Yassia Savadogo
Cybersec Consultant at Freelance
Stable, easy to set up, and offers good visibility

• "We've found the solution offers us good stability."
  • "I'd like to see more data protection on the system."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for protection, especially web protection.

How has it helped my organization?

It's great at protecting very important aspects of our company, particularly our servers.

What is most valuable?

We enjoy the amount of visibility we have in terms of security within our infrastructure.

The initial setup is very easy.

The product scales well.

We've found the solution offers us good stability.

Technical support is helpful and responsive.

The pricing is reasonable.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved. Right now, it's an aspect that is lacking. They should make it more user-friendly. There are too many options visible right now, which makes it confusing. They need to streamline and simplify it.

I'd like to see more data protection on the system. It needs a DLP, a Data Loss Prevention, system.

We've been using the solution for just over five years. We've used it since 2015 or so.

The solution is stable and reliable. The performance is good. there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability is there if you need to expand it. It's good.

We have 100 or so users that are using Palo Alto in our organization at this time.

We do have plans to increase usage in the future. We're likely to scale it.

The technical supports has been really good so far. They respond quickly to our requests. We're quite satisfied with the level of service.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult. We found the implementation to be very easy in general. We didn't have any problems.

The product can be expensive. It's not the cheapest option on the market.

However, I do find it to be less expensive than Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer. We also work for other companies and help install the product.

The solution is perfect. I'd rate it at a ten out of ten.

Palo Alto is very affordable and very good overall. They respond quickly to our needs. Palo Alto detects a lot of cybersecurity threats, which has been great.

Aleksandar Jovanovic
System Engineer at E-smart systems
Boasts many great features that cover all markets from small businesses to large enterprises

• "Everything I could possibly want has already been implanted in the new version."
  • "It would be nice if it could easily be integrated with Elasticsearch or Nagios."

What is our primary use case?

We use the firewalls to defend our perimeter and data center.

What is most valuable?

For me personally, the support, in general, is the feature I have found most valuable.

Palo Alto boasts a lot of great features that cover all markets from small businesses to large enterprises.

It's very easy to see everything on the dashboards.

It would be nice if it could easily be integrated with Elasticsearch or Nagios for monitoring and reporting.

What needs improvement?

They should lower their prices for small businesses. They should offer subscriptions or box-sets because a lot of companies want to buy it, but they just can't afford it.

It's not that expensive necessarily; the market is just doing poorly at the moment.

Everything I could possibly want has already been implanted into the new version, including the Internet of Things, machine learning, and SD-WAN; every feature I wanted has already been integrated.

I have been using this solution for roughly eight years.

Palo Alto Networks K2-Series is very stable. I've never had a problem with Palo Alto. The only problem we experienced with it was when the fan broke down — even then, it still kept on working without the fan. No harm was done and Palo Alto replaced it very quickly.

This solution is very scalable.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It only took us a few hours. On the other hand, deployment times vary. Sometimes it takes just a few hours, and other times, due to testing, it can take months. It's not complicated, but when you have to replace something, you have to consider the amount of testing before you put it into production.

We are the integrators.

I would recommend Palo Alto. With Cisco, when you engage Firepower, the performance decreases. Next generation functions with Palo Alto are much, much better.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Palo Alto Networks K2-Series a rating of ten.

You should always choose the best version of a solution. As your company grows, you will want to work with more power and better features.

Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks K2-Series. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,089 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Hamada Elewa
System Engineer - Security Presales at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to implement and manage, and the documentation is good

• "Overall, this is a very simple and very effective firewall, and I am satisfied with it."
  • "I would like to see the threat intelligence capability integrated with other vendors such as Cisco and Forcepoint."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and the Palo Alto K2-Series is one of the network solutions that we implement for our clients.

Many of the implementations that I am part of are for the banking sector in Egypt and generally, they are not interested in cloud-based solutions. The K2-Series is well-suited for this use case.

What is most valuable?

This Palo Alto firewall is easy to manage. You just implement it and forget about it. The Panorama management tool is very easy to use.

The documentation is good.

What needs improvement?

The partner support, which is a local company, is not that good and can be improved.

I would like to see the threat intelligence capability integrated with other vendors such as Cisco and Forcepoint. This would effectively be a multi-threat intelligence solution. Along the same lines, it would be useful to share threat signatures with different vendors.

I have been working with this solution for more than 18 months.

All on-premises firewall solutions have an issue with scalability if they aren't designed correctly from day one. You have to measure with consideration for future expansion and include it in your design, otherwise, you will get stuck.

There are two categories of support. There is partner support, which in my case is a local company in Egypt. The support provided by the partner is not very good. However, when you purchase vendor support, it is very good.

I have experience with similar products from several vendors including Cisco, Juniper, Forcepoint, and Fortinet.

The initial setup is straightforward and easy to do.

Our in-house team implements this solution for our customers.

This is an expensive solution, although you will get value for the price.

What other advice do I have?

Palo Alto is the leader in next-generation firewalls. The suitability of it, however, depends on the design, throughput, and the number of sessions.

Overall, this is a very simple and very effective firewall, and I am satisfied with it.

Mina Adel
Cyber Security Engineer at Infort
Easy to implement, has a unique DNS security capability, and the technical support is good

• "Palo Alto has a unique solution for DNS security, which is very good."
  • "The URL Filtering module needs to have more categories added to it."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and the Palo Alto K2-Series is one of the products that we implement for our clients. Our clients for this work in a variety of sectors.

What is most valuable?

Palo Alto has a unique solution for DNS security, which is very good. It includes signatures for the domains and machine learning functionality. It is currently the most popular feature for our customers.

What needs improvement?

The URL Filtering module needs to have more categories added to it.

The concept of clustering would be of benefit to Palo Alto and it would make it more productive. For example, with Forcepoint, you can cluster two different products.

We have seen no issues with stability.

Scalability is good.

We are satisfied with the technical support.

I am also familiar with the next-generation firewall solution by Forcepoint.

Palo Alto is similar to other commercial firewalls but it has two unique functions. First, the engine is very sophisticated and well suited to the epicenter. It also has good performance. The second area that is unique is DNS Security.

I am familiar with Fortinet products and they are also very good, but they are cheaper than Palo Alto.

The initial setup is straightforward.

While the firewall itself is on-premises, some of the services such as DNS Security and WildFire are cloud-based options that depend on a public cloud or the Palo Alto cloud. There are also options such as Cortext XDR, which has traps that extend to the cloud.

Pricing is a sensitive issue because the cost is high in this market. If the price were reduced then it would be very good because it will be more competitive with vendors such as Fortinet. In fact, I would say that pricing is the weakest point of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

DM
Technical Advisor to COO at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Stable and scalable overall but support is worse than most competitors

• "Palo Alto firewalls are scalable enough. We have about 110 employees in our company, and we are about to expand to 130."
  • "If we have issues, they take anywhere from two days to a week to respond. I even wrote to their CEO because there was no response. When it comes to support, this is the worst company."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a telecom operator, so all of my IT and network management stuff is behind this firewall.

What needs improvement?

Palo Alto K2-Series firewalls could use some technical improvements, like main and standby, as well as FTU and STU support. In addition, they should upgrade the CPU, and there are so many other things that I cannot think of off the top of my head.

I've been using Palo Alto firewalls for two years.

Product-wise, it's stable, but it takes too long to switch between main and standby — maybe 10 to 12 seconds — and sometimes my traffic cuts out, yes. Also, the CPU processing power is not so good.

Palo Alto firewalls are scalable enough. We have about 110 employees in our company, and we are about to expand to 130.

Most firewall companies offer similar products, like Fortinet, etc., but Palo Alto support is not as good as its competitors. Palo Alto is almost zero. If we have issues, they take anywhere from two days to a week to respond. I even wrote to their CEO because there was no response. When it comes to support, this is the worst company.

We have no idea how complicated the setup is. An agent from Palo Alto did all that and then conducted some training. And if we need something, we have to call the agent.

The price is high, but we've already purchased these two boxes, so we have to continue using them for some time. Unfortunately, the salesperson we worked with isn't a Diamond-level agent, so he couldn't give us good discounts. But maybe a lower price is possible.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Palo Alto K2-Series Firewall six out of 10.

JK
Hardware Engineer with 51-200 employees
A reliable component of our security solution that is easy to set up

• "This is a very reliable firewall and we have never had problems with it."
  • "The technical support, and how they provide it to the client, needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I am a network security engineer and this is one of the products that make up our security solution. We implement this product for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is security.

What needs improvement?

The technical support, and how they provide it to the client, needs to be improved. They take too long to provide answers.

I would like to have a statistical report that shows the number of times that each rule is used.

I have been working with the Palo Alto K2 series for about three years.

This is a very reliable firewall and we have never had problems with it.

This firewall is scalable. Our clients vary in size. They are small and medium-sized businesses, as well as enterprises.

I deal with a number of different firewalls including solutions by Cisco, Check Point, and Palo Alto.

This is an easy firewall to set up, although the length of time required to deploy depends on a number of variables. For example, a complex environment will be more complex and take longer to configure. This type of setup could take a week but a simpler one could take a day or two.

We have an in-house team for deployment. I can do it by myself, or I can ask my colleagues because several of them can do it as well.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a very good firewall and I would recommend it. With respect to security, it is a perfect solution.

YW
Senior Systems Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Beneficial central management, useful updates, and reliable

• "The most valuable feature of Palo Alto Networks K2-Series is its management abilities. Additionally, the updates are very good."
  • "We had some issues with upgrading in the past. They could make the process easier."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Palo Alto Networks K2-Series as a perimeter firewall.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Palo Alto Networks K2-Series is its management abilities. Additionally, the updates are very good.

What needs improvement?

Palo Alto Networks K2-Series has improved their central management but if they could improve upon it more that would be a great benefit.

I have been using Palo Alto Networks K2-Series for approximately 12 years.

The solution is very stable, we have had no issues.

We had some scalability issues with Palo Alto Networks K2-Series. I do not know how good the hardware firewalls are, but the cloud platform is scalable.

When we had some minor issues we were in contact with the technical support and they were very good. We have not used the support often.

The initial setup was easy.

When comparing Palo Alto Networks K2-Series with other solutions it is on the higher end of the price scale.

This solution is best suited for small to medium-sized businesses.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Palo Alto Networks K2-Series a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
AS
CSD Manager at BTC
Reseller
Good virtualization features, antivirus, and technical support

• "The most valuable features are the virtualization of the firewall and the antivirus."
  • "The ease of management and configuration should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the firewalls that we provide to our customers.

The majority of our customers for Palo Alto products are in the banking industry.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The ease of management and configuration should be improved.

The price of the K2 series could be lower.

I have been familiar with the Palo Alto K2 series for three years.

This is a stable firewall.

The scalability is very good.

The technical support is good.

We work with multiple vendors including Fortinet, Cisco, Juniper, and Palo Alto.

The initial setup is straightforward but when you have a more advanced configuration, it is more difficult. For example, configuring policies can be complex.

This solution is expensive compared to other, similar products.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to ensure that they have the policies correct.

Overall, this is a very good product that is doing well in the market here.