Pentaho Data Integration Overview

Pentaho Data Integration is the #16 ranked solution in our list of top Data Integration Tools. It is most often compared to Talend Open Studio: Pentaho Data Integration vs Talend Open Studio

What is Pentaho Data Integration?

Pentaho data integration prepares and blends data to create a complete picture of your business that drives actionable insights. The complete data integration platform delivers accurate, "analytics ready" data to end users from any source. With visual tools to eliminate coding and complexity, Pentaho puts big data and all data sources at the fingertips of business and IT users alike.

Pentaho Data Integration is also known as Kettle.

Pentaho Data Integration Buyer's Guide

Download the Pentaho Data Integration Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Pentaho Data Integration Customers
66Controls, Providential Revenue Agency of Ro Negro, NOAA Information Systems, Swiss Real Estate Institute
Pentaho Data Integration Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Pentaho Data Integration pricing:
  • "Sometimes we provide the licenses or the customer can procure their own licenses. Previously, we had an enterprise license. Currently, we are on a community license as this is adequate for our needs."
  • "The price of the regular version is not reasonable and it should be lower."

VD
Specialist in Relational Databases and Nosql at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Free to use, easy to set up, and has a great metadata injection feature

What is our primary use case?

The most common use for the solution is gathering data from our databases or files in order to gather them into a different database. Another common use is to compare data between different databases. Due to a lack of integrity, you can attach these to synchronization issues.

• "The solution has a free to use community version."
  • "It's not very stable, at least not in the case of the community edition. I'm working with the community edition right now and I think perhaps it is because of that it is not very stable, it causes the system to sometimes hang. I'm not sure if this is the case for pair tiers."

What other advice do I have?

We're just users of the solution. We don't have a professional relationship with the company. The solution is great to use and easy to share with teams via the central repository. It's very functional overall. I'd recommend the solution to other companies. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
VM
Technical Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Quite simple to learn and there is a lot of information available online

What is our primary use case?

We have an event planning system, which enables us to obtain a large report. It includes data Mart or data warehouse data. This is where we take data from the IT online system and pass it to the data warehouse. Then, from the data warehouse, they generate reports. We have 6 developers who are using the Panel Data Integrator, but there are no end users. We deploy the product, and the customer uses it for reporting. We have one person who undertakes a regular maintenance activity when it is required.

• "Pentaho Data Integration is quite simple to learn, and there is a lot of information available online."
  • "I'm still in the very recent stage concerning Pentaho Data Integration, but it can't really handle what I describe as "extreme data processing" i.e. when there is a huge amount of data to process. That is one area where Pentaho is still lacking."

What other advice do I have?

For newcomers to the product, it is best to start with something simple. You can then scale it up fast as it is not a steep learning curve. If somebody wants to set up a good inbound integration platform, they can use the Panel Data Integrator. It's really simple and easy to use. The online community really helps you with numerous issues, such as licensing and a lot of other things. I would rate Pentaho Data Integration 8 out of 10.
Learn what your peers think about Pentaho Data Integration. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Oscar Mejia
IT-Services Manager & Solution Architect at Stratis
Free to use, easy to set up, and has great UI

What is our primary use case?

We basically receive information from our clients via Excel. We take this information and transform it in order to create some data marks. With this information, on these processes we are running right now, we receive new data every day. The solution processes the Excels and creates a data mark for them. While we read the data and transform it as well as put it in a database, in order to explore the information, we need an analytics solution for that - and that is typically Microsoft's solution, Power BI.

• "It's my understanding that the product can scale."
  • "The product needs more plugins."

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant and an end-user. I downloaded the latest version of the solution. I can't speak to the version number. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.
AG
Assistant General Manager at DTDC Express Limited
Scales well with data and processes, but the cost should be lower and real-time processing capabilities improved

What is our primary use case?

We are using just the simple features of this product. We're using it as a data warehouse and then for building dimensions.

• "The amount of data that it loads and processes is good."
  • "I would like to see improvements made for real-time data processing."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is researching this product is that if they want to do batch processing, then this is a good choice. The amount of data that it loads and processes is good. Based on the features that I have used and my experience, I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.