Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Application Virtualization tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Remote Desktop Services: Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) vs Microsoft Remote Desktop Services

What is Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS)?
ApplicationServer delivers applications, data and virtual desktops from a central location, providing continuous availability, resource-based load-balancing and complete network transparency.

Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) is also known as Parallels RAS.

Download the Application Virtualization Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) Customers
Arsari Group _ PT Netmarks Indonesia, Izhevsk Elektromekhanicheskiy Zavod (IEMZ) _ Kupol, Abilene Diagnostic Clinic, Fylde Borough Council, YARSTROYREZE LLC, VSK Insurance House, Melenkovsky District of Vladimirskaya Oblast, Sofrigam SA, Antenna International, KingsGate Community Church, Norwegian American Hospital, Island Hotels Group, Medway Council, Medway Council, Voices of September 11th, MacDonald Training Center, Kansas Childrenês Service League, Scope,Next Generation Clubs, WTC Communications, Opera Australia, HSE Integrated, Danier, Bridgwater College, Kern County Mental Health, Tony Tiendas, Spears Manufacturing, Managed Insurance Services Inc., Intuitive Medical Software, M.J. Soffe, Mazda Motors, Israel Military Industries (IMI), Telfair, Upic Solutions, Teleflora, Fisher & Company
Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) Video

Archived Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) Reviews (more than two years old)

MichaelCoxon
Technical Lead (Windows Desktops) / Senior IT Consultant at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allows our Cloudpaging applications to be delivered to non-Windows machines

• "We use Cloudpaging to package and deploy the vast majority of our applications to our standard Windows 10 desktops. With the use of Parallels integration into Software2 AppsAnywhere hub, this means we can use the same packages to deliver Windows applications to almost any device - Windows, mac OS, iOS, Android, Linux, Xbox One, PS4 - just by ticking a box."
  • "It needs Windows scaling on Android/iOS devices. At present, the concept of delivering apps to Android and iOS devices is appealing, but the reality is the screen size on these devices is so small that, unless there is some scaling option, it is not really usable."

What is our primary use case?

To provide applications to Macs and standalone Windows machines, also Linux and Android devices from appsanywhere.

How has it helped my organization?

Allows our Cloudpaging applications to be delivered to non-Windows machines all via our standard portal which is appsanywhere.

What is most valuable?

Its integration with Cloudpaigng and AppsAnywhere. We use Cloudpaging to package and deploy the vast majority of our applications to our standard Windows 10 desktops. With the use of Parallels integration into Software2 AppsAnywhere hub, this means we can use the same packages to deliver Windows applications to almost any device - Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Xbox One, PS4 - just by ticking a box.

What needs improvement?

It needs Windows scaling on Android/iOS devices. At present, the concept of delivering apps to Android and iOS devices is appealing, but the reality is that the screen size on these devices is so small that, unless there is some scaling option, it is not really usable.

Still implementing.

No stability issues yet.

No scalability issues yet.

Technical support is very good..

The setup was done by the vendor and seemed straigtforward.

What other advice do I have?

Run a trial and see if it meets your requirements.

Christophe Jurdan
System Engineer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Accelerates deployment of thin clients and remote desktop servers

• "Thin client management (Windows 10 client) provides an easy way to lock down client connection to the remote infrastructure. Policies are very helpful for preconfiguring client behavior. Finally, client management is easy."
  • "HALB is not stable in our environment. When running two HALBs we have stability problems, so we use an active one and a passive for backup. Also, it would be nice to implement an upgrade of the environment without having to stop the servers. As it is, this must be done during off-hours."

What is our primary use case?

Providing load balancing to our RDS infrastructure, publishing RDS applications and desktops.

How has it helped my organization?

Accelerates deployment of thin clients and remote desktop servers in the farm.

What is most valuable?

• Thin client management (Windows 10 client) provides an easy way to lock down client connection to the remote infrastructure.
  • Policies are very helpful for preconfiguring client behavior.
  • Client management is easy.

What needs improvement?

Also, it would be nice to implement an upgrade of the environment without having to stop the servers. As it is, this must be done during off-hours.

More than five years.

There have been a few stability issues, mainly around configuration.

I use GPO preferences to push configuration of Windows 10 thin client parameters for Parallels. Each device can have status “managed” in Parallels, meaning that the client is managed by the administration console and policies are applied. But these thin clients were not able to be managed because we discovered that we had already installed the RAS client on the SysPrep-ed machine, and a registry setting was used by Parallels to know the client’s MAC address. This MAC address was the same for all clients and the SysPrep-ed machine, so communication between newly installed clients and the administration server was not possible.

I had to create a script to collect the client’s MAC address during login and replace the registry value with it.

No issues with scalability.

Technical support is an eight out of 10.

Native remote desktop.

The initial setup was of medium complexity. We initially purchased a RAS server to provide more advanced load balancing capabilities between our remote desktop servers. This configuration was quite simple. We added another gateway server later and that was straightforward too.

Pricing is good.

What other advice do I have?

Read the manual.

Find out what your peers are saying about Parallels, Citrix, VMware and others in Application Virtualization. Updated: September 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jim Carlton
IT Director at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allowed us to centralize our software, making scalability and updates easier

• "It has allowed us to centralize the software location so we don't have to update the software client on 70 computers."
  • "The main issue we have with all of our users is printing. Randomly, a printer will disconnect or someone won't connect to it and I will have to reset the print service and then nobody can print. That's the big headache we've had over the course of the five years."

What is our primary use case?

It's our financial software. From the server side, we got it set up and, for the most part, it has been working. I haven't really changed the configuration in some three years.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to centralize the software location so we don't have to update the software client on 70 computers. It's just the one or two servers that we have, and when people connect to it, it goes from there. It allows for ease of scalability, ease of update, etc.

What is most valuable?

• Ease of use
  • Ease of setup
  • Stability

Those would be the three things I really like about it.

What needs improvement?

The main issue we have with all of our users is printing. Randomly, a printer will disconnect or someone won't connect to it and I will have to reset the print service and then nobody can print. That's the big headache we've had over the course of the five years, printing.

Three to five years.

We have not generally encountered any issues with stability and, usually, it is more server-based than software-based. Generally, it's some hardware failing in the server which causes some instability. But we get that replaced and everything gets back to normal. I would say it's a stable product.

We have not noticed any issues with scalability. Generally, again, that goes back to servers. When we noticed that one server was not enough for us, we added another server. We were able to add it to the farm within the software, and it flowed pretty easily. It allowed us to scale up really easily.

The few times I have used tech support, they have been really good, quick response. They're really knowledgeable about the software and are able to find a solution and get it going for me.

We did not have a previous solution. The company I worked for before was taking over IT and we realized they were going to need this kind of solution. I don't know how the decision was made. I came into it after all the decisions had been made about the software. Because the companies were merging together, they were going to have more users. They needed a more centralized software system.

The setup was pretty straightforward. In this environment especially, it's just two or three programs that we have that a lot of people need to use, so it was just getting it set up, installed the right way, and making sure that everybody was able to get connected. We made sure everybody could get the right client software. Then, upgrading software versions, we made sure we got that taken care of on everybody's computers, and went from there.

With a different client that I had set it up for, it was a little bit more complicated but that was the nature of their environment, not so much the software.

I feel the product's pricing is of good value. We have reviewed pricing on other software products, Citrix and products like that, and we realized that for the same basic functionality, we're paying pennies on the dollar, so we do appreciate that pricing level.

In terms of licensing, I don't want to call it an "issue" but the one thing we've run into is, sometimes not having enough licenses. So you have to be on top of that, be ahead of that game. Don't wait until you've completely run out. Always stay five ahead.

We didn't really test out anything else that I know of. When I came in, the decision had already been made. We have reviewed other solutions in the past, like Citrix but, again, we felt that the functionality that we needed was in this solution. For the price point and for the service, we just want to stick with Parallels.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have security groups set up for who's going to be using which applications. Other than that, it's stable, it's easy to set up. Once it's set up, you don't really change in a lot of things, unless you're adding to it. You don't have to worry too much. You can get alerts. You have real, in-depth control of everything, so it's a great solution.

I give this product an eight out of 10 and it just comes down to the printing. We've tried several things to get that resolved and nothing has really worked. It will work well for a little bit and then something will hiccup. We have had a lot of hassle for a while. Otherwise, it's a great product.

GA
IT Manager at a recruiting/HR firm with 51-200 employees
Facilitates publishing applications to groups of users by integrating with Active Directory

• "The most valuable feature is the ease with which you can publish applications to different groups of users, by integrating with Windows Active Directory."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for remote application installation in Terminal Servers.

How has it helped my organization?

Maintenance of software versions has been greatly simplified, ensuring that all users are using the same version of applications.

What is most valuable?

The ease with which you can publish applications to different groups of users, by integrating with Windows Active Directory.

What needs improvement?

All areas of the product could be improved especially for the IT department, facilitating the deployment of applications and their maintenance. They also need to offer more options, flexibility, and to keep the price as low as possible.

More than five years.

We have encountered stability issues at times, but they have been resolved with updates.

No issues with scalability.

Technical support is quite good. I would rate it at eight out of 10.

Straightforward. Our vendor did it.

We evaluated Microsoft RemoteApp, but it was more expensive and more difficult to configure.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure the initial installation is done by a vendor.

JM
    Project Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Provides flexible access to Windows applications from many types of devices

• "It provides flexible access to Windows applications from many types of devices."
    • "A web-based management interface for administration and reporting would be nice, instead of needing to log into a remote server."

What is our primary use case?

It provides flexible access to Windows applications from many types of devices.

How has it helped my organization?

Students need to access many Windows applications. We provide hundreds of PCs across the campus for them to do so. Using Parallels means they can now use their own devices (Macs, tablets, etc.) from any location instead of having to go to a specific room or queue to use a PC.

What is most valuable?

• Ease of set up
    • Transparent end user experience

Our main target for this product is the student body, who may not be using a Windows PC/laptop, and require access to applications which they are required to undertake during their studies or when they need to carry out research activities. Parallels allows us to provide easy access to applications on multiple devices from any location.

Less than one year.

We have not yet encountered any issues with stability.

We have not yet encountered any issues with scalability.

Their technical support is okay.

We did not previously use another solution.

The initial setup was straightforward.

It was performed by Parallels.

Everyone's circumstances are different. Therefore, I cannot provide advice.

We evaluated Citrix VMware.

What other advice do I have?

Try it in a pilot first.

TK
    Operation Manager Servers and Central Infrastructure
    Streamlines publishing apps and desktops on Terminal Servers, and sharing printers

• "We can publish apps and desktops on Terminal Servers and seamlessly share printers. We also combine Parallels with Deepnet Security to get two-factor authentication."
    • "We use several gateways because access to our secret zone requires two-factor user authentication. It is a lot of hassle differentiating among users with or without two-factor. Of course, we could use two farms, but that would mean more management too."

How has it helped my organization?

We have some systems in a secret zone of our network. With Parallels, it's easy to publish an app or a desktop to users.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We use several gateways because access to our secret zone requires two-factor user authentication. It is a lot of hassle differentiating among users with or without two-factor. Of course, we could use two farms, but that would mean more management too.

More than five years.

We have encountered stability issues at times. Some updates are not good and are followed by a new update soon after.

We have had issues with scalability but we do not use a load balancer.

We have not used tech support often but it has been good in the cases where we had to use them.

It's easier to set up and use than Citrix. We also switched because Parallels was more cost-effective and supported our requirements better.

The initial setup is straightforward, but ours was more complex to meet all our needs.

I recommend testing Parallels and comparing it to your needs. Compare the prices against what you are able to do with the product and its alternatives. Parallels is not a cheap product.

What other advice do I have?

Read the docs, do a test, and plan well.

MF
    Technical Operations Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees

• "We use RAS to publish cloud desktops to our clients. The ability to easily publish resources to a subset of users is what we find most valuable."
    • "The management capability from the RAS portal provides greater control than using pure MS inbuilt into RDS capabilities."
    • "It would be great if there were more sophisticated GPO templates/options."
    • "We have had significant, ongoing issues with printing. It would be great to have a best practice for dealing with printing that we can offer to our customers."

What is our primary use case?

Cloud-hosted desktop.

How has it helped my organization?

We use RAS for customer solutions.

What is most valuable?

We use RAS to publish cloud desktops to our clients. The ability to easily publish resources to a subset of users is what we find most valuable.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if there were more sophisticated GPO templates/options.

From time to time, we have had issues with stability. However, this could be related to connectivity at client sites.

We also have regular issues with printers disappearing from sessions.

We currently use Parallels side-by-side with an Azure cloud-hosted solution. This may be from a lack of product knowledge on my part, but we still need to work out the most effective way to shut down servers outside of hours, thereby reduce hosting costs. I am not entirely convinced Parallels does this well yet.

In my limited dealings with support, they have been responsive, respectful, and helpful.

We were previously using Citrix. We changed for a number of reasons:

1. We acquired a cloud company which was already using Parallels.
    2. Cost.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Parallels is a cost effective alternative to Citrix.

We evaluated Citrix and Microsoft Remote Desktop Services (MS RDS).

What other advice do I have?

Understand what you want to get out of the product.

DD
    IT Analyst at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Minimizes the man-hours that go into application installation and IT maintenance

• "The connection is compressed so we don't need a lot of resources to run it."

What is our primary use case?

We publish applications and our users are scattered across different geographical locations. So we install the client on the end-user's laptop and then we publish their applications.

How has it helped my organization?

The connection is compressed so we don't need a lot of resources to run it.

Also, the ease of use. Initially, before using Parallels, we had to manually install whatever applications we were using. So if I had, for example, five users, and three software programs, I had to install three install applications on each of the five laptops. That took more man-hours, and all my resources would get into it. But with Parallels, I just install it once into one location and the client does the work for me. So it provides ease of use and minimizes the man-hours that go into installation and the maintenance of IT.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is our control. If I want to disable a user I just go to that particular user and disable them. And if I want to publish any application, if there is a new application that I want to publish, it is very easy.

What needs improvement?

They don't have any local support here. It's not that we need it much because for us it is very stable, the upgrades/updates are quite good, and they come at regular intervals. But all the other OEMs in this region have their own local support here, either through the vendor, or in-house. But Parallels, I have never found any local support here.

I think tech support needs to be improved because whatever support I get is through email, so it takes a very long time for them to reply.

Three to five years.

Stability-wise it is quite good, if you give it enough resources to run the software. I have the RAS server and it never crashes, it never goes down by itself, so it is pretty stable. I would say it is quite good, it is doing great.

We haven't had any scalability problems. We initially started with a single server and then we went up to three servers. We upgraded to the latest version, but it did wonders for us. It has never given us any issues as such.

Initially, we were just using the traditional way of installing. We were not even aware that there was a solution in the market. When we did our research we came to know that there is something useful out there, and we went ahead with Parallels.

The initial set up was pretty straightforward. We knew what applications we needed and we knew the platform, so it was pretty straightforward.

It justifies the price.

In terms of licensing, initially when we got the product it was an unlimited licensing strategy. We knew would grow in the coming years. So initially, we took a plan which had no limit. After a year or so the strategy changed and we were being limited to 105 licenses, that was the minimum. So that affected us. If there was flexibility for increasing the number of licenses that would be great because you never know how much you are going to grow in the next year.

To start, we took 20 or 30 licenses and then we went to 70 and now we are at 105. If there was flexibility, that I could grow as much as I need, so I could take 20 more tomorrow, and 30 the next month, that would help. But I don't think that it is the case right now.

When we thought of doing this we looked at other solutions as well but, cost-wise, Parallels was on the positive side, so that is the reason we went ahead with Parallels.

What other advice do I have?

The implementation could be a bit complex because it is not a normal solution. It is not just a plug and play. But once it starts it is pretty easy to manage. The software is not that complicated, it is pretty easy to use.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10. If I had a local support person to talk to I would definitely give it a 10.

it_user881112
      Network Administrator
      Robust, provides multiple users with access to multiple programs without lag

• "It is robust. We have some 75 users using it and it doesn't lag. It's very speedy."
      • "Since I've been here less than a year, I have had to upgrade the system three times. The first time was the major upgrade but they have upgraded twice since, and I think that's too many times in that time span."

What is our primary use case?

We needed to access multiple programs, for multiple users, and it's like a virtual session that does that.

How has it helped my organization?

We would not be able to function without it.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

One area which I would say needs a lot of improvement: Since I've been here less than a year, I have had to upgrade the system three times. The first time was the major upgrade but they have upgraded twice since, and I think that's too many times in that time span. I'm the only one doing IT, so I have over 75 users that I actually have to touch every time they upgrade, which is a lot of work.

I would roll up the updates in a group, rather than as they come out.

Less than one year.

I encountered an issue with stability once, with licensing. For some odd reason, after I upgraded to the current version, the 15.2, it lost its license, so I had to get a temporary license to get my users up and running. They had to figure out why I couldn't hold on to my current license that I had just bought.

When it's stable, it's stable. I would say 90 to close to 100 percent of the time it's stable, it's right on the mark. When it goes down, since my whole user community uses it, every user in my company is down. When it's working, it's working great and I don't get any phone calls. When it's down, everyone in the company, as I said, is down, they only have email. Every other software package goes through the Parallel, so it's a big impact.

Scalability is pretty good. There's a small delay, but that could be the server, the amount that we're pushing through it. But it's pretty good in scalability.

Tech support seems good, and they seem very accommodating in time. Whatever time I want to work on it, they are there.

Tech support helped me upgrade it to the current version. It was pretty much straightforward.

Pricing is a little steep, but I really couldn't go to anyone else because it is so integrated into our system.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework. Call, see if you can speak to three customers who use it and get their opinion. Also get three different quotes, or three similar products, and see how they work.

I would rate it an eight out of 10. As I said, when it's stable it's stable, it's very good. I find in the last year there were just too many upgrades. I still have an upgrade facing me now, and I haven't upgraded the main server because that means I have to go around to all the workstations.

it_user879246
      Senior System Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Client compatibility with many systems makes it very versatile, reporting is awesome

• "Client compatibility with many systems makes it very versatile. The reporting that is included is awesome."
      • "The customization of the web interface could possibly use some improvement. Little things, like being able to place a background image instead of just choosing from a palette of colors, would be nice."
      • "We would like to be able to re-label the OTP (One Time Password) popup so our users can easily recognize that they are to put in their DUO code on that line. Most users see OTP and ask what that is."
      • "We would like the ability to provide a popup message, such as a maintenance notification. That same notification on the Parallels client would be awesome."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for remote access to applications.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been much easier to manage and has provided us with faster performance than Citrix.

What is most valuable?

Client compatibility with many systems makes it very versatile. The reporting that is included is awesome.

What needs improvement?

The customization of the web interface could possibly use some improvement. Little things, like being able to place a background image instead of just choosing from a palette of colors, would be nice.

We would also like the ability to provide a popup message, such as a maintenance notification. That same notification on the Parallels client would be awesome.

No issues with scalability.

We have not needed to call in or create a tech support ticket.

We previously used Citrix, and we switched due to price, performance, and ease of management.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Just compare it to Citrix and you will see the value in it.

We evaluated the newer version of Citrix as well as MS Remote Desktop Services.

What other advice do I have?

Just try it out.

it_user524217
      CIO at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Allows us to publish apps for OS-specific clients, supports single sign-on and MFA protocols

• "Allows us to publish applications accessible by current-generation HTML5 browser or OS-specific client (Windows, Android, iOS), and it supports popular single sign-on and multi-factor authentication protocols."
      • "Setup was straightforward. Our particular use case involved an Active Directory forest involving two data centers and three domains. User authentication against Active Directory was the easiest to set up and validate of any application installed in the last three years."
      • "Improvement is needed in performance monitoring of the client's endpoint, and automatic re-connection of the client in the event of circuit disruptions (this works well generally but can present challenges)."

What is our primary use case?

Alternative to Windows RDS (terminal services) supporting internal staff and remote access.

How has it helped my organization?

Simplifies external connections with community-based organizations by allowing us to publish applications to them, accessible by current-generation HTML5 browser or OS-specific client (Windows, Android, iOS), and supporting popular single sign-on and multi-factor authentication protocols.

What is most valuable?

Comparable performance to Citrix for our use case at a significantly lower cost. Straightforward installation and capable management front-end.

No issues with stability.

None so far, but we plan a major expansion toward the end of 2018.

We have not needed much technical support. We generally find what we need in the provided documentation or the user forums. When we have requested help, the response has been consistent with other vendors of this type (we are not on an expedited service plan).

I have used Citrix in previous organizations with good results but I lacked the budget to acquire Citrix for this implementation.

Pricing is clear and there are relatively few options or other pricing considerations when compared to similar products. Just be sure not to forget the Microsoft licensing that goes along with a Parallels deployment.

Citrix, Windows RDS.

What other advice do I have?

Take advantage of the trial version so that you can check out its feature set first-hand, get a sense of its performance on your hardware and over your network.

it_user879249
      Systems Administrator at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Easy to install agent, publish apps, but doesn't enable me to see what app a user is using

• "Ease of use in publishing apps and installing the agent. The Interface is fairly intuitive after some tinkering. Although I inherited the app only two-thirds deployed, I was able to complete the deployment and service it over the last year without referring to any documentation."
      • "Valuable features include the ability to set up security groups for accessing certain apps, and the ability to add apps easily and centrally without touching the servers they’re hosted on."
      • "Opening a ticket should be available from the actual RAS console. It is cumbersome to go to a portal, hunt around for five minutes for a link to open a ticket, answer questions meant to direct you towards FAQs instead of live support, then fill out information (license #, version #, etc.) which could more easily be supplied by sending a ticket straight from the console with all of that information automatically specified."
      • "Currently in the RD Session Hosts – Sessions section, I can see what server a user is logged into but not what app he is using. Being able to do so would be immensely helpful when a non-technical user is complaining of issues, but I can’t tell which app he is using, and he is actually logged into multiple servers since they serve multiple apps."

What is our primary use case?

Remote app.

How has it helped my organization?

Enables deployment of remote apps from a central location.

What is most valuable?

Other valuable features include the ability to set up security groups for accessing certain apps, the ability to add apps easily and centrally without touching the servers they’re hosted on. There are other features which we have not taken advantage of yet, but I’m sure will prove useful.

What needs improvement?

• Customer support
      • Ease of end-user use

No issues with scalability.

I would rate my experience with tech support as "middling" - difficult to open a ticket, and support is located on the opposite side of the world, so schedules don't mesh.

Work with the vendor, as this is a fairly new product and they want use cases. Deals can be made.

What other advice do I have?

Test extensively, especially with custom-built apps, as these can have issues, though overall the experience is smooth.

it_user877116
      Founder and CEO at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
      Reseller
      Enables us to seamlessly distribute applications to users' desktops

• "It permits us to control the applications that our users are able to get to, in a seamless manner. We're able to distribute applications to users' desktops, just like those applications are on each user's computer, but they're not."

What is our primary use case?

It is our primary remote access solution for remote desktop.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• Easy to install
        • Super stable
        • Easy to manage

What needs improvement?

It's a really good product. There's not a lot that needs improving, and we're on an older version. I imagine the newer versions are better but we have not had a single need to improve anything.

No issues with scalability.

We have asked for help from tech support and their service was good.

Citrix. We switched because Citrix is complicated and expensive.

We had them assist us with the setup and I think that's important. When rolling out a product like this, the vendor should want to help implement, so it's implemented correctly. We used them to implement it, and that's the way it's been running since we started.

I think the new pricing is a little bit high. If the price was lower, we could use it for many more customers. If there was one improvement to be made to this product, it would be a small-business version, at a much lower price point.

Licensing should always, in my opinion, be on a per-user, per-month basis. I would like to be able to add one user, take one user off. That would be the ideal, to be able to supply this as a service.

Citrix and the native Microsoft Remote Desktop. The latter is very hard it is to install, and makes us mad.

What other advice do I have?

Everything can be improved, so I give it an eight out of 10. It does everything we need it to do, it's stable; with the caveat that there is no perfect solution.

If you're doing a thin-client environment, where you want to publish applications, then of all the products on the market right now, this is the product to use.

James-Russell
        Professional Services at a tech services company
        Provides a stable, reliable client gateway for access to our cloud platform

What is our primary use case?

We are an MSP and use Parallels RAS as the client gateway for accessing our cloud platform.

How has it helped my organization?

Allows staff to work from anywhere with an internet connection, on just about any connected device.

What is most valuable?

Stability and reliability. Because our clients use this as the way to access their work every day, and we use it to support them, we need to know it won't let us or them down.

What needs improvement?

We have been working with the Parallels team on some printing issues and are hopeful they will be resolved in the next patch release.

We only encountered a stability issue with version 13 but that was quickly updated and repaired.

No scalability issues so far. We have supported thousands of concurrent users.

Technical support has always been great. They will work through any issue until it is resolved and have been very knowledgeable about their product. We have seen a number of issues we have raised over the years become features or fixes in the next update.

Citrix and native RDS. Citrix was more costly for a product that was no better and RDS has had a number of limitations over the years.

Initial setup was straightforward. If you have a multi-site farm and multiple levels of redundancy, it does add complexity, but less than any other products I have used.

The pricing has always been competitive, and the new SPLA licensing model works great for our business and clients.

Citrix, MS RDS, and Ericom Blaze. We also do keep an eye on the other products in the market to make sure we are always providing the best solution for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

Install a demo and give it a go. It is very quick and will generally be all you need to be converted to a user of Parallels RAS.

Manager of System Security at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
        I have been using 2X for a while...
        It almost two years that I have been familiar with 2X ApplicationServer XG. 2X ApplicationServer XG is one the best and easiest software to implement a Private Cloud organization. Your users will simply get use to it and work with it. You can reduce your network support costs up to 80 percent. 2X is quick and easy to install. With a variety of devices compatibility such as smart phones, tablets, Facebook apps, thin clients & ... users can make use of it. It is the best tool for teleworking. R&D Group of 2X is ever expanding and enhancing its facilities. Cost and feature comparison of 2X Application Server vs Citrix XenApp 6: http://lukenbaugh.com/archives/271 Unfortunately 2x prices in the Middle East region is 25 percent higher than world prices, and it is incomprehensible for…

It almost two years that I have been familiar with 2X ApplicationServer XG.
        Your users will simply get use to it and work with it.
        You can reduce your network support costs up to 80 percent.
        2X is quick and easy to install.
        It is the best tool for teleworking.
        R&D Group of 2X is ever expanding and enhancing its facilities.
        Cost and feature comparison of 2X Application Server vs Citrix XenApp 6:
        Unfortunately 2x prices in the Middle East region is 25 percent higher than world prices, and it is incomprehensible for me!

it_user4314
        IT Administrator at a government with 501-1,000 employees
        Very fast, easy to setup and manage.

Valuable Features:

Very fast, easy to setup and manage. Works great on Android and IOS. Amazing.

Room for Improvement:

None that I can find. So far this product is working great.

Valuable Features:

Very fast, easy to setup and manage. Works great on Android and IOS. Amazing.

Room for Improvement:

None that I can find. So far this product is working great.
        it_user4266
        IT Administrator at a local government with 501-1,000 employees
        Great Product - does anybody run Terminal Server without 2X (-:

Valuable Features:

very good value for money easy administration sehr stabile Product painless Application deployment

Room for Improvement:

delegation in 2X Console currently accepts User Accounts only, please Add delegation for AD Groups.We started with 2X App Server Version 6. The development of the 2X App Server made many Great steps (eg. Universal Printing, Universal Scanning, VDI and so on). In our current environment, we use 2X to bring the different Apps from our TS Farm (6 Terminalservers - 2 Gateways) to our Users. Our users distributet over about 15 Sites and all Applications are hosted in our Main-Site. I never had any big Problems with 2X. It does what it should, it works! Support Team at 2X does a realy good Job. The Documentation is o.k. but in the Blog there are really good tips. Updates on the 2X Server are painless at all. Thank you 2X for such a great Product that makes my work much easier!

Other Advice:

If you have Terminalservers (or Remote Desktop Session Host) and you haven't 2X, then go buy it.