Oracle VM VirtualBox Overview

Oracle VM VirtualBox is the #5 ranked solution in our list of best Server Virtualization Software. It is most often compared to KVM: Oracle VM VirtualBox vs KVM

What is Oracle VM VirtualBox?

Oracle VM Virtualbox is a cross-platform virtualizer for x86 servers and desktops, and is also for embedded usage. With this product, you can run multiple operating systems on a single machine, all at the same time, making it a powerful tool to test, develop, demonstrate and deploy solutions.

Oracle VM Virtualbox is a professional solution that is also freely available as Open Source Software. It is for both enterprise and home use. This x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization software is high performing and rich in features.

Oracle VM Virtualbox currently runs on Windows, Linux, Solaris and Macintosh. It also supports many guest operating systems, such as Windows, DOX/Windows 3. Linux, OS/2, OpenBSD, Solaris and OpenSolaris.

For more information on Oracle VM VirtualBox, visit Oracle.com

Oracle VM VirtualBox Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle VM VirtualBox Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Oracle VM VirtualBox Customers

Airbus, Colorado State University, SCS Africa, Wolf Medical Systems.

Oracle VM VirtualBox Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle VM VirtualBox pricing:
  • "The product is free to use."
  • "It is pretty good for the price, which is free."
  • "Everything is free within limitations. Once you go over a certain level of usage you have to license the product."

WS
Product Specialist at Schoemans Offcie Systems (Pty) Ltd
Fast, very easy to use, and is rock-solid stable

What is our primary use case?

We use VirtualBox for running our ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) and a host of websites. The underlying operating system is Solaris, which we run on VirtualBox virtualized, and it is running exceptionally well. Then I run VirtualBox as a hypervisor and use Windows (when necessary) and Linux. I run a whole host of websites on Linux virtualized using VirtualBox and we also run our ERP — Xpert ERP — on VirtualBox.

• "This product is extremely easy to install, use, has a great GUI and is incredibly stable."
  • "It could improve slightly with enhanced reporting capabilities that show the current status of the network."

What other advice do I have?

The VirtualBox solution is an absolute gem of a product. I definitely recommend this product to other people because it's super stable and easy to install and use. The only thing you need to ensure on your server is that you have sufficient hardware resources to accomplish what you want to do and that you supply the server with clean power. The server needs to be running all the time or you will have problems. If you put the box on a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), you are all set. I choose to run the product on-premises all the time for our deployment and also for deployments to my…
OL
Director of Engineering at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
A free and versatile open-source solution that supports multiple platforms and is easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

My personal one is to create virtual machines to do different things within the house. I have a few servers in the house, and the servers themselves run lots of the services that we need, but sometimes you need to have a service that is run on a kind of a "dedicated machine." So, instead of having a physical machine to run those services, we just create a virtual one. It just spins off like a virtual machine, and everything works okay. Some of the machines that are for more home automation and other such things don't need very powerful processes or much memory. They are very suitable to be run… more »

• "The good thing is that it is multi-platform. Once you create a virtual machine in one particular environment, you can switch over to see if you can run it in other environments. For example, if you are on Windows and you create this virtual machine, you can actually go ahead and change the operating system. You can switch it over to Linux or Mac OS and see if you can run the VirtualBox on those particular machines. It even runs on some of the commercial operating systems that are not mainstream, such as Solaris and BSD. These kinds of operating systems are also supported by VirtualBox. The other thing that is good about VirtualBox is that it is open source. So, if you need to do any modifications for your own purposes, you can just download the source, modify it, and deploy it in your environment. It is pretty good and very versatile. You can create and manipulate virtual machines from the command line, which is also very important. It's something that some other products on the desktop side do not have. VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop don't have a good command-line interface to create and manipulate virtual machines, whereas VirtualBox has it out of the box, which is pretty good."
  • "It has some issues when you have some weird device drivers. For instance, when you have a weird sound driver working on your machine, and the VirtualBox needs to output the sound of the virtual machine into the sound driver of the physical machine, the bare metal, it doesn't work too well. If you tweak lots of drivers and play around with the different kinds of drivers and machines, you will probably break something. I have not played with it too much and maybe it already supports it, but it would probably be good to have the ability to use a container from the virtual machine environment instead of spinning off a complete virtual machine. There are other tools for that. On Linux, you have a DXE, LXC framework, and you have Docker as well. Docker is good because it is multi-platform, and you can run Docker on pretty much anything, even different processors, but it would be good if we had a VirtualBox running on it while spinning off containers instead of full virtual machines. The other thing that will become important, and I'm pretty sure that they are thinking about it as well is that there's this new hardware platform that Apple is releasing, which is an ARM-based new chip. So, VirtualBox will probably have to work on ARM-based CPUs as well."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate VirtualBox a nine out of ten. It is really good, and I like it very much. It is definitely not a ten because even though it has lots of support from Oracle itself, it is an open-source product. If you look at the user interface, it is very decent, but it is not the most polished user interface.
Learn what your peers think about Oracle VM VirtualBox. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
479,323 professionals have used our research since 2012.
EN
IT Manager at a non-tech company with 51-200 employees
Enables you to easily create virtual environments and it is simple to use with Linux

What is our primary use case?

My main purpose in using this solution is to run Windows machines on top of my Linux servers. I am running a Windows server on top of a Linux machine and then another four machines just to create an environment for our clients so that people can log in. Because they don't find Linux easy to use, I give them windows on top which they find more familiar.

• "This is a good and easy solution for running virtual environments."
  • "This should have better support for multiple network cards and some parts of the GUI should be improved."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten where ten is the best, I would rate this product as a nine. I recommend it, especially for people who are beginners because most things they will want to use will virtually be plug-and-play. It's click-and-use. I would recommend it to those people who are beginners. Because most other products, you really need to know a lot of networking and how to use them to maintain them. But with Oracle, it is simple. For most needs where you have to only have a really small network, this will be fine.
FK
Head Of Information Technology at a media company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Provides granular control, light on resources, and is user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for experiments with virtualization in Linux, mostly. We have an on-premises deployment.

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to copy bidirectionally between the desktop and the virtual machine."
  • "It should have the functionality where if I move the mouse away from one screen, the context changes automatically."

What other advice do I have?

This is a great product and I use it a lot. This is a good R&D solution, but I don't think it would be good in production. We look for different things in R&D, such as doing a proof of concept. In a production environment, having a whole ecosystem to support the solution, including for orchestration and automatic deployments, would be better. It would also need to have more talks, seminars, and conferences, calling people in that space and then posting them on YouTube. There is a lot more to it than the technical aspect. Overall, I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
SM
IT Manager at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, stable, and reasonably priced

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution to build a machine and transfer it to vCenter. I also occasionally use it to transform from a VirtualBox machine to an ESXi machine.

• "The solution is very convenient and easy to use."
  • "The solution needs to improve the methods used for starting and stopping the machine."

What other advice do I have?

We're just Oracle customers. We don't have any business relationship with the solution. We're using the latest version of the solution. While I can recommend the solution for personal use, in a professional context, I've never actually tried it. A company would have to do some research first to ensure it fits their needs. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall if I was rating it on personal use alone.
AT
IT Staff; Programmer at a university with 51-200 employees
Free to use and easy to set up, but needs to use less memory

What is our primary use case?

We use VirtualBox for client purposes. It's a legacy software.

• "It's a pretty good product in terms of monitoring."
  • "The memory and hardware usage could be a little bit lighter. Right now, it's quite heavy on the usage. The CPU usage should be lower."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are using. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. If you're going to use VirtualBox on a small scale, I would recommend it, especially if you are using it for a legacy application.
MI
Network and Infrastructure Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
A flexible solution with good performance but it need to promote itself more effectively

What is our primary use case?

We have two primary use cases. We have one or two data bases. We were using it for our hospitality system and also for testing.

• "The most valuable aspects of the solution were the support and performance of the product and the flexibility it gives you to work."
  • "The solution has to do a better job of promoting the product and its licensing capabilities."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. Whether I would recommend the solution depends on the preference of the person who is going to handle the environment. If they're more comfortable with a product they have worked on, then they may go for VMware or Hyper-V. But if they are open to having a more license controlled environment, then definitely they will want to go with Oracle. I'd rate the solution six out of ten.
LS
Chief Technical Lead at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
A stable solution that's free for Oracle users but needs to improve hot virtual machine migration

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for virtual machines for Oracle databases.

• "The solution's most valuable feature is its stability."
  • "Oracle needs to improve its hot virtual machine migration. It didn't work as intended. It should allow us to migrate between virtual machines, without stopping the database."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model. I would recommend the solution for licensing purposes if you are using an Oracle database. Otherwise, I would recommend clients to consider different platforms. The Oracle VM has the advantage of being free, so you only pay for support. It's very cheap, but I don't think it's very good as VMware. I'd rate the solution six out of ten.
See 7 more Oracle VM VirtualBox Reviews