ML
Chief Cloud Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Operate more efficiently with fewer errors in security measures

• "Palo Alto technical support is excellent."
  • "The compliance features are very effective at identifying things that need to be properly hardened."
  • "Networks Panorama has improved our organizational security"
  • "This would be a better solution if it were more tightly integrated with the firewalls."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it to manage the configuration of the firewall to validate that the environment is properly hardened (i.e., vulnerabilities are minimized).

How has it helped my organization?

Networks Panorama has improved our organization by allowing us to operate more efficiently and make sure that fewer errors are made in our security setup and choices.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature in my opinion is the compliance capabilities that help us meet defined requirements. These features are very effective at identifying things that need to be properly hardened.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see Networks Panorama more integrated into the firewall solutions rather than being a separate component. This would be helpful so that we can do rule-based change management for the firewall through it as well.

I have been using Palo Alto Networks Panorama for about nine months.

I think that Networks Panorama has been a very stable solution.

I have not had any issues in working with the scalability of the product. We have about five users who are primarily IP security that work directly with the product. The number of users is not a problem. The scalability obviously has to do with applying the product to the architecture.

My experience with Palo Alto technical support has been excellent.

The installation and setup are very straightforward.

The pricing model is reasonable for this class of solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Implementing Palo Alto Panorama is something I would strongly recommend for people who are considering it that have a need for this kind of security solution. It makes your life a lot easier in building a robust security response.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this product overall as a nine-out-of-ten. If they fix the integration, that would bring it up pretty much right to a ten-of-ten at least for now.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Darshil Sanghvi
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Can be used for centralized management but has a complex initial setup

• "One valuable feature is centralized management. We are able to manage it centrally for two to three remote offices, our head office and our data centers. So, it is very simple to manage."
  • "The initial setup requires expertise and can be a bit complex."

What is our primary use case?

We have five to six firewalls, and we manage those firewalls with Palo Alto Networks Panorama.

What is most valuable?

One valuable feature is centralized management. We are able to manage it centrally for two to three remote offices, our head office and our data centers. So, it is very simple to manage.

The second valuable feature is that it stores a lot of the logs. When we require it, we can get the dump, and we can get the logs.

What needs improvement?

Palo Alto must provide a cloud-based feature or solution.

The initial setup requires expertise and can be a bit complex.

I would like to see the management be a bit more simple than it is currently.

I've been using this solution for around two and a half years.

I find Panorama to be a stable solution.

As for scalability, I tried to add on a Prisma Access plugin, and it was able to take the load.

There are five firewalls behind Panorama, and there are 200-300 users behind these five firewalls.

We have made calls to and raised issues with technical support, and they have been responsive.

The initial setup is a bit complex and requires expertise. Configuring a firewall is a bit easier than configuring multiple firewalls at a time through Panorama. To create device groups and templates, and to manage everything is a bit difficult the first time.

We have a yearly license. The cost is not that high and not that cheap either.

What other advice do I have?

If you have multiple firewalls, like around 10 to 15 firewalls, then you should go for Palo Alto Networks Panorama. If you do not have more than 10 firewalls, I would not recommend that you go with it.

If I were to rate it on a scale from one to ten, I would rate Palo Alto Networks Panorama at seven.

Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks Panorama. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MS
Senior Network & Security Administrator at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to set up, good support, and allows us to create shared profiles for all gateways

• "It has shared profiles for all gateways. If I do not have Panorama, I need to create a separate profile for each and every gateway by logging into that particular gateway, but with Panorama, I can create a shared profile and just push it down to each and every gateway connected to it."
  • "In our version, there is no feature to transfer or upload a database of third-party vulnerabilities or signatures so that Panorama can convert them into its own database. This kind of feature might already have come in version 10."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to have a centralized console for gateways.

What is most valuable?

It has shared profiles for all gateways. If I do not have Panorama, I need to create a separate profile for each and every gateway by logging into that particular gateway, but with Panorama, I can create a shared profile and just push it down to each and every gateway connected to it.

What needs improvement?

In our version, there is no feature to transfer or upload a database of third-party vulnerabilities or signatures so that Panorama can convert them into its own database. This kind of feature might already have come in version 10.

I have been using this solution for around four years.

As of now, I am not seeing any limitation in terms of technicality, deployment, and functionality. In terms of licensing, depending on the number of gateways or serial numbers, I need to purchase the license, which is not really a limitation.

They are good. Whenever there are some issues or bugs and we are not able to trace them out, we reach out to them. They provide the required support.

It was straightforward. The gateway integration with Panorama was also a pretty straightforward configuration for us.

We deployed it site-wise. For each HAPS, it took us around two hours to take an existing production gateway behind Panorama.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It is a good solution. If any environment has multiple gateways, such as 50 or 100 gateways, it is good to have Panorama. If you have only one or two gateways of Palo Alto, you can easily manage them individually without having Panorama.

I would rate Palo Alto Networks Panorama a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
MH
Senior Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Manage devices centrally, reliable, and good technical support

• "The most valuable aspect of this solution is the ability to manage our devices centrally. Additionally, we can monitor the workforce connections, receive reports, and use the backup feature."

What is our primary use case?

We have firewalls in different locations and we want to manage them centrally to see all the information available. The best way to do this is by using this solution, we are able to monitor, manage, and have visibility of the networks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of this solution is the ability to manage our devices centrally. Additionally, we can monitor the workforce connections, receive reports, and use the backup feature.

What needs improvement?

There are times when we are backing up a device centrally, we do not get a full backup. We are able to do a full backup of all the devices but when we attempt to backup a single device, it only does the backup of a few presets and not the full configuration.

In the future, they could improve by providing better management of the devices, such as bandwidth.

I have been using the solution within the last 12 months.

The stability is good.

The solution is scalable. You are able to go through this solution and download from the internet upgrades to push them to the certain devices that need it.

The technical support is good. I receive a resolution from the technical support whenever I have dealt with them.

We sometimes have difficulty with the deployment configuration.

The solution requires a license and the price is higher than competitors. It would be better for them to decrease the price or maximize the discount.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others if you have multiple sites and you want to manage them centrally.

I rate Palo Alto Networks Panorama a nine out of ten.

LT
    Security Manager at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to use and the threat analysis functionality works well

• "The most valuable feature is the Threat Intelligence."
    • "I would like to have better analytics."

What is our primary use case?

This product is part of our overall security solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Threat Intelligence.

It is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have better analytics.

The network traffic analysis (NTA) is something that you can add on to get more insight from the traffic passing through the firewall, and it should be included.

We have been working with Panorama for at least five to six years.

Palo Alto Panorama is a stable product.

We did not have any challenges with respect to scalability.

Our team has managed properly so we have not often needed to contact technical support. I would say that they are okay, as we have not had any problems with them.

We are currently using several different firewalls. There is Check Point, Fortinet, Juniper, and Palo Alto. Check Point was the first one that we used.

The initial setup is straightforward and it took a couple of weeks to deploy.

Our in-house team handled the deployment and is responsible for maintenance.

Palo Alto is expensive and there are many cheaper firewalls, but they do not work as well.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is looking at this solution is that it is easy and straightforward to use, although more difficult than some to deploy. It is expensive but if you can afford it, then it's worth it.

SU
    Manager - Projects & Programs at BhaktiVedanta Hospital
    Easy to set up with a nice user interface and good technical support

• "The installation process is very simple."
    • "The configuration could be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product for security purposes.

What is most valuable?

Security is the most valuable aspect of this solution. We find that the security level is very high.

The user interface is very good. it's easy to navigate and very user-friendly.

The installation process is very simple.

The product is scalable.

The stability has been good.

We have found the technical support to be very helpful.

What needs improvement?

The configuration could be a bit better. For us, it's a critical aspect. We've noticed Cisco may be better in this regard.

We only recently upgraded the solution within the last six months.

The stability of Palo Alto is good. We don't have issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

We have found the solution to be scalable. Users can expand it if they need to.

Technical support from Palo Alto has been very good. We are quite satisfied with the service we receive.

The installation process is not overly complex or difficult. It's very easy and quite straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with it.

We've looked at Cisco and noted that configurations seem to be easier using that product as opposed to Palo Alto. That said, Palo Alto is okay and still manageable.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users.

I would rate the solution at a ten out of ten. We have been quite pleased with its capabilities.

At this time, I would definitely recommend the solution to other companies and organizations.

RR
    Founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Reseller
    Intuitive, useful workflow automation, and helpful technical support

• "The telemetry visibility is really good as well as the automated workflows for creating policies. The overall solution is quite intuitive to use."
    • "The solution could improve by having a true single pane of glass environment for unified management. At the present time, you still have to use three or four different solutions to bring everything together."

What is our primary use case?

We have a managed services offering, which we give to our clients where we can monitor the different database applications and environments on their behalf. We bundle a service between Palo Alto Panorama and Palo Alto BMCDs, as a set of security controls for them.

What is most valuable?

The telemetry visibility is really good as well as the automated workflows for creating policies. The overall solution is quite intuitive to use.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Palo Alto Networks Panorama for approximately two years.

We have not had any major bugs. However, there have been unexpected restarts and a memory leak a while ago, but nothing that the vendor did not fix in a few days.

The solution is easy to scale.

We have approximately 50 people using the solution in my organization.

The support was able to help us with the issues we were having. They are very good.

The initial setup is somewhat straightforward, you most likely will need assistants.

You will need managed services or an IT professional to do the implementation.

The solution is expensive and could be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

When implementing Palo Alto Networks Panorama with solutions you might require professional services.

I rate Palo Alto Networks Panorama a nine out of ten.

TM
    Engineering infrastructure manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    It has useful threat prevention and security features and good stability with right configuration

• "The threat prevention and layer seven security features were the most used and important for us. All operations are quite good in this solution."
    • "We found a vulnerability where when we have a low flow, like 2.7K, it is not getting fired by the threat prevention. That's something important to improve on. They should have a proxy or some solution to solve the issue. We also found some issues around decrypting the flow. When we have more flow than expected to decrypt, the performance goes down."

What is our primary use case?

We used Panorama to control all the other modules from Palo Alto and to create the rules.

What is most valuable?

The threat prevention and layer seven security features were the most used and important for us. All operations are quite good in this solution.

What needs improvement?

We found a vulnerability where when we have a low flow, like 2.7K, it is not getting fired by the threat prevention. That's something important to improve on. They should have a proxy or some solution to solve the issue.

We also found some issues around decrypting the flow. When we have more flow than expected to decrypt, the performance goes down.

I have used this solution for one year.

Its stability is fine. It supports the only point used here to decrypt the flows. When we have the right configuration, it has good stability.

We didn't scale up the solution because it requires a load balancer, which is not there. We have around 40,000 users.

They should have a local technical team. I would rate them a seven out of ten.

It wasn't easy, but it also wasn't very difficult. I would say it was medium. The deployment took around three months.

What other advice do I have?

In order to have the right security level, you need to understand how decryption works or is used in Palo Alto. We had to clarify some points with them related to how decryption works.

I would rate Palo Alto Networks Panorama an eight out of ten.