Palo Alto Networks WildFire OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Palo Alto Networks WildFire is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) tools. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Palo Alto Networks WildFire vs Fortinet FortiGate

What is Palo Alto Networks WildFire?
WildFire™ cloud-based threat analysis service is the industry’s most advanced analysis and prevention engine for highly evasive zero-day exploits and malware. The cloud-based service employs a unique multi-technique approach combining dynamic and static analysis, innovative machine learning techniques, and a groundbreaking bare metal analysis environment to detect and prevent even the most evasive threats.
Palo Alto Networks WildFire Buyer's Guide

Download the Palo Alto Networks WildFire Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Palo Alto Networks WildFire Customers
Novamedia, Nexon Asia Pacific, Lenovo, Samsonite, IOOF, Sinogrid, SanDisk Corporation
Palo Alto Networks WildFire Video

Archived Palo Alto Networks WildFire Reviews (more than two years old)

CS
Information Security Officer at a government with 501-1,000 employees
The automatic threat determination makes it a perfect complement to a Palo Alto Firewall

• "The most valuable feature is the Automatic Verdict, to recognize whether something is a threat, or not."
  • "I would like to see them continue on their developmental roadmap for the product."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is for threat intelligence, to detect threats.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has given us a higher level of assurance that we don't have an active threat.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Automatic Verdict feature that recognizes whether something is a threat or not.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see them continue their developmental roadmap for the product.

Approximately one year.

We have never experienced any downtime or inaccuracies.

This product is super scalable.

Their technical support is excellent.

We previously used a different solution but it was ineffective and didn't integrate well.

The initial setup for this solution was very easy. You just turn it on and put it in monitoring mode. One person can deploy and maintain this product.

We implemented in-house.

The ROI is pretty much right away.

The licensing fees are on an annual basis and there are no costs in addition to the standard fees.

Before choosing this solution we evaluated OpenDNS.

What other advice do I have?

WildFire is a perfect complement to a Palo Alto Firewall, it's invaluable.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Girish Vyas
Architect - Cloud Serviced at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Traffic is scanned in a single flow which improves the response times for the user

• "They have many different options with Palo Alto WildFire and the set-up is quick. If you have all the details in hand, it does not take more than 15 minutes to deploy a firewall."
  • "There are certain changes that I was expecting in the previous version, and I hope that they are soon fixed. All of the problems that I have faced so far have been resolved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Palo Alto Networks WildFire for firewall and IT services. We also use it for bank security requirements. They are remarkable for support of threat analysis on files.

How has it helped my organization?

There are always problems with the operational files. You can only do malware identification. That is the way that this device functions.

All of the traffic is scanned in a single flow, which improves the response times for the user. This is how Palo Alto Networks WildFire helps our organization.

What is most valuable?

We appreciate the support of Palo Alto Networks WildFire for our next-generation firewall equipment in deployment.

What needs improvement?

There are certain changes that I was expecting in the previous version, and I hope that they are soon fixed. Their database has good Information over threats because of Unit42 however there is a serious competition to the product from Cisco ThreatGrid and Umbrella

I don't think there are any major features that are different from Palo Alto versus their competitors but with time the PA needs to improvise on products and threat feed if it needs to be the leader

More than five years.

I regularly work with companies with over 2000 users and they safely use Palo Alto Networks WildFire. I haven't seen any problems with stability.

At my company, we use it regularly. For my previous customers, it's a first for them to use Palo Alto products.

Using virtual settings, scalability with WildFire is awesome. On the physical configuration, it is harder and more independent. The scalability is limited there.

There are very good options available with the Palo Alto Networks WildFire. They have given me options for all the support that I need.

With internet speed, the settings range from 2GB or 10GB to 40GB. There are a lot of internet settings options, so I guess they're very scalable in that.

We are not an overly large company, so I can say safely around 400 to 2000 is the user base of people that we support.

Palo Alto's customer support is good. They are awesome. I would rate them nine out of ten for technical support services.

We have not compared this product with other but we would like to evaluate the options if they are available.

They have many different options with Palo Alto WildFire and the setup is quick. The deployment normally takes around 15 minutes.

If you have all the details in hand, it does not take more than 15 minutes to deploy a wildfire and integrate them. Most of it has been deployed before the said timeframe. The only challenge is for tuning on policies and implementing it with DLP to make sure it is in compliance. The key point that I look for while protecting the customer is to make sure that they don't have any opportunities for a malware attack.

An integrator was not required for deployment. I did the installation myself. We had very good documentation. I just needed to read the documentation thoroughly and it was deployed.

Palo Alto does not require any additional costs to the standard licensing fees, but we have the regular license model. If I just want a firewall, then I need to buy two licenses.

If we use a VM base, then I need to buy the VM base license, along with the support package from the provider. However, without the license fee, I need to buy IPS support separately.

Other products like Cortex Data Lake support also need to be licensed separately, but that is a wonderful feature.

With Palo Alto, I can just go buy whatever extra features I want, and they give me a 30-day free license, so that is useful for me.

I can go ahead and buy the product, or if it is not for me anymore, it is free to try. That is a good way to sell their products too. Our subscription runs on a yearly base.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from 1 to 10, I would give Palo Alto Networks WildFire a 8 for safety.

Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks WildFire. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
NS
IT Network Consultant Engineer - Projects and ICT Infrastructure Services at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Helps us when segmenting and securing the network

• "It helps us when segmenting and securing the network and all sort of technologies, all sort of next generation needs. It's next generation phases of firewall like anti-virus, sandboxing, wifi, and VPN."
  • "Other vendors have some sort of bandwidth management built into the firewall itself and Palo Alto is missing that."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are for firewalls, cloud, and on-premise.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us when segmenting and securing the network and all sort of technologies, all sort of next generation needs. It's the next generation phases of firewall like anti-virus, sandboxing, wifi, and VPN.

What is most valuable?

All of the features are quite good.

What needs improvement?

Other vendors have some sort of bandwidth management built into the firewall itself and Palo Alto is missing that.

If there was anything extra for the endpoint security and VNC that would be good, but again it's coming with Palo Alto and must come with some additional cost.

More than five years.

It's very stable. With respect to scalability and stability both, I would say are quite scalable and very steady. I haven't seen any issues.

This solution is being used corporate-wide, more than a couple thousand people.

Most of the time their technical support has been perfect. A few times a few of the tech support engineers did not have strong knowledge. Overall, though, it's good.

I have worked with Cisco, Fortinet, Juniper, CheckPoint, too many of them.

The initial setup was straightforward. The setup took less than an hour, it's a simple firewall setup.

What other advice do I have?

It's a stable product. It's pretty expensive but with respect to value for money, it's okay.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

it_user839463
Associate Director at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
At the end of the day, even in spite of application controls, it's on top of the charts in terms of functionality.

• "Being an application-based firewall, this is one of the critical focus factors along with the threat prevention services it provides."
  • "It is stable and pretty much scalable."
  • "As a firewall and 360 degrees of security, there needs to be more maturity."
  • "The initial setup was complex."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is on-frame and in-cloud security of the infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

We use this with different clients in the financial sphere, the health sector, and the insurance sector. Across all of these different verticals, we use this product.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

As a firewall and 360 degrees of security, there needs to be more maturity. And, the industry is currently moving towards automation and orchestration. I would like to see more of this in the product. They are part of the future roadmap to AI (Artificial Intelligence).

It is stable, and we are also trying to integrate this with the Palo Alto MIME shell. We did that, and also I have inquired recently about Evident, which is a recent acquisition. So I have requested for demos, and still I did not see any response from Palo Alto yet. This is something that we would like to explore.

It's pretty much scalable. We were able to manage both the cloud, and also the on-frame devices or appliances from centralized management station. So, we just implemented in the  migration onto the cloud.

We used tech support to help us implement the product initially.

I have prior experience with Cisco Firepower. But, they are very expensive in comparison to Palo Alto.

The initial setup was complex because we were switching from traditional firewalls to application-based firewalls. We needed Palo Alto's help insetting up initially. From there, we tried to understand, and followed suit with implementation.

It is a reasonable price compared to other solutions on the market.

What other advice do I have?

Some of our clients used to have the traditional firewalls so where we do have enabled the application control but being it's a pretty small firewall. At the end of the day, even in spite of them demanding the application controls, it's on top of the firewall functionality (especially in terms of controlling the applications). So, after implementing the Palo Alto firewalls, they have achieved more than what is expected, and we are able to control the number of applications; who gets to have access, and what is flowing inside the network. Anything that is traversing the firewall, is available right now.

Ahmed Ismail
Security Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The cloud-based services are a nice feature.

• "The cloud-based services are a nice feature."
  • "My primary use case for this solution is for a secure gateway."
  • "I think it would be nice for Palo Alto to work without the connection to the cloud. It is 100% powerful when connected to the cloud. But, if you disconnect from the cloud, you only get 40-50% power."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is for a secure gateway. It creates a proxy or an appropriation for the suspicious files that can be damaging.

How has it helped my organization?

The cloud-based services are a nice feature.

What needs improvement?

I do not find it as secure as other solutions. Furthermore, the cloud-based solutions are still not legally available in countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Russia. Some countries do not allow the service according to country obligations. They can not use the cloud services for government offices. So, Wildfire is not allowed in several locations.

More than five years.

I have previous experience with FireEye and Symantec. I find that Symantec is a standalone on an enterprise level secure market, which I cannot say for WildFire.

The initial setup was straightforward and easy.

HG
Head Of Operations at RAH InfoTech (P) Ltd
Reseller
I like the attention to detail. It is easy to manage.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is the attention to detail. IT is also easy to manage, and easy to use. It is a really good product.

How has it helped my organization?

The reporting feature helps our performance.

What is most valuable?

I really like the product, it is easy to manage and easy to use.

Less than one year.

In the duration of our use, it has been stable.

It is a scalable product. We have had no issues with scalability.

I have not had issues with technical support of this solution.

The initial…

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

The reporting feature helps our performance.

What is most valuable?

I really like the product, it is easy to manage and easy to use.

Less than one year.

In the duration of our use, it has been stable.

It is a scalable product. We have had no issues with scalability.

I have not had issues with technical support of this solution.

The initial setup was very easy for us.

The pricing is OK, it is not too expensive.

We looked at other products, but found PaloAlto to be the best solution for our needs.

What other advice do I have?

I would give this product a rating of 9 out of 10 due to some slight issues of performance.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a reseller of this solution.
EB
Network System Administrator at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
It catches modified signatures of known viruses

• "Their technical support is outstanding and top-notch."
  • "It catches modified signatures of known viruses."
  • "They should make their user interface a little more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We don't want a virus. We don't want people visiting unknown sites and opening us up to any type of malware or any type of virus attacks.

How has it helped my organization?

We haven't had a virus. That is a good thing. It makes my job easier. For the organization as a whole, no viruses mean people keep their jobs, which is a good thing.

It is an outstanding solution. It is one of the top solutions out there from what we have tested, and we have even tested Cisco Firepower.

What is most valuable?

You can see everything that's going on in your network. It constantly updates their signatures and new anti-spyware signatures. That is updated daily.

It catches modified signatures of known viruses. It is an easy interface to use.

What needs improvement?

They should make their user interface a little more user-friendly.

Three to five years.

We are a decent size organization. If the product can fit our organization, it should be able to fit pretty much any other organization just as well.

Their technical support is outstanding and top-notch.

They were things that only somebody who had worked with Palo Alto before would probably be able to break down, then tell you how to set up your initial rule sets and explain what exactly they do. The vendor helped us look at what we have going out versus what is coming in.

They provided in-house support when we initially set it up. They made sure that we were supported from start to finish. Any questions we had, we had someone that we could reach out to, and we had an answer within a matter of minutes to hours. They are very responsive and easy to work with.

What other advice do I have?

Test it in your environment because everyone's environment is different.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Price matching up with features.
  • Support
  • SLA agreements
  • Customer relationship management.
Bachir Elsitt
Network Security Engineer at Data Consult
With this product, we receive the best monitoring and reports

• "​Installing this product as a datacenter firewall for segregation and segmentation, and also configuring policies between zones has improved my organization."
  • "With this product, we receive the best monitoring and reports.​"
  • "​The VPN and decryption need improvement."
  • "​They provide a medium level of technical support."

How has it helped my organization?

Installing this product as a datacenter firewall for segregation and segmentation, and also configuring policies between zones.

What is most valuable?

Threat Prevention and WildFire features should be enabled in Palo Alto. With this product, we receive the best monitoring and reports.

What needs improvement?

The VPN and decryption need improvement.

Three to five years.

No, I did not encounter any issues with Palo Alto's firewall. The product is very stable.

No, but you should do the rightsizing before buying the product.

They provide a medium level of technical support.

I used Cisco. Palo Alto is better for datacenter and Cisco for perimeter.

Straightforward to use.

More expensive than other firewalls.

We evaluated Cisco Firepower.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to install Palo Alto's firewall as a datacenter. You should enable the features (Threat Prevention (AS, AV, and Vulnerability Protection), File Blocking, URL Filtering, WildFire, etc.).

Palo Alto's firewall is the best firewall right now. I have used Palo Alto since 2014.

Sr. Network Engineer at a tech services company
Strengthens existing protections, provides significant visibility into files and apps moving through the company's systems

• "Detailed reporting on analysis of content. The inspections are easily applied to security policy profiles and profile groups, and may be assigned on a per-rule basis."

How has it helped my organization?

This product/feature is an enhancement to traditional company/corporate AV and VP solutions, not a replacement. As such, it strengthens existing protections and provides significant visibility into files and applications that are moving through the company's systems.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

I have never accessed PAN (Palo Alto Networks) technical support regarding this feature.

This is a fairly unique feature offered by Palo Alto Networks (may be comparable to FireEye). As such, it was an addition to our existing protection suites.

Very straightforward. Basically, a few check boxes and desired behaviors.

It is expensive, a feature more accessible to enterprise class customers, but provides an enhanced possibility that Zero- or near-Zero-day threats may be identified and mitigated. The cost of the product weighed against the potential impact of even one successful crypto malware-type exploit may justify the expense.

No, again this "WildFire" is a fairly unique feature. The closest comparison may be FireEye, but I have not used that product.

What other advice do I have?

Consider your level of exposure to exploits of any nature. Also, consider the impact (cost and loss of business) of even one successful exploit to help make a business decision regarding this product.

I would also advise that the decision should be considered with regard to the company's ability/willingness to provide the assets to keep abreast of these types of products and features. There are no set and forget type functions.

Azadur Sarker
    Deputy Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    The IDA and IPS system filtering provide an enhancing network and endpoint security for the client

• "High availability with active-active and active-passive modes."
    • "The data analytical system for deployment needs to improve."

How has it helped my organization?

It provides the enhancing network and endpoint security for the client through its IDA and IPS system filtering.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

• High availability with active-active and active-passive modes.
    • Redundant power input for increased reliability.
    • Fan-less design.

What needs improvement?

The data analytical system for deployment needs to improve.

Technical support is excellent, I would rate it a 10/10.

It is quite easy to set up.

The pricing and licensing option should be categorized for various countries such as for Bangladesh.

We looked at Forcepoint NGFW.

What other advice do I have?

Technical support is excellent and it is a promising option.

it_user531378
    Senior Network and Security Engineer
    Was instrumental in blocking new threats before other anti-virus tools were able to detect them.

• "WildFire has been instrumental in blocking a number of new threats, before common desktop anti-virus tools were able to detect them."

How has it helped my organization?

WildFire has been instrumental in blocking a number of new threats, before common desktop anti-virus tools were able to detect them. When Wannacry first came out, wildfire was detecting it and dropping incoming threats within seconds. We were dropping over 10,000 files per day with no additional firewall load at all.

What is most valuable?

Dynamic analysis.

What needs improvement?

I am very happy with WildFire and can see no obvious areas of improvement at this point.

This product is rock solid in terms of stability.

There were no problems with scalability. We have rolled out more firewalls to clients, and no scalability issues were found.

Technical support is fine. We have never needed to contact them regarding WildFire.

We previously used Fortinet. However, we found it to miss a lot of incoming viruses, because at the time, they had no sandbox style service.

The setup was very easy. Simply license the feature and enable it within your scanning profiles.

This feature is implemented in-house.

As soon as it began dropping incoming threats, measured in days, that desktop scanners could not find, it hit its ROI.

It's not particularly cheap, but it is absolutely worth it.

We evaluated Fortinet and Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

Do it.

Senior Systems Administrator/Network Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Provides credential-based attack prevention.

• "Whole team can use the firewall and understand it."
      • "The GUI is better in 8.0, but I still feel it lacks the fast response most of us desire. Logs are much quicker."

How has it helped my organization?

• Much more visibility during an attack lifecycle; found a lot of infected hosts and vulnerabilities.

What is most valuable?

• App-ID
      • Easy migration
      • Credential-based attack prevention
      • PBF easily configured
      • Whole team can use the firewall and understand it

What needs improvement?

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer service is excellent. Their support is top-tier for sure.

Technical support is excellent. Their support is top-tier for sure.

We previously used legacy Cisco ASA. We switched because it was buggy and had no visibility; it was not easy for the rest of my team to use.

Initial setup was straightforward.

A vendor team implemented it. They were amazing.

It IS a bit expensive, but I think you get what you pay for. Value is there.

Before choosing this product, we also evaluated Check Point, Cisco, and Fortinet.

Girish Vyas
      Architect - Cloud Serviced at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
      It crashes too frequently for a few boxes, but they have the best tech junkies I have worked with.

What is most valuable?

• App-ID
      • User-ID
      • Ease of deployment and usability
      • Filtering Mechanism like SP3 Engine

How has it helped my organization?

From a technical perspective this has given us a new high as this is how a technology solution should function. From a sales perspective, we have been able to pitch the solution to new customers as it seems cheap to customers when we bundle the solution, compared to getting each device for individual functions.

What needs improvement?

• IP SLA tracking
      • GRE tunnel support

I believe these are the major improvements in the pipeline.

I've been using it for four years.

It crashes too frequently for a few boxes, which could be expected from a new vendor as it evolves. The best part is RMA, as you get the box back quickly if you have it in the contract.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

If it is Arrow support, it's pathetic. I wouldn't recommend them. However, if you go directly with the PA team they are the best tech junkies I have worked with.

6/10.

We used to have Netscreen as our favourite, but it went EOL. Being an MSP we have to have expertise with all the devices. Although, Netscreen is our favourite.

I would say that this is difficult to answer, as the setup would be adaptable based on the mode you use, and the way the firewall can be configured. If you ask an expert it would be straightforward. If you ask a newbie, it would be not that difficult to configure if you follow the mentioned steps.

What other advice do I have?

Go forward, this is an amazing device to be implemented if you have the cost to bear.

Presales Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      The way that the product process or handle the traffic, is one of the best in the industry.​

Valuable Features:

It has one of the best WebUIs that I have used, because at a glance looks simple, but offers us a lot of options to secure all the traffic that is passing through the device (or all traffic that the user decides to pass through). Besides, the way that scan the applications to detect what kind of application is do not affect anything about the device's performance. The way that the product process or handle the traffic, is one of the best in the industry.

Improvements to My Organization:

Well, I work as a security consultant, so one of my functions is to help and provide to the end users with recommendations about technologies or process to secure their network. So, one of my customer decide to migrate from TMG/UMG to Palo Alto, it took a while, but during this process, I showed them many ways to improve their current security with Palo Alto, and after a while, they are very comfortable with the technology, for them now, it is easier to apply some kind of web filtering or application filtering than the past.

Room for Improvement:

I'd like to see a wizard to create IPSec VPNs. They need to  improve the graphics to show the network behavior.

Deployment Issues:

Deployment is easy.

Stability Issues:

The stability is acceptable.

Scalability Issues:

It depends about the project, but offers a good HA option.

Other Advice:

Always show to the customer what the product can do for them and what not, is a good practice, because they can open their eyes and to be sure what are the benefits of that technology. Always analyze the network topology, using the customer's network diagram and ask every doubt that you have, for my experience a good analysis and deployment plan give us a successful implementation.

Data and Storage Systems Manager at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Palo Alto is an easy to manage firewall.
      Palo Alto is an easy to manage firewall. It connects successfully in AD and LADP for user based policy. It has rich application info for app.based policies and it gives enough IDS performance. New policy compile is speedy.

it_user292647
      IT Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      It can do on-premises sandboxing and detect attacks by malware embedded on files and URLs, but it should handle many more file types without sending .APK files to the cloud for sandboxing.

What is most valuable?

It can do sandboxing on the premises, and it can be directly integrated with Palo Alto NGFW. The malware information on the file that has been sandboxing will be directly updated to the Palo Alto NGFW, and added to the Palo Alto Networks NGFW malware signature library. Also, the credential data within the file that has been sandboxing still be kept on the premises.

How has it helped my organization?

Palo Alto Networks WildFire can detect many types of attacks that are using malware embedded on files/URLs with minimum time, and it can increase the effectiveness of resources (time and people) to prevent the malware.

What needs improvement?

In my opinion, it could be developed to be dependent not only on signatures, but also on patterns and behavior of malware. What I would like to see in the next version/release is to be able to handle much more file types on premises during deployment, because now on premises deployment a .APK file must be sent to the cloud for sandboxing.

I can't remember exactly, but probably more than six months.

For now, I have no issues with the deployment.

For now, I have no issues with the stability.

For now, I have no issues with the scalability.

Both customer server and technical support are very good.

In our case, before we contact Palo Alto Networks technical support, we can contact the Palo Alto Networks local distributor, who provide Palo Alto Networks technical support locally.

I forgot what the name or product that used previously, but the reason I choose Palo Alto Networks wildfire is it integrated with Palo Alto Networks NGFW that already used on the network environment

The initial setup of Palo Alto Networks WildFire is simple.

We’re the ones who implement the Palo Alto Networks WildFire in our customers environments.

It’s not about what we will get directly from having Palo Alto Networks WildFire as an ATD device, but it’s all about the loss of resources you suffer if you don't have it implemented.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Palo Alto Networks partner and reseller.
      it_user221883
      Network Systems Manager with 51-200 employees
      MSP
      A custom script is required to put the SSL Decryption certificate into Mozilla Firefox but it is a very comprehensive and secure firewall.

What is most valuable?

User identification and the Applipedia are the most useful. The integration of the Applipedia with the application identification at layer seven makes it a very comprehensive, and secure, firewall.

How has it helped my organization?

We have the ability to see what traffic is coming and going in a much deeper and more detailed fashion. We have also found, and stopped, several malware applications before they infected the endpoints.

I've used it for five months.

During initial testing we were too strict on what was allowed outbound. We ended up needing to open up more broad categories. We also found that several websites do not function well with the SSL Decryption feature. We also found that a custom script is required to put the SSL Decryption certificate into Mozilla Firefox.

No the product has been very stable and reliable.

We implemented it in a smaller environment but, find that the 3000 series has plenty of power and has the ability to grow with us as we provide north-south as well as east-west security between internal environments.

Customer service is very friendly and responsive to any request.

I have found the tech support to be impressive. Support agents are available 24/7, and I have never waited for more than an hour to speak with an agent. I would consider the first team you call to be equivalent to most level two or three engineers.

Previously we used Cisco ASA 5510 and Fortinet. Fortinet was an old version and was phased out due to this. The Cisco ASA was replaced do to the limited capability of the out of box functionality and reporting.

Initial set-up was straightforward and easy. We were able to get both devices on the network and set-up to look at traffic within a few hours on split up time. The products complexity came from the terms and the overall thinking of how the product works.

We did it in-house.

Before choosing Palo Alto we also reviewed Cisco ASA, Fortinet, and Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

The product is straightforward to implement, though if you are looking for a quick implementation, I would suggest bringing in an expert.

it_user217794
      Chief Information Security Officer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
      The deployment of Wildfire was surprisingly easy but inspection over different protocols needs to be improved.

What is most valuable?

Being able to discover malicious files unknown to most AV vendors.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed me to stop new attacks before they could gain a foothold in my network.

What needs improvement?

• Inspection over different protocols (not just HTTP/FTP)
      • Inspecting more file types
      • Providing information back to the community that it uses to support its product.

I've used it for three years. However, my current company isn't using the product. I took a different engineering route into the company and I decided to use other protection solutions and not Wildfire.

The deployment of Wildfire was surprisingly easy.

Wildfire itself was a very stable product.

I never had any issues with scalability. When I enabled it, it seemed to work in the environment that the firewall was already servicing.

Great when I was at a large company but average or less than average at a small company.

Overall their support people are better than most tech companies.

There was no solution in this space before Wildfire. Both FireEye and Wildfire came onto the market right around the same time.

It was straightforward as I could, literally, turn on the firewall settings in five minutes or less.

You really don't need to pay to turn it on. The configuration is very simple.

There are two levels of Wildfire.

1. The free version which is great, so I would guess there is no ROI on this version
      2. Then there is the subscription version of the service and this is a very affordable yearly subscription per firewall

Initially, the product doesn't cost anything for the first tier of usage you can prove the product before buying it.

• FireEye
      • Blue Coat
      • ProofPoint.
      • Even as the more the list of products I look at each year is pretty long.

What other advice do I have?

If you're running Palo Alto firewalls there is no reason not to use it at the free level. Once you have run it for a while at the basic level, you can make an educated decision if it's worth paying for the subscription (it is).