Oracle VM VirtualBox Overview

Oracle VM VirtualBox is the #5 ranked solution in our list of best Server Virtualization Software. It is most often compared to KVM: Oracle VM VirtualBox vs KVM

What is Oracle VM VirtualBox?

Oracle VM Virtualbox is a cross-platform virtualizer for x86 servers and desktops, and is also for embedded usage. With this product, you can run multiple operating systems on a single machine, all at the same time, making it a powerful tool to test, develop, demonstrate and deploy solutions.

Oracle VM Virtualbox is a professional solution that is also freely available as Open Source Software. It is for both enterprise and home use. This x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization software is high performing and rich in features.

Oracle VM Virtualbox currently runs on Windows, Linux, Solaris and Macintosh. It also supports many guest operating systems, such as Windows, DOX/Windows 3. Linux, OS/2, OpenBSD, Solaris and OpenSolaris.

For more information on Oracle VM VirtualBox, visit Oracle.com

Oracle VM VirtualBox Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle VM VirtualBox Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Oracle VM VirtualBox Customers

Airbus, Colorado State University, SCS Africa, Wolf Medical Systems.

Oracle VM VirtualBox Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

GM
student with 11-50 employees
Has an interesting cloning tool that is unique

What is our primary use case?

I am running Linux on this solution under Windows.

• "The cloning is a very useful tool."
  • "The communications setup lags. It does not connect properly so the batching and networking is a bit slow."
Ignacio Salom
Senior Principal Consultant with 1-10 employees
It is great for creating test environments, and saves a lot of time.

What is our primary use case?

I use it to test new technologies on my desktop. I also teach virtual machines, so I give demos or training programs. I can show people how servers work. So I use it for training purposes.

• "This solution creates a snapshot of virtual machines so you can create test environments."
  • "I think that this solution should be more user-friendly."
Learn what your peers think about Oracle VM VirtualBox. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,521 professionals have used our research since 2012.
OS
IT Infrastructure and Security Specialist
Valuable features include: virtual machine and disc cloning, migration and recovery management.

What is our primary use case?

For enterprise deployment, IT infrastructure, data center and server virtualization infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

Most valuable attributes include: Virtual machine and disc cloning Migration Disaster and recovery management

What needs improvement?

I think this solution needs improvement with the business continuity planning, disaster and recovery management, and using centralized data storage.

The solution is stable. It is great.

This is a highly scalable solution for our infrastructure. We have over 1000 people using this solution. They are using a computer…
it_user769620
CEO and CTO
Video Review
Flexibility allows you to run in multiple platforms, Windows, Linux, Macintosh

• "The flexibility and the closed platform, so it allows you to run in multiple platforms, Windows, Linux, Macintosh."
  • "We're working with them to be able to allow the local USB ports to be ported over to the remote desktop, running VirtualBox."

What other advice do I have?

The most important factor when selecting a vendor is probably the ability to have partnerships, to be able to work. Because any technology that we have, it works with Oracle's platforms. So it's important for us to be able to work with partnerships, and that's the reason we became an Oracle Gold Partner.
it_user430668
Clinical Applications Specialist at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
​Desktop-based virtualization is a huge help in speeding product development.​ ​It's not as robust as server platforms, nor does it need to be.​​

How has it helped my organization?

Desktop-based virtualization is a huge help in speeding product development.

What is most valuable?

VirtualBox provides an isolated, consistent environment I can use to experiment with software configurations or create developer sandboxes without affecting the consistency of my own work environment.

What needs improvement?

It's not as robust as server platforms, nor does it need to be.

It works perfectly for the task. We've had no issues with instability. It's a solid open-source product.

We have had no issues scaling it for our needs.
Manager of Infrastructure at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to provision virtual machines

What is most valuable?

Ease of use The configuration and installation is pretty straightforward.

How has it helped my organization?

Enables us to provision virtual machines faster than before.

What needs improvement?

No ideas come to mind.

I've used VirtualBox for around five years.

The installation was straightforward.

No stability issues were experienced.

No scalability issues were experienced.

Customer Service: Support from Oracle in general is good. I would give customer service a rating of four out of five.…
it_user436122
Sr. Systems Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
I'm sure their tech support's really good. I got into it and it was buggy enough that I didn't want to continue using it.

• "The flexibility as well as performance wise and as well as data volume, we have huge volume stored."
  • "One valuable feature would be for it to work right the first time but it doesn't necessarily do that."
it_user521889
QA Sales Engineer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Linux-wise, I go with the VirtualBox because of the simplicity.

What other advice do I have?

What are your needs? What is the most important for you? Then, we can show you what you can manage. The benefits: It's Oracle, so there you go. You have a VirtualBox. It's well-known. It's stable. I use it. If it works for me, it might as well work for you. Simple.
it_user486537
Technical Sales Consultant at FOEX GmbH
The most valuable feature for me is the ability to use it as a client or a server to test our APEX environment and the plugins that we create.

What other advice do I have?

Take care configuring the network. It’s tricky to get everything running, but there are certain benefits to look forward to after you do.
it_user436125
Lead Product Dev at a tech company
If I need to run Docker, I can do it inside VirtualBox. I have some objections regarding how it uses virtual memory.
it_user418404
Technical Marketing Manager at Cloudian Inc
I can quickly create a portable working environment with applications. I can’t easily add or enable network ports without powering down my virtual machine.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try, it is free. What we have in this screenshot is 3 VMs powered on: * A Linux DNS server * A Windows JumpBox * Two Cloudian Servers (with one powered off)
IT Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
It's easy to install and configure, and we're able to share USB devices between host VMs.

What other advice do I have?

You should try it as it's free.
e-Learning Systems Developer Analyst at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Automatic mirroring/backup using snapshots on the runtime can minimize the number of fail-recovery procedures and down time overall.
ERP System Analyst at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Using a virtual operating system simplifies the installation procedure, system maintenance, and system backup. It allows you to be hardware independent.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to have enough hardware resources to run the virtual machines smoothly.
it_user124704
PeopleSoft Administrator at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
We like the fact that Virtualbox is easy to set up, it's ready to go, and we can install Oracle PeopleSoft images on a Linux OS.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that in terms of implementing this product, it is definitely a powerful tool and what we are using it for is probably less than what it can be used for to maximize the return. Being able to run multiple images on this (Windows, OS X, Linux, Solaris, IBM OS\2 etc.) allows for deployments of multiple OS's and version for testing multiple products\scenarios.
it_user430674
Project Manager at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
We can try our software in virtual machines so that we can find errors, fix them, and then re-test.

What other advice do I have?

I can't do everything I need for virtualization, for example like with vMotion or another solution. You will easily be able to use the software.
it_user418230
IT Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
I can send a VM to a friend to test so they don’t have to install it or port it to my other computers.​

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that you use VirtualBox and experiment with different settings.
Assistant Design Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
The most valuable feature for us is deployment of VMware (VMDK) as well as non-VMware (VDI) VMs because most of the test VMs run on ESXi.

What other advice do I have?

Go ahead and try all you can with this product, provided your hardware has enough juice as you can play around a lot with the product.
Consultant at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
It works, and there is active development of the product by Oracle so that it handles OVM templates.​
it_user416094
Web Developer at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
It's given us the ability to spring up test environments quickly and in a reliable manner.

What other advice do I have?

If you are running multiple virtual machines at the same time, please make sure you have enough resources to do this.
Service Area Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The most valuable feature for us was the speed of setup.

What other advice do I have?

It's excellent for the speed of setup, to install/deploy/test things, but for serious work I prefer to work on Proxmox. I just loved it.
it_user136407
Senior Application Specialist at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
I am able to develop and test my infrastructure automation scripts locally before running in production.

What other advice do I have?

Just go ahead and try it out. Again, combine it with Chef, Vagrant and Git, which will make your life much easier in the long run.
it_user104151
IT Director at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
We're able to run and then roll back operating system change tests for multiple systems on one piece of hardware.

Valuable Features

Being able to run and then roll back operating system change tests for multiple systems on one piece of hardware is the most valuable feature for us.

Improvements to My Organization

With this solution, we need to have less hardware and we're able to to perform faster testing.

Room for Improvement

I've had networking issues when I travel with my laptop. Switching VMs from NAT to bridge is a nuisance.

Use of Solution

I've used it for five years.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

We had no issues with the stability.

We've not scaled it at all. I just run three different versions of Linux and three on Windows at different times.

Customer Service:…
IT Analyst with 51-200 employees
I value its native ability to use other VM machines files like QEMU and VMware.

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, this product is the best available option for testing virtual appliances and operating systems. I use it also as a means of running multiple virtual machines without changing my business desktop environment. We recommend VirtualBox as an excellent product for evaluating new systems or softwares.
Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
I've used VMWarePlayer and VirutalPC but decided on VM Virtualbox for support of Snapshot and Linux

What is most valuable?

Snapshot

How has it helped my organization?

Building a sandbox to evaluate the new feature and scrape after tested

What needs improvement?

Overhead of Memory and CPU resource

More than 6 years (since VirtualBox 1.6)

Not particularly

New release may experience stability issues with a new guest OS such as Windows 8

Due to memory overhead, I would not suggest creating more than 6 VM instances per one physical platform

Customer Service: Moderate (3/5)Technical Support: Moderate (3/5)

Which solution

Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Awesome Virtualization Software developed by Sun Microsystems

What other advice do I have?

This pushed me away, as it used to be wholly open source.
it_user1083
Manager of Operations at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oracle VM is a solution for virtual servers and machines. This software is freely available in the market.

What other advice do I have?

Pricing is a major advantage in the case of Oracle VM. The software freely available, and can therefore be used easily and tried first before acquiring the commercial software. OS that is to be installed in the guest system, can be easily installed by uploading .ISO image. This is easier and faster.
it_user1035
Developer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Free, Amazing and Powerful, Cross-platform Virtualization Software

What other advice do I have?

Oracle VM Virtual box is a very good tool for me. The main reason is that it is a free product. Also, if I face a problem, I can fix it because the community website provides very good support. You do not need to have a high level of skills to work with it. As a student and a programmer, I have to use it with different operating systems. I have to check my codes in several operating systems. For that, Oracle VM is a very useful tool. On my laptop, I am running Ubuntu on OracleVM.
it_user1011
Manager of Data Center at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
Free and competitive Desktop Visualization tool

What other advice do I have?

OracleVM has been helpful to me, as I now test my scripts on different operating systems in a single machine before deploying them. This makes my work much easier, without incurring additional costs. Supporting my remote clients with diverse OS is much easier. All I need to do is open a similar operating system to theirs, in my system, as I guide them through some task. Before now, I had to look for a PC running a similar OS, before guiding them through some tasks.