Oracle VM Overview

Oracle VM is the #7 ranked solution in our list of best Server Virtualization Software. It is most often compared to KVM: Oracle VM vs KVM

What is Oracle VM?

Oracle VM for x86

Oracle VM for x86 is a Xen based server virtualization platform for public and private cloud and traditional on premise deployment. Oracle VM offers full lifecycle and application deployment from disk to cloud.

Designed and optimized for security, efficiency and performance Oracle VM supports major hardware vendors x86 and storage platforms and can run workloads on Linux, Windows and Oracle Solaris. Uniquely for our virtualization platform it offers live patching via Ksplice enhancing security and minimizing service disruption. Oracle VM supports hard partitioning which can significantly reduce software applications licensing costs.

Oracle VM for SPARC

Oracle VM for SPARC is a firmware based virtualization platform for Oracle and Fujitsu SPARC based servers running Solaris. Oracle VM supports hard partitioning which can significantly reduce software applications licensing costs.

Oracle VM Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle VM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Oracle VM Customers

Ambulance Victoria, Australian Finance Group (AFG), Avnet Technology Solutions, CERN, cloudKleyer, Danish Tax Authority (SKAT), Data Intensity, Dubai World, Engineers Australia, Enkitec, Groupe FLO, Guerra S.A. Implemento, s Rodovišrios, Interactive One, IT Convergence, Jesta Digital, Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, KT, Kyoto Prefecture, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory / National Ignition Facility, Multinet Pakistan, National Australia Bank (NAB), Navis LLC, Overhead Door, Overstock.com, Paragon Data, Parks Victoria, Pella, Sunway Shared Services, St. Louis Metro, Terminales Ro de la Plata S.A., University of Massachusetts, Versace,

Oracle VM Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

MS
Manager-Data Center at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
A database solution that does not provide enough storage

What is our primary use case?

My primary use of this product is for a database. I use this solution because it can work together with our other Oracle solutions.

What needs improvement?

There is no memory over-subscription and CPU over-subscription. That has to be improved in terms of Oracle VM perspective. The other leading VM software solutions have this feature.

More than five years.

For me, the stability is fine. But, I only primarily use it for the database role.

There is a huge gap that Oracle VM needs to tighten in order to be more scalable, as well as more competitive with other VM products currently on the market.  …
IW
‎Solutions Consultant
A cheap VM tool that should integrate backups more readily

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this for server virtualization. I also use it for application deployment. Oracle has a lot of templates for most of the enterprise application that they sell the market. So, it is easier to deploy those application using one Oracle VM template than actually setting up a server from scratch. Oracle VM is very handy in that a user can easily deploy the templates, pre-configures and does a few customizations within a short time-span.

• "The support staff in the tech support team at Oracle has improved. I find them extremely helpful and they give very solid support."
  • "This solution is not as stable as other solutions in the market. But, Oracle has made an effort to improve these issues with recent updates."

What other advice do I have?

Nothing is simple about virtualization software products anymore. They are becoming more complex by the day. Now, with the advent of containers, the complexity has increased. Nothing is simple. Users must be dedicated to understand these VM solutions.
Learn what your peers think about Oracle VM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
502,104 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SS
Consultant at hadafq8
A cloud-based solution that is inexpensive

• "It is simple and straightforward, and it will only require you one system integrator to do the job."
  • "The management can be improved more, and become more agile. It would be nice for it to become more rich in terms of UI. In addition, the replication to disaster recovery needs improvement."
AC
‎Senior Presales Engineer of DataCenter and Digital Transformation at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Highly stable and scalable

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this for demonstrations for customers.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use, and easy to start.

More than five years.

It is a stable product.

The scalability is good. For us, we do not have a need for a lot of servers, so it suits our needs. We have about 30 users of this solution.

The tech support is good.

It was a complex setup. It was very difficult for me.

If you buy an Oracle server, this solution is free. You have to only pay…
TP
Senior Project Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It is a useful product, but the price is high.

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for project management.

How has it helped my organization?

It is very useful for the project management of our company.

Integrating with the internal system is not very easy.

We reached out to tech support via email, and they responded to our inquiries.

It was very easy to setup. We used the wizard to automatically setup the master data and the initial data.

The price of this product is high.
RF
DBA at dbafox
Oracle virtual machine templates for rapid deployment are very useful

What is our primary use case?

We are building a private cloud with Oracle VM. We want to implement Oracle RAC with Clusterware releases 12.2 and 18c, and with Oracle Database releases 11.2.0.4 to 18c.

How has it helped my organization?

We will implement a full dev/test environment with Oracle RAC and standalone databases. We will be able to fully use our ULA license agreement with Oracle and provide flexibility to our development teams.

What is most valuable?

Oracle virtual machine templates for rapid deployment are very useful. This allows us to deploy already-implemented and optimized virtual machines.

What needs improvement?

Snapshotting could be easier. And there could be more intuitive ways for cloning of virtual machines.

Still…
User at Mythics Inc
Video Review
Free hypervisor, enables me to move VMs, while Site Guard automates failover to DR sites

• "Overall, the biggest performance is around virtualization and automation, you can build private clouds with Oracle VM using Enterprise Manager."
  • "One is the hypervisor. Right now, it’s all using Xen. What would be really helpful is to have some choice, and the underlying hypervisor technology use KVM which is very popular with certain workloads."
Oracle VM SME at TDS (OneNeck IT Solutions)
Video Review
Complements the performance of the database but the monitoring side could be improved

• "The virtualization product Oracle puts out just complements the performance of the database.​"
  • "I would say third-party plugins to other storage vendors. There are a lot of converged infrastructure setups; one that we have, multiple different hardware vendors. So that would be something we could definitely be looking for."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor what's important, obviously, is the reputation in the industry, the kind of support they provide, and the features of the product that we'll be using. If you're going from a bare metal type of implementation, the expectation is going to be that the performance level will be there, and Oracle VM is definitely a product that gives you that.
Consultant at Temperies
Performance for Linux, I'm able to manage it via Command Line

• "Because of the virtualization for Linux, I use just Linux basically in all VMs, a few with Windows."
  • "I think more Command-Line options for the product, for deployments."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Oracle VM instead of VMware or some other Windows native solution to virtualize Linux servers. It's performant for Linux.
Consultant at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
The Red Hat KVM is better than the OVM in terms of performance and simple support.

eCommerce Expert at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Makes enterprise applications easier to deploy, manage, and support.

• "It provides enhancements for network and storage configuration, policy-based management for delivering application resource flexibility, and a GUI."
  • "Oracle's VM VirtualBox is a powerful, free, and open-source virtualization tool. However, you'll have to read a lot of documents and perform experiments in test environments to make it work for you."

What other advice do I have?

Desktop Virtualization: Oracle's comprehensive desktop virtualization solutions, from secure thin client devices to highly optimized virtual desktop infrastructure software, offer ease of administration, higher security, and better access.
President at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees

• "We've noticed that when working with Citrix with our Oracle clients who also use Oracle Linux, the monitoring and testing is simpler and easier for us to do."
  • "It doesn't monitor everything, which is a little bit more difficult. It doesn't seem to have as many features or metrics to monitor as some others do, so you have to make some homemade scripts to do it."

What other advice do I have?

Try it our and test it, and make sure it's going to be exactly what you need first versus the other options because they all have their own little idiosyncrasies, and you want to make sure it's going to be a fit for your organization.
GO
Sr. Linux Systems Administrator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The management console manages resources, virtual machine templates, and virtual machine images.

• "In terms of server provisioning, it only takes a few clicks of a button and a bit of install automation."
  • "With our current OVM Manager version, migrating a VM from one repository to another repository was really complicated, especially editing and manually matching the configuration."

What other advice do I have?

Based in my experience, I would recommend this product in terms of: * Support * Stability * Scalability * Overall ease of management
Senior Hyperion Systems Architect at Loudoun County Govt.
The valuable features are the cost and the convenience of the physical machines, meaning that you can have multiple virtual machines that you can use for many other different tools.

What other advice do I have?

Prepare for the development time and the allocation of resources. That's the key thing. When you're building an image or a Oracle VM server, how much resources are you allocating? Let's say for example, the storage and buffer memory and the processor speed for each of your instance for that physical server capable of 100 gigabyte of memory, and then you're trying to build 10 servers out of it that are virtual servers. You need to analyze and review, out of those 10 servers, which server needs more resource and more hard space based on your application growth. That is the key thing that I've…
Manager, ERP Technical Support at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
You can scale VMs without affecting the software applications. You can still reconfigure the hardware.

What other advice do I have?

I know that everything is on the cloud; but eventually, if you are a new startup company, go to the VM. You have control over what you have, while at the same time, not dependent on the hardware.
Project Manager & PeopleSoft Administrator at CMPA
I can quickly provision PeopleSoft instances.

What other advice do I have?

Look at what other people are doing, take notes and talk to your Oracle rep. They really come on board and help you out through the process.
Senior Principal Engineer/Architect, Oracle ACE Director at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Oracle has published VM templates for most Oracle products, and you can also build templates by yourself.
Sr. Unix System Administrator at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows hard partitioning to control the number of cores you’re licensing.

What other advice do I have?

Hire me for consulting. That's the big one.
Enterprise Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Video Review
One of the most intriguing things about Oracle VM is that it's a free enterprise-grade hypervisor.

What other advice do I have?

If I have to give it a rating between one and ten I would give it a nine. The reason I would give it a nine is there is some room for improvement with some of the areas in the manager. Some of the integration to the networking layer with the Oracle products would be nice. My recommendation to peers is if you're looking at hypervisors, have an open mind. The market's not just dominated by single hypervisor. Look at the technology out there and give it a fair evaluation of what it's capabilities are.
Systems administrator - Microsoft, Redhat, VMWare, Oracle VM at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Oracle VM was chosen mostly due to licensing issues and it is based on the stable Xen.

What other advice do I have?

VMware is the best, but for saving license costs for Oracle products, Oracle VM is good and stable.
Oracle Middleware Specialist at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
While it is a good solution for virtualization, it is less flexible than other market solutions like VMware.

What other advice do I have?

While it is a good solution for virtualization, Oracle VM is less flexible than other market solutions like VMware.
Oracle DBA at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It’s helped to decrease hardware and software license costs. It's missing an option to create a snapshot backup.

What other advice do I have?

The product is good for the things we want to do with it, but there is room for improvement.
Senior Apps Database Administrator at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
When we migrate physical servers to virtual ones, it reduces the amount of licenses needed.

What other advice do I have?

I personally like working on Oracle VM rather than other virtualization, because of the simplified setup, and probably I am attached to Oracle products maybe, as being an Ex-Employee of Oracle Corp.
IT Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
​We can run software on a host separate from other hardware resources, which is important when we need to take a snapshot and restore it later on another VM.​

What other advice do I have?

Study ahead of time so you know what you're working with. Also, plan your implementation.
CTO/Architect at Viscosity North America
The primary benefit of virtualization is reduced CapEx by getting rid of old hardware and then consolidating them on a defined set of platforms.

What other advice do I have?

The first thing I would suggest is that if you have a test environment, the best thing to do is learn. Get certified hardware and then play with it, test it. Make sure you're comfortable with the whole provisioning setup and configuration of it. Then use it on a much more wider scale.
Oracle Database Administrator at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Live migrations work as advertise and, if set right, it moves VMs around to balance out the resources.

What other advice do I have?

Do not attempt to run OVM on old hardware as it only runs on 64-bit systems. Check with the hardware compatibility guide for more details. This is a great solution and, in my opinion, it's a rare jewel that more Windows shops should be looking at.
Lead Product Dev at a tech company
It's essentially Xen technology that runs on Oracle VM Server for SPARC, all of which runs on a base supported by Oracle, which is great.

Valuable Features:

We use Oracle VM in our datacenter, which helps us run some hard core stuff. It's essentially Xen technology that runs on Oracle VM Server for SPARC, all of which runs on a base supported by Oracle, which is great.

Room for Improvement:

Xen running on Oracle VM differs greatly depending on whether you're using version 2 or version 3 in terms of directories, images, etc. So it takes some getting used to because they weren't release with consistent interfaces.

Use of Solution:

I've been using it since v2.x when it really went into production grade.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

Xen technology running on Oracle VM is rock solid. Again, versions 2 and version 3 are completely different, and it takes some time to…
Infrastructure Projects Director at a non-profit with 5,001-10,000 employees
We can move VM’s while keeping the most important ones available. Oracle must improve their support skills and knowledge base to help clients with issues.​

What other advice do I have?

It still lacks a reliable Oracle VM Manager able to also report performance. Also, Oracle Support knowledge base is still growing. My advice is to have skilled people to implement it. Although it is cheap, it needs the correct skills for a proper cluster implementation and to resolve issues.
IT Manager at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
This product is directly related to hardware, so it is a complete technology with hardware, operating system, and virtualization software.

What other advice do I have?

* Plan everything at the beginning. Do not change plans after you start. * You must know what you are doing. Never leave any responsibility to the vendor or a third-party contractor. * Write what you do, do what you write. Never leave any detail undocumented. * Do something, validate documentation, then delete everything and make someone else do the same thing with the documentation. * Security becomes a big issue after setup. Plan your security requirements during design. The vendor does not care about it. It cannot be added later. * Plan your disaster recovery requirements and make your…
Oracle Database Administrator at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Quick and easy way to deploy new virtual machines from Oracle VM templates and your own templates.

What other advice do I have?

I think it is a good Oracle product, but it is necessary to have a dedicated team with the correct expertise for this task because it is different from other virtualization solutions. The team should include people who know about storage, networking, Oracle Linux OS, Xen Server, Oracle Database, etc.
Unix System Engineer / Oracle Pre-sales Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It supports diverse guest operating systems: Oracle Linux, Oracle Solaris, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, CentOS, and Microsoft Windows.

What other advice do I have?

We are a gold partner, and we use this product to compete with other virtualization products on the market like VMware and Hyper-V. Its features fit most of our customers. You have to be familiar with hardware and Linux. From my experience in designing and architecting Oracle solutions, most customers implement an Oracle VM environment on Oracle X86 Servers with Oracle ZS3 NAS storage or Oracle FS1-2 flash storage.
IT Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Simple to deploy and configurations have been made simpler and cleaner in the latest release.

What other advice do I have?

While the software is still missing a lot of capabilities which its major competitor (VMware) has and a performance boost is highly recommended, it could still be a choice if you have to virtualize Oracle software.
Oracle Consultant & DBA - Cloud Support Engineer at Amazon Web Services
You will have great flexibility in the x86 world. The product needs to improve the backup and snapshot functionality.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great product and becomes better with every release. It is based on the rock solid Xen hypervisor. It's an easy and great product. You can test it for free and you will have great flexibility in the x86 world. Go for it without doubt.
ATS - Database Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We are able to build large hosts using Oracle Virtual Cloud Appliance. ​I’d like to see an improvement in read latency and write bandwidth to meet or exceed VMware's performance.

What other advice do I have?

My main advice is not to do your first install when sitting at the client building a production system. Practice it beforehand and make sure you work the bugs out. Once you install it the first time, it’ll be far easier to breeze through it on subsequent installs.
Senior Digital Technical Lead/Architect at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We can have one VM to share with the team that has all development tools set up.
CISO at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It allows hard partitioning platforms, thus keeping the licenses intact.

Valuable Features

It allows hard partitioning platforms, thus keeping the licenses intact.

Improvements to My Organization

We have two datacenters, holding less than 15 physical servers and still running over 300 virtual ones.

Room for Improvement

With v2.X it was possible to do everything in the CLI or the shell. Now, on v3.X everything must be done either in the GUI or CLI, and there's no option to use the shell. I am old school, so I hate GUI. CLI is working well and I wish it to be that in future.

Use of Solution

We have been using it for the past seven years, and have created 10 different environments.

There have been no issues with the deployments.

There was nasty bug on DomU UEK3 kernel year ago, which wiped virtual machine…
Senior Database Administrator at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
The templates that are available for provisioning database nodes are very helpful. Using these pre-configured templates makes the deployment process quick and efficient.

What other advice do I have?

As a hypervisor, it is effective, however the functionality is a step down from VMware. Upgrades are getting easier to do, but still not as easy as VMware. The current versions seem much more stable than the earlier ones. The best advice I have is to understand the documentation and don’t take prior experience with other hypervisors in to account. A typical database node-guest configuration: The disks for the O/S and swap are configured as Virtual Disks while the LUNs for ASM are configured as Physical Disks. The environment was configured primarily to host our PeopleSoft implementation as…
UNIX Engineer Advisor at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
If you need to put an Oracle Database on Linux or Windows and don't want to pay to license a whole VMware cluster, this is the next best option. There are several VMware features missing.
Engineer at a local government with 501-1,000 employees
You get what you pay for
Oracle database licensing rules make licensing on VMware cost prohibitive. Instead Oracle prefers that you use their "enterprise" virtualization product, Oracle VM. Avoid it at all costs. Threaten to migrate to MS SQL... just don't use this thing. Pros: Free Relatively inexpensive support Cons: Poor and buggy Windows client support. PVM network drivers have a serious performance bug that has not been resolved in more than a year (and three versions updates!). Luckily, there is a workaround where you can disable some features of the virtual NIC to get it working. "High Availability" in the OVM world means that if you shutdown a VM from within the OS, OVM automatically restarts it. If you want to actually shut down a VM you have to disable…
Consulting Manager (EMEA) at Violin Memory
VMware ESX vs. Oracle VM
This is a very simple post to show the results of some recent testing that Tom and I ran using Oracle SLOB on Violin to determine the impact of using virtualization. But before we get to that, I am duty bound to write a paragraph of text featuring lots of long sentences peppered with industry buzz words. Forgive me, it’s just the way I’m wired. It is increasingly common these days to find database environments running in virtual machines – even large, business critical ones. The driver is the trend to commoditize I.T. services and build consolidated, private-cloud style solutions in order to control operational expense and increase agility (not to mention reduce exposure to Oracle licenses). But, as I’ve said in previous posts, the catalyst has been the unblocking of I/O as…
IT Administrator at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Beware using it with Web Services APIs
Developer at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Oracle VM is an extremely feature rich, high performance product, which provides an environment to leverage the benefits of virtualization technology.

What other advice do I have?

Though the latest release 3.1.1 is quite mature and has more to offer in terms of performance, usability, security, and scalability.