's free. Toad costs a lot of money.

The initial setup was straightforward.

it_user809562
    DBA at Yediot
    Enables QA to query and tune databases, GUI is helpful

• "If they had something on the Web then you wouldn't need to install it, just query, like Enterprise Manager."

What is our primary use case?

Database querying, curating scripts, and database tuning.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a QA team and we don't want to buy a special product for them just to query the database, so we use Oracle SQL Developer.

What is most valuable?

It's free.

What needs improvement?

It's stable. It's a little bit slower because of Java, but it's stable.

It's scalable.

We used to use SQL *Plus, but we needed something with more of a GUI for users who are not technical users.

When selecting a vendor the most important criterion is the price.

Setup is very easy.

This was the only free solution we evaluated. And it belongs to Oracle so that was good for us.

Toad is much faster to use. It's not Java which takes a lot of time to query and create things. You just install it on Windows and it works perfectly. Much better than the Java.

What other advice do I have?

Just try it. It's very easy.

it_user809574
      DBA
      Enables us to manage user databases but user interface could be nicer

What is our primary use case?

We manage user databases and we see execution plans for performance. It's performing very well.

How has it helped my organization?

We can understand where everything is and we can we work with it very easily.

What is most valuable?

It's free, it's very easy to use, and has a nice GUI.

What needs improvement?

Although the GUI is nice, it could still use improvement, a better user interface.

It's a stable solution.

It's scalable. Everybody can install it on his or her machine.

Technical support is good.

It's easy to set up.

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

We can understand where everything is and we can we work with it very easily.

What is most valuable?

It's free, it's very easy to use, and has a nice GUI.

It's a stable solution.

It's scalable. Everybody can install it on his or her machine.

Technical support is good.

It's easy to set up.

it_user809487
      Senior Consultant at Contracted by Siemens
      You do not have to install it, just dump it on the OS, then use it

• "I have a lot of flexibility with it."
      • "The newer version has a lot of new features. It generates output and scripts for your Ultrix. It can generate JSON, XML, etc."
      • "You do not have to install it, just dump it on the OS, then use it."
      • "The competing products have more features."

What is our primary use case?

We use it daily to merge our databases. In my function, I use it as my client database.

I am also using a newer version. It is small client, which is new product. We use the GUI product daily. This is my daily tool for whatever I am doing.

How has it helped my organization?

• It is very easy to use.
      • I have a lot of flexibility with it.
      • For DBA tasks, it is also very good.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The competing products have more features.

It is stable. There are no problems. It is a client.

It is just client. It does not really matter. It is scalable, especially the newer version is non-GUI version. You do not have to install it, just dump it on the OS, then use it.

There is no setup. It is just set it up and you connect the database.

It is basically free.

What other advice do I have?

Try this if you do not need a lot of storage, especially since it is free and if it is the newer version with no GUI version. Everybody should try it because you do not have to code things to create output from JSON or DDL. It allows you to get everything you want together: tables, indexes, etc.

it_user809580
      DBA at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      The solution is free but it needs a conventional installer rather than a .zip file

• "The stability depends on what version you're using. There are more successful versions and are less successful versions. For example, 17.3 is less successful. There were many bugs. Now, we are trying to pull all the developers to upgrade to 17.4."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to support developers. Its main use is for developers to connect to a database.

How has it helped my organization?

The main benefit of SQL Developer is that it is free.

What is most valuable?

The possibility to connect.

What needs improvement?

There are many additional features I would like to see. The main one would be installation with an installer.

The stability depends on what version you're using. There are more successful versions and are less successful versions. For example, 17.3 is less successful. There were many bugs. Now, we are trying to pull all the developers to upgrade to 17.4.

No problem with scalability.

I used technical support twice. They were not supportive. I didn't get a solution. During the support session, we simply upgraded to the next version. The bug was then gone.

We didn't have a previous solution but, in parallel, we use Toad; its license is expensive.

The important criteria for me when selecting a vendor are good support and an affordable price.

I think a conventional installation, with an installer, would work better. Now, it is a zipped .exe.

What other advice do I have?

Using this solution depends on budget and on the number of developers. The more developers you have, the less you will want SQL Developer.

Galo Balda
        Database Development Engineer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Leaderboard
        It tightly integrates with other Oracle products and database features/options.

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

One of the goals of the tool is to allow the user to complete tasks with the least number of steps. For example, to load an Excel spreadsheet into a table, you just have to complete a simple, four-step wizard and all the data will be in your table.

Another example is having quick access to queries you executed some time ago without having to manually save them. That way, you can still access an important or frequently used query that maybe you forgot to save.

Generating data files from queries with minimum setup is a time saver. You can preset the output format you want (CSV, insert, Excel, JSON to name a few), run your query and the file will be generated in that format.

What is most valuable?

• The tight integration with other Oracle products and database features/options. For example, you can open data models, and review AWR and ASH reports.
        • The ability to reuse your own queries to create report definitions in different layouts and to render the output in HTML/PDF formats.
        • Export table data and query results in at least 10 different output formats.
        • The Cart to collect DDL/DML scripts for DB artifacts that need to be deployed together. Great when you want to execute a repeatable process in several schemas and/or databases.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the Monitor Sessions functionality to provide access to SQL Monitor reports in the same format used by Oracle Enterprise Manager. That would help developers to see what their SQL statements are doing as they run.

The output (generated report) is the same. It's an HTML+ flash type of report that both products allow to save. The part that I like about Oracle Enterprise Manager is that once you get into a report, it keeps refreshing its execution statistics and performance metrics as the query progresses. SQL Developer only shows a snapshot of the execution statistics and performance metrics at the moment you request the report.

Both products have access to the same API to produce these reports so I thought it would be nice if SQL Developer could match OEM's default behavior.

I would like to see more functionality to assist in having database-enforced source control on objects and data.

More than five years.

I think the product is really stable and the Oracle Database Tools team is very responsive to any issues that could impact its usability.

I think this is one of the brightest aspects of SQL Developer. The Product Manager and the main developers are very active in the OTN Forums, Stack Overflow, Social Media, etc. They’re always presenting at conferences, providing articles, blog posts and all kinds of insights on the best ways to use the product.

Technical Support is also great because the SQL Developer team is available to the community, providing answers to questions and releasing bug fixes in a timely manner.

SQL Developer has reached a maturity level where it offers pretty much the same essential functionality (and much more) that you can find in other solutions, with the benefit of being free. Why not use it then?

Initial setup is as easy as download, unzip and start using it. I recommend using the version that includes its own Java Runtime Environment. Of course, this is from the perspective of a single user.

I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Invest some time on standardizing the preferences/reports and centralize them so that all of your developers use exactly the same setup. For example, you could customize all the preferences that format your code in order to follow your company’s SQL and PL/SQL standards.

Data Architect / Data Modeler - Contract at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
        "Explain Plan" enables me to analyze performance

• "Ability to analyze performance, using Explain Plan statement."
        • "It would be nice to have the ability to access DBs than Oracle."

How has it helped my organization?

It's a free tool which allows you to see an Oracle Database structure and run queries against Oracle Databases.

What is most valuable?

• It's a free tool
        • Ability to analyze performance, using Explain Plan statement
        • Ability to export and import data without using any Oracle utilities

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to have the ability to access DBs than Oracle.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

Very good.

I have used tools such as Toad, PL/SQL Developer, SQL Navigator. I switched because this one is free.

Initial set-up was straightforward. Just download the solution from Oracle OTN and after that run the installer.

It’s a free tool.

Toad, SAP ADS, SQL Navigator.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a great tool for accessing and exploring Oracle Databases.

Ingeniero Especialista at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
        ​Helps us to test and to develop scripts for monitoring applications

What is our primary use case?

We use it for test queries, before implementing scripts for monitoring. Also, we use it for querying and getting data of the whole environment monitored with our products.

How has it helped my organization?

Helps us to test and to develop scripts for monitoring applications.

What is most valuable?

I only use it for connecting to instances and to do queries, I don't know details of the features.

What needs improvement?

Queries.

Three to five years.

No stability issues as of yet.

No scalability issues as of yet.

I have not used it.

Which

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

Helps us to test and to develop scripts for monitoring applications.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Queries.

Three to five years.

No stability issues as of yet.

No scalability issues as of yet.

I have not used it.

No, I've always Oracle SQL Developer.

What other advice do I have?

It's very easy to use.

Sócio Diretor at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
        Easy to use, nice interface, helps me to do lots of query turning

• "Using execution plan, I am able to do lots of query tuning."
        • "The initial setup is always a problem, it cannot find the Java SDK."

How has it helped my organization?

Using execution plan, I am able to do lots of query tuning.

What is most valuable?

• Easy to use
        • Nice interface

What needs improvement?

Execution plan.

More than five years.

Because it is in Java, sometimes Java crashes the product, and of course there is the total dependence on Java.

I have never stressed the product to find out.

I have never needed to contact technical support.

I used Embarcadero and Toad. I gave up both because one is for every kind of database (I do not believe in this) and the other is only for Oracle, and its IDE is not good.

The initial setup is always a problem, it cannot find the Java SDK.

I have never paid for it, I use open source.

In Brasil, only big companies can use Oracle because of the price. I prefer NoSQL and open source databases.

Embarcadero and Toad.

What other advice do I have?

Take care during the initial setup and have patience. It can be too heavy and eat your memory.

IBM Message Broker Developer - Onsite Technical Lead at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
        Most valuable feature is the export option on query results

What is most valuable?

Export option on query results.

How has it helped my organization?

Faster access to DB tables.

What needs improvement?

Could be made to load faster.

Five years.

Customer Service: Good. Technical Support: Good.

It was easy.

No changes required. …

What is most valuable?

Export option on query results.

How has it helped my organization?

Faster access to DB tables.

What needs improvement?

Could be made to load faster.

Five years.

It was easy.

No changes required.

it_user729174
        Cloud Transf & Migr Innov Sr Principal at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
        Facilitates very good integration with database features/options

What is most valuable?

Among the most valuable features is the tight integration with database features/options.

• Being able to see all of the database objects.
        • Being able to create objects.
        • Being able to edit objects.
        • Being able to open data models.
        • Being able to review AWR and ASH reports.

How has it helped my organization?

Standardized tool.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be friendlier for the DBA by having dashboards, like Enterprise Manager.

Since 2015.

There are occasional run time issues.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Technical support is great. They are extremely responsive and helpful with issues/questions.

Yes, Toad. I changed because my new company didn’t have a Toad license.

Initial setup is very easy. Download, unzip, and start using it.

A license is not needed for this product.

I did not evaluate other options. Invest some time on standardizing the preferences.

What other advice do I have?

Invest some time in standardizing the preferences.

it_user505650
        Oracle architect & senior DBA, OBIEE data analytics, warehousing & ETL specialist at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees

• "It allows us to implement a form of test driven development (TDD) for database-resident code."
        • "There are occasional runtime issues that are easily worked around, especially on a Windows deployment."

What is most valuable?

Among the most valuable features is the automated unit test capability for PL/SQL development. It allows us to implement a form of test driven development (TDD) for database-resident code.

How has it helped my organization?

We can switch between heterogeneous databases.

After installing a MySQL driver, for example, we can work with these row stores. It also supports Oracle Cloud legacy schema-as-a-service connections and the newer DBaaS connections.

What needs improvement?

I am not aware of any areas for improvement at the moment.

We have been using the solution for eight years.

We did not encounter any issues with deployment.

There are occasional runtime issues that are easily worked around, especially on a Windows deployment. However, these have never been impediments and the installation is regularly updated with patches and fixes.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

This is a self-service offering so customer service is not relevant.

I cannot comment with regard to the technical support.

We did not use a previous solution.

The setup was very simple, using only point-and-click as long as your workstation meets the runtime JDK prerequisite.

Not applicable.

I cannot comment on the ROI.

It's a no-cost license and it offers outstanding functionality on that basis.

What other advice do I have?

For data architects, it offers the advantage of being part of the same tool set as the cost-free license for Oracle Data Modeler. Together, they form a nice tool kit for data architects as well as database developers and other specializations.

it_user538206
        Founder & Oracle Database Consultant / Trainer at RebellionRider.Com at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
        The Data Modeler helps me, and the Data Pump wizard relieves the developer from writing code.

What is most valuable?

This open-source GUI is feature-rich software. If I have to choose one most valuable feature, then I will definitely go with the Data Modeler feature. Modeling the structure of all the data and database objects along with their attributes has always been a challenging and time consuming task. Data modeling always helped me with several projects by being able to draw objects in the plane in no time.

Another interesting feature of SQL Developer is Data Pump. It makes exporting and importing data easier. The wizard form for Data Pump relieves the developer from writing a whole chunk of code, which is a huge relief.

How has it helped my organization?

As a database trainer, I would like to say that although SQL developer is an open-source software, yet it provides a lot of features that you can find only in paid versions of its counterparts. It is lightweight; hence, it takes up less memory space, which makes it more efficient and faster. Furthermore, it has an easy installation process that leads to the company spending less time and money on lengthy trainings for its employees; just a refresher course is enough! This single software can connect with other databases provided by different vendors such as Microsoft SQL Server and MySQL, etc.

What needs improvement?

While working with Data Pump, I have faced a few problems. For example, sometimes it won’t let me change the set file type. Although this was not that big of an issue, yet I think that the Data Pump feature could be further improved.

I have been using SQL Developer for the last three years on a daily basis.

Till now, I haven’t faced any stability issues while working with SQL Developer.

To be frank, I haven’t had the chance to evaluate this software with respect to its scalability.

I didn’t get a chance to talk with technical support because whenever I faced any problem, I just tweeted about it and got the solution from the community. So, a great many thanks to them for helping me out!

I often switch between SQL Developer and TOAD for Oracle depending on their suitability regarding the project that I am working on.

The initial setup was very simple. I just had to download and extract the files. That’s all!

It is an open-source software available for free from Oracle Corporation so no issues with pricing and licensing.

I evaluated TOAD for Oracle, but after using SQL Developer, I kind of grew a liking towards the latter.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great open-source software, power packed with features. The initial setup is simple, which means less mess in terms of training the employees. Moreover, it is fairly stable which makes it a wonderful choice.

Helen J Sanders
        Assistant Director, Applications Development Services in the Student Collaboration Center at Temple University
        This product is delivered at no cost to us as Oracle users. We even have non-tech, functional users installing it on their own with only a little guidance from us.

What is most valuable?

• The code editor
        • The tree view
        • The debugger
        • The support available for the product

How has it helped my organization?

Because I work in higher education, and budget dollars are always limited, the fact that this product is delivered at no cost to us as Oracle users is phenomenal. Only a small fraction of our in-house staff are using another solution to write code that affects our student information system (SIS). IT staff supporting the SIS could not do our jobs without SQL Developer.

What needs improvement?

Since the upgrade to 4.1.5, I have noticed improvement in functionality. I'm not freezing up any longer.

I have used it since 2011.

Deployment is VERY easy. We even have non-tech, functional users installing on their own with only a little guidance from us.

The product is very stable - no issues with version 4.1.5

Personally, the product scales to my needs.

10+

Technical support is EXCELLENT. Both Jeff Smith and Kris Rice are extremely responsive and helpful for issues/questions, etc.

When I first started working with Oracle, It was on a third-party product that my institution purchased. I was using the SQL Worksheet inside OEM to query the database for that one-off product. Once our whole SIS went to Oracle, and we all began using SQL Developer, it was like night and day. HUGE difference.

Our DBA has created a directory on a shared drive that we can simply drag and drop SQL Developer onto local machines from; she's made it very simple for us. But I have also installed right from oracle.com and it's really easy.

An in-house team implemented it.

SQL Dev is free; not sure of what Temple pays for Oracle licensing annually.

Before choosing this product, the institution probably did evaluate other options - but I was not involved in the decision making. Assuming we went with "the free one" which met our needs well, and that's why we chose SQL Dev.

What other advice do I have?

Don't hesitate and, to get the most out of the product, explore some of the free online tutorials and webinars around using the product. For example, lots of great info at www.thatjeffsmith.com.

it_user521805
        Manager - Technical at Molina Healthcare
        The product is simple, with easy to use functionality. UI is user-friendly.

What is most valuable?

I would say the number one feature is it’s easy to use functionality. It is an extremely simple product and the UI is user-friendly.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it for JD Edwards to SQL the queries on the SQL database side, so it gives us the results fast. In this way, we are able to help the business.

The process is that once we run it to get the results, we can optimize it and send them out to the business users.

What needs improvement?

One of the options that I would like to see is the cloud solution (if they have any) because we already implemented the HCM module last year.

We took out the HR part from JD Edwards and moved it into the cloud. That is one of the features that I would like to see, if there is some integration between cloud and organized applications.

I think it is quite stable.

As our company keeps on growing, our data also keeps on growing.

Currently, we are a $12-billion company and this tool supports us.

Our projection in the future, is to grow from $12 billion to $20 billion in the next three years and I am not sure whether it might help then or not, as our data will also grow consequently.

Technical support again, is related more for the other group. We don't deal with this aspect.

In regards to technical support, we just open a ticket in iServe Service Now and those guys, they do all the support.

By the time I joined this company, the solution was already in use.

I was not extensively involved in the setup process but I think it was a low to medium level; not complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely advise others to look into this tool and it’s solution.

The number one criteria whilst choosing a vendor, is support. If you get the right support; that is if you are able to meet the SLAs, the business SLAs, and in my opinion that is what the company looks at.

One of the reasons, as I said, it is quite simple, but has its own complexities. For example, when you pull more than 20 million records from the finance table, there is some performance impact.

it_user521631
        Engineer at Cisco WebEx
        It gives you a complete picture of the database.

What is most valuable?

It is the easiest and quickest way to see the data in the system.

How has it helped my organization?

It's quick and rapid.

You get to the point and you can choose what you want to do. It gives you a complete picture of the database.

What needs improvement?

It should be more Mac friendly.

It is simple.

It is scalable. Although, we don't use it to get large data, still it is scalable.

The technical support provided was always good.

Since it is a Java based, it is more compatible with Mac.

I think it was an easy process.

Cisco is an Oracle shop. So, we have more product support than anyone else, which gives a lot of comfort to move it over.

What other advice do I have?

It's an independent platform. You can use it anywhere.

It's good, scalable and a lot of times, it works as-is. We have very few calls to support. It is Mac compatible team, and it is Java based.

Principal and Owner at Sandwich Analytics
        Allowed me to create top-quality source and object deployment methodologies.

What is most valuable?

In my work in BI development I find that Oracle SQL Developer is the main tool in my tool box. I can use it in so many ways: When I am designing a solution the ability to reverse engineer and diagram a database is an enormous boost to my ability to understand data relationships, in fact the latest versions allow me to see the physical model directly in the 'table viewer'. The way in which the product links into my version control system and helps me manage my database object source (DDL, PL/SQL etc) is a real plus. The way in which the 'cart' feature helps me create a simple way group objects to deploy and finally the way that I can use the tool to help me tune my code for optimal performance using the SQL monitoring and query plan features - the ability to compare plans and traces by a simple right-click is simply amazing.

And if that was not enough - true data-nerds can work with Oracle OLAP and Data Mining directly in the product

How has it helped my organization?

SQL Developer has allowed me to produce excellent system documentation, rapidly optimise query performance and allowed me to create top-quality source and object deployment methodologies.

What needs improvement?

The GUI ‘navigator’ screen uses different icons for partitioned, indexed organised tables. temporary and of course conventional tables. This allows users to see at a glance the type of table object in use. This is not the case with indexes in the viewer - they all look the same so can’t tell if it is a bitmap index, a unique index, a partitioned index or what. A minor irritation, not a big problem.

Since the first pre-released version (Raptor).

None - if you have the correct Java SDK on your system you are good to go after unpacking a single zip archive.

This is so simple to implement - almost anyone could do it.

The beauty of this product is that is free to those with an Oracle database.

it_user521538
        Senior Level 2 Software Engineer at Akamai Technologies
        I can see all of the database objects within each schema, edit them and create new ones.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are being able to see all of the database objects – every single one of them – within each schema; being able to edit them; and being able to create objects. My whole job is done in there.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution I've created is revenue forecasting and our organization goes to Wall Street with the earnings call, with the forecast. So it's very valuable to the finance department.

What needs improvement?

I would say the layout should be improved. I've also have used PL/SQL Developer, and I like the layout, the landscape, of that application better than SQL Dev. Even though, in SQL Dev, you can highlight every single view and save the DDL, where you can't do that in PL/SQL Developer, the layout is what I would suggest as far as an area with room for improvement.

SQL Developer is very stable; never had an issue.

I only work on a Lenovo Windows machine. I don't work on Apples. I don't know if it's scalable there or not.

I have used technical support for this solution and they get back within 24 hours with a user-friendly answer. It's very good.

The company actually was using Toad, by Quest, and it's very expensive. It's user friendly but a developer shouldn’t need a super user-friendly solution. Also, SQL Developer's free; it comes with the install, the Oracle client.

When I’m selecting a vendor such as Oracle, the most important criteria is look for is reliability.

I installed it: downloaded, installed, configured; very easy.

I chose this product because it has a solution for all our needs, such as reporting, the PI, the development, the jobs themselves run on/out of the Oracle database. It was the total solution.

What other advice do I have?

Read as much as you can. Just use it. I've been doing this for 25 years, so it's very easy to me. The more you do it, the easier it is.

It's just the best out there.

Infrastructure Principal at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
        The Cart feature allows you to select all of the components developers had been working on, and patch them up into a file with everything our DBAs need to roll that onto production.

What is most valuable?

They've done so many things that have made that product just so great. The most valuable features, what I tend to now use the most, outside of the change they've made in the IDE itself, are how it's become more flexible and the maturity in the IDE itself. It has the ability to manipulate code right there on the screen. The formatting and the UI's getting a whole lot better. That's part of it.

As far as a specific valuable feature, outside of just mentioning how it seemed the tool itself matured overall, is its modularity. I'm now able to split out windows that I couldn't do before. Basically, exploiting Windows features that are now available, it lets me kind of take advantage of having a really huge 30” screen. Now I can pull up and have multiple views of code running, and I'm able to lock that code, lock the results of queries in, so that I can see the differences between the things that I'm doing and if I wanted to change something, what the outputs will be. That's been a really good feature that I've appreciated in SQL Developer.

How has it helped my organization?

When I was reviewing some things in SQL Developer, one of the things that jumped out at me, especially in a former job a couple years ago, was the Cart feature. It allowed you to really streamline processes. Our process before was my developers would create some type of PL/SQL script, it could include DDL, a creating table, grants/permissions, obviously the scripting behind that, and we would take those series of files, we would put them on a shared drive on our network where our DBAs could then go get those files, and then promote them into our production environment.

The Cart feature, which came out I think around version 4 or so of SQL Developer, allowed you in the tool itself to select all of those components that developers had been working on, patch them up into a file that included everything our DBAs would need in order to roll that onto production. We can then just send them basically this shopping cart. They could take SQL Developer on the back end, open that cart up and basically deploy that through whatever environment.

That really allowed us to make sure that all the files and all of the components of any particular project we were working on were together, because we're not trying to copy this SQL file and put it over here, and this database definition, this table definition file in SQL over here, and grab a bunch of different things and stick them in a shared drive. We were able to use the tool itself, SQL Developer, to do that packaging for us and then with all the surrounding code needed to actually deploy that, and just pass that off to our DBAs who can then just execute that series of commands. They didn't have to come back and ask us anything. We eliminated kind of the question-answer piece between what the developer wanted and what the DBA was trying to do, because we were able now to encapsulate all of that into this Cart file. The Cart file included all of the coding that we needed our DBAs to execute on, to deploy into our development production environment space, to put our changes in. It really streamlined a process that we had integrated.

What needs improvement?

There are always areas of improvement as it relates to the tool's ability, the process that you need to go through in order to connect to some of the non-Oracle databases. You've got to go find the drivers for connecting to a DB2 database or connecting to even a MySQL database, which is now all by Oracle. Some of those components are just not included. Some of the tasks that the DBAs have to do could be worked out a little bit more.

They've done a great job with providing or producing a dashboard screen; very interesting metrics that you want to see as it relates to what's going on with the database. That's great, but - and this is just feedback that I get from DBAs - some of the features that it deals with, with their role in exploring what's happening in the database, are not there. That dashboard screen that you can now pull up has definitely moved in the direction that allows DBAs to go through there.

Growth in a monitoring perspective is something that I would like to see as it relates to the tool. It gives the developers the ability to say, "Oh, I ran the SQL and here it is outside of the normal suite of tools that Oracle has"; just something very simple to look at and go, okay, I can see how this is impacting the system.

Growth in those areas is where I would see the biggest benefit, but also a very big benefit in how I can connect and say, "Let me see what's going on," and I actually can get a snapshot of what's happening at that moment in time, what opportunity in the future could we push that, as it automatically refreshes that information.

I’ve probably been using SQL Developer as far back as 2008.

From a performance perspective, we tended to see Java version compatibility issues. If you had a 32-bit version of SQL Developer for whatever reason when we were running in a 32-bit environment, you had to go download the 32-bit version of Java. If Java at that point would release a new update and you didn't get it and you wouldn't download it, the new version of SQL might not work.

The 64-bit version comes prepackaged with the JDK, so if you download that, you get it all. There's no separate install; it's just included in the ZIP file. The ZIP file's a little bit larger, but you know that when you pull it down, you're going to have all the pieces that you need.

With some organizations, it might not be feasible to have a second JDK installed on the machine due to compatibility issues with other applications.

But I think this is kind of common on the Java platform across the board; maintaining those versions when you've got one application that needs version 1.6 and SQL Developer needs 1.8. You've got to juggle those two things around and do some internal system configurations to make sure it is looking at the right version.

From a scalability point of view, because it's just an install on each machine individually, scalability is not really an issue. Because we're in a network environment, we're able to actually have SQL Developer share file system space. We can point SQL Developer to the shared space. Those types of things weren't really an issue. It's not like we add people to using the one instance.

SQL Developer is able to handle hundreds of thousands of rows and columns. I haven't seen any instance where SQL Developer itself is the issue. Most times, what we've seen is that, either I've got a memory constraint issue on the machines, so I can only load in so much stuff, and SQL Developer has a configuration point that limits the amount of rows you get back from this database to 500, or whatever that is.

You can address system limitations. We've run into experiences where people say, "Oh, this is running slow." It tends to be slow because a bad query that has been written, and SQL Developer has tools to go in and look at the SQL and start doing troubleshooting. Or, you're trying to run something big in the middle of a financial close, and actually the resources you're trying to reach are being consumed by other things.

As far as running SQL Developer itself - outside of the Java compatibility issues where you might see SQL Dev not find Java or hang because it doesn't have the right version - the actual ability for the tool itself to grab the data, I have not run into a scenario where it's SQL Developer, so much as I have run into it's actually the machine that I'm using that may be limited in resources.

We use the community as opposed to opening a ticket with Oracle, for a couple of reasons. Part of it is there's a certain part of the community using SQL Developer that because it's free doesn't understand that you can go and submit an SR for a patch fix in SQL Developer. Some of that may be why you get certain comments like that.

However, and this is more of a Oracle user community plug, the people that are using these tools are very open with helping you solve problems. The solutions that you get back are typically a lot faster than going through the structured support process, where you submit a service request, somebody says, "Okay, send me this back," and then you send it back and a couple days later somebody... You've got people that are actively out on Twitter and in the communities on forums that are just doing this stuff because they love doing it, and responses you tend to get involve a variety of options, and you tend to get those options a lot faster than going through the SR process.

If there's a bug that you want to report on SQL Developer, the only way to go about doing it is to open an SR. But for, "Hey I tried to do this in SQL Dev, and I just can't get it to work," put that on Twitter, put that in the SQL Developer community, and you'll have a dozen answers almost instantaneously. This is not because I know Jeff Smith, but he's very active in those community spaces as well, and is very good at responding to issues that people have. It's actually really good to have the product managers and the product developers actively looking at the communities that people are using to get these questions answered.

Part of it is definitely driven by the folks behind the scenes that are pushing that particular department down.

When I started in this particular organization's IT department, a number of people were running SQL Developer and a number of people were running Toad. Outside of the fact that Toad costs money and SQL Developer is free, the great thing about SQL Developer at the time and even now is there wasn't really a need to deploy it out. You just go to Oracle's website, download SQL Developer, and unzip it. There wasn't really a need to have a rollout process of a network of applications. Because of the simplicity of it, and how you delivered really made that a non-issue.

While it might seem that Toad has stronger DBA options, I think that the real issue is that the DBA options are buried in SQL Developer as opposed to kind of front and center. The DBAs were the ones who used Toad and the developers were the ones that used SQL Developer.

When I started work on the development side, I thought, "Oh, okay, this is what we're using." When they issued you your computer, they’d say, "Go download SQL Developer and start using it." That was really how my introduction to SQL Developer really started.

I wasn't involved in the evaluations. I had a larger team; there were two DBAs and six or seven total developers all using SQL Developer. At least from the perspective of what our DBAs were using Toad for, we were able to demonstrate that SQL Developer had the same capabilities. It came down to, for those capabilities, you've got to go up and hit view and find the DBA tab, and you have to select the DBA tab and then you add the database to the DBA tab and then you get these features.

For somebody that's probably used to using the competing product, Toad, those links are on the main page, per se. One of the challenges was with the push back - "Oh, SQL Developer doesn't do that," - and we had to say, "You have to go here, here, do this, do that, and look, here's that same stuff right here."

We were able to win the battle between it costing a license fee to do this, or you can go configure SQL Developer, which is easy, to fit your needs and use it instead. That was the thing that allowed us to start using the Cart process, and a number of other things to streamline that whole migration of application and tools through our development cycle.

What other advice do I have?

It has done everything that I needed it to do, and it doesn't cost you anything. That's the first pitch. Then, when you start saying, "Okay, well how do I get involved with SQL Developer, how do I take advantage of it?" One is, you can go to the OTN website or the downloads at the Oracle.com website, and you can download a copy. It's an install. Actually, it's not an install; it's an unzip. You don't have to worry about specific issues such as not being able to install software on your computer because of corporate policy; you just unzip the file you wanted.

Then I follow that with going back to this community perspective; there are tons of blog posts that I would say, “Do a search on Google for ‘How to do’ whatever it is you're doing in SQL Developer. You're going to get something back.”

The tool itself is very intuitive, and you can download documentation from Oracle's website. For, me the real documentation is what the people who are using it every day are pushing out; here's how I did or how you do these particular tasks. I've written several myself on how to connect to a database using SSH. There are a number of “How do I make this extension to run within SQL Developer”, which is a cool thing. I can write an extension and make it part of SQL Developer, if I wanted to use SQL Developer to monitor something. I have the ability to write code that I can then incorporate into SQL Developer, and have it do some additional task that it didn't come delivered with. Great tool, great feature. You might not see that in anything else.

Know what is unique to SQL, obviously, because it's a tool used to develop databases, develop applications within the database environment, and because you have to know how to configure SQL Developer to connect to databases, you might want to brush up on what that means as it relates to your database environment. A connection string in an Oracle database is going to be different than if you're trying to connect to a MySQL database, a TimesTen database, a DD2 database, or even MySQL Server. Being familiar with what you're going to connect SQL Developer to is very important, as it will save you a lot of the frustration of, “I don't see what's going on, I don't know how to do this.”

Get familiar with the PL/SQL debugging tool within SQL Developer. It allows you to skip through your code, so you can see what the output is going to be, or what these fine variables contain as you go through your codes. It obviously helps you with troubleshooting. It'll add optimization of your codes. Take advantage of the ability to, as I mentioned before, to separate out your codes so that you can see the before and what your changes are.

There are a lot of features. The editing, get familiar with editing within the IDE. It does block editing, all kinds of things that let you format your code for presentation purposes. Just kind of think about what your development environment would look like, and just download SQL Developer and just go through those things, and get familiar with them so when you're actually getting ready to say, "Hey, I'm trying to convince corporate that this is the route we need to take," you can then lay on top of what you're supposedly doing with how SQL Dev can actually help you achieve those goals.

it_user496089
        IT Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
        Many of the small features are the biggest time-savers, such as persistent highlighting of rows or cells in the data grid.

What is most valuable?

I noticed that many of the small features are the biggest time-savers like:

• ‘Copy Selected Column Header(s)’ in the data grid
        • Persistent highlighting of rows or cells in the data grid
        • Search-and-replace with its smart options
        • History (of statements and files)
        • Splitting windows and document groups, pinning

Personally, being a nosey person, I love the Statements-Log Window, which shows every command SQL Developer sends to the database.

I have used it for three years.

Deployment was the easiest I ever encountered:

1. Unzip
        2. Optional: find ide.conf, set the language to ‘en’
        3. Optional: change NLS settings
        4. Ready

Version 4.1.3 64-bit is very stable.

I had some problems with an older version freezing several times a week, but that was about two years ago and has hardly ever happened since.

Technical support is excellent. There’s the fast track via Twitter, but most of the time, I found the answer on Jeff Smith’s blog or Oracle Tech Net (OTN) before making a fool of myself by asking. Jeff has solved many of my problems “by unsent messages”. ;-)

You get very fast support on OTN or Twitter.

In different projects, I used to use TOAD and PL/SQL Developer.
        One of my customers decided he didn’t want to spend any money on tools, so SQL Developer was my choice... I guess I have to be grateful :)

Initial setup was very easy, see above.

I tried Raptor ages ago (and didn’t like it at all), but now I am a converted SQL Developer enthusiast.

What other advice do I have?

Read Jeff Smith’s blog. If you think a feature should be there, investigate. Quite likely, it’s already there; maybe you just overlooked it. If it’s not, open a feature request at sqldeveloper.oracle.com. Learn a handful of shortcuts (or two), it will improve your efficiency enormously.

it_user477966
        DBA at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees

Valuable Features

The speed with which you can build SQL statements and PL/SQL code has been very valuable. In addition, it simplifies how we manage database objects and connections to different data sources.

Improvements to My Organization

It has reduced the time it takes to manage data. We use the product for data analysis, building SQL statements to construct reports, and analysis and optimization of SQL statements.

Room for Improvement

The interface could be friendlier for the DBA by having the dashboard show real-time statistics from the database engine. It could also give details from active sessions, details about PGA, information about background processes like DBWR, LGWR and RVWR, alerts when you pass thresholds, logical reads, physical reads, and direct physical leads.

Use of Solution

We have used the product for about 2 years.

It has been stable.

There have been no issues with scalability.

Customer service is very good.

It has been excellent for us.

Initial setup is simple. Once you have a connection to the data source, you can begin working. We implemented in-house and there were no issues.

ROI

It is a very good investment for the benefits that it offers.

Other Advice

Download it, install it and never stop using it. I would give it a ten out of ten.

it_user492777
        Senior Technical Evangelist at Snowflake Computing
        It can quickly reverse engineer a database structure into a data model. The drag-and-drop feature helps you build queries.

What is most valuable?

To me, the most valuable feature is the ability to quickly reverse engineer a database structure into a data model.

There's also a drag-and-drop feature that helps you build queries in SQL Developer, which has a visual query builder with it. I like that feature a lot as it has a number of options in the wizard to pick what type of query you're trying to build. It can build inserts and updates as well. I've used that quite a bit as well. That was very helpful for, I'll say, short-cutting the process of building queries. It helps me be agile.

How has it helped my organization?

Where clients of mine have adopted using the data modeler in particular, the teams are able to become more efficient because they have the data model to use as a reference diagram and documentation to the structure of the database. That made planning changes to the database, reports and things like that much easier to do, and less error prone. Whereas before, when they didn't have a model and they were having to guess at what the data structures were and do a lot of individual investigations. It took a lot longer to get things done.

It also allowed us to produce a data dictionary for the organization, which helped business users. I deal primarily in data warehousing and so from a business intelligence perspective, being able to publish a data dictionary to the business users was very helpful because it helped them understand the database that they're trying to pull the data from.

I have been using both SQL Developer and SQL Developer Data Modeler for six years.

Especially in the more recent versions, I've not had any stability issues at all.

I don't have it randomly crashing on me, so that is good. Seems to work equally well on Windows and Mac OS.

It seems to scale fine. If you're trying to return exceedingly large data sets into the tool for some reason to download, that could be a challenge, depending on the memory on your machine and the disk space you have to output it to. Oracle will perform the query just, depending on how well your database is tuned, but oyu do need space for the output.

On the Data Modeler side, people do run into issues with very large models with hundreds and thousands of objects, but there is actually a memory parameter and a config file which you can tweak to increase the amount of memory that the tool uses. That, of course, is then limited only by how much memory you have on the workstation you're using.

I've been quite happy with both SQL Developer and SQL Developer Data Modeler. They have incrementally added features over time. A number of things it was lacking in earlier versions they have added as a result of feedback from myself and other folks in the community. They're adding features all the time.

That's one of the things that I think is most impressive about it: the team that supports this tool. Product management and development are very responsive - via not only formal channels, but informal social media channels - at providing information on best practices and even taking input on changes where someone does find something that they think they would like to see changed. They take input in many ways.

On the OTN Data Modeler Forum, the lead architect and developers are incredibly responsive. In all honesty, they are more responsive than what I had seen in the past when I was working with customers that had big Oracle support contracts where you had to call Oracle support. The development team monitors the questions on the OTN forum and replies usually within 24 hours at the latest to questions people have the about the tool. I've used that forum for that entire time. Often asking how to do something and getting a very quick response on how to do it and in some cases it was, "Well, the tool doesn't do that, but here's a way you could do it instead," and actually getting workarounds.

There have been a number of cases where I've said, "Hey, it would be nice to see this kind of feature or that kind of feature." They actually came out in the next release. Very, very impressed with the development and product management team for this particular tool.

One of the product managers blogs multiple times a week on SQL Developer and SQL Developer Data Modeler, and he is on social media, on Twitter in particular, all the time and is very responsive to comments and requests and questions from customers.

I've only gone to the OTN discussion forum, and gotten all the support I needed there. I've never opened a ticket of any kind formally through support.

I had originally been an Oracle Designer user, which was the predecessor to Data Modeler and in the interim had used ERwin at one point as well and looked at Embarcadero. While all those tools were, I'll say, very functional, full featured, they were very expensive.

The bottom line is, when I first started using these tools, it was because I was in an organization that basically had no budget for doing this type of work, data modeling, so, they weren't doing it. Data Modeler is, for no other reason, the only choice because it was a no-cost add-on. It didn't cost you anything to use Data Modeler if you have an Oracle license so I began using it.

I actually used it against not only Oracle, but against SQL Server databases as well and found I was able to, in particular, do data warehousing. I needed to reverse engineer source systems that weren't in Oracle and often were in SQL Server, and then go forward designing a new data warehouse from there. I was able to pretty easily, again with some help with the development team, figure out how to connect both SQL Developer and SQL Developer Data Modeler to Microsoft SQL Server databases. They did, indeed, design it to do that, so it was not completely database agnostic, but it did allow you to look at some of the other major databases like SQL Server and DB2. I found that very useful to be able to conect with both of those tools, especially helpful in doing data warehousing.

It is by the far the easiest tool from Oracle to install that I've ever seen. When it first came out, I did a presentation six weeks after getting my hands on it and the presentation started off with, "Well, let's first install it," and it was one slide. Download the ZIP file. Unzip it. You're done.

On SQL Developer, the only additional thing you have to do is set up the connection to the database. Assuming you already have a database in place, it's a wizard. You go and put in your credentials and it connects and you're off to the races, able to query data in the database and make changes to the database.

With the Data Modeler, it doesn't require a database connection. If you were going to design something from the ground up, you literally unzip it, start it, and create a new model. The longest part of that is downloading the ZIP file, so depending on your connection, that's how long it takes to install it. 30 seconds to unzip it and open.

It's easy enough to install and try, that you ought to just do it. Then the next thing would just be look at a couple of books available on the product, on the Data Modeler product in particular, if you decide to go down that route. Otherwise, there are several people like myself and the product manager who blog about the products. Follow the experts on social media to get your answers, but the first thing is to just download it and try it and start asking questions.

I have not considered switching to anything else. I see no reason. I'm an Oracle ACE Director, and using Data Modeler is the thing that I am known for.

What other advice do I have?

I am a blogger, The Data Warrior, and I have multiple blog posts on it about these tools. My most popular blog post was when I wrote, probably almost three years ago now, about how to connect Data Modeler to SQL Server. The second most popular blog post is the very first one I wrote about the Data Modeler. Every so often, I go back and have to update it because there's new releases.

Every client I have had and every organization I have worked for since Data Modeler came out and SQL Developer came out, I get them using it. I have had several organizations that were using Toad and when time came for the support renewal on those, I usually got them to convert over to SQL Developer.

it_user496338
        Sr. Team Lead, Enterprise Platform Solutions at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        I use it for cleaning the database, looking at the information about objects and data manipulation.

What is most valuable?

I've actually been using a similar tool for probably 17 years, but we switched over about four years ago to SQL Developer. A lot of these features I had used previously but there are advantages to SQL Developer. I guess just cleaning the database, looking at the information about your objects and the database, doing data manipulation. That's what I use it most for. DBAs would use it a little differently, maybe, but for me, as more of a developer or business analyst, it's pretty simple, just kind of your gateway to the database.

How has it helped my organization?

The biggest thing is really the cost savings as opposed to using a competitor project or competitor application to SQL Developer. The competitors cost significantly more.

Since Oracle SQL Developer is free, we no longer incurred the cost of the previous tool. There was also benefit to our organization in that the SQL Developer community is very active and growing, so there is a lot of resources available to us.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of options and I think, as with any tool, making finding those options the easiest would be something that that this tool could work on. Sometimes it kind of takes a while to go through and remember where different options are. I've seen as we've gone through different versions of the tool, they're continuing to get better at that.

There's always going to be streamlining, and one thing they could improve is the installation. Even though it installs easy, there is a lot of Java behind the tool. It seems like some of the Java is more memory-intensive. Sometimes I feel like the Java side of the tool kind of gets in the way.

I think I’ve been using it since 2012.

A consultant that started working with us knew part of the product team personally. I first got introduced to Jeff Smith, Chris Rice and others on the product team via Twitter. If you follow them and interact with them on Twitter, there's a lot of resources. Jeff Smith has a blog, where he has a lot of SQL Developer tutorials. Sometimes, I ask questions on those channels, and there's a Facebook page. I've searched a lot on the forums and they also have something called SQL Developer Exchange for requesting enhancements.

There's a variety of ways that I've reached out. I feel like it's a very active community, so a lot of SQL Developer users are willing to help each other. A lot of times, I start with the social media side.

There's really nothing that I think is lacking. I've been very active and very vocal. That's probably one reason why they reached out to me to get a better view. Sometimes I have worked through, "Hey, why does it work like this? Can this be changed?" There have been things that the product team has changed because of some of the feedback that I or my team has given, so we've had a really good experience working with them.

The decision to switch to SQL Developer was basically about the cost. We were using Toad, those products. I had been using it for 13 years or something. I had gotten so used to it, pretty much everybody liked it and we were productive with that tool.

When we started investigating SQL Developer, it was given to us kind of as a challenge: Is there anything that Toad did that is imperative to your job that SQL Developer does not do? We couldn't find anything. There were some differences to get used to, different shortcut keys and so on. Just like switching from a PC to a Mac, you get used to it and there's really nothing that it can't do. It's a great way to save a lot of money.

I was involved in the deployment. The harder part for us has been putting these on a shared terminal server which is not always what Oracle recommends. Sometimes, when working on those shared servers, there are certain versions of the Oracle client that are needed for different versions of SQL Developer. Sometimes we've had to take that extra step to upgrade the Oracle client, but overall it's a simple install. Most of our problems have been from, again, a shared environment perspective.

We looked at a few other products and there have been different consultants that have come into the company that might use SQL Workbench or PL SQL Developer, but I think in general most of us are just sticking with SQL Developer. I haven't done a full analysis, because there just hasn't been a need. There's not really been anything that, to me, has felt lacking.

it_user492570
        Software Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
        Other PL/SQL IDE don't have the same modelling capabilities.

What is most valuable?

Off the top of my head (I don't use it that often):

• Included Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler. No PL/SQL IDE has such modelling capabilities, as far as I know. This is a killer feature for me.
        • Database Export
        • Database Diff
        • Debugging capabilities

What needs improvement?

Off the top of my head (I don't use it that often):

• Just copy IntelliJ's IDEA for PL/SQL
        • Projects - there are none and are much needed
        • More code formatting options
        • To be able to handle db object scripts that end with /
        • File browser
        • Filtering
        • Favourite locations
        • Versioning is there, check. But it sucks a lot, double check. Maybe except SVN.

It's getting better with every release. I would have rated it much lower a couple of years ago. With Oracle's resources, it could be much much better.

I have used this solution for eight years.

It is not very stable on MacOS, but it's much better on Windows I think.

I haven't used customer service.

I haven't used technical support.

IDE help is there, but it could be much better.

I did and still haven't fully switched to Oracle SQL Developer.

Setup is piece of cake. Various options are well hidden in settings, but the search helps a lot.

An in-house team implemented it.

It's free. The required time investment and change of thinking while using it is too much for me, anytime I seriously think about switching to Oracle SQL Developer as my main tool for PL/SQL development.

What other advice do I have?

Invest enough time beforehand so you would fully understand how Oracle SQL Developer works and behaves in some situations. It is a very powerful tool, but sometimes it "works in mysterious ways", just like any Oracle's desktop product. (JDeveloper is the best example.)

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is an Oracle Gold Partner.
        it_user490656
        Senior OBIEE Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
        It's helpful since I work with a query generator (OBIEE) and sometimes have to look at hundreds of lines of SQL.

What is most valuable?

For the last few years: Ctl + F7. That shortcut will format my queries the way I desire. This is especially helpful since I work with a query generator (OBIEE) and sometimes have to look at hundreds of lines of SQL. Formatting it helps me read the SQL. If I didn’t have this capability, I would format it by hand which would add time to my day.

How has it helped my organization?

At a prior organization, we had no reporting capabilities. Business Users would ask me to run reports for them. Since there were restrictions in other delivery mechanisms (think: web front end), I ended up creating SQL Developer Reports and then distributing those to the Business Users. This isn’t an ideal way to distribute reports, but it worked, and freed up my time to do other more important things.

What needs improvement?

Feature-wise, it has everything that I need. My only complaint over the years has been memory usage, which seems to improve with each release. I also understand that this may be out of the developer’s control (i.e. Java).

I have used this solution for 10+ years. I downloaded and used Project Raptor when it was first released.

Customer service has been most excellent. The Product Manager is on Twitter (and happens to be a friend), Jeff Smith. I’ve bothered Jeff myself and have watched him help others routinely via Twitter and his blog. I honestly can’t think of a better PM out there. Additionally, Kris Rice (also a friend) was one of two of the initial developers (if I remember correctly).

Technical support has been excellent. If Jeff (or Kris) can’t answer in 140 characters, he’s probably written it up as a solution for whatever ails you on his blog. I frequently go there to find answers before asking.

I would use Toad to monitor database sessions. It had a pre-built reporting solution for that. But Toad cost quite a bit of money. When SQL Developer (Project Raptor) came out, I installed it and built the same session monitoring reports there. No more worrying about cost.

Initial setup was very straightforward: Unzip, find the executable and go. I have it installed on Windows, Mac and Linux (Ubuntu, Oracle Enterprise Linux).

I did not really evaluate other options before choosing this product. I mainly used SQL*Plus and occasionally Toad.