Palo Alto Networks K2-Series OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Palo Alto Networks K2-Series?

Designed to handle growing throughput needs due to increasing amounts of application-, user-, and device-generated data, the K2-Series offers amazing performance and threat prevention capabilities to stop advanced cyberattacks and secure mobile network infrastructure, subscribers, and services.

Palo Alto Networks K2-Series Buyer's Guide

Download the Palo Alto Networks K2-Series Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Palo Alto Networks K2-Series Customers
State of North Dakota, SEGA, Alameda County Office of Education, Temple University, VERGE, CAME
Palo Alto Networks K2-Series Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Palo Alto Networks K2-Series pricing:
  • "Products by the leader in the field are justifiably a bit more expensive compared to other vendors."
  • "Palo Alto firewalls are very expensive."
  • "It would be nice if they lowered their prices for small businesses."

Maaz Khan
Network Security & Virtualization at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
IPS system is the strongest you can get and it has good decryption

What is our primary use case?

The primary use for this solution depends on the preference of a customer and to some extent their existing environment. We have to establish things like: * what are the business requirements * how we can utilize what is existing or if the client needs to upgrade equipment * what kind of servers do we put in * what kind of servers does he have on cloud * what kind of servers do we have on-premises So it all depends on the customer's requirements. If a query comes up with a client, I am happy to answer that and provide a resolution but the situation needs to consider specific needs.

• "The IPS system is the best in the field."
  • "Higher levels of support are excellent but new users may need additional options."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would give Palo Alto a rating of nine-out-of-ten. I would not give the product a ten and it is not really because there are additional features can be included to make it a perfect ten. Nobody is perfect. Based on smaller support issues is not really something I can rate a product on. Based on their performance in being a leader of these technologies and the leaders and the inventors of next-generation firewalls — based on that, I am giving them a nine. They have better processing which Palo Alto is the only one doing…
SI
Security Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Clear visibility with good integrations; additional dedicated reporting would be useful

What is our primary use case?

Until recently, most of my time was spent implementing this product and our company still does that. As a security solutions architect, I'm now more focused on the architecture and that side of things. We're partners with Palo Alto.

• "Simple integrations with the domain controllers and other inventories"
  • "Palo Alto doesn't have extended visibility to the end point in their firewalls."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product. I would suggest people think about the design, the architecture, what they have and the applications. If they have a different kind of firewall, if they have an internet firewall, they can use the Palo Alto tool. Or they can use something else depending on what they have on their network. I recommend Palo Alto because it's a platform as well as a firewall and it has a lot of features. I would suggest testing the features and trying to get all the benefits of all the functions in the box. I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.
Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks K2-Series. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PF
IT Specialist at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable, easy to use, and offers strong security feaures

What is our primary use case?

The solution was a firewall that bridged the internal systems with their DMC equipment and/or restricted systems access that wasn't generally available to anyone outside of the organization.

• "Palo Alto has better and finer controls than, say, Cisco or Check Point."
  • "The solution needs a series of OS changes."

What other advice do I have?

I'd advise companies considering setting up the solution to make sure they have a trained team. If the team doesn't have any expertise with this type of firewall, then they've got to take some training. The training's pretty good and once you understand the concepts, it's pretty quick to put together. At the time we implemented it, it was easier than Check Point and the Check Point had a lot of similar capabilities. It also offered finer filtering on what was going to be allowed through various parts of the firewall ports. I'd rate the solution ten out of ten due to its reliability and ease…
JP
Data Center - Assistant Group Manager (Information Security) at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Excellent support, and easy initial setup and great features

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a next-generation firewall.

• "The company is inventive and always adds a lot of great features."
  • "When it comes to renewing the solution, they tend to try to jack up the pricing."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. From a technical support perspective, I'd easily rate them nine out of ten. If they didn't try to price gouge on renewals, I'd likely rate them higher. Due to their pricing strategy, especially around renewals, I would not recommend them. We have 20+ firewalls, and we feel the heat when it comes time to renew the solution.
MR
System Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Offers more control over the security of your network since it gives a Layer 7 approach view unlike the built traditional firewalls that focuses on layer 4

• "Palo Alto has an approach that makes the configuration easier not only for the customers but also for the IT help for the customers."
  • "They should implement the features that the other firewalls have."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering this solution would be that it's okay to spend a bit higher on your security products because Palo Alto is a bit more expensive than other products, but it is definitely worth it. The granularity of Palo Alto gives you more control over the security of your network. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
HA
Security Technical Lead at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Easy to manage with a web-based interface, and the WildFire option is helpful

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this Palo Alto K2-Series is one of the firewall products that we implement for our customers.

• "This firewall is very good for our customers because they don't have to write their own rules for adding an application."
  • "The reporting functionality in GlobalProtect needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Yassia Savadogo
Cybersec Consultant at Freelance
Stable, easy to set up, and offers good visibility

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for protection, especially web protection.

• "We've found the solution offers us good stability."
  • "I'd like to see more data protection on the system."

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer. We also work for other companies and help install the product. The solution is perfect. I'd rate it at a ten out of ten. Palo Alto is very affordable and very good overall. They respond quickly to our needs. Palo Alto detects a lot of cybersecurity threats, which has been great.
Aleksandar Jovanovic
System Engineer at E-smart systems
Boasts many great features that cover all markets from small businesses to large enterprises

What is our primary use case?

We use the firewalls to defend our perimeter and data center.

• "Everything I could possibly want has already been implanted in the new version."
  • "It would be nice if it could easily be integrated with Elasticsearch or Nagios."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Palo Alto Networks K2-Series a rating of ten. You should always choose the best version of a solution. As your company grows, you will want to work with more power and better features.
See 6 more Palo Alto Networks K2-Series Reviews