Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention is the #9 ranked solution in our list of top Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software. It is most often compared to Darktrace: Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention vs Darktrace

What is Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention?

Threats do not discriminate between application delivery vectors, requiring an approach that has full visibility into all application traffic, including SSL encrypted content, with full user context. Threat Prevention leverages the visibility of our next-generation firewall to inspect all traffic, automatically preventing known threats, regardless of port, protocol or SSL encryption.

Download the Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention Customers

University of Arkansas, JBG SMITH, SkiStar AB, TRI-AD, Temple University, Telkom Indonesia

Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention pricing:
  • "The pricing has improved with the newer generation of their Firewalls, but the price could always be lower."
  • "The pricing could be lower."

Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention Reviews

RS
Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Easy to configure and easy to operate with great stability

• "For those who want a next-gen firewall that's easy to configure and easy to operate, I think you should go for Palo Alto."
  • "The documentation needs to be improved. I need better information about how to configure it and what the best practices are."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to have as a gateway.

What is most valuable?

The dimensions is one of the most valuable features. WildFire is the sandbox solution from Palo Alto. No other sandbox solution can match WildFire.

What needs improvement?

The documentation needs to be improved. I need better information about how to configure it and what the best practices are.

We have been using Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention for a year.

I don't have any stability problems with Palo Alto. Palo Alto is one of the greatest products in terms of stability. Compared to other solutions, Palo Alto is the most stable.

I think it's very scalable, but in terms of the firewall, you need to define first where the firewall is located. You can deploy it anywhere, but it really depends on the environment of the customer.

The initial setup was not so complex but not so simple. It depends on the requirements of the deployment. Sometimes it should be simple but sometimes you need more knowledge to connect the device.

The deployment can take around one month. Sometimes the project manager wants to extend the session with the customer and maybe upgrade the migration. Then he asks the customer if there are any problems or is there are any additional issues that come up after the migration. In terms of the configuration, it takes less than five days but in terms of the project, we saw more cases that took around a month.

We only need a project manager and engineer for the deployment. Some deployments require additional engineers. From our customer's side, we usually discuss the deployment with the security team.

What other advice do I have?

Palo Alto is a bit pricy compared to different models. Customers try to compare the price between other solutions, like Fortinet, Cisco, and Checkpoint.

In the next release, I would like for Palo Alto to work on email protection.

I would rate it a ten out of ten.

Reviewer23
IT Infrastructure Manager at Jonah Energy
The self-updating and self-alerting systems require very little management overhead

• "Edge protection is a valuable feature."
  • "The pricing has improved with the newer generation of their Firewalls, but the price could always be lower. In comparison with other solutions, I believe they're quite competitive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for general user security and protection. In our organization, there are around 250 users, using this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Its simplified management interface, self-updating, and self-alerting systems require very little management overhead.

What is most valuable?

Edge protection is a valuable feature. Also, WildFire I think has been the most valuable active protection against a zero-day.

It's also very intuitive and user-friendly.

I have been using this solution for roughly five years.

Both the scalability and stability of this solution are fine for our needs.

The technical support is excellent; I would give them a nine out of ten — their response time could be better.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

We had an SE help us with the installation.

What other advice do I have?

If you're going to use this solution, you should have a professional set it up for you.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine. They're cutting edge. They're one of the leaders in the industry, and they're continuously improving their product.

Find out what your peers are saying about Palo Alto Networks, Darktrace, Trend Micro and others in Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS). Updated: October 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
GG
Network Security administrator at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
User-friendly, offers interesting features, has good URL filtering, and good threat prevention

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases for this solution is content fileting and threat prevention.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it's: User-friendly  Has interesting features  URL filtering  Threat prevention.

What needs improvement?

We use four Palo Alto solutions in stand-alone mode and but it's hard to use when I use it in Panorama. Palo Alto's maintenance needs to be improved.

I have been using this solution for a year and a half.

Palo Alto is quite stable. It's better than Cisco. We've had many issues with Cisco and experienced many bugs.

We've contacted customer support. I…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it's:

• User-friendly
  • Has interesting features
  • URL filtering
  • Threat prevention.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for a year and a half.

We've contacted customer support. I would rate them a six out of ten.

The deployment was straightforward. It wasn't difficult for us.

We used a consultant for the deployment. They helped us to deploy the device. We were satisfied with their service. It's not as good as Cisco support.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It's stable and doesn't have many bugs.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

In order to make it a ten, they should improve their technical support.

GG
Has an easy deployment and good stability

What is our primary use case?

We are in financial environment so we put it on premises and in the cloud.

What is most valuable?

Everything has been okay with the solution. We are using all of the features.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what needs improvement, the only thing I don't like is the support.

I have been using Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention for eight years.

Palo Alto is very stable.

It is scalable. We haven't confronted any issues.

The deployment is easy.

Licensing is yearly-based. The pricing is…

What is our primary use case?

We are in financial environment so we put it on premises and in the cloud.

What is most valuable?

Everything has been okay with the solution. We are using all of the features.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what needs improvement, the only thing I don't like is the support.

I have been using Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention for eight years.

Palo Alto is very stable.

It is scalable. We haven't confronted any issues.

The deployment is easy.

Licensing is yearly-based.

The pricing is higher compared to their competitors. I think Palo Alto is has the highest price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Palo Alto to anybody looking for threat prevention.

M.
Team Lead at pgascom
A scalable and stable solution with a good interface and easily manageable features

What needs improvement?

The resource consumption should be addressed. The technology firewall anomaly network could stand improvement.  The pricing could be better.

We are currently using Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention.

Our network and the stability are good. Authentication of the location is stable. Nothing is changed.

The solution is scalable.

The pricing could be lower.

What other advice do I have?

I like the solution's interface. The features are very easy to manage. The firewall is responsible for a host of tasks, as we use it for the monitoring…

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be better.

We are currently using Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention.

The solution is scalable.

The pricing could be lower.

What other advice do I have?

I like the solution's interface.

The features are very easy to manage. The firewall is responsible for a host of tasks, as we use it for the monitoring of high power systems. The configuring of agents is easy.

I rate Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention as a ten out of ten.

Download our free Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Palo Alto Networks, Darktrace, Trend Micro, and more!