Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls Overview

Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls is the #8 ranked solution in our list of best firewalls. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls vs Fortinet FortiGate

What is Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls?

Palo Alto Networks' next-generation firewalls secure your business with a prevention-focused architecture and integrated innovations that are easy to deploy and use. Now, you can accelerate growth and eliminate risks at the same time.

Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls is also known as Palo Alto NGFW, Palo Alto Networks Next-Generation Firewall, Palo Alto Networks PA-Series.

Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls Buyer's Guide

Download the Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls Customers

SkiStar AB, Ada County, Global IT Services PSF, Southern Cross Hospitals, Verge Health, University of Portsmouth, Austrian Airlines, The Heinz Endowments

Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls pricing:
  • "The product is expensive compared to competing products but uses a similar type of pricing model based on hardware, software and maintenance."
  • "It is an expensive solution."

AB
Solutions Architect at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
The product stability and level of security are second to none in the industry

What is our primary use case?

We use both the NG and VM series of Palo Alto firewalls. We sell and install them for clients to provide the best security that money can buy. Additionally, adding SD WAN on the same edge device has made an all-in-one, security-edge-intelligent routing solution possible without sacrificing performance or a secure environment.

• "This is arguably the best security protection that you can buy."
  • "The only real drawback to this product is that it is expensive. But you get what you pay for and there is no way to put a price on top-notch security."

What other advice do I have?

Palo Alto is my number one choice for firewalls. I support and utilize more Palo Alto firewalls throughout my company and with my customers than any other device. Number two would be Fortinet. I don't really like Fortinet that that much because it is not as secure as Palo Alto, but I have customers who want to use it because it is a lot less expensive. Number three is Cisco Meraki, which I obviously don't like, but people request that because the Cisco name is very popular and a lot of other people are using it. I couldn't recommend against choosing a device more than choosing it by name…
Georges Samaha
Security Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Good application detection, strong antivirus capabilities and built-in machine learning

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall.

• "From my experience, comparing it to other products, the granularity you can have in the application is very good. The application detection is excellent. It's certainly one of the best."
  • "The solution would benefit from having a dashboard."

What other advice do I have?

In general, I prefer hardware, and Palo Alto's is quite good. However, we have a couple of virtual deployments for cases as well. I would definitely recommend the solution. It's one of the best firewalls on the market. I've worked with four different vendors in the past, and some of the most mature NG firewalls are Palo Alto's. It's their main business, so they are able to really focus on the tech. They spend a lot of time on R&D. They're always leading the way with new technologies. While Cisco has more main products, Palo Alto really does focus in on NG firewalls. That's why I always see…
Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MG
President at MT-Data
Awesome stability, great firewall capabilities, and a rather straightforward initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the firewalls. We're also using the next-gen features to shape what's going on. For example, to figure out what is allowed out and what isn't allowed out on a layer-7 application-aware firewall. We can block based on the application, as opposed to port access.

• "The solution allows us to set parameters on where our users can go. We can block certain sites or ads if we want to."
  • "We're working with the entry-level appliances, so I don't know what the higher-end ones are like, however, on the entry-level models I would say commit speeds need to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not really a customer. I'm like a consultant. I'm an introduction expert. If I think a client needs a certain technology I point them in the direction of whoever sells it. I do go in and configure it, so I do have experience actually using the product. When I'm looking for something, I just find someone that sells Palo Alto and I redirect the client towards them. I'm not interested in being in a hardware vendor. There's no money in it. There's so much competition out there with people selling hardware. It doesn't matter where the client gets it from. We tend to use the 200-series models of…
TM
Sr. Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Reliable with a straightforward setup and good security features

What is our primary use case?

The solution is typically used for antivirus and antimalware purposes, to help protect an organization against attacks.

• "It's one of the best products I've worked with. It's typically a market leader on Gartner. It's a very respected brand."
  • "The pricing of the solution is quite high. It's one of the most expensive firewall solutions on the market."

What other advice do I have?

We have a partnership with Palo Alto. I am in pre-sales and often do POCs or do some aspect of evaluating the solution for clients to help them understand the usefulness. Overall, I really do prefer Palo Alto to other options. I'm the most comfortable with it and I understand it the best out of other solutions such as Juniper or Fortinet. I'd suggest organizations consider the solution. Yes, it is quite expensive. However, it is also very reliable and is always marked highly in Gartner due to its feature set and usability. It's easy to configure and it's very easy to add more features into…
SZ
Team Lead Network Infrastructure at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Stable with good performance and a fairly straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be used in the data center it can be used as perimeter firewalls and gateways as well. It can be used anywhere. From the systems side, the data center side, or I typically recommend that it be deployed in a VM, as it may be able to see the internet traffic and specifically it would basically look into the details of a virtualized environment as well.

• "It's a next-generation firewall and it's pretty stable. You don't have to worry about if you restart it for some maintenance. It will just come back."
  • "Sometimes some of the applications the customer has do not respond as they normally should."

What other advice do I have?

I'm an integrator. I work with many clients. My clients use both the cloud and on-premises deployment models. I would recommend the solution to other organizations. Overall, I would rate it at a nine out of ten.
JJ
Solutions Architect at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Reseller
A good solution with great stability and very good Policy Optimizer feature

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use it for perimeter protection between the internet and the local network. We are using it for application control. We exploit the applications with some policies about how the network traffic is going to be from the local LAN to the external network and vice versa. We are protecting our network from outsiders and stopping them from getting into the network.

• "I love the Policy Optimizer feature. I am also completely happy with its stability."
  • "Its reporting can definitely be improved. I would like to have better graphical dashboards and more widgets for more clarity in the reporting area. In a third-generation firewall, you can generate some dashboards. It provides the information that we need, but from the C-level or a higher-level perspective, it is kind of rough and incomplete. Its data loss prevention (DLP) feature is not good enough. Currently, this feature is very basic and not suitable for enterprises. It would be nice if they can include a better DLP feature like Fortinet. We would like to have a local depot of Palo Alto in Latin America. Competitors such as Cisco and Check Point have a local depot here. If there is an issue with their hardware, you can go to the depot, and in about four hours, you can get a replacement device, but that's not the case with Palo Alto Networks because we need to import from Miami. It takes about two to three weeks."

What other advice do I have?

First of all, I would say that the engineer who is going to deploy the solution has to know how the network policy is going to be introduced into the firewall. It is very important for deployment because it is a new concept that Palo Alto introduced in the market. The second thing is to know the policies, not on the layer-4 basis, but in terms of policies, such as SMB, DSTP, and other such things. I would rate Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls a nine out of ten.
Khawaja AhsanZia
Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Ability to log each and every application provides valuable control

What is our primary use case?

I'm a network security engineer and we are platinum partners with Palo Alto.

• "Ability to log each and every application."
  • "With new features and applications you get bugs."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
JH
Technology Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy for clients to connect to their information

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for the perimeter connection of our clients in the network. Our client brings their services to their clients, and they have the option to connect to a webpage. With Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls they can safely provide a username and password to their clients. It is mainly on-premise, because the majority of the clients at this point want that kind of option. But many of them are already asking for the cloud option, like Prisma, for example.

• "They have a good system operator in the firewalls and it provides many tools that they can use to protect their networks."
  • "Maybe they could add some tools and more competing services, like servers, but that would increase the cost of the solution."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls a nine. I would recommend this product to others. In terms of what advice I would give to future customers looking into implementing Palo Alto Firewalls, I would tell them that they have a good system operator in the firewalls and that it provides many tools that they can use to protect their networks. You don't find that in the other vendors.
See 52 more Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls Reviews
Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.