OutSystems OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

OutSystems is #3 ranked solution in top Mobile Development Platforms, #7 ranked solution in top Low-Code Development Platforms, and #10 ranked solution in top Rapid Application Development Software. IT Central Station users give OutSystems an average rating of 8 out of 10. OutSystems is most commonly compared to Microsoft PowerApps:OutSystems vs Microsoft PowerApps. OutSystems is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is OutSystems?
OutSystems is the number one platform for low-code rapid application development. Thousands of customers worldwide trust OutSystems as only solution that combines the power of low-code development with advanced mobile capabilities, enabling visual development of entire application portfolios that easily integrate with existing systems.
OutSystems Buyer's Guide

Download the OutSystems Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

OutSystems Customers
Randstad, Warner Brothers, HP, Intel, ING, Banco Popular, Thrivent Financial, Bacardi, Kent State University, Bacardi, FICO, ING, Vodafone, AbbVie, Estafeta, Siemens, Vopak
OutSystems Video

Archived OutSystems Reviews (more than two years old)

AernoudtBottemanne
CTO at IG&H
Great platform, very stable and it does automatic dependency checking: very useful for enterprise environments

• "You can go huge - so it is definitely a scalable solution."
  • "It needs improvement in the AI capability."

What is our primary use case?

We don't sell OutSystems as a separate solution. We sell it as a platform. And then you win a lot of solutions on top of it. So that can be a second process, it can be a middle phase, it can be a portal, it can be many things, but it is useful for small apps to complete ERP systems and everything in-between.

How has it helped my organization?

It supports implementing Agile at scale, as it enables working in an iterative way, and it is very fast. Time to value as a result has dropped significantly!

What is most valuable?

What I like most about this solution is that it does automatic dependency checking in enterprise environments, which means that the application will automatically test if it can work in the environment of the customer or not. Instead of only having to find it out when it is too late. Normally, if you build software, you test it and then you deploy it. In the real world, it sometimes happens that it does not work and then you quite often have to figure out why is it happening. So this step is completely taken away because OutSystems tests the functionality of the software against the existing systems in an automatic session and that is very valuable.

What needs improvement?

Something that can be improved is that I would like them to be a little more flexible in the area of containerization. They're currently running on Docker on Windows, but I think they should also support Docker on Linus too. Needs a little more effort.

I've worked with OutSystems for many years now - I've worked with it, I've implemented it, and we use it in our company too.

OutSystems is extremely stable. We are replacing complete back-end systems with it, and are in progress to go complete mainframe replacements with it.

You can go to huge back-ends with OutSystems - so it is definitely a scalable solution.

The technical support is quite good, although it could be better: it currently fluctuates a little depending on how busy they are. Also it depends on your contract (what level of support you have).

The initial setup is super simple and you can do it from your desktop. That is if you only want to implement the platform, but if you have a more complex enterprise setting, then it will be a little more complex and you will have to do some configuration, and up-front think about what functionality you expect to need (particularly if you chose to run on a native AWS or Azure environment so that you can make full use of all the functionality of those 2 CLoud environments. If you do not know exactly how the platform works and what it can do, you can implement certain things and redo a few things. But that's not a deficit. More power comes with more responsibility, l always say.

That depends on the kind of solution you are building and at what speed: the more you build, the higher the ROI.

For a single application, it's too expensive, but that's also not what the OutSystems aims for. Personally I don't think that's the smart approach. Their model is really based on platform and not every customer is ready to adopt a platform at the start. So, as a result, they actually limit their own success and results at the moment. But that isn't a huge issue. If you look at the value of the platform, I think the pricing is fair.

We looked at multiple alternatives, including (but not limited to) Appian, Betty Blocks, Mendix, Kony , Pega etc. They all have their own stronger and weaker points, yet we chose OutSystems as it is the most suitable platform for an Enterprise environment. As we do end2end transformations, this is why we chose OutSystems.

What other advice do I have?

I will rate OutSystems a nine out of ten because if you look at other solutions, they do not have the functionality, the scalability and the performance of OutSystems, even if their prices are lower. So if you need a platform for a large organization, OutSystems is the one.

To make it the perfect solution, it needs improvement in the AI capability. I would say that it would be nice to augment the functionality for the citizen development even further and augment the cloud's platform controls so that you can more easily run in a hybrid cloud environment too. Next to better branching options.

A word of advice to others is that they should align the business and IT because many people look at it from a technical point of view. And that is another really smart thing to do because it is really about driving the value. Because I've seen customers that bought either mandates or OutSystems or any other platforms and a lot of them had difficulties in getting the value out of it. And the reason was because if the IT or individual departments don't know how to define the proper user requirements, and then it is too difficult to successfully deploy it. It is therefore very important for the business and IT team to work together because that is the most common mistake people make.

Marcos Galigarcia
CEO & Founder at RiskBucket.net
You need jQuery/CSS skills for customization of the GUI

What is our primary use case?

Created an operational-risk-management and issue-management application.

How has it helped my organization?

We got discounted pricing from them in writing and built for a year, but now they require 50% more.

What is most valuable?

Fast for server-side development.  Easy to learn.  GUI is good.

What needs improvement?

You need jQuery/CSS skills for customization of the GUI.  Reporting is very light.  No built-in BI.

Trial/evaluations only.

What is our primary use case?

Created an operational-risk-management and issue-management application.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• Fast for server-side development.
  • Easy to learn.
  • GUI is good.

What needs improvement?

• You need jQuery/CSS skills for customization of the GUI.
  • Reporting is very light.
  • No built-in BI.

Trial/evaluations only.
Learn what your peers think about OutSystems. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user877131
IT Application Developer at a hospitality company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Refactoring with TrueChange is very simple

• "Refactoring with TrueChange is very simple."
  • "Their out-of-the-box UI is quite good."
  • "Speed of delivery: We were able to reduce development time by 30%."
  • "When shared extensions are updated, all the applications are redeployed."
  • "Mobile apps should have been fully native."
  • "Writing custom code still needs to be done via Integration Studio. This might have been added to the IDE."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to build applications for internal users.

How has it helped my organization?

• Speed of delivery: We were able to reduce development time by 30%.
  • Able to automate manual processes in various departments.

What is most valuable?

• Great built-in features to get us up and running in no time.
  • Their out-of-the-box UI is quite good.
  • Easy deployment
  • Refactoring with TrueChange is very simple.
  • Monitoring and logging are built into it.

What needs improvement?

• Writing custom code still needs to be done via Integration Studio. This might have been added to the IDE.
  • When shared extensions are updated, all the applications are redeployed.
  • Mobile apps should have been fully native.

VitorRosario
Outsystems Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
I can make updates on the fly, as requirements change, when meeting customers

• "For me, the most valuable feature is the flexibility the tools give us to change any customer requirements on the fly, when we are in a meeting. I also like how easy it is to deploy the code between environments and how easy it is to integrate OutSystems with other systems."
  • "The latest version of the app generation tools could be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

I use OutSystems' platform to build mobile apps for our customers as well as good old-fashioned web applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Before using Outsystems to develop a client's reporting systems, the process would take six months to complete a report. After using Outsystems, and building a custom application, report-building is one click away - and it only took us three months to build the custom application using OutSystems.

What is most valuable?

For me, the most valuable feature is the flexibility the tools give us to change as customer requirements change, on the fly, when we are in a meeting. I also like how easy it is to deploy the code between environments and how easy it is to integrate OutSystems with other systems.

What needs improvement?

The latest version of the app generation tools could be more user-friendly.

More than five years.

You can have your solution on the cloud or on-premise, it all depends how you develop your code. But from my 11 years experience, well-developed solutions don't have stability issues.

All platforms and languages have their limitations. If the solution is designed, from the beginning, to scale properly, there will be no problem at all with OutSystems. The way OutSytems works, it is not too hard to scale.

Technical support is good, always able to help.

Setup is not complex at all.

You should contact OutSystems for more details but my opinion is that it is not for small business budgets.

What other advice do I have?

The conventional coding rules don't apply here. You need to have an open mind and let the platform take control from you at times.

Carolina Bessa
Software Engineer at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
Streamlines development, allows us to focus on logic and business requirements

• "The most valuable feature is Agile development. I love that you save a lot of time on development and can focus on logic and business requirements."
  • "Mobile apps need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Customer track and trace. We get information from SAP which is updated later by carriers (via EDI). The user interface is built in OutSystems.

How has it helped my organization?

Development timeframe and deliveries on sprints. Customers can check the progress on a weekly basis and provide adjustments and comments right away.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Mobile apps need improvement.

More than five years.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Technical support is a 10 out of 10.

We did not have a previous solution. We started the department using OutSystems with the goal of creating applications for our internal customers (departments and warehouse customers) to help their main businesses.

Setup was straightforward. I was not there at that time, but I know that it was very smooth. The developer at the time was trained by OutSystems and this helped with the first applications.

It is still very expensive, so small companies can’t generally afford it. We hope that this changes. Still, the time saving on development and delivery is worth the value.

What other advice do I have?

Agile development is really worth it. Depending on the size of your department – and requirements – you don’t need a big development team. The same developer can take care of all steps: analysis, development, implementation, support.

PRAMOD JAIN
Associate Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Visual modeling capabilities, drag and drop functionality, allow you to see what you are coding

• "The most important features of this tool are its visual modeling capabilities and drag and drop functionality. You can see what you are coding which makes it easy to understand and maintain. They have also created a big revolution in digital transformation by introducing native mobile app development under the same IDE."
  • "Integrations with external systems with SOAP and REST are easy to implement off-the-shelf, but a developer can always implement specific libraries for other integrations."
  • "Our previous solution had other overheads such as release management, version management, code management, monitoring, etc., all of which are built-in with OutSystems."
  • "There are many tutorials available but they are very basic and good for learning the platform. To develop an enterprise-grade application, advanced tutorials need to be developed to help IT professionals design/develop high-quality/performance applications."

What is our primary use case?

First and foremost, OutSystems is one of the most robust platforms I've ever tried. Our primary goal was to reduce the overall development time and deliver to the customer faster than anyone else can.

How has it helped my organization?

During the evaluation phase of OutSystems, we realized that it not only reduces development time but also helps in the overall delivery of our project/product. This platform provides our developers the edge they need to create, deploy, change, and manage mobile and web apps quickly and efficiently. With OutSystems' platform, developers can easily develop and build applications that work on any device, as well as cater to the needs of all types of employees, customers, and partners.

Even with it being a low-code platform, we have never encountered a problem that cannot be solved within OutSystems. We developed many enterprise-level applications in half the time when compared to traditional development tools.

Our primary focus is always our customer success and satisfaction. By using OutSystems, we started delivering results quickly to our customer without compromising the quality of the product. Performance and security are key factors for an IT application/product. With OutSystems, these goals can easily be achieved. We are pleased to say that we are making our customer happy by delivering a quality product in less time.

What is most valuable?

It has so many features and almost every one of them is awesome. It makes our development life easier.

The most important features of this tool are its visual modeling capabilities and drag and drop functionality. You can see what you are coding which makes it easy to understand and maintain. They have also created a big revolution in digital transformation by introducing native mobile app development under the same IDE.

What needs improvement?

OutSystems is a great platform if used by those who are experienced. There are many tutorials available but they are very basic and good for learning the platform. To develop an enterprise-grade application, advanced tutorials need to be developed to help IT professionals design/develop high-quality/performance applications.

More than five years.

During the initial phase we encountered many issues with the platform that were limiting us but, as we became experienced with the platform, we were able to achieve almost everything that other development platforms can do.

There are certain design standards which, if you don’t follow them, will cause many problems in scaling up your product/application. How you use this product depends on your experience.

The technical support is not very good but I still give it a six out of 10.

We were using traditional development tools like Java/.NET but the overall development time was longer compared to Outsystems. Also, our previous solution had other overheads such as release management, version management, code management, monitoring, etc., all of which are built-in with OutSystems.

They have pretty good documentation to set up the environment and you just need to follow the instructions.

Pricing could be a concern. You have to pay yearly, even after you have completed your development.

What other advice do I have?

I started using this solution in 2012 and still am using it for many of our customers and internal projects. OutSystems is a robust, low-code platform that can make a big difference in your customer satisfaction. The overall features of the platform and continuous improvement make it more adaptable than other tools.

LO
Software Engineer
Lets me visually develop entire application, easily integrate it with existing systems

What is our primary use case?

I use OutSystems to develop web applications. OutSystems is a low-code platform that lets you visually develop your entire application, easily integrate with existing systems, and add your own custom code when you need it.

How has it helped my organization?

With OutSystems, we can build our application faster, and we have releases every two weeks.

What is most valuable?

All the features for developing web applications are valuable to me.

What needs improvement?

The integration Studio could be improved. It needs a tool in which we could develop C# code and then integrate into OutSystems. The application could have a better UI.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it a 10 out of 10.…

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

All the features for developing web applications are valuable to me.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it a 10 out of 10. It is fantastic how fast we can build an application. We have a lot of users and the community is growing.

Paulo Rossi
System Analyst with 10,001+ employees
Reduces the manual labor in compiling and deploying applications; simple to connect to multiple data sources

• "Reduces the manual labor in compiling and deploying applications and generating procedural code (by reducing development bureaucracy/processes, resulting in real gains). The LifeTime Server approach, requiring just a few steps to publish applications in production environments, is fantastic."
  • "Once built, web/mobile components can be reused in all new developments. In addition, the OutSystems Forge is very useful. We can exchange components and even already-built applications, reducing costs to build specific solutions."
  • "OutSystems does not provide any native reporting resources. All reports must be created with other tools or as a webpage."
  • "The asynchronous processing and multithreading tasks for which the current resources of the platform are very generic and not built for the end-user. Any asynchronous jobs have to be constructed with an end-user dashboard to allow inspection of the status of the activities."

What is our primary use case?

In the last months, OutSystems has become our primary development tool. Grendene is a huge producer of footwear and our development in OutSystems is supporting the construction of a large set of applications in these areas:

Factory and production-level systems (industrial apps)

There are already many applications built to provide information to our offices and for production control of factory processes, simulation, and machine setup. In addition to the already running analytics apps, we are in the process of integrating OutSystems with machines' programmable logic controllers (PLCs). We believe that OutSystems can support factory-level systems that respond quickly. Beginning with the less critical processes, we have already started to build web/mobile applications to be used on the assembly lines and loading docks in the distribution center.

Integration and ETL

There are many APIs built in OutSystems to provide process automation and information to internal and partner systems. An example is the Melissa branch website that is sustained by a third-party and the product profile is provided by OutSystems APIs. ETL architecture is also developed to synchronize data among some SQL databases and the company’s units.

Business and ERP Apps

Apps for business and ERPs are a fast-growing set of applications developed in OutSystems, accessed within the ERP portal. New developments are made in OutSystems using the ERP’s database as the information source and connections to many other specialized systems.

Corporative Apps

In addition to the above, there are many office processes, human resources, and product development/design teams that use OutSystems. Our "Careers" website was built in OutSystems with a dynamic approach that allows the human resource team to create and upload their own pages as a self-service website builder.

How has it helped my organization?

In the 21st century, innovation is not easy without IT support. With this low-code platform, we deliver more quickly and it allows innovation to occur fast. It reduces the risks associated with functional changes and these can be produced rapidly to meet deadlines.

What is most valuable?

• Easy and low-code web/mobile development: Reduces the manual labor in compiling and deploying applications and generating procedural code (by reducing development bureaucracy/processes, resulting in real gains). The LifeTime Server approach, requiring just a few steps to publish applications in production environments, is fantastic.
  • High reuse of components and business logic: Once built, web/mobile components can be reused in all new developments. In addition, the OutSystems Forge is very useful. We can exchange components and even already-built applications, reducing costs to build specific solutions.
  • Build-logic becomes simple with a graphic interface: Developers work better with visual support. In a related vein, we are currently studying if, in the near future, an OutSystems environment could be provisioned to non-technical areas to allow them to construct their own applications (supervised by IT, and with good governance and security assessments).
  • Stakeholder engagement and satisfaction: In the past, it was difficult to keep our clients (employees and partners) up to date on the development process. There were many promises of application delivery dates which were often not met. With OutSystems, we can develop and share progress and functionalities.
  • Integration: With the SOAP and REST APIs and the database connections allowing communication with different data sources, it’s simple and quick to fulfill requirements which demand resources from multiple sources. In this way, the platform provides opportunities for innovative ideas. A simple example is to check transportation costs against rotes using maps and GPS technologies to measure accurate distances.

What needs improvement?

There are some features expected in the future that may speed up some processes. But there is a lack of development resources that need implementing. For example, OutSystems does not provide any native reporting resources. All reports must be created with other tools or as a webpage.

Another issue is the asynchronous processing and multithreading tasks for which the current resources of the platform are very generic and not built for the end-user. Any asynchronous jobs have to be constructed with an end-user dashboard to allow inspection of the status of the activities.

We have basically not encountered any issues with stability. There was only one situation, when we first started using the environments, that a security policy conflicted with the installation of OutSystems or Microsoft IIS server. We had to gather a team to solve the problem by removing security baselines until we found the conflict and fixed it. At that time, it took four days to resolve this conflict. Since then, the servers have never had a single instability.

As a very scalable solution, OutSystems does not provide an already-built infrastructure of modules. Companies should follow OutSystems tips on growing their environments using the concepts of Canvas Architecture.

Canvas Architecture is a very scalable, sustainable, and feasible approach. Companies should use these layouts, but not follow it to the letter. It should be changed according to the company's strategies, depending on the kind of applications they are developing.

On the other hand, some effort should be made to regularly maintain the norms and standards of the environments. Even with good governance in software development, due to the power and agility of the platform, it is not too easy to keep track of the development team; hence, the importance of a periodic reviews and standard, documented processes.

Technical support is qualified and proactive but not very specialized. OutSystems always fixes all bug reports within the expected timeframe.

The team is very proactive. When we had that situation with the security baselines that conflicted with the platform, late at night Brazil time, I received a call from OutSystems support in Portugal right way, willing to help solve the problem. However, when it became more technical they helped only up to a certain point, and only our team could ultimately fix it.

I would give OutSystems support a six out of 10. I understand that a more specialized level of support (with software engineers) is needed sometimes when the operational team cannot resolve.

We did not use another low-code platform before, although many of the traditional development technologies were widely tested (Java, .NET/C#, OpenEdge, etc.). OutSystems was the first which provided a complete, easy, and effective platform.

We have been using OutSystems since the middle of 2016. In the implementation phase of OutSystems, we had formal training and hired a third-party (Sispro S/A) with years of experience in the technology, for consulting and to design our environment correctly.

The setup itself was straightforward. Our company chose a local installation of the platform server in virtualized machines, instead of on the cloud (there were internal reasons for this choice, such as the need for prompt responses in production systems, which are not achievable over the WAN network). The setup was very simple, however, due to our very high-security scope, some difficulties with security policies had to be overcome. I would recommend choosing the cloud platform whenever possible, as it is much simpler to start with.

OutSystems was open to a deal that worked for both sides. It’s not ethical to give more specifics about the pricing and licensing.

We evaluated many solutions in the market. Some companies in Brazil were visited with a view to finding a more agile solution for the development of applications. Among those solutions were Zoho and Tibco. However, OutSystems stood out.

What other advice do I have?

We find in OutSystems a great platform that enables extraction of data from multiple sources, and working with business logic to access essential information and produce process-automation at the highest level.

We have future projects in mind to build factory production process with this technology. New developers were recently hired to support the industrial development team and they are being progressively coached in OutSystems development, using an internal training program to reach this goal.

We rate OutSystems an eight out of 10. It is the best platform we have found. However, it’s not perfect.

In terms of advice:

• When possible, use a cloud environment option rather than a local installation.
  • Negotiate a suitable license with OutSystems, taking into account that the application objects grow quickly.
  • Hire trainers and make sure the development team sets up a proper architecture. If you choose the wrong approach or do not plan appropriate architecture, in a short time you will certainly have a very large rework.
  • It is essential to build an appropriate Canvas.
  • Sometimes, junior developers will perform better with OutSystems, since senior developers often do not adapt to the graphical structural programming. It is not a rule, but some resistance and difficulty of adaptation were noticed.
  • A good practice is to hire an expert consulting company, for a couple weeks, which already uses OutSystems. They will help your development team with basic questions, increasing the pace of learning and making it more effective.
  • OutSystems has a set of metadata and any kind of control is possible, but these structures should be practiced with the developers.
  • OutSystems Forge is a very useful place, when starting out, to download components to adapt to your needs.
  • SQL Server is a good default database option for OutSystems. We have never had a problem with it. We recommend using only a single database catalog instead of many.
  • Another suggestion is to plan an approach for the REST/SOAP APIs with more security implementations. As a default, it provides NTLM authentication or basic authentication to SOAP API and a custom strategy for REST. We have built a complete architecture with client authorization, IP control, and cryptography over the exposed services. The OutSystems User Provider module can be customized with the company’s default authentication method, however, it is quite simple to maintain the standard module and just push data into the Users and Roles tables. Otherwise, it will take some time to understand how everything works underneath.
  • Finally, perhaps the most important tip is regarding development governance. Not only for OutSystems but for all types of development, it is very important to maintain normalized and standardized environments. In a chaotic scene with no effort to have periodic reviews, a low-code platform could create a huge mess and the cost will be paid in the near future.
Manoj Ahirwar
Analyst - RAD Technical at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
One-click publishing streamlines our development process

• "I really like the one-click publish feature in OutSystems. In other development tools/languages, it's not as easy. I also like how easily I can manage all my projects in one place."
  • "I think OutSystems needs to improve in many areas. First, sometimes Service Studio becomes really slow and even hangs for long periods. Also, if I have not published my module in some time, and some kind of Service Studio exception occurs, I lose my work."

What is our primary use case?

I am using OutSystems to deliver in-house applications for developing intra-company applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Before OutSystems we used to take six to seven months to build applications. Now, using OutSystems, it just takes two to three months, max. The best part is that one or two developers can create a full application.

What is most valuable?

I really like the one-click publish feature in OutSystems. In other development tools/languages, it's not as easy. I also like how easily I can manage all my projects in one place.

What needs improvement?

I think OutSystems needs to improve in many areas. First, sometimes Service Studio becomes really slow and even hangs for long periods. Also, if I have not published my module in some time, and some kind of Service Studio exception occurs, I lose my work.

Three to five years.

What other advice do I have?

I would give it an eight out of 10 because they need to improve in many areas to make this a great platform.