Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Application Virtualization tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Remote Desktop Services: Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) vs Microsoft Remote Desktop Services

What is Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS)?
ApplicationServer delivers applications, data and virtual desktops from a central location, providing continuous availability, resource-based load-balancing and complete network transparency.

Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) is also known as Parallels RAS.

Download the Application Virtualization Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) Customers
Arsari Group _ PT Netmarks Indonesia, Izhevsk Elektromekhanicheskiy Zavod (IEMZ) _ Kupol, Abilene Diagnostic Clinic, Fylde Borough Council, YARSTROYREZE LLC, VSK Insurance House, Melenkovsky District of Vladimirskaya Oblast, Sofrigam SA, Antenna International, KingsGate Community Church, Norwegian American Hospital, Island Hotels Group, Medway Council, Medway Council, Voices of September 11th, MacDonald Training Center, Kansas Childrenês Service League, Scope,Next Generation Clubs, WTC Communications, Opera Australia, HSE Integrated, Danier, Bridgwater College, Kern County Mental Health, Tony Tiendas, Spears Manufacturing, Managed Insurance Services Inc., Intuitive Medical Software, M.J. Soffe, Mazda Motors, Israel Military Industries (IMI), Telfair, Upic Solutions, Teleflora, Fisher & Company
Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) pricing:
  • "It is very affordable."

Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) Reviews

JH
Datacenter Engineer at Freelancer
An excellent, simple interface for our customers; allows use of any browser on any platform

• "Simplicity of the interface is a valuable feature."
  • "If the solution crashes, then all the customers connected through that agent, lose their session."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is to publish and make available applications for customers. I'm a customer of Parallels and a data center engineer and freelancer.

How has it helped my organization?

The previous solution I used, Citrix, had a very specific browser. With Parallels, you can use any browser on any platform to access the application, which makes it much more convenient for the customers and is easier to manage. We're able to replicate the environment more quickly if we need to build out more servers.

What is most valuable?

The simplicity of the interface for customers is a valuable feature. In this case, we wanted a solution that did not require a client and it could be run from a browser. As far as we can tell this is also a very secure solution, which is very important to us because we're in the financial industry.

What needs improvement?

When the customer is connected, they use a specific publishing agent and if that agent fails, the customer loses their connection. From a usability perspective, it would be nice if there was an automated way that the connection would fail-over to a different publishing agent so the user would not lose their session. That is not an option now so if that publishing agent crashes, then all the customers connected through that agent lose their session.

I've been using this solution for more than one year.

This solution has been very stable.

Scalability is not super-applicable because we have a pretty static environment, but when there is a need to add additional servers, it's not difficult. I know that there are some automated features that you can use to scale, but we've never had to use any of those, so I can't speak to that, but I know that it is something that they offer as part of the solution. We have two people that are the administrators of Parallels and some support staff and developers, around 10 people, that do administration of the applications that are published. We have about 250 users.

Parallels' first level of support could probably be a little better, but their second and third level support is awesome. Very responsive, very good, very knowledgeable and very helpful.
At the first level, their knowledge is just not up to what it needs to be to troubleshoot many issues. It might be different now, but at that time it was problematic for us.

We previously used an older version of Citrix and decided that rather than upgrading to the later version, which would have been very expensive, we chose Parallels which offered a more economical solution. Basically, it was the most economical enterprise-ready solution  available. There were other things out there that could have been used, but they couldn't do what Parallels does.

If you don't have any experience with it, some of the setup was a little bit complex, but now that I've worked with it, thinking back about what was required, it doesn't seem so difficult. In a smaller environment, I think it's fairly easy to set up. Once you start to build out a little bit more, it can get a little complex. By small environment, I'm referring to an organization with one front-end server, one gateway and one or two applications.

We didn't have time to do any testing beforehand. We had to do immediate implementation. There was no knowledge at all of the product, so we were installing it without any background. It took several days at least to get things working. I was working 20-hour days for a month and I've forgotten the way things were going and what we did and how long it took. We were doing so many things at the same time, because we'd had a data center failure and a hack, and this was the way to get us back online. We carried out the deployment ourselves together with some Parallels' support.

I don't really know how to quantify it but without Parallels, we'd either be spending a lot more money or our business would not exist anymore.

VMware had another solution that we evaluated, but it was expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend having some type of consultant or architect, somebody with experience to know the best way to implement, because we did have to make a few changes after the fact, once we discovered some things. The documentation is pretty good. We didn't have the benefit of setting up a dev environment, but if somebody could, I would highly suggest they do that. If that's possible, I think in a pretty short space of time people would have the knowledge they needed to deploy it to production.

For what Parallels has given us and compared to the cost of other solutions, and the fact that it's stable, works well, does what we need and is secure, I rate it a 10 out of 10.

SC
Solution consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good price, good performance, and easy to use

• "Its price and ease of use are the most valuable. It is simple and has good performance."
  • "Generally, it is a very good solution. The main thing that I would improve is their presence here in Mexico. They don't have strong local support here in Mexico. They should have a worldwide presence so that we don't have to do everything through the people in the US. The initial setup was a little bit complex because we were migrating from Citrix. For customers who are migrating from another platform like VMware or Citrix, it would be great if they can provide an automated migration solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it through the ProLiant ERP solution.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Generally, it is a very good solution. The main thing that I would improve is their presence here in Mexico. They don't have strong local support here in Mexico. They should have a worldwide presence so that we don't have to do everything through the people in the US.

The initial setup was a little bit complex because we were migrating from Citrix. For customers who are migrating from another platform, such as VMware or Citrix, it would be great if they can provide an automated migration solution.

I have been using this solution for two months.

Its stability is very good.

Its scalability is good. We have around 30 users.

Their technical support is very good. I would rate them a ten out of ten.

The initial setup was a little bit complex because we were migrating from Citrix, but we got help from them all the time. The deployment took about two days.

It is very affordable.

What other advice do I have?

To use it, it is important that you have a requirement to deploy on the cloud. It is not the right solution for on-premises deployments. It is the right solution for cloud deployments. It has a very affordable price and the highest capabilities. It is really good.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.