Oracle VM VirtualBox OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle VM VirtualBox is the #5 ranked solution in our list of best Server Virtualization Software. It is most often compared to KVM: Oracle VM VirtualBox vs KVM

What is Oracle VM VirtualBox?

Oracle VM Virtualbox is a cross-platform virtualizer for x86 servers and desktops, and is also for embedded usage. With this product, you can run multiple operating systems on a single machine, all at the same time, making it a powerful tool to test, develop, demonstrate and deploy solutions.

Oracle VM Virtualbox is a professional solution that is also freely available as Open Source Software. It is for both enterprise and home use. This x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization software is high performing and rich in features.

Oracle VM Virtualbox currently runs on Windows, Linux, Solaris and Macintosh. It also supports many guest operating systems, such as Windows, DOX/Windows 3. Linux, OS/2, OpenBSD, Solaris and OpenSolaris.

For more information on Oracle VM VirtualBox, visit Oracle.com

Oracle VM VirtualBox Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle VM VirtualBox Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Oracle VM VirtualBox Customers

Airbus, Colorado State University, SCS Africa, Wolf Medical Systems.

Oracle VM VirtualBox Video

Archived Oracle VM VirtualBox Reviews (more than two years old)

WS
Product Specialist at Schoemans Offcie Systems (Pty) Ltd
Fast, very easy to use, and is rock-solid stable

• "This product is extremely easy to install, use, has a great GUI and is incredibly stable."
  • "It could improve slightly with enhanced reporting capabilities that show the current status of the network."

What is our primary use case?

We use VirtualBox for running our ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) and a host of websites. The underlying operating system is Solaris, which we run on VirtualBox virtualized, and it is running exceptionally well. Then I run VirtualBox as a hypervisor and use Windows (when necessary) and Linux. I run a whole host of websites on Linux virtualized using VirtualBox and we also run our ERP — Xpert ERP — on VirtualBox.

How has it helped my organization?

It has contributed to the flexibility that we have running our network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for me is the ease-of-use. With the GUI, it is easy to set up things and configure new things intuitively. It is a very good interface. VirtualBox is not as feature-rich as VMware, but the GUI from VirtualBox more than makes up for the features that it is lacking.

What needs improvement?

We are currently on version 5.1.38 but we are definitely going to upgrade to version 6. Some of what I would like to see in the future may already be in that release.

For me, it would be great to have a function where I can teleport from one machine to another machine just using the GUI. At the moment, this capability is only available via the command line. Other products like VMware and Windows Hypervisor already have that functionality. I think it would be an excellent addition and improve the product if Oracle implemented this functionality directly in the GUI.

The feature I would like in addition to teleporting is that I would like to see more reporting capabilities. For example, it would be good to be able to easily report on the status of the servers and virtual machines. It would be enough just to get a list that says how much CPU power each machine is using, the amount of memory it occupies, etcetera. Something like a snapshot of everything in graphical format. A dashboard that actually combines all the reporting about what is happening on your virtualization would be valuable. Getting all the information at a glance is what I would like to see.

We have been using VirtualBox for at least 10 years.

I find the solution to be exceptionally stable. I've no reason to look for other solutions, honestly, because it is so stable. It just fits into your network and it just runs. No matter what you are doing, even if you do it wrong, nothing fails. The worst that can happen is that you allocate more resources than you actually have on the hardware platform. If you misallocate your resources and require more memory for your virtual sessions than is physically available on the platform, then you run into a little trouble. It doesn't fail, it just becomes a bit slow. Or it could get very slow, I guess, if you are careless. But it has never failed for me.

We live in an exceptionally small country. We have probably the lowest number of people per square kilometer in the world. There is only a group of about 20 or 25 IT professionals that I know about in our country. All of them are using VirtualBox. They are using other solutions as well, like Windows Hypervisor and VMware. The only reason why they do not convert 100% to VirtualBox from Windows Hypervisor and VMware is that they have already invested the money it cost them to get those solutions in the first place.

So, while VirtualBox is absolutely free and they definitely use it in their companies, it cost money for their companies to invest in Windows Hypervisor and VMware. It will not go over well if they just move away from those solutions to VirtualBox because they have already purchased them.

I think it is a very scalable product and it stays stable while you scale it. For example, while it is active on a production server, you can expand the capabilities. You can stop and start or add virtual machines. The only thing that you have to know is not to allocate more resources on that hardware platform than is available in the hardware. The scalability of the hardware is separate from the product itself. You can't scale the product bigger than the resources on the box.

I have used Oracle technical support in the past for other products and I have been satisfied. But I never had to use technical support or any other resource to address problems I had using VirtualBox. There is not one situation where it was necessary.

Setup is so easy to do that I think anyone can do it. It's even easier than installing Windows on a laptop. You spend literally just half-an-hour if you sit and oversee the installation. After that half-an-hour, you are as well-versed in the product as a guy that worked with it for ten years. I don't think the initial setup could be easier.

I can do the implementations all by myself. It is very easy and it was really impossible to make a mistake.

The product is absolutely free to use.

What other advice do I have?

The VirtualBox solution is an absolute gem of a product. I definitely recommend this product to other people because it's super stable and easy to install and use. The only thing you need to ensure on your server is that you have sufficient hardware resources to accomplish what you want to do and that you supply the server with clean power. The server needs to be running all the time or you will have problems. If you put the box on a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), you are all set.

I choose to run the product on-premises all the time for our deployment and also for deployments to my clients. I also prefer to run VirtualBox on Solaris and Linux. In testing and in production using VirtualBox on Solaris is the best way to go, in my opinion. I do not implement production servers on Windows-based machines because of the many vulnerabilities in Windows. I tend to stay away from Windows as far as possible except for testing purposes on a laptop or a PC that runs Windows. I will use VirtualBox for that.

On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product an absolute nine. It has a little bit of room for improvement even though it is an excellent product. It is super fast. It is very easy to use. It is rock-solid stable. With just a few more features and added functionality, it will easily reach a ten out of ten.

System Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
An easy to set up solution good for testing virtual infrastructure that needs better flexibility

• "The initial setup was straightforward."
  • "The solution needs to improve its flexibility. It's not as flexible as VMware."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to test our virtual infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The solution works quickly.

We can install Oracle VM Manager and from this manager, we can create our VMs on the machine.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to improve its flexibility. It's not as flexible as VMware.

We've been using the solution for about four months now.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We use the private cloud deployment model.

We're currently in the testing phase, but we're hoping to go into production soon.

We moved to using Oracle VM because we have a small license. We did not enough have licenses for all server cores. Oracle VM has an advanced feature for hard partitioning.

We're using the solution for the Oracle database but only on the Oracle application server.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Oracle VM VirtualBox. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
FK
Head Of Information Technology at a media company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Provides granular control, light on resources, and is user-friendly

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to copy bidirectionally between the desktop and the virtual machine."
  • "It should have the functionality where if I move the mouse away from one screen, the context changes automatically."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for experiments with virtualization in Linux, mostly.

We have an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

The representation is very good. I have a problem with Hyper-V where you don't see the edges, especially the bottom and the top. With VirtualBox, I'm able to see that.

VirtualBox gives you granular control to very deep levels.

This solution is not resource-heavy on the system, and I'm able to run several virtuals at one time.

This solution is very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I have to keep pressing the home key so that the mouse changes context, which is something that I don't like. It should have the functionality where if I move the mouse away from one screen, the context changes automatically.

This solution cannot run when Hyper-V is running, and it would be nice if these two solutions could co-exist.

I have never used this solution for production, but I wish there was a simpler way of deployment, and I wish there was an ecosystem around it. Some other solutions, such as Docker, have a whole surrounding ecosystem. You know where to get Docker files, you know what Docker works with, etc. It's a whole ecosystem instead of a single application. It comes with almost everything you need in one place, or in the community.

I have been using this solution for many years.

I am unsure as to how stable this solution would be in a production environment. I have always thought of it as an R&D solution, as opposed to a production solution. It isn't a problem related to VirtualBox, but rather, simply how I have chosen to use it.

If you wanted to scale this solution out, or up, an automation tool may make it easier and more user-friendly, or more straightforward.

I have never needed to speak with technical support.

I prefer this solution to Hyper-V.

The initial setup of this solution is very straightforward.

I upgraded to the most recent version a few weeks ago.

I performed the implementation myself. I started using this solution a really long time ago, and you don't need anyone to help with VirtualBox.

What other advice do I have?

This is a great product and I use it a lot.

This is a good R&D solution, but I don't think it would be good in production. We look for different things in R&D, such as doing a proof of concept. In a production environment, having a whole ecosystem to support the solution, including for orchestration and automatic deployments, would be better. It would also need to have more talks, seminars, and conferences, calling people in that space and then posting them on YouTube. There is a lot more to it than the technical aspect.

Overall, I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

it_user836373
Network Manager at a financial services firm with 1-10 employees
Good multi-platform support and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for virtualization. This is a private cloud deployment model.

What is most valuable?

This solution can be used on many different platforms including Windows and Linux. This solution is very easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

This solution is not enterprise-ready. The user interface needs to be improved.

We also use Proxmox VE, which is better in many ways aside from the networking and not being able to install unless it is a 64-bit architecture.

What other advice do I have?

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for virtualization.

This is a private cloud deployment model.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

This solution is not enterprise-ready.

The user interface needs to be improved.

IA
Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A simple solution with an easy deployment but requires more enterprise-level features

• "The solution is very stable."
  • "The solution should have more enterprise features, like migration, high availability storage, disaster recovery, and the ability to deploy to enterprise-scale usage. They should not just offer desktop usage."

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable feature is the fact that it's enterprise based, especially the virtualization platform.

The cost is very appealing.

The simplicity and ease of deployment are great as well. It's a very versatile solution.

What needs improvement?

VirtualBox is more of a desktop deployment, so we don't really use it in production workloads. For improvement, compatibility with other virtual machine systems would be helpful. The ability to deploy the imagine of other virtual machines and convert it to a virtual desktop environment needs to be better.

The solution should have more enterprise features, like migration, high availability storage, disaster recovery, and the ability to deploy to enterprise-scale usage. They should not just offer desktop usage.

I haven't been using the solution for very long.

The solution is very stable.

I've never had to reach out to technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Oracle.

We use the on-premises deployment model. We're in the process of testing the solution currently, so it is still new to us.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. It's not an enterprise suite. Some of the light load applications I can't deploy.

StefanoPastore
Systems Engineering at Atlantica Digital
It is stable and I can use it in an environment with several resolutions

What is our primary use case?

I use Oracle VM VirtualBox mainly for testing guest environments and to test beta machines before they go in production environment. I also simulate configuration before the production environment to test some optionality.

What is most valuable?

I have found that cost metric manager is an interesting implementation of the network environment and it enables me to reproduce production environments.

What needs improvement?

The technical support needs to improve.

I've been using the solution for seven or eight years now on private cloud.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The technical support needs to improve.

I've been using the solution for seven or eight years now on private cloud.

I think VirtualBox has good stability because I use it in an environment with several resolutions. VirtualBox is able to use the full functionality and the powerfulness of the server I installed VirtualBox on this environment. So I, at the moment, I'm satisfied with the stability of the VirtualBox environment. I'm able to run several guest environments on one node.

The solution is scalable because I can run several guest environments on one node.

I very rarely need support in VirtualBox because I utilize the documentation provided by Oracle. In my experience, I have never opened a service request for VirtualBox functionality because I find myself to work around what I need to run my environment. This is also due to the fact that I use VirtualBox in a lab environment and not in a production environment. So, for me, the technical support is not critical.

What other advice do I have?

I will rate this solution an eight out of ten due to its environmental guide. For the next release I think the developer should work on reliability and security. But it is a good product.

MI
Network and Infrastructure Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
A flexible solution with good performance but it need to promote itself more effectively

• "The most valuable aspects of the solution were the support and performance of the product and the flexibility it gives you to work."
  • "The solution has to do a better job of promoting the product and its licensing capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We have two primary use cases. We have one or two data bases. We were using it for our hospitality system and also for testing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspects of the solution were the support and performance of the product and the flexibility it gives you to work.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for three months.

In terms of stability, if we would have used it in the production, then I would have been able to comment on that. Since we used it only for the development environment and just for the testing it would be difficult to comment. We only used the solution for three months.

The solution is scalable. Nowadays all products are scalable. The scalability basically depends on the hardware and software. However, when you're talking about product, 90% of the products are scalable.

We didn't need to reach out to technical support during testing, so I do not have any experience with them.

The initial setup had a moderate amount of difficulty. We had to first study the product and then deploy it. The team didn't have hands-on experience on the product before. This was the first time we were trying it out.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

Whether I would recommend the solution depends on the preference of the person who is going to handle the environment. If they're more comfortable with a product they have worked on, then they may go for VMware or Hyper-V. But if they are open to having a more license controlled environment, then definitely they will want to go with Oracle.

LS
Chief Technical Lead at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
A stable solution that's free for Oracle users but needs to improve hot virtual machine migration

• "The solution's most valuable feature is its stability."
  • "Oracle needs to improve its hot virtual machine migration. It didn't work as intended. It should allow us to migrate between virtual machines, without stopping the database."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for virtual machines for Oracle databases.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable feature is its stability.

What needs improvement?

Oracle needs to improve its hot virtual machine migration. It didn't work as intended. It should allow us to migrate between virtual machines, without stopping the database.

I've been working with the platform for seven years.

The solution is stable.

I don't have enough information to gauge the solution's level of scalability. Our set up was in a controlled environment without scalability issues. We had an initial load, which was quite controlled, so we didn't test scalability with it. We just have our team, five people, using the solution.

We haven't needed to contact technical support. The consultant we used for the implementation answered any questions we had.

The initial setup has a moderate level of difficulty. Out of ten, I'd rate it at a five. It does depend on the project itself - whether it is simple or more complicated.

We used the services of an outside consultant to help us do the initial planning of the process as well as the installation and set up of the virtual machine.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

I would recommend the solution for licensing purposes if you are using an Oracle database. Otherwise, I would recommend clients to consider different platforms. The Oracle VM has the advantage of being free, so you only pay for support. It's very cheap, but I don't think it's very good as VMware.

Muhammad Khattab
Infrastructure Consultant at Oriental Weavers
A solution that offers good system protection, very good scalability and fair pricing

• "The scalability of the solution is very good."
  • "The solution should work to simplify the system. However, it should be flexible enough to allow for special cases."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution across all of our systems.

What is most valuable?

The system offers good protection that we as users can trust.

What needs improvement?

The solution should work to simplify the system. However, it should be flexible enough to allow for special cases.

The solution should also make little improvements and tweaks to performance, reliability, redundancy, and DR systems. There should be better recovery offered to protect and ensure the application of systems and backups.

More information about administration features, like the replication feature, should be provided.

The stability is okay, but it could be better.

The scalability of the solution is very good.

I've heard technical support is good, but I've never reached out to them for assistance.

The initial setup isn't too complex.

I handled the implementation myself.

We're satisfied with the pricing the solution offers.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

GM
student with 11-50 employees
Has an interesting cloning tool that is unique

• "The cloning is a very useful tool."
  • "The communications setup lags. It does not connect properly so the batching and networking is a bit slow."

What is our primary use case?

I am running Linux on this solution under Windows.

What is most valuable?

The cloning feature is a very useful tool.

What needs improvement?

The communications setup lags. It does not connect properly so the batching and networking is a bit slow. The networking needs to be a bit more robust.

Also, it continues to upgrade itself, and I would like an option to switch this off because it causes slowdowns for the network.

In addition, I think that there should be some separate bits of software to install to make it communicate better with Windows. There should be a default installation to do this.

I have not needed to scale higher than what I set out to do. Everyone in our company uses the solution. It is used by just 12 staff members. We have one administrator managing the solution.

I never used technical support.

The initial setup was not complex. It is just an environment. The bridging of the network connection can be a bit tricky. The deployment was just a download and a quick setup.

We did not use a vendor or vendor team, I did the research myself.

I do not have experience with the pricing or licensing of the product.

I also evaluated VMware and Docker before choosing Virtual Box. I chose Virtual Box.

Ignacio Salom
Senior Principal Consultant with 1-10 employees
It is great for creating test environments, and saves a lot of time.

• "This solution creates a snapshot of virtual machines so you can create test environments."
  • "I think that this solution should be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

I use it to test new technologies on my desktop. I also teach virtual machines, so I give demos or training programs. I can show people how servers work. So I use it for training purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

The features that VirtualBox offers me are the same as VMware or Hyper-V. They create a snapshot of virtual machines so you can create test environments. You can go back to the original machine and you don't have to reinstall and do all of the work again. It saves you a lot of time.

What is most valuable?

It is great for creating test environments.

What needs improvement?

The user interface I find to be lacking. If you compare it with VMware or Hyper-V,  you have lots of room for improvement. I think that VirtualBox should be more user-friendly.

Three to five years.

Sometimes it is not quite good. I have to research answers to re-stabilize the product I would give it a rating of eight out of ten in terms of stability.

It is very good. I think there is a lot of things you can do with it. But as I said, I've been using it for production only for desktops and test purposes and training purposes. I think if we hire more employees in the company, we will have them use it as well. It is free when you use it for desktop purposes and training purposes. As long as you're not using it for production, you don't have to pay for it. I think as long as we get new employees in our company they most likely will be using VirtualBox.

The tech support is very good. I would rate it nine out of ten.

The user interface I find to be the, lacking something say.  If you compare it with VMware or Hyper-V, the Oracle VirtualBox you has lots room for improvement

To install the VirtualBox it doesn't take much. In 10 minutes you
are done. But to create the virtual machines, you have to create the virtual
machine, create the upper tier storage, create all the installations of the
operating system and  applications you want to put on the virtual machine. That
takes some time. It also takes patience to work on each machine. You must determine which installations go first, and which are easiest to create.

Pricing does not apply for us, we do not have to pay for the service.

I do use Hyper-V and VMware. But, if you are using VMware for your desktop, and you want a management consult, you have to pay for it and it's pricey. And, Hyper-V's management is not really that great. But, Oracle VirtualBox is a perfect fit for us. You don't pay for it, and it doesn't really ask too much from your computer. For instance, if I had installed Hyper-V on my computer and I want to use Oracle VirtualBox, I don't have to change the settings on the computer. If I start VirtualBox, I can use anything else without any problems. I find that VirtualBox gives me more advantages than the other products.

OS
IT Infrastructure and Security Specialist
Valuable features include: virtual machine and disc cloning, migration and recovery management.

What is our primary use case?

For enterprise deployment, IT infrastructure, data center and server virtualization infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

Most valuable attributes include: Virtual machine and disc cloning Migration Disaster and recovery management

What needs improvement?

I think this solution needs improvement with the business continuity planning, disaster and recovery management, and using centralized data storage.

The solution is stable. It is great.

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

Most valuable attributes include:

• Virtual machine and disc cloning
  • Migration
  • Disaster and recovery management

What needs improvement?

The solution is stable. It is great.

This is a highly scalable solution for our infrastructure. We have over 1000 people using this solution. They are using a computer system which has authentication, uses an active directory setup, with corresponding credentials. They are also accessing other software and central data storage for their file and storage management systems. Additionally, they are using a web application and database management solution for their specific role.

Tech support is helpful.

The initial setup was straightforward. Our deployment took six months. We did research and development for almost two months through the deployment of the production environment. We used an integrator for the deployment. They also provided technical support throughout the process.

It is a very cost-effective solution.

I looked at Hyper-V prior to choosing this solution. After testing it, we chose the Oracle solution instead.

it_user769620
CEO and CTO
Video Review
Flexibility allows you to run in multiple platforms, Windows, Linux, Macintosh

• "The flexibility and the closed platform, so it allows you to run in multiple platforms, Windows, Linux, Macintosh."
  • "We're working with them to be able to allow the local USB ports to be ported over to the remote desktop, running VirtualBox."

How has it helped my organization?

Having the flexibility to have VirtualBox run on a local machine, or over on the cloud.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

One of the things that we need, because with LeVAULT we control the authentication layer, and we support multiple factors for authentication -  anywhere from four to 27 factors  - and we allow you to be able to raise your key's devices, as keys to authenticate, as one of the factors. We're working with them to be able to allow the local USB ports to be ported over to the remote desktop, running VirtualBox.

We didn't talk about the capability of improving playing video, and being able to download; and streaming.

I haven't scaled it to that level, but we're about to do that. I will have a client that is going to virtualize 5000 to 10,000 virtual machines initially. Towards the next year we'll take it up to about 200,000 to 250,000. We'll soon find out what we'll need to implement it.

We have a few issues so far, there's a few things that we're going to do to improve the speed, like when you play videos and things like that. Overall it's pretty good.

We had other costumers that had used other solutions, such as VMware and Microsoft hypervisor, but I've pushed them all over to VirtualBox because of its flexibility and potential.

It's pretty straightforward. You know I've used VirtualBox for over five or six years. It's pretty clear, enough to be able to follow through and install.

What other advice do I have?

The most important factor when selecting a vendor is probably the ability to have partnerships, to be able to work. Because any technology that we have, it works with Oracle's platforms. So it's important for us to be able to work with partnerships, and that's the reason we became an Oracle Gold Partner.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Oracle Gold Partner.
it_user430668
Clinical Applications Specialist at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
​Desktop-based virtualization is a huge help in speeding product development.​ ​It's not as robust as server platforms, nor does it need to be.​​

How has it helped my organization?

Desktop-based virtualization is a huge help in speeding product development.

What is most valuable?

VirtualBox provides an isolated, consistent environment I can use to experiment with software configurations or create developer sandboxes without affecting the consistency of my own work environment.

What needs improvement?

It's not as robust as server platforms, nor does it need to be.

It works perfectly for the task. We've had no issues with instability. It's a solid open-source product.

We have had no issues scaling it for our needs.

How has it helped my organization?

Desktop-based virtualization is a huge help in speeding product development.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It's not as robust as server platforms, nor does it need to be.

Manager of Infrastructure at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to provision virtual machines

What is most valuable?

Ease of use The configuration and installation is pretty straightforward.

How has it helped my organization?

Enables us to provision virtual machines faster than before.

What needs improvement?

No ideas come to mind.

I've used VirtualBox for around five years.

The installation was straightforward.

No stability issues were experienced.

No scalability issues were experienced.

Customer Service: Support from Oracle in general is good. I would give customer service a rating of four out of five.…

What is most valuable?

• Ease of use
  • The configuration and installation is pretty straightforward.

How has it helped my organization?

Enables us to provision virtual machines faster than before.

What needs improvement?

No ideas come to mind.

I've used VirtualBox for around five years.

The installation was straightforward.

No stability issues were experienced.

No scalability issues were experienced.

Support from Oracle in general is good. I would give technical support a rating of four out of five.

We used a different solution before and switched due to high licensing costs and almost non-existent support.

The installation was straightforward with no issues encountered.

The implementation was done with a combination of a business partner and the vendor.

Always liaise with the vendor and business partners to get the best pricing.

We evaluated VMware, Citrix, and QEMU.

it_user436122
Sr. Systems Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
I'm sure their tech support's really good. I got into it and it was buggy enough that I didn't want to continue using it.

• "The flexibility as well as performance wise and as well as data volume, we have huge volume stored."
  • "One valuable feature would be for it to work right the first time but it doesn't necessarily do that."

How has it helped my organization?

Everything, because we are the customer for database ... all our applications not only JDE, ERP or some third party applicants APK's also have the backend for Oracle. Because of the flexibility as well as performance wise and as well as data volume, we have huge volume stored. So, other database cannot provide that kind of flexibility.

What is most valuable?

One valuable feature would be for it to work right the first time but it doesn't necessarily do that. The shop that I'm in and the shops that I've been in, I've never been in a shop that was standardized on Virtual Box.

What needs improvement?

I think part of the reason is, is a lot of people do not trust Virtual Box because they think it's buggy. It seems to be a theme here. I got into it and it was buggy enough that I didn't want to continue using it.

I'm sure their tech support's really good.

It's easy.

it_user521889
QA Sales Engineer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Linux-wise, I go with the VirtualBox because of the simplicity.

What is most valuable?

I can manage the VirtualBox images. It's a VirtualBox. We work with both VMware and VirtualBox. Linux-wise, I go with the VirtualBox. I don't go with the VMware, because of the simplicity. Especially when you're using Oracle Linux, you are matching the products together. The manageability of the virtual images is much better. That's what I like.

What needs improvement?

If I could maybe have cloud images, that would be awesome. It's going to be hard to manage cloud with a cloud, or image with an image, but hey, if it can be done, we can do that, too. Why not? You have mobility, so you can use something. You can have a server with all of the VirtualBoxes there and the images there. For example, if you are managing an application, you can use it from a touch of a screen. Why not?

I've been with this company since November 2015, and they've probably been using it for quite a longer time than I'm here. From my perspective, that's roughly a year.

It has been consistently stable over the past year. We didn't have any down time. All of the images were always perfectly done.

It's funny; sometimes one of the IT departments would say, "Well, why don't you convert your VirtualBox to VMware?" That means I have to redo the whole thing. So, I said, "Forget it. I'll stay with this one." Don't add more fire to a fire. Just leave it as it is. If it isn’t working, then maybe you try to put it out with water, but that doesn't work sometimes. Just stay where it is. It’s meant to be like that.

It is scalable. It does what we need to do with our images for our production, especially for the Linux images.

I don't really have any contact with support, because everything works fine. I haven’t had a chance to actually talk to them. Maybe not right now, but from previous engagements, I have some experience with Oracle support and also the community. I'm part of the OTN. I’ve been a partner of the OTN since before I joined my current company. Before that, for another engagement, they were using Oracle, and I decided I needed to know something. I logged in, I asked some questions, and people come on. That's how you learn. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

What other advice do I have?

What are your needs? What is the most important for you? Then, we can show you what you can manage. The benefits: It's Oracle, so there you go. You have a VirtualBox. It's well-known. It's stable. I use it. If it works for me, it might as well work for you. Simple.

it_user486537
Technical Sales Consultant at FOEX GmbH
The most valuable feature for me is the ability to use it as a client or a server to test our APEX environment and the plugins that we create.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable feature for me is the ability to use it as a client or a server to test our APEX environment and the plugins that we create. It also runs very quickly and doesn’t use up much battery power on a MacBook.

Improvements to My Organization:

Since I usually work from my home office, it increases efficiency because I don’t have to connect to the company’s database to run tests. I can do everything locally.

Room for Improvement:

The initial configuration was a little tricky. Setup could be simpler.

Use of Solution:

I have used the product for half a year.

Initial Setup:

Again, the initial setup is complex.

Other Advice:

Take care configuring the network. It’s tricky to get everything running, but there are certain benefits to look forward to after you do.

it_user436125
Lead Product Dev at a tech company
If I need to run Docker, I can do it inside VirtualBox. I have some objections regarding how it uses virtual memory.

Valuable Features

If I were to draw up my datacenter in my notebook, VirtualBox would be my choice to be included. If, for example, I need to run Docker, I can do it inside VirtualBox. In my opinion, it's the best solution for a small office or one-person virtualization.

Room for Improvement

It has a few kinks here and there, and Oracle should definitely improve on those, but if you know how to use it and are careful with your use of it, then it works perfectly. For example, I have some objections regarding how it uses virtual memory. If you oversubscribe the virtual memory, it just kills your notebook.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for five years.

We've had no issues with deployment.

There were some small instability issues with version 5.0, but they seem to all be fixed now. It works perfectly.

We've had issues with scalability. This is something that Oracle should work on.

I don't know if Oracle even has support for VirtualBox.

Implementation Team

We implemented it ourselves with our in-house team.

Other Solutions Considered

I tried VMware, but they kept asking for more money for upgrades again and again. I also had a Windows license, but not a Linux or Mac license, so I just decided to go with VirtualBox.

it_user418404
Technical Marketing Manager at Cloudian Inc
I can quickly create a portable working environment with applications. I can’t easily add or enable network ports without powering down my virtual machine.

What is most valuable?

It gives me the simplicity to quickly create virtual machines and to deploy my applications, and it's free. These are the most valuable features for me.

How has it helped my organization?

I can quickly create a portable working environment with all the applications running in my VirtualBox VMs.

What needs improvement?

An example of an area of improvement that I can see from my use of it would be the VirtualBox network setting. From my experience with it, I can’t easily add network or enable network ports without powering down my virtual machine.

I have been using VirtualBox for a couple of years now.

I have had no issues with the deployment.

I have had no issues with the stability.

I do not have more than four virtual VMs running concurrently as these are all individual pods deployed for demo purposes etc.

I've had no experience with the customer service and technical support. I have been using the free edition of Oracle VirtualBox.

I have used VMware, Hyper-V, RHEV, OpenStack, and, now, VirtualBox. I have used all these hypervisors in my environments for demos and test purposes.

The initial setup is very straightforward. Once you are familiar with virtualization, VirtualBox is very intuitive and simple to use.

This is an in-house implementation. Try it out, it is very easy. It fulfills most of my requirements in virtualizing my applications so that I can do demos and run tests.

I am using the free version of Oracle VirtualBox.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try, it is free.

What we have in this screenshot is 3 VMs powered on:

• A Linux DNS server
  • A Windows JumpBox
  • Two Cloudian Servers (with one powered off)

IT Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
It's easy to install and configure, and we're able to share USB devices between host VMs.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature for us is the fact that it's free. It's also easy to install and configure, and we're able to share USB devices between host VMs. In this case, 'sharing' means that only one instance can use the USB device at a time, but you can detach the device and attach it to a different instance (VM or host). This is valuable as it allows you to transfer data without networking.

Improvements to My Organization

I can install and test VMs on my own computer before installing live versions on the company VMware host.

Room for Improvement

Stability should be improved because sometimes the VirtualBox stops. I believe this maybe a compatibility issue, but I'm not sure.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for three months.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

Sometimes the VirtualBox stops and the process cannot be killed. The computer then needs to be restarted.

We have had no issues with the scalability.

I've never asked for support from customer service.

I've never asked for support from technical support. The issue I had was not important enough for me to need them.

The initial setup was straightforward and easy.

Implementation Team

We did it ourselves in-house with no need for support from the vendor or any third-party team.

I use the free version.

Other Advice

You should try it as it's free.

e-Learning Systems Developer Analyst at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Automatic mirroring/backup using snapshots on the runtime can minimize the number of fail-recovery procedures and down time overall.

Valuable Features:

Automatic mirroring/backup using snapshots on the runtime can minimize the number of fail-recovery procedures and down time overall. Running Virtualboxes with individual stacks clarifies use cases and minimizes risk while users test different partial solution elements.

Virtualboxes can also run in different physical machines so that the relative demand of processing power can be met while maintaining optimal usage of each physical machine. This ensure that the risk of overloads is minimized during peak demand times.

Improvements to My Organization:

It's helped us utilize spare capacity on servers and test new platforms and frameworks. It has also improved the staging of our apps before implementations.

Room for Improvement:

Managing virtual machine stacks on an individual and stacked basis needs work. It also lacks the ability to perform auto-recovery switchover.

Moreover, they should define Virtualbox stacks as groups of virtual machines working together as solutions. It would also help if they could define auto-backup/mirroring and failover configurations.

Use of Solution:

I am still evaluating the methodologies with the current free versions.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with the deployment.

Stability Issues:

We've had no issues with the stability.

Scalability Issues:

There have been no issues scaling it for our needs.

Initial Setup:

I set it up myself and tried to configure it to the extent of my knowledge.

ERP System Analyst at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Using a virtual operating system simplifies the installation procedure, system maintenance, and system backup. It allows you to be hardware independent.

What is most valuable?

• It's easy to implement.
  • It supports USB 3.0.
  • It provides for cloning of images from real machines or VMs.

How has it helped my organization?

Having a virtual operating system has many advantages. Using such an approach simplifies the installation procedure, system maintenance, and system backup. It allows you to be hardware independent.

What needs improvement?

It needs better support for 3D. This would allow us to virtualize operating systems used by designers or architects. The base virtual disk (VDI file), which contains the state before taking the snapshot, should be aware if it has some related snapshots. This would help to eliminate issues when moving or migrating virtual machines to new hardware, e.g. if you move the base virtual disk file but forget to move the snapshots.

For some Linux distributions, I had a high CPU utilization when running Oracle VM Virtualbox. Sometimes with Linux, there was a problem with freezing the host system.

There were some issues with the toolbar menu when using two monitors. In the end, I managed to get those issues resolved either with changing the virtual machine configuration or by updating to a newer version of Oracle VM Virtualbox.

We've had no issue scaling it to our needs.

I have only used community support and there are a lot of technical guides and discussions that can guide you to a solution.

For virtualizing desktop solutions, we did not use a previous solution. For server environments, we did. I have used Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware ESXi.

The initial setup was clean and straightforward. There might be some additional task to do, e.g. installing the DKMS module on some Linux distributions, but this is rather a distribution-related issue. It is possible to have to change settings in the BIOS, but the software gives enough good information when starting, e.g. if something is not enabled in the BIOS. With Windows, it is very easy to set up a host environment.

All implementations were done by me. I wrote some manuals and guides for my colleagues so they could do the roll-out afterwards.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to have enough hardware resources to run the virtual machines smoothly.

it_user124704
PeopleSoft Administrator at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
We like the fact that Virtualbox is easy to set up, it's ready to go, and we can install Oracle PeopleSoft images on a Linux OS.

Valuable Features

The biggest feature that we like and which is most valuable for us is the fact that Virtualbox is easy to set up, it's ready to go, and we can install Oracle PeopleSoft images on a Linux OS in a fairly quick and efficient time with minimal manual work.

Improvements to My Organization

Our ability to keep up with Oracle PeopleSoft images being installed on the Oracle VM has sped up our turnaround time and allowed us to save time for applying updates to a delivered environment to begin analysis\extraction of fixes and review of functionality.

Room for Improvement

There were some minor issues with the initial setup, such as if we forgot to reinitialize the MAC addresses of the network cards. Also, setting up the network adaptors was a bit tricky.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for about six months.

We went with a physical box, and our biggest issue was being able to get right amount of configuration/memory/disk space and CPU to be able to deploy multiple images on the VM. Realistically the restriction was on our end and not the software itself.

We have had no issues with the stability.

We have had no issues scaling it for our needs.

The level of customer service and support has been very good to date. No complaints there.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward with some minor items that needed to be logged. The biggest issue we came across was if we forgot to reinitialize the MAC addresses of the network cards. If we forgot to do that, we had to go back and re-import the image to the Virtualbox. Setting up the network adaptors was a bit tricky, in the sense where we had to make sure we had enough adapters to do Bridged Adapters.

Implementation Team

We implemented it in-house.

ROI

The ROI on it is obviously to our benefit as we are now able to deploy multiple PeopleSoft images to the Oracle VM and have everything (Web\App\DB\OSES) up and running normally in less than a day. That is a big time saver for us.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

In our situation, the product came as part of our ERP license, therefore we cannot comment on that as its not a separate cost.

Other Solutions Considered

We did not evaluate any other solutions as the Oracle VM was part of our ERP deployment with the new release. It was a requirement and, as such, we implemented it accordingly.

Other Advice

I would say that in terms of implementing this product, it is definitely a powerful tool and what we are using it for is probably less than what it can be used for to maximize the return. Being able to run multiple images on this (Windows, OS X, Linux, Solaris, IBM OS\2 etc.) allows for deployments of multiple OS's and version for testing multiple products\scenarios.

it_user430674
Project Manager at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
We can try our software in virtual machines so that we can find errors, fix them, and then re-test.

What is most valuable?

From our use of it, the most valuable feature we've found is that it can quickly deploy new virtual machines.

How has it helped my organization?

We need to test our new features in virtual machines before deployment. With VM Virtualbox, we can try our software in virtual machines so that we can find errors, fix them, and then re-test, and we can do this over and over again. Because of this, the Snapshots feature is particularly useful and valuable for us.

What needs improvement?

If the system that you want to use for virtualization has no 64-bit support, you need to give it instructions on how to enable it through the Intel virtualization technology in BIOS.

I've used it for seven years.

We had no issues with the deployment.

We had no stability issues.

There have been no issues scaling it for our needs.

Technical support is very good. We can find everything we need to resolve our issues in the support pages online.

We used different products from different vendors, but we chose VirtualBox because it's easy to use and is very stable.

It was very simple to setup.

We implemented it with our in-house team.

We gained a lot of time in the testing phase of free software.

It's free.

What other advice do I have?

I can't do everything I need for virtualization, for example like with vMotion or another solution. You will easily be able to use the software.

it_user418230
IT Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
I can send a VM to a friend to test so they don’t have to install it or port it to my other computers.​

What is most valuable?

VirtualBox can import and export virtual machines in a usable format. It’s also very easy to change settings to fine tune the VM. Also, I can send a VM to a friend to test so they don’t have to install it or port it to my other computers.

How has it helped my organization?

In my personal lab, it helps me explore new Linux distributions or updates before actually installing them.

What needs improvement?

I’d like to see Oracle make it easy to drag and drop files between a VM and the host PC. That would help a lot in saving time transferring files.

I've used it for about six years.

I have had no issues deploying it.

I have had no issues with stability.

I've not had to scale it.

I haven't needed to use customer service.

I have not had to use tech support as there is plenty of information available online.

I used VirtualPC before, but VirtualBox is much better. It offers more configuration options in its settings, and we wanted an alternative to Microsoft products.

Getting used to working through the settings took some time to get the hang of, but after that, it flows smoothly usually.

As a home user, it’s free.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that you use VirtualBox and experiment with different settings.

Assistant Design Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
The most valuable feature for us is deployment of VMware (VMDK) as well as non-VMware (VDI) VMs because most of the test VMs run on ESXi.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is deployment of VMware (VMDK) as well as non-VMware (VDI) VMs because most of the test VMs run on ESXi. In our case, we can just switch back and forth by exporting the VM as a VMDK file, which can then be deployed on the ESXi/ VMware player.

Second valuable feature for us is the Virtual Media Manager where we can see all the disks attached to all the VMs and manage them at one place, which is not there in the commercial products as well.

How has it helped my organization?

A major improvement we've seen is in the testing of the applications before production deployment. Previously, we used to search for physical machines, install OS, and then install application. Now it runs as a VM where I have a OS exported and saved deployment is clean and easy.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see VirtualBox as an OS in itself. It boots first and then we get an option to load whichever OS we want on top of it. However, I am unsure if this already exists in some capacity.

I've been using it for close to six years, starting at college. I use it on both Windows and Linux and keep it updated.

There was no issues with the deployment.

Sometimes on the Windows version, the product hangs for reasons unknown, but the Linux version is very stable.

We have had no issues with the scaling.

I've never interacted with the customer service. All the information required was available in the documentation or in forums.

We we also use the VMware workstation, VMware Player.

It's very straightforward, I would say. Just click next couple of times and you are ready to go.

We did it in-house.

What other advice do I have?

Go ahead and try all you can with this product, provided your hardware has enough juice as you can play around a lot with the product.

Consultant at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
It works, and there is active development of the product by Oracle so that it handles OVM templates.​

Valuable Features:

There are several features we've found valuable, the most valuable of which are --

• the simplicity of the solution;
  • the fact that it's multi-platform; and
  • it has easy-to-install applications.

Improvements to My Organization:

It works, and there is active development of the product by Oracle so that it handles OVM templates.

Room for Improvement:

An area of improvement would be the added ability to create the Oracle RAC clusters we now need to edit a properties file in order to make a VM disk sharable. It would be nice to be able to do that from the GUI.

Use of Solution:

I've been using it for personal use for self-education and training for Linux and Solaris administration, as well as for Oracle products like Database and WebLogic.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We've had no issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

As it's free, the price-per-performance ratio is a big plus.

it_user416094
Web Developer at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
It's given us the ability to spring up test environments quickly and in a reliable manner.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to spring up test environments quickly and in a reliable manner.

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle VirtualBox has enabled me to build testing and development environments which we could not have otherwise built.

What needs improvement?

From the host side, the Oracle VirtualBox could use more automation.

I have used Oracle VirtualBox for two years now.

We have not had any deployment issues so far.

There have been no issues with the stability.

It has been able to scale for our needs without issue.

The documentation for technical support is excellent.

I chose Oracle VirtualBox because it is easily available, free, and open source. It is also the industry standard for web development virtualization software.

Initially, the setup was straightforward with the exception of setting up the network. Documentation helped me to solve the problems though.

I implemented the solution using a vendor team. Make sure to reserve enough space for the virtual hard drive and make sure to set up the network settings correctly.

Our Return on Investment has been excellent.

Oracle VirtualBox is free.

What other advice do I have?

If you are running multiple virtual machines at the same time, please make sure you have enough resources to do this.

Service Area Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The most valuable feature for us was the speed of setup.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature for us was the speed of setup. From zero to mere minutes, I can have something working.

Improvements to My Organization

It's nice that we can use it on Linux as we use it on Windows.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to see phpVirtualBox integration or something like that. VM Virtualbox lacks this feature and it would be nice to have web remote access on it.

Use of Solution

I've used it for many years. I think I started with v2 or v3.

I think Linux had a little problem installing it, but nothing so important that I remember the specific problem.

There is an issue with stability only when I used it with phpVirtualBox.

We have had no issues scaling it for our needs.

I've never had to contact tech support, as the documentation was enough for me.

The initial setup was very simple.

We did it in-house.

ROI

As it's very simple and documentation is available, there are no problems with ROI in general.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

There is the enterprise version, which I did not test because I did not need it. I remember that it was an interesting way to bulk sell about 50 or 100 licenses at one time. Of course, the price was way over what I had in mind to do with Virtualbox, so I just skipped. I think, also, that the open source version will cover all your needs until you need 50-100 licenses.

Other Advice

It's excellent for the speed of setup, to install/deploy/test things, but for serious work I prefer to work on Proxmox. I just loved it.

it_user136407
Senior Application Specialist at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

It allows me to run VMs on my laptop. I am able to develop and test my infrastructure automation scripts locally before running in production. Also, I do Java programming, so I can set up VM for my projects and scrap it once projects are finished -- with backup, of course.

How has it helped my organization?

We used to be making changes on servers, especially for infrastructure changes. It is difficult to maintain and roll back. Sometimes there are multiple possible solutions and we want to try all of them to find out the best one. Virtualbox gives us the peace of mind to try whatever crazy things that we want to. Just take a snapshot, try it, and restore. Easy and fast.

What needs improvement?

Networking options need improvement. Once I had an idea to move my development work into Ubuntu, however it is not possible to run VM within VM. The solution is to play around with the networking so that all VMs run within the same network and use one of them as a master node. But sometimes I need to test the scripts to run in a different network. I couldn't find an easy solution for that situation.

I've used it for two years at work, and if you consider exploratory work, close to three years.

We had no issues with the deployment.

Sometimes a VM doesn't start normally and I have to reinstall the product. It could be a combination of Windows' and Virtualbox's issues.

We haven't scaled it as I'm only using it on my laptop.

I've never had to use customer service.

I've not had to contact technical support, but the community support is good.

We previously used VMware. Virtualbox is easier to install when I already have a host OS. I don't need another client to connect to it.

The initial setup is straightforward. Just download the installer and install.

We implemented it in-house. For infrastructure-as-code, try to combine Virtualbox with other tools such as Chef and Vagrant.

I am not using the paid version so I can't comment.

What other advice do I have?

Just go ahead and try it out. Again, combine it with Chef, Vagrant and Git, which will make your life much easier in the long run.

it_user104151
IT Director at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
We're able to run and then roll back operating system change tests for multiple systems on one piece of hardware.

Valuable Features

Being able to run and then roll back operating system change tests for multiple systems on one piece of hardware is the most valuable feature for us.

Improvements to My Organization

With this solution, we need to have less hardware and we're able to to perform faster testing.

Room for Improvement

I've had networking issues when I travel with my laptop. Switching VMs from NAT to bridge is a nuisance.

Use of Solution

I've used it for five years.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

We had no issues with the stability.

We've not scaled it at all. I just run three different versions of Linux and three on Windows at different times.

Customer Service:…

Room for Improvement

Use of Solution

I've used it for five years.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

We had no issues with the stability.

I've not had to use customer service at all.

I've not had to contact technical support.

The setup is always straightforward.

I implemented it myself.

ROI

It saved me five whole computers.

Other Solutions Considered

I've not had to look at any other solutions as it does exactly what I need without fuss.

Other Advice

Go for it, and make sure to add plenty of RAM to the host.

IT Analyst with 51-200 employees
I value its native ability to use other VM machines files like QEMU and VMware.

What is most valuable?

The ease-of-use and versatility are among the good qualities of this solution. I also value its native ability to use other VM machines files like QEMU and VMware.

How has it helped my organization?

We can test and evaluate software and systems in a controlled environment before the roll-out to production.

What needs improvement?

It would be great to have a hypervisor version of VirtualBox running on servers.

I’ve been using VirtualBox since it was launched many years ago by Innotech.

We found no problems deploying it.

VirtualBox is a very stable product and we found no problems.

It has been able to scale to our needs without any issues.

We have never ever had the need to use technical support.

We tried VMWare VMPlayer in the beginning, but VirtualBox outperformed it and so it became our choice.

It’s a very simple and straightforward process.

It was an in-house implementation.

We use the personal licensing option as we use it on a few machines.

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, this product is the best available option for testing virtual appliances and operating systems. I use it also as a means of running multiple virtual machines without changing my business desktop environment. We recommend VirtualBox as an excellent product for evaluating new systems or softwares.

Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
I've used VMWarePlayer and VirutalPC but decided on VM Virtualbox for support of Snapshot and Linux

What is most valuable?

Snapshot

How has it helped my organization?

Building a sandbox to evaluate the new feature and scrape after tested

What needs improvement?

Overhead of Memory and CPU resource

More than 6 years (since VirtualBox 1.6)

Not particularly

New release may experience stability issues with a new guest OS such as Windows 8

Due to memory overhead, I would not suggest creating more than 6 VM instances per one physical platform

Customer Service: Moderate (3/5)Technical Support: Moderate (3/5)

Which solution

What is most valuable?

Snapshot

How has it helped my organization?

Building a sandbox to evaluate the new feature and scrape after tested

What needs improvement?

Overhead of Memory and CPU resource

More than 6 years (since VirtualBox 1.6)

Not particularly

Customer Service: Moderate (3/5)Technical Support: Moderate (3/5)

VMWarePlayer - no support of Snapshot VirutalPC - unstable and no support for Linux

Pretty easy

In-house team

Minimal - because the setup was straightforward and operation is easy

VMWarePlayer VirtualPC

What other advice do I have?

Community support is the best source for implementation assistance
Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Awesome Virtualization Software developed by Sun Microsystems

Valuable Features:

OracleVM is an excellent alternative to Virtual PC and other client-side virtualization tools.It's mostly open source, and supplies the ability to run virtualized OS's from a lightweight and incredibly user friendly environment.It provides comparable features to other solutions that target the same market, and goes above and beyond in some aspects.Like I said in one of my other reviews, one of the biggest "sellers" for this software, is that it's free. You really cant beat free from a price perspective.

Room for Improvement:

Even with the "add-ons" tools that come with OracleVM, some features that are available in other solutions, are simply not there.One mentioned in another review, is the dragging and dropping of files between host and VM. Another major issue, is that you technically cannot use this software to host a remotely accessible virtual machine without using alternative access software such as VNC or RDP, depending on your virtualized OS.Back when I started using OracleVM, Sun Microsystems was a separate company and it was called Virtualbox. I stopped using it for one reason and one reason only, because Oracle closed off portions of the code, creating an OSE (open source edition) and a CSE (closed source edition) of the software.

Other Advice:

This pushed me away, as it used to be wholly open source.
it_user1083
Manager of Operations at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oracle VM is a solution for virtual servers and machines. This software is freely available in the market.

Valuable Features:

Oracle VM Virtual Box is an open source virtualisation software which is recommended wherever budget is a issue. The software is worth using. You can virtually run different OS on a physical platform. You can run Linux on a windows system virtually or otherwise. There is an easy set up procedure for interface virtual machines with the software. You can create different VLANs and interface groups of VMs or nodes. There is also an option for switching data from the physical machine to the virtual machine and vice versa, by using share folders. You can also optimize your physical desktop and virtual desktop as well.

Room for Improvement:

In Oracle VM a simple drag and drop of files and folders between the host machine and the virtual machine is not available. Compared to other commercial virtualisation software, VMware has the facility by inclusion of its Additions feature. The matter gets worse between two different OS like Windows on the host and Linux on the Virtual machine. Some difficulties can be faced while installing virtual networking drivers on a virtual machine. It is time consuming and uploading of drives to the guest system is complicated.

Other Advice:

Pricing is a major advantage in the case of Oracle VM. The software freely available, and can therefore be used easily and tried first before acquiring the commercial software. OS that is to be installed in the guest system, can be easily installed by uploading .ISO image. This is easier and faster.
it_user1035
Developer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Free, Amazing and Powerful, Cross-platform Virtualization Software

Valuable Features:

1. It is a free software 2. Performance is at a very good level 3. If there is a problem it can be fixed easily because it has a good community website.

Room for Improvement:

If the user faces a problem he has to read a large amount of docs to fix them.

Other Advice:

Oracle VM Virtual box is a very good tool for me. The main reason is that it is a free product. Also, if I face a problem, I can fix it because the community website provides very good support. You do not need to have a high level of skills to work with it. As a student and a programmer, I have to use it with different operating systems. I have to check my codes in several operating systems. For that, Oracle VM is a very useful tool. On my laptop, I am running Ubuntu on OracleVM.
it_user1011
Manager of Data Center at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
Free and competitive Desktop Visualization tool

Valuable Features:

1. OracleVm Virtual box is free. 2. It is relatively fast, with an enjoyable performance. 3. It also allows you to connect to a virtual machine through the Remote Desktop Protocol.

Room for Improvement:

I found it difficult to print from the host printer.Oracle VM Virtualbox is my first choice when it comes to desktop visualization. It doesn’t require any additional skill to deploy. With a simple wizard, I was able to install Windows 8 better edition on my laptop running windows 7. I also have Ubuntu running on the OracleVM.

Other Advice:

OracleVM has been helpful to me, as I now test my scripts on different operating systems in a single machine before deploying them. This makes my work much easier, without incurring additional costs. Supporting my remote clients with diverse OS is much easier. All I need to do is open a similar operating system to theirs, in my system, as I guide them through some task. Before now, I had to look for a PC running a similar OS, before guiding them through some tasks.