PagerDuty Overview

PagerDuty is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top IT Alerting and Incident Management tools. It is most often compared to ServiceNow: PagerDuty vs ServiceNow

What is PagerDuty?

PagerDuty is an agile incident management solution that integrates with ITOps and DevOps monitoring stacks to improve operational reliability and agility. From enriching and aggregating events to correlating them into actionable alerts, PagerDuty streamlines the incident management lifecycle by reducing noise and resolution times. With hundreds of native integrations with operations tools, automated scheduling, advance reporting and guaranteed availability, PagerDuty is trusted by over 7,000 organizations globally to increase business and employee efficiency. The company is headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading venture capital firms Andreessen Horowitz, Bessemer Venture Partners, Baseline Ventures, Ignition Partners and others. To try PagerDuty for free, or to get more information, visit www.pagerduty.com.

PagerDuty Buyer's Guide

Download the PagerDuty Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

PagerDuty Customers

40% of the Fortune 100 TrustPagerDuty. Customers include: Slack, Intuit, Zendesk, Panasonic, Pinterest, Airbnb, eHarmony, McKesson, Comcast

PagerDuty Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Staff Product Manager at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Upgrades are straightforward; there are no major hassles.

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate your requirements first. Determine the number of users. What is your user base? Are you going to grow more? That's what I would decide. When I select working with vendors, I look for a more reliable solution. I want something that meets my requirements. I don't worry about the UI and stuff like that, as long as it's reliable; as long as it meets the SLAs.
Agile PLM Practice Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Streamlines our customer support process; very reliable

• "Notification is the most valuable feature."
  • "I would like to see more content in the notification messages; although, that might be a configuration on our end."

What other advice do I have?

I would say look at PagerDuty. Look around, because I didn't. But it is definitely a good option. We didn't really do any training and it was pretty well accepted. I regret not doing training. They had a booth at a recent conference. I walked up to them to specifically find out a few things and I did find out a few things that I know our team hadn’t been aware of. Do a bit of training. It has a very limited scope, but it's very good at what it does.
Learn what your peers think about PagerDuty. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Technical Client Support at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
I like that it causes fast reaction times when responding to a set alert.

What other advice do I have?

For a corporate tool – it acts as a 3rd party for a simple wake up tool. Absolutely recommend it. Escalation policies can be set up so that the alert should get someone’s attention, and all from a simple email being sent out. I like it.
Director of Information Technology at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
We use it in conjunction with other solutions so that the on call and backup get paged if something is down.
Sr Communications Analyst at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Video Review
​Whenever we have a server that goes down we get notified immediately which helps out our clients and all the developers.

What other advice do I have?

I'd probably give it a 9/10. You just have to be prepared for the early morning calls, but it does give you three ways to be notified. You don't have to worry about being missed. It will take one and go to the next and go to the next and the last one, of course, is it will call up not only your cell phone but your home phone. Good and bad but it does handle what you need it to do. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: does it handle all the needs? If it handles everything that we need it, the price is something but it's more that it actually does the job that we need it to do.
Infrastructure Systems Administrator at a printing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows us to page the next on-call person when someone doesn't respond. In the past, everyone who was on-call would be paged at once.

What other advice do I have?

We had a 30- or 60-day free trial during which we set it up and used it. Afterwards, we didn't want to get rid of it.
Lead Systems Analyst at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
With the multiple methods of notification and the escalation policies, we can always be certain that someone will get the message.
Sr. Windows Systems Administrator at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
One of the most valuable features is the ease of overriding schedules for on-call swaps.

Valuable Features

Easy to ACK Easy to read UI Custom notification Easy to override schedules for on-call swaps Easy integration with Nagios

Improvements to My Organization

It's improved our organization by making the on-call lifestyle less stressful. It also improved the response time.

Room for Improvement

Smartphone App can be flaky sometimes. Feature request: it would be nice to see an alert history by clicking on a host or some means to make it very easy to view alert history.

Use of Solution

We've used it for approximately two years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

There have been no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues scaling it.

Senior Network Analyst at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It has increased the availability of networks to users and therefore decreased operational costs​.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try. It's simple and easy. Use the apps, they are great and fun.
Technical Operations Manager with 501-1,000 employees
It allows us to reduce the knock, as in how the centralized automated workflow manages urgencies and alerts.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend to sign up to what you need, then if you need anything else you can start branching out.
Director of Product Support with 201-500 employees
We use it for alert/event routing, call scheduling and the API for billing.
On-Air IT System Specialist at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
Push notifications to mobile devices combined with the in-app ability to override the system volume allows for flexibility in managing other device notifications.

What other advice do I have?

Implement PagerDuty. Right now. Go. Are you still here?
Systems Administrator at a tech company with 51-200 employees
The customization options available make conformity to our needs possible.​

What other advice do I have?

No specific advice. The community has a lot of solid ideas for using the product during initial setup.
Director of Dev Ops at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
The notifications, and the information that comes along with them are valuable.

What other advice do I have?

It's very easy and straightforward to get implemented, and hit the ground running. As far as advice, I would ensure that you should create your services and policies to what you need, so you're not getting false alerts on issues that really aren't worth investigating. You definitely don't want to be running down false positives, and so, making sure that you are truly monitoring and being alerted on things that are important to company. Something to ensure is set up properly.
VP of Support at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
The escalation policies make it possible for managers to catch issues before missing SLA targets.

What other advice do I have?

Define your escalation policies first before rolling out. It will save time.
Download our free PagerDuty Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.