Palo Alto Networks Panorama OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Palo Alto Networks Panorama is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Firewall Security Management tools. It is most often compared to AWS Firewall Manager: Palo Alto Networks Panorama vs AWS Firewall Manager

What is Palo Alto Networks Panorama?

Panorama network security management provides static rules and dynamic security updates in an ever-changing threat landscape. Reduce administrator workload and improve your overall security posture with a single rule base for firewall, threat prevention, URL filtering, application awareness, user identification, file blocking and data filtering.

Palo Alto Networks Panorama Buyer's Guide

Download the Palo Alto Networks Panorama Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Palo Alto Networks Panorama Customers

University of Arkansas, JBG SMITH, Temple University, Telkom Indonesia

Palo Alto Networks Panorama Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Palo Alto Networks Panorama pricing:
  • "You can buy the hardware only and each box is not even $10,000. It's only $8,000 for the unit itself. However, then you are charged a three-year license at $81,000."
  • "The price of the licenses could be lower. Still, because we have Panorama with 25 firewalls, Palo Alto gives us a good discount."
  • "We're a reseller, and we're an MSSP. So, we get some extreme discounts."
  • "Its cost is quite high."
  • "The solution is priced well and there is a license for this solution that we pay annually for."

Palo Alto Networks Panorama Reviews

JamesJiang
IT Security Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
Easy to manage with a straightforward initial setup and good stability

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for segregation. We also use it as a gateway in order to do URL filtering on the DNI as a security measure. We use the product's global protective VPN as well.

• "The product can scale."
  • "The solution is extremely expensive. You can integrate it with other Palo Alto products, however, it ends up being too much."

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer. I'm using the latest version of the solution. I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.
Lead Program Manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Flexible, scalable and very user friendly

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for automation purposes and for security.

• "You don't need an overly experienced workforce to handle Palo Alto. It's very easy to use."
  • "They need to do less bug-related releases and create versions that are stable for at least six months at a time. I don't find this issue in other solutions like Cisco, Check Point, FortiGate, or others. Those just provide a patch if there is a bug and we don't have to worry about downtime."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company. We have multiple variants of the solution's model. Currently, we are using 8.1.15-H. We also have some virtual firewalls that are recently in Tokyo. We are using close to around 800+ Palo Alto firewalls. We're currently developing our virtual firewalls and have them in different locations. It is not just Palo Alto. We have other devices as well, so we have close to around 1300 plus firewall devices. I would recommend the solution to others. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If you need a perimeter type of…
Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks Panorama. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,244 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SM
Network Security Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
When combined with WildFire, it's highly secure

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution because it provides us with a consistent security profile no matter the location. Regardless of users, we use the same configuration. We also use Panorama for management. Currently, all of our users are working from home — this solution has helped us manage everything. Over the next four years, we are planning on moving all of our data centers onto the cloud.

• "Compared to all of the other firewall vendors, Palo Alto is very secure."
  • "The initial setup can be complex."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Panorama to others. Compared to all of the other firewall vendors, Palo Alto is very secure. Personally, I'd say it's the best firewall vendor on the market. When combined with WildFire, it's highly secure; just make sure you configure it properly as there are a lot of viruses out there. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Panorama a rating of nine.
TC
Cyber Ambassador at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Easy to use, updated regularly, and helpful for managing multiple environments, firewalls, and locations

What is our primary use case?

We use it internally to manage the solutions that we provide to our customers. So, we use it to manage our own firewalls and Prisma Access. We also use it to manage managed firewalls. We can also resell it, but we don't tend to do too many panoramas. We are using version 10.0.7, which is the latest one under version 10. We're not running 10.1 yet. We don't need to run that.

• "The entire ease of use is most valuable. If you're managing firewalls locally with PAN-OS, the look and feel of Panorama is the same. So, you don't have to relearn another product. If you're used to managing firewalls from Palo Alto, you can easily use Panorama to manage them. It looks and feels the same."
  • "Reporting might be an area to improve. It can provide reporting or some sort of graphical representation of your environment."

What other advice do I have?

It is easy if you're used to managing firewalls. Using Panorama to manage the firewalls is not rocket science. It is just another GUI or web UI. Palo Alto is really good at innovation, adding new functions and features, and rolling those out on a regular basis. So, they're going in the right direction. As long as that keeps happening, they are good. They should just keep adding and improving. I would rate Palo Alto Networks Panorama a nine out of 10.
RD
Director, Compliance and Risk Management at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Sophisticated and robust prevention that is relatively easy to setup even in complex environments

What is our primary use case?

My obligations consist of overseeing cyber threat intelligence, threat defense operation, digital forensic incident response, and data loss prevention. So in the context of endpoint solutions, my position pertains mainly to the DLP (data loss prevention) function. Cisco AMP (Advanced Malware Protection) plays a significant role in our perimeter strategy for protecting the infrastructure. I work primarily with making sure that we have indicators of compromise in Cisco AMP. I am not on the network engineering or network operations side of things. I am mainly a consumer of services from those… more »

• "The product features allow the capacity to take effective, advanced security measures."
  • "The product could use some method of allowing for more customization and open integration with other controls."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering Networks Panorama is to thoroughly research the competitive landscape. Do your Gartner research. Make sure you develop a set of requirements — a feature matrix that you can use to compare your requirements with the functionality offered by the various solutions under consideration. There are a lot of solutions out there and the goal would be to pick the one that best fits your situation rather than just one that someone recommends. On a scale of one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this product as an eight-of-ten considering the…
EL
Security Solution Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to deploy and manage devices, quite stable, but is expensive and not user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

I worked for a system integrator, and some of our clients asked us to manage their firewalls. They have a large number of sites all around the world. One of them has got 25 sites, and the other one has got 13 sites. So, we deployed Panorama in our DataCenter, and we managed the gateway for our customers with Panorama.

• "The management and the deployment features are most valuable. We can easily deploy and manage the devices. We can do fast deployments without moving from our office and by just providing a short description to the end-user about how to install the physical device."
  • "It is very hard to understand the platform. It is not easy and user-friendly. You need a lot of experience to use Panorama. It is very complex, and you must know exactly what to do. I would like to have a more user-friendly product. FortiManager is comparatively very easy to use. It would be good if Panorama improves in terms of user-friendliness. It is also harder to use than Palo Alto Firewalls."

What other advice do I have?

We have used it in the past for logging and reporting, but now we have another third-party product to manage the logs. I would recommend Panorama for managing a large-sized or medium-sized network. To manage a center with a lot of devices or cloud services, Panorama is useful. I would rate Palo Alto Networks Panorama a seven out of 10.
Swapnil Talegaonkar
Technology consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Superior firewall management, plenty of features, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to manage our two perimeter devices. We have two firewall setups; one perimeter and one internal firewall and we have two different Panorama for managing both set of firewall.

• "The most valuable features of this solution are that it works better than a normal firewall, easy to explorer all of its features, and it has the Log Collector mode. This mode allows us to store our logs for two years in the solution itself."
  • "There is a need to improve the upgrade process. When we are upgrading the solution we are facing some issues with Elasticsearch services. Every time we upgrade it takes a long time to become stable."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise those wanting to implement this solution that is pretty straightforward, and Palo Alto has written very detailed documentation on their website. If you go through that it is very easy to deploy. You will not run into any issues if you follow the documentation. I recommend this solution to others. I rate Palo Alto Networks Panorama a nine out of ten.
AS
Network Implementation Engineer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Great centralized management, easy to set up, and scales well

What is our primary use case?

Panorama is one centralized management server through which all our devices are protected. It's a security management tool.

• "The solution, especially the latest versions, is very stable."
  • "The customer support needs to be better."

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been very happy with its capabilities.
See 24 more Palo Alto Networks Panorama Reviews