Pentaho Business Analytics Overview

Pentaho Business Analytics is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Operations Analytics tools. It is most often compared to Knowage: Pentaho Business Analytics vs Knowage

What is Pentaho Business Analytics?

Pentaho is an open source business intelligence company that provides a wide range of tools to help their customers better manage their businesses. These tools include data integration software, mining tools, dashboard applications, online analytical processing options, and more.

Pentaho has two product categories: There is the standard enterprise version. This is the product that comes directly from Pentaho itself with all of the benefits, features, and programs that come along with a paid application such us analysis services, dashboard design, and interactive reporting.

The alternative is an open source version, which the public is permitted to add to and tweak the product. This solution has its advantages, aside from the fact that it is free, in that there are many more people working on the project to improve its quality and breadth of functionality.

Pentaho Business Analytics is also known as Pentaho, Kettle, Hitachi Pentaho Business Analytics.

Download the Business Intelligence (BI) Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: March 2021

Pentaho Business Analytics Customers

Cargo 2000 Lufthansa, Marketo, ModCloth, Cardiac Science, Telefonica, ExactTarget, Active Broadband Networks, and Brussels Airport.

Pentaho Business Analytics Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

it_user798240
Identity and Access Management Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Jan 24, 2018
Easy to install, easy to use, the free edition meets our needs

What is most valuable?

Easy to use components to create the job.

What needs improvement?

Logging capability. Version control would be a good addition.

A lot of time jobs get stuck, causing them to lock out and fail to run, until we kill them.

I  have not needed to scale this product so far.

Open community, you can find good responses at a high level for the free edition. I have not used the commercial version which includes support.

This is first solution I have used and I like it.

How was

it_user736950
Director Tecnologia
Sep 17, 2017
Increases productivity and lowers costs, though should improve the construction of its dashboards

• "I use the BI Server, CDE Dashboards, Saiku, and Kettle, because these tools are very good and highly experienced."
  • "Pentaho, at the general level, should greatly improve the easy construction of its dashboards and easy integration of information from different sources without technical user intervention."

What other advice do I have?

Hire specialized support for Pentaho. If customers want a professional tool and have the money, they should invest in the enterprise version of Pentaho or hire a company from your country specializing in Pentaho with high experience.
Find out what your peers are saying about Hitachi, Knowage, Tableau and others in Business Intelligence (BI) Tools. Updated: March 2021.
476,892 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user505383
Director at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Feb 23, 2017
Helps us build decision supported systems.

What other advice do I have?

Have a global and corporate design in mind. However, start with a particular area, small and well-defined.
it_user407343
Pentaho Specialist/Free Software Expert at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Aug 17, 2016
One has only to enable the jobs and transformation to take advantage of PDI's clustering abilities.

What other advice do I have?

Pentaho has a huge potential to deliver quite a lot of BI value. But on those days when BI is regarded as a simple multidimensional analytics tools, it seems a bit bloated and off the mark. It is so because Pentaho is not aimed to be flashy and eye-pleasing for a commomplace reporting monger (reporting is the farthest you can get from BI and still smell like it), and it requires a bit of strategy to allow for ROI. If you are looking for tools for immediate, prompt, beautifull remmedy, Pentaho might not be your pick. But if you know what you want to acomplish, go on and try it.
it_user414204
Reporting and Big Data Analyst (BI Development and Data Science) at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Mar 29, 2016
It has ​helped us form great visualizations at practically no cost since we built end to end open source architecture.

What other advice do I have?

Research it and know your needs.
it_user409920
Product Analyst at a recruiting/HR firm with 51-200 employees
Mar 23, 2016
It enabled seamless data movement from one system to another. ​Debugging and logging needs to improve.

What other advice do I have?

The tool is easy to implement, but it needs technical acumen to do so. In other words although it look like a simple drag and drop kind of tool, it can be fairly complex.
it_user386076
Researcher/Data Scientist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Mar 17, 2016
The data integration feature is the most valuable feature for us.

Valuable Features:

The data integration feature is the most valuable feature for us.

Improvements to My Organization:

We've used Pentaho since 2007 in many open source business intelligence projects.

Room for Improvement:

The dashboards and reports could use more improvement to show more data and to provide more analysis.

Use of Solution:

We've used it since 2007.

Deployment Issues:

We haven't had any issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We haven't had any issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We haven't had any issues with scalability.

Initial Setup:

It's straightforward and we haven't really encountered complexities in the initial setup that we can't handle.
it_user386706
Senior Consultant at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 14, 2016
The Data Integration graphical drag and drop design is easy for new users to follow and can increase productivity.

What other advice do I have?

Pentaho offers a community edition which is an open source solution and can be downloaded for free. The community edition truly gives most companies everything they need but your solution needs are matched with your business needs. As a cost cutting option Enterprise license fees can be paid to vendors to fund in demand support.
it_user388308
Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Mar 2, 2016
It’s user-friendly when using it for a small dataset.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a comprehensive BA tool including ETL and reporting. It’s easy to use with a small dataset, but you will need to dig deep to optimize the performance when the data set is huge.
it_user394521
Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Feb 25, 2016
CDE dashboards are valuable. It's not flexible for an enterprise database.

Valuable Features

Spoon Schema work bench CDE dashboards Client budget

Improvements to My Organization

License cost has come down Easy maintenance

Room for Improvement

It's not flexible for an enterprise database.

Use of Solution

I've used it for four and a half years.

Deployment is easy but upgrading is an issue.

There are no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues with scaling it.

Customer Service: 7/10 Technical Support: 7/10
it_user394440
Data Scientist at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 25, 2016
It became a lot easier for our developers to switch between or join the different development projects.

What other advice do I have?

As mentioned before, there is a great community of users, developers and other enthusiasts which I recommend to consult for your particular use-case. Check the latest Gartner report (2016) about BI vendors and ultimately visit one of the Pentaho Community Meetups to get more insight.
it_user54702
Sr. Business Intelligence Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 23, 2016
​We were able to configure our data warehouse and implement more than eight data cubes in a very short period of time.

What other advice do I have?

Pentaho is a good choice for Unix/Linux environments. The integration tool is quite good. The configuration for cubes is quite simple (XML) and it is very simple to configure dimensions, factual and calculated data. although, we use a Mondrian emulator (Sinatra) for our solution implementation.
it_user384369
Programmer Analyst at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Feb 21, 2016
Big Data plugins and connectors are available by default.

What other advice do I have?

Since there are very few skilled people available on the market, we had to risk the project.
it_user383829
Founder and Business Intelligence Consultant at Know Solutions
Feb 16, 2016
It helps me to create new BI environments for my customers.

Valuable Features

Business analytics CDE Flexible dashboard development Cube

Improvements to My Organization

I use Pentaho everyday in my company, creating new BI environments for my customers.

Room for Improvement

The ad-hoc reporting needs to be improved.

There were no deployment issues.

There have been no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues with the scalability.

I've never had to use technical support.

It was easy, and only took a few minutes.

Other Advice

You should always check the community version first as it may be better for you.
it_user384822
Programmer Analyst at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Feb 14, 2016
Pentaho BA server is supported by CDE (Common Dashboard Editor) to create a responsive Dashboard which can used in Mobile. Mobile Responsiveness of BA server should be improved.

Valuable Features:

Pentaho Business Analytics tool provides ETL. Easy creation of Analyser, interactive & attractive dashboards. Pentaho BA server is supported by CDE (Common Dashboard Editor) to create responsive Dashboard which can used in Mobile.

Improvements to My Organization:

Organizing the data & representing data with Graphical view gives an insight on the data.

Room for Improvement:

Mobile Responsiveness of BA server should be improved. Analyser and interactive Dashboard should be accessible via Dashboard.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

It's been stable for us.

Scalability Issues:

It scales without issues.
it_user384954
Data Modeller and Pentaho Integration Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 9, 2016
It covers most of our ETL requirements. It relies heavily on Java caching and sometimes it causes issues.​

What is most valuable?

It's free and easy to use. You can actually explain it to any non-ETL developer.

How has it helped my organization?

It covers most of our ETL requirements.

What needs improvement?

There are issues with Java code and sometimes we have to fix it or apply work around.

I've been using it for two years.

There are issues with clustering, and partitioning which we have reported.

It relies heavily on Java caching and sometimes it causes issues.

Customer Service: 7/10 Technical Support: 7/10

I…
CS
Chandu Sekhar
Jaspersoft BI Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Leaderboard
Feb 9, 2016
​It helped in managing the data from different sources into one unique target.​ I would like to see what code the report tool generates.

What is most valuable?

Pentaho data integration Most of the ETL stuff can be done with minimal coding Reporting capabilities

How has it helped my organization?

It helped in managing the data from different sources into one unique target.

What needs improvement?

In the reporting tool, I would like to see what code it generates. As of now, there is no provision to see the underlying code of the PRD file.

I've used it for one year.

There have been no issues with deployment.

There have been no stability issues.

There have been no issues scaling it.

How are customer

it_user375249
Senior Software Engineer - Alfresco, Liferay, Pentaho at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 27, 2016
It's helped us with the integration of Big Data.
it_user149460
CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Oct 26, 2015
R Script needs work. Provides good dashboards for non-IT users.

Valuable Features:

- Correct URL integration - Excelent Look & Feel - Good Dashboards integration with Bootstrap

Improvements to My Organization:

- Senior management dashboard - Pentaho Reporting and CDF integration

Room for Improvement:

- R Script

Use of Solution:

6 months
it_user210372
Product Owner of Business Intelligence at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Oct 19, 2015
We found workarounds to a couple of issues, but we spend too much time dealing with them. We're now evaluating other solutions.
With Pentaho we ran into a couple of issues - Multi-tenancy capability issues. We've found workarounds to the issues but our developers need to spend a great amount of time dealing with them. We're looking to expand our product offering to our customers and we'd like to have the ability to give them better access to their data. Pentaho isn't proving to be a great solution for our needs. Development time is currently too long for developing basic charts, dashboards and reports. All of these basic items take a long time to develop when using Pentaho. This costs us money and time. Part of these issues is due to the fact that Pentaho documentation is pretty limited. We need to go ad hoc and pay a lot for additional training. There aren't many help files for our developers. We're…
it_user149460
CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Aug 10, 2015
Fast Development (Agile BI), Good Charts and Visualization, Good Security, Good User Interface

What is most valuable?

Pentaho Analyzer (EE) Saiku (CE) Marketplace (CE) R (EE and CE) Community Dashboard Framework (CE) Dashboard Editor (EE)

How has it helped my organization?

Powerful Analytics, Fast KPI Analysis

4 Years

Integration with GeoServer (Specially ShapeFiles Layers on Maps)

None

Migrate old version of Reports (.prpt) to a new version

Customer Service: 5/10 Technical Support: 9/10

Yes, QlikView.

Difficulty:…
it_user164988
Senior Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 24, 2015
A few steps in PDI can be fine tuned, but has enabled our clients and their users to make calculated decisions.

What other advice do I have?

If budget is a constraint, then Pentaho is a very good option. If budget is not an issue , then paid BI tools can be easily considered. Pentaho is leader in open source technology but still may not match paid BI tools.
it_user165039
Senior Software Engineer - BI at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 5, 2015
With the help of the Data Analysis tool, decisions are very easy but Data Mining needs improvement

What is most valuable?

The ability to maintain historical data.

How has it helped my organization?

For decision purposes, it serves the information to managers to so they can make proper decisions using the data. With the help of the Data Analysis tool, decisions are very easy.

What needs improvement?

Populating Cube Data Mining

Four months.

Yes we did.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 9 out of 10. Technical Support: 7 out of 10.

Which solution did I use previously and why did I

it_user175566
CIO at a wellness & fitness company with 51-200 employees
Dec 25, 2014
The initial setup of the tool is very simple and the product is fairly simple.

What other advice do I have?

A very important aspect of performance is the choice of the database to house the data warehouse. I recommend investing time in deciding the engine and architecture. We recommend using oriented columns engines.
it_user173703
IT Consultant at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Dec 18, 2014
Creating your own plugin is very easy with Pentaho

Valuable Features

I really like Pentaho Data Integration, an ETL tool that makes your Extract, Transform and Load process easy, with rich functionality and nice design tools. And, for some reason creating your own plugin is very easy.

Use of Solution

I have been use this product for about 3 years.

No, I did not encounter any issues with deployment so far, deployment process very straight forward.

No, I didn't. For each release Pentaho has good stability

I haven't explored much on scalability, but they have scalabity capability.

For most of the time, I usually use Pentaho forums and the response from the Pentaho community is very good.

The set-up is very…
it_user165003
IT Manager at a transportation company with 51-200 employees
Nov 30, 2014
In terms of functionality, they're not growing as fast as other companies. It's good for showing the need for BI.

What other advice do I have?

For me, Pentaho is not growing in terms of functionality, as fast as other companies in the same segment. The UI falls short and for more complex solutions, it’s necessary to have good developers. However, being an Open Source solution, I think it allows IT departments to show with low investment the importance of BI for the company.
it_user165921
Database Analyst at a government with 51-200 employees
Nov 27, 2014
Working on poverty alleviation in Indonesia, this tool has improved the ability of policy makers to make good decisions.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm working on poverty alleviation in Indonesia; this tool has improved the ability to make good decisions for policy makers.

3 years.

Sometimes I had problems, but the problems could be settled within a brief amount of time.

No issues.

No issues with scalability.

This is an open source application and gets the full support of the community.

No, when i joined the office I immediately began using Pentaho.

How was the

it_user164859
Data Warehouse Specialist at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
Nov 23, 2014
More built-in features could improve the solution, but everything related to ETL is valuable.

What is most valuable?

Everything related to ETL.

How has it helped my organization?

It has provided the ability to successfully integrate many different systems into one big data warehouse.

What needs improvement?

More built-in features, better version control integration, online tutorials.

4 years.

No problems.

Yes, sometimes the subprocesses keep running even though the main process is stopped.

Customer Service: Good. Technical Support: Less than average.

Which solution did I use previously and why

Feb 4, 2014
Pentaho BI Suite Review: Final Thoughts – Part 6 of 6
Introduction This is the last of a six-part review of the Pentaho BI suite. In each part of the review, we will take a look at the components that make up the BI suite, according to how they would be used in the real world. Data Mining In this sixth part, originally, I'd like to at least touch on the only part of Pentaho BI Suite we have not talked about before: Data Mining. However as I gather my materials, I realized that Data Mining (along with its ilks: Machine Learning, Predictive Analysis, etc.) is too big of a topic to fit in the space that we have here. Even if I try, the usefulness would be limited at best since at the moment, while the result is being used to solve real-world problems, the usage of Data Mining tools is still exclusively within the realm of data…
it_user76890
Engineer at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
Dec 26, 2013
It does a lot of what we need but off-the-shelf solutions often can’t do exactly what you need
Being in the business of online-to-offline ad attribution and advertising analytics, we need tools to help us analyze billions of records to discover interesting insights for our clients. One of the tools we use is Pentaho, an open source business intelligence platform that allows us to manage, transform, and explore our data. It offers some nice GUI tools, can be quickly set up on top of existing data, and has the advantage of being on our home team. But for all the benefits of Pentaho, making it work for us has required tweaking and in some cases replacing Pentaho with other solutions. Don’t take this the wrong way: we like Pentaho, and it does a lot of what we need. But at the edges, any off-the-shelf solution often can’t do exactly what you need. Perhaps the…
Dec 12, 2013
Pentaho BI Suite Review: Dashboards – Part 5 of 6
Introduction This is the fifth of a six-part review of the Pentaho BI suite. In each part of the review, we will take a look at the components that make up the BI suite, according to how they would be used in the real world. In this fifth part, we'll be discussing how to create useful and meaningful dashboards using the tools available to us in the Pentaho BI Suite. As a complete Data Warehouse building tool, Pentaho offers the most important aspect for delivering enterprise-class dashboards, namely Access Control List (ACL). A dashboard-creation tool without this ability to limit dashboards access to a particular group or role within the company is missing a crucial feature, something that we cannot recommend to our clients. On the Enterprise Edition (EE) version 5.0,…
Oct 22, 2013
Pentaho BI Suite Review: Pentaho Analytics – Part 4 of 6
Introduction This is the fourth of a six-part review of the Pentaho BI suite. In each part of the review, we will take a look at the components that make up the BI suite, according to how they would be used in the real world. In this fourth part, we'll be discussing the Pentaho Analytics tools and facilities, which provides the ability to view, “slice and dice” data from multiple dimensions. This particular feature is the most associated with the word “Business Intelligence” due to its usefulness to aid cross-data-domain decision-making processes. Any decent BI suites have at least one facility with which users can perform data analysis with. One important note, specifically for Pentaho, the Analytics toolset is where the real advantage of the Enterprise…
Aug 26, 2013
Pentaho BI Suite Review: Pentaho Reporting – Part 3 of 6
This is the third of a six-part review of the Pentaho BI suite. In each part of the review, we will take a look at the components that make up the BI suite, according to how they would be used in the real world. In this third part, we'll be discussing the tools and facilities, with which all of the reports are designed, generated, and served. A full BI suite should have a few reporting facilities that are usable by users with different level of technical/database knowledge. Why is this important? Because in the real world, owners of data (people who consume the reports to make various business decisions) ranges from accountants, customer account managers, supply-chain managers, C-level executives, manufacturing managers, etc. Notice that proficiency in…
it_user6855
CEO with 51-200 employees
Top Reviewer
Jul 7, 2013
Very capable suite of BI, reporting, and data mining tools with sophisticated functionality
Verdict: This is a very capable suite of BI, reporting, and data mining tools with sophisticated functionality, and will address the needs of many organisations. Pentaho BI Suite Community Edition (CE) includes ETL, OLAP, metadata, data mining, reporting and dashboards. This is a very broad capability and forms the basis for the commercial offering provided by Pentaho. A variety of open source solutions are brought together to deliver the functionality including Weka for data mining, Kettle for data integration, Mondrian for OLAP and several others to address reporting, BI, dashboards, OLAP analytics and big data. The Pentaho BI platform provides the environment for building BI solutions and includes authentication, a rules engine and web services. It includes a solution engine that…
Jun 24, 2013
Pentaho BI Suite Review: Pentaho BI Server – Part 2 of 6
Introduction This is the second of a six-part review of the Pentaho BI suite. In each part of the review, we will take a look at the components that make up the BI suite, according to how they would be used in the real world. In this second part, we'll be discussing the Pentaho BI Server from which all of the reports, dashboards, and analytic tools are served to the users. A BI suite usually has a central place where users log in using their assigned credentials. In this case, the server is a standalone web server (an Apache Tomcat instance) that is augmented by various tools that provides the functionalities – most of these tools are written by Webdetails (webdetails.pt). We'll visit these tools in subsequent review parts, for now, let's focus on the server itself. In…
Jun 7, 2013
Pentaho BI Suite Review: PDI – Part 1 of 6
Introduction The Pentaho BI Suite is one of the more comprehensive BI suite that is also available as an Open Source project (the Community Edition). Interestingly, the absence of license fees is far from being the only factor in choosing this particular tool to build your Data Warehouses (OLAP systems). This is the first of a six-part review of the BI suite. In each part of the review, we will take a look at the components that make up the BI suite, according to how they would be used in the real world. In this first part, we'll be discussing the Pentaho Data Integration (from here on will be referred to as PDI) which is the ETL tool that comes with the suite. An ETL tool is the means with which you input data from various sources – typically out of some transactional systems, then…
Download our free Business Intelligence (BI) Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Hitachi, Knowage, Tableau, and more!