Oracle WebLogic Server OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle WebLogic Server is #3 ranked solution in top Application Server tools. IT Central Station users give Oracle WebLogic Server an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle WebLogic Server is most commonly compared to Oracle Fusion Middleware:Oracle WebLogic Server vs Oracle Fusion Middleware. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 39% of all views.
What is Oracle WebLogic Server?

Oracle WebLogic Server 12c, the world’s first cloud-native, enterprise Java platform enables you to fully realize the benefits of cloud computing. Unique multitenancy capability drives massive consolidation. Lightweight microcontainer architecture drives application isolation and 100 percent portability between your private and public cloud. Multi data center high availability architecture protects against application disruption. Developer innovations with full Java EE 7 and Java SE8 support maximize DevOps productivity. Additionally, you continue to have access to the same platform on premises and in the cloud, via Oracle Java Cloud Service, which is based on Oracle WebLogic Server.

For more information on Oracle Weblogic Server, visit Oracle.com

Oracle WebLogic Server was previously known as WebLogic Application Server.

Download the Application Server Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Oracle WebLogic Server Customers
Colab Consulting Pty. Ltd., Infosys Ltd., Sascar, Banca Transilvania, UL, Center for Railway Information Systems, SPAR Austria Group, Reliance Commercial Finance, Industrial Bank of Korea, Al Jaber Group, Safe Water Kenya, Chhattisgarh Infotech and Biotech Promotion Society
Oracle WebLogic Server Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle WebLogic Server pricing:
  • "The licensing fees are annual and depend on the model."
  • "In our country, this is an expensive product."
  • "Fees are paid on a yearly basis."
  • "It is expensive."

Oracle WebLogic Server Reviews

TH
Director of Integration and Support Services at FIPCO
Flexibility and versatility make this product valuable while quarterly updates may impact stability

• "The product is flexible and allows us to leverage deployments."
  • "The quarterly updates can sometimes lead to instability depending on the configuration of systems."

What is our primary use case?

Primarily we deploy WebLogic both as an in-house and a private cloud-hosted server solution for our customers. We have got a couple of different use cases as per specific clients. Our personal use case is just to understand its functionality deploy it to adapt to client needs.

What is most valuable?

The most valued feature is probably simply just the overall functionality. The product has a lot of versatility as far as what we can do with it and that flexibility is valuable in our ability to leverage deployments.

What needs improvement?

We have some pain points with the product. First of all, we know that the Oracle-related WebLogic updates tend to be a little volatile. That is in regards to their regular updates. They do quarterly security patch updates.

People do the updates and over a period and for some of them the updates lead to the product becoming unstable. The updates do not always apply correctly. If there is something that is a little bit off — say, if a customer has installed an extra piece of software or something to modify the system — this can create issues. There are a lot of reasons that can cause WebLogic updates to end up making the whole system unstable.

Having to do with that update issue, we would like to see Oracle add the Diagnostic Pack back in. They used to have it included with the product and it was removed. There is another piece that was also useful in helping with product analysis and stability that they took out after 10g. Right now these helpful modules are just add-ons. Really they should be part of the standard package.

We have got a couple of other smaller problems, but right now our main problem is the Oracle CPU updates. They are timely, but primal as far as installations.

We have been working with Oracle WebLogic Server for a little over five years.

Besides some issues with updates, the product has been pretty stable for us. The instability that we sometimes experience is not necessarily the fault of the product itself and likely is linked to modifications. I can not downgrade the stability of WebLogic based on trying to make the product do something that it was not exactly designed for.

The scalability of the solution seems to be fine. We use the standard edition; we do not use the enterprise level, so I do not have direct experience with the enterprise version. We have been talking to Oracle about changing that and possibly upgrading. They are currently setting up a proof of concept for us, but we have not completed that evaluation yet. The enterprise package would hopefully provide even better opportunities to scale.

We are pretty good at doing our own technical support and supplying it for our clients. The biggest problem right now is versioning. As they update versions we have had to buy extended support to cover potential issues with older versions.

Oracle has quarterly updates, but the licensing fees are annual. In our case, the licensing runs into the thousands as an annual cost. But the pricing depends on the model that you have adopted.

As we go through our contracts and bring on new clients, it is just a part of our normal due diligence to review new products and compare what is available on the market to make sure that we are using the best technology. "The best" is not necessarily the most current, and it is better to describe it as "the best" because newer is not always better. Mature options can evolve and sometimes that result is better than using an otherwise immature solution just because it is new. We just look at options and fit them to use cases.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people considering WebLogic as a solution is to do the same thing that we do right now and what we make sure our clients do. Doing due diligence is not really an option. You have to make sure that a solution — any solution you are considering — matches up with the use cases you are planning to deploy it for. There is no point in investing in the wrong solution.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Oracle WebLogic Server as a seven or eight. If I had to choose between those, I would say seven. It could easily be better and that really detracts from the user and administrative experience.

Hybrid Cloud
MA
Technical Development Lead at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, easy to implement, and has very helpful support services

• "We've got the support we require. If ever there is an issue, can just call on Oracle and they will assist us."
  • "The cost could always be lower."

What is our primary use case?

We have many applications, Java applications, which we are deploying. We also have integration applications, such as Oracle Service Bus which we are deploying. We are using Oracle WebLogic to assist in deployments.

What is most valuable?

It's a very good, very stable server. We haven't faced any issues. That's why we have been using it.

The solution is scalable.

We've got the support we require. If ever there is an issue, can just call on Oracle and they will assist us.

The initial implementation is not difficult.

What needs improvement?

The cost could always be lower. If they could offer the same features at a lower price point, that would be ideal.

We started using the solution in 2011.

We have found the stability to be excellent and the product is very reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It offers very good performance.

The scalability of the solution is good. of a company needs to expand, they can.

We have 30 to 40 people using this product within our organization.

Oracle has excellent technical support. We know that if we have any issues we can always call them and get help. We are satisfied with the level of support we receive.

Previously, we were using Oracle as well as Oracle actually acquired BEA. BEA was actually WebLogic.

The initial setup is easy. It is straightforward. It is not complex.

We have servers and admin-level people who can do the installation. On our machine, development is very easy. It takes minutes to install.

For the deployment process, we did not need more than ten people.

We can handle the installation process ourselves. We do not need integrators or consultants to come in and assist.

The cost of the solution is okay, however, it could always be less. The cost is always something you need to be aware of with Oracle.

We pay Oracle a yearly licensing fee.

We have evaluated another solution that may be open-source. We have planned to move to open-source, although this hasn't happened yet. We want to move to an open-source stack.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user.

We are not on the latest as the latest version that was released was 14. We are still on 12.

I'd rate this solution at an eight out of ten.

I'd recommend the solution to other users if they can afford it.

Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, Red Hat, Apache and others in Application Server. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
GA
Java Full Stack Developer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Integrates well, scalable, but difficult to customize

• "The technical support is responsive. They are always ready to help by various communication channels, such as Zoom calls. However, sometimes it will take a while because when we are dealing with a problem, they need to look at the logs and configuration. A lot of the issues are related to the configuration that they need to look at thoroughly before they can give us a solution and it can take a few days depending on the type of problem."
  • "If you want to use Oracle products to the fullest with enhanced customizations, you need to get trained. There is enough documentation and the flexibility to configure the application to your needs but you will need to spend more time gathering the knowledge."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Oracle WebCenter content to store our enterprise documentation. We want to create a database warehouse to hold all the document information and to allow someone access to any of the documents. This will be a single gateway where someone can check-in and check-out the documents.

What is most valuable?

When we installed Oracle's complete suite it comes with multiple tools and we did not need to separately install WebLogic because all these solutions run under WebLogic itself. Once we install it, we have an administration console to enhance it. There are a couple of other related Oracle products that it can integrate with it. For example, if you want to include Oracle WebCenter Capture (WCC) or Form Recognition (WCFR), these are different modules. We have only done a couple of integrators and that has been for WCC and WCFR.

What needs improvement?

If you want to use Oracle products to the fullest with enhanced customizations, you need to get trained. There is enough documentation and the flexibility to configure the application to your needs but you will need to spend more time gathering the knowledge.

I have been using Oracle WebLogic Server for approximately one year.

The stability of the WebLogic Server is good. If you are dealing with multiple versions, you may need to work on some patch activities, but other than that it is good.

The scalability is very good.

The technical support is responsive. They are always ready to help by various communication channels, such as Zoom calls. However, sometimes it will take a while because when we are dealing with a problem, they need to look at the logs and configuration. A lot of the issues are related to the configuration that they need to look at thoroughly before they can give us a solution and it can take a few days depending on the type of problem.

The solution was part of an Oracle suite and was installed with it which was easier than installing it seperately.

What other advice do I have?

Those wanting to implement this solution will need to check what their desired functionality specific to the implementation is and if it in fact the solution can satisfy the purpose. For example, if the solution can operate without customization, and if so, you can relax and do the implementation easily. However, if your implementation requires a lot of customization changes, such as changing the behavior or the skin, it will not be straightforward. You will need to spend a lot of time getting the knowledge to do the customizations.

I rate Oracle WebLogic Server a six out of ten.

EN
Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Performs well and has good integration with security features, but we're having trouble with stability

• "It has good integration with security features, including OWASP."
  • "In the future, I would like to see better support for the REST interface."

What is our primary use case?

We are a software solution provider and I am a Java software developer. When I deploy my work, I use an application server like Oracle WebLogic.

We have not deployed this product for our own use, but rather for a client. It is being used as a SOAP solution for a backend service for a BASE24-eps ACI product.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the performance.

It has good integration with security features, including OWASP.

What needs improvement?

We have had some problems with cluster solutions when working with a WebLogic domain. It may be because the error codes and error information is poor.

In the future, I would like to see better support for the REST interface.

I have been working with Oracle WebLogic for about three years.

We're having trouble with the stability of this solution.

In our country, we have had trouble with scalability because the DPS is lower.

Our client is a large company, but the market as a whole is small.

The Oracle team is not a good provider when it comes to supporting. They do not have good knowledge of the technical aspects, so Google is better.

The documentation is really good. The community is also good, although the documentation is better.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is not complex.

The deployment takes approximately two weeks at the client's site, on-premises. The total time it takes for implementation is perhaps three months.

In our country, this is an expensive product.

My client is moving from Oracle to a Red Hat solution. The main driver is that it is open-source.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

SP
Oracle SOA & J2EE Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Secure, reliable, easy to install, easy to scale, and has good support

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution with an insurance portal.

What is most valuable?

Oracle WebLogic Server is secure.

What needs improvement?

Licensing fees need improvement.

I have been supporting Oracle WebLogic Server for ten years.

Oracle WebLogic Server is a stable product.

We have no issues with the scalability of the Oracle WebLogic Server.  In our organization, we have 3,000 to 4,000 customers.

Technical support is fine. I don't have any issues with the support. Depending on the severity of the issue will determine the length of time it takes to…

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution with an insurance portal.

What is most valuable?

Oracle WebLogic Server is secure.

What needs improvement?

Licensing fees need improvement.

I have been supporting Oracle WebLogic Server for ten years.

Oracle WebLogic Server is a stable product.

We have no issues with the scalability of the Oracle WebLogic Server.

In our organization, we have 3,000 to 4,000 customers.

Technical support is fine. I don't have any issues with the support.

Depending on the severity of the issue will determine the length of time it takes to get a response.

If it is a severe case, they will respond immediately. They will prioritize the support depending on the severity.

The installation is straightforward. It's easy.

The complete setup takes a week.

We have a team of five to ten people who maintain this solution.

I completed the installation and setup myself.

Fees are paid on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Oracle WebLogic Server a nine out of ten.

OguzMutlu
Sr. Devops Engineer at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
Is stable and scalable but not easy to manage

• "It's a very stable solution."
  • "The administration is hard, and it is more complex to use than others."

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle WebLogic Server on our e-commerce webpage to manage and monitor it.

What is most valuable?

I mostly like the stability. It's a very stable solution.

It is also scalable and has a user-friendly UI.

What needs improvement?

The administration is hard, and it is more complex to use than others.

It could be more user friendly and easier to manage.

Also, starting off the applications in Oracle WebLogic Server takes a long time.

I have one and a half years of experience with this solution.

It is a very stable solution.

It's easier to scale up or scale down. The UI is user friendly.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that you should test the performance after the installation. You may struggle while starting the application.

You can analyze deeply how to manage Oracle WebLogic Server and how to set up the configurations. It's a little complex.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this solution at six.

YB
Manager Database at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Robust, scalable, good support, and easy to deploy

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for our core banking application server.

What is most valuable?

It is quite robust in comparison to other application servers.

What needs improvement?

Its pricing should be better. We are analyzing other options, such as JBoss, because of the cost of WebLogic.

I have been using this solution for 10 to 15 years.

It is very stable.

It is very scalable. We have approximately 4,000 users.

Their technical support is good. There are no issues.

It is straightforward and easy. It takes a day to deploy it.…

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for our core banking application server.

What is most valuable?

It is quite robust in comparison to other application servers.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for 10 to 15 years.

It is very stable.

It is very scalable. We have approximately 4,000 users.

Their technical support is good. There are no issues.

It is straightforward and easy. It takes a day to deploy it.

It is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution if you can afford it. Its biggest disadvantage is pricing.

I would rate Oracle WebLogic Server a nine out of ten.

BY
Solutions Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Good for developing and running applications, performs well

What is our primary use case?

Oracle WebLogic Server is used for developing, and running applications.

What needs improvement?

The integration could be improved. We need technology to be able to integrate. I'd like to see it more cloud, defined, and easier to maintain in the next release.

I have been working with Oracle WebLogic Server for the last four years.

What other advice do I have?

We have some hosted servers as well as some of our own. It performs well. From an ability perspective, I would rate it an eight out of ten.

What is our primary use case?

Oracle WebLogic Server is used for developing, and running applications.

What needs improvement?

The integration could be improved. We need technology to be able to integrate.

I have been working with Oracle WebLogic Server for the last four years.

What other advice do I have?

We have some hosted servers as well as some of our own. It performs well.

From an ability perspective, I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Product Categories
Application Server
Download our free Application Server Report and find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, Red Hat, Apache, and more!