PeopleSoft OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

PeopleSoft is #1 ranked solution in top Demand Management tools, #2 ranked solution in top Activity Based Costing Software, #2 ranked solution in top Benefits Administration tools, #2 ranked solution in top Talent Management tools, #2 ranked solution in top Talent Acquisition tools, and #4 ranked solution in top ERP tools. IT Central Station users give PeopleSoft an average rating of 8 out of 10. PeopleSoft is most commonly compared to Oracle HCM Cloud:PeopleSoft vs Oracle HCM Cloud. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 32% of all views.
What is PeopleSoft?
Oracle's PeopleSoft applications are designed to address the most complex business requirements. They provide comprehensive business and industry solutions, enabling organizations to increase productivity, accelerate business performance, and provide a lower cost of ownership.
PeopleSoft Buyer's Guide

Download the PeopleSoft Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

PeopleSoft Customers
BMI Healthcare, Lone Star College System, Jefferson County Public Schools, Griffith University, Los Rios Community College District, Tervita Corporation, INFRA S.A. de C.V., ICF Habitat, Central Washington University, Tech Mahindra Limited, Cognizant Technology Solutions, Stanford Childrens Health
PeopleSoft Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about PeopleSoft pricing:
  • "We are a University and the cost and license are negotiated privately."
  • "There are no additional costs for licensing."

PeopleSoft Reviews

BN
Regional Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Mature with a variety of features and multiple use cases

• "It's a mature product."
  • "The biggest disadvantage with things like PeopleSoft is that they do continuous support and fixes and upgrades. You get to choose when you want to implement that upgrade. However, in order to keep up, you have to upgrade."

What is our primary use case?

We're a consulting company, therefore, we get involved in all kinds of use cases.

PeopleSoft is used for usually larger organizations and some middle tier. However, usually, organizations that are maybe 2000 employees or two and a half billion dollars or more tend to be users. They use it primarily for back-office systems, finance supply chain, human resources, payroll benefits, that kind of stuff. That includes recruiting and everything associated with HCM. It's one of the primary ERP systems.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it's wide and broad and it does about everything anybody needs in a major organization from a back-office systems point of view.

It's a mature product. I've been using it since 1994. It came out maybe a few years before that. It's matured over the years to where, from a back-office system point of view in those primary areas, if you want an all-inclusive system, you can do almost anything you need to do with PeopleSoft without having to buy other third party systems to bolt on to it.

They continue to improve and support the product. The latest announcement was that they're going to continue to support it through 2032. However, every year they add a year or two to that. They confirm their outgoing support for 10 years almost every year.

What needs improvement?

It's a real contrast between things like Workday and Oracle cloud. The biggest challenge we see as consultants from an Oracle cloud and Workday point of view is that you cannot customize those systems to better fit your business processes. Companies that are smaller and that are less complex tend to go with Oracle and Workday. The big advantage there is they don't have to do any upgrades. However, they're almost forced into the changes if there are new versions for these cloud systems. The good news is you don't have to upgrade them. The bad news is it may not support all your business processes as you want. Therefore, you have to change your business processes to fit the software.

The biggest disadvantage with things like PeopleSoft is that they do continuous support and fixes and upgrades. You get to choose when you want to implement that upgrade. However, in order to keep up, you have to upgrade. The biggest challenge with PeopleSoft is it's a trade-off between feature functionality and the pain of going through those upgrades. And when you upgrade, you've got to do some work. You have to look at what's available in the new version, figure out whether we're going to use that or not, and turn it on or not. On top of that, it's got to go through an implementation process.

Most people do about one upgrade per year. Some people do two, and some people get way behind. However, in order to take advantage of what they buy and pay for, they need to really do probably at least one upgrade a year. And it's a minor upgrade. It's not the kind of upgrade we used to think of that people did once every five years that was almost a reimplementation. In upgrade terms, it's a minor upgrade, however, it is an upgrade.

The difference in PeopleSoft and cloud version is the trade-off between not being able to do any customization and being forced into upgrades almost monthly. You don't have a chance to take your time. You don't have a choice when you do it. It just happens.

Within the company, we've been dealing with PeopleSoft for 15 years. I personally have been dealing with PeopleSoft going back to 1994. I have many, many years of experience working with it.

I would say their tech support is good. I don't have a problem there. They've been doing this a long time, so they know how to do it.

I've also used SAP - and have about five years of experience with it.

The software comes with a fee, with a license fee. The upgrade software comes with a license fee. However, it takes their staff time and resources to go through that. Sometimes customers will hire a consultant firm like us to help them get through it. That would be an extra cost, technically speaking.

The cost varies by license and license type. Many times, it's so much per user, and depending on which software modules you're using. It depends on the modules you're using and how many users you have using that module.

Some people buy what may be called an enterprise-wide license, where it's not really based on the number of users. You get more of a flat cost for that and the users may not be impacted. I haven't gotten involved in that in a while, therefore, I'm not sure how it works.

What other advice do I have?

We're a PeopleSoft partner. We're primarily an Oracle and are a PeopleSoft consultancy where we implement and help people use the PeopleSoft systems. Now we're combining that with UiPath, and so most of the things we do are going to be PeopleSoft system related.

Having been in this business for 25 years or so, my biggest advice for PeopleSoft clients would be the same for any software client - that whenever they implement it, that they do it right and not try to do it cheaply.

Once they do it right, they will realize the benefit from doing it right forever, from then on. If they do it on the cheap to take shortcuts, they will pay the price for taking those shortcuts until they get around to making the investment to fix it. Customers are often a victim of themselves by trying to do it too cheap.

For example, I had one large enterprise client that asked their consulting firm how long it was going to take to put in PeopleSoft. They were putting in about everything PeopleSoft offers. It was a major implementation for the financial supply chain, human resources, payroll benefits, all that stuff. They had something like 130,000 people. It was a big, big corporation.

The consultant company came back and said, "Probably two years, maybe as soon as 18 months, but probably two years to get it implemented and into production from the time we actually start." The company came back and gave them six months, and the implementation was a disaster. The company tried to blame it on the consulting firm. However, they said, "Hey, man, you gave us six months and we should have taken two years for an organization of your size and complexity."

That's a little more than typical. Lots of times people will, instead of 18 months, take 12 months or 15 months. The more they try to shortcut the implementation, the more problems they create for themselves.

The biggest advantage - whether they're doing PeopleSoft, SAP - et cetera - for software companies and the clients, if they're going to put in a major software system, don't try to do it the cheapest you can. Do it the best you can. If you do that, it will pay off in spades. If you don't, it will screw you. That's the biggest advice I would have.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten.

RS
Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly and performs well but views should be simplified to one page

• "In general, this solution is user friendly and also performs well. There are two types of forms. One is a standardized form, which you can define things into. The other, you can customize so more repetition can be done in an even manner. That way, it can be designed for what the public or user actually wants. It's not very tough for any person, or layman to understand exactly what the screen requires one to do."
  • "I think the inventory part it should be simplified. There is the GR, or good receipt note, which is the time that the materials comes in, and the work days, etc. There is a lot of shuffling through pages, which creates a lot of problems for our users. They don't know which page to go to, where to create a GR, or where to create a stock entry. In other words, all the information is very daunting. It's very easy for people to understand and get a better clarity over it."

What is most valuable?

I basically deal with order management, purchasing order, inventory and accounts receivable.

In general, this solution is user-friendly and also performs well. There are two types of forms. One is a standardized form, which you can define things into. The other, you can customize so more repetition can be done in an even manner. That way, it can be designed for what the public or user actually wants. It's not very tough for any person, or layman to understand exactly what the screen requires one to do.

I believe this software is quite easy to work with, because I have used other software, such as SAP. I find Oracle and SAP are both easier to work with than other apps.

The other reason I use this solution is because I have only worked for one and a half years with SAP, whereas I have been working with Oracle for nine years, so I have more experience in Oracle and I find it more user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I think the inventory part it should be simplified. There is the GR, or Good Receipt note, which is the time that the materials come in, and the workdays, etc. There is a lot of shuffling through pages, which creates a lot of problems for our users. They don't know which page to go to, where to create a GR, or where to create a stock entry. In other words, all the information is very daunting. It's very easy for people to understand and get better clarity over it.

I would like to see order management or purchase order screens, with all of the information there on a single line, so you just have to scroll the page to the right side to view all of the information. If you work in inventory, however, you have to keep on changing the screen, one after another. I think that is not perfect, so improvement can be done here.

In terms of additional features, I would like to see a list of employees entered into the organization, their attendance, payroll, and other things that are more linked to Oracle. Only the name of the employee which is entered into the Oracle Master is there, but the in and out system of an employee and other things like payroll, salary, etc., are not included in Oracle. For those things, we have to use another software or ERP.

For human resources, we have one ERP and for daily transactions, we have another ERP. I think Oracle can take this part of the detailed system and attendance into Oracle so that it is right there in one ERP. Oracle could handle all of the transactions, whether they are in human resources, accounting, supply chain, or any other department.

I've been working with Oracle PeopleSoft for more than nine years.

Sometimes when a month is closing, there is a huge number of invoices that are being generated and many orders being placed by customers. At that time, there is a huge invoice created and the server cannot handle the capacity. Then the invoice gets stuck up in between. The time-lapse is due to this and due to the fact that the order cannot be generated during this time, may mean that two percent of your opportunity is lost.

Apart from that, stability is good. If you take a calendar month of 30 days, from the 4th to the 25th, all is well and good. After getting to the 30th, which is the peak time of sale, I think the software hangs up too much.

There is too much demand from customers at that time, so you have to handle it very well so that none of the other invoices are getting stuck. You also need to make sure pickup and delivery are on the spot and on time.

This solution can be expanded at any time. Initially, we started in one department and then another department got used to it. Later on, other departments began to use it. In our entire company, we have 27 branch offices and four factories. Initially, it was only implemented in the head office to get people used to it. Now, the entire company has been using it, including branches and our department center, all of the 10,000 employees have been using it. It's scalable. Everybody is used to it now.

It's used by 10,000 people. We have 10,000 employees here.

I've always been in touch with technical support because I love to actually see the coding they do behind the bug releases. I don't understand that much, but my curiosity makes me just want to know what they write there and how they put the command in it to clear the invoices, etc. When I see at the end of the month that it gets stuck, they clear the errors from the back end. There are also many times when there is a load on the servers, so they jointly come up to the other end and they write some of the other code.

I really don't understand the technical part, but I enjoy seeing it and I think that they do a great job. There is a functional coordinator and there are technician coordinators, though we as the users are not supposed to interfere with the technical people. Functionality has to coordinate with technical, but there are some people who can directly talk to the technical guys. For instance, when you are stuck, there is a problem with the server, or the invoices are getting stuck, I am one of the people that can go and ask them.

In terms of technical support, I can approach them directly and ask them for assistance. Instead of going through the functional team, I ask them directly. It's a direct communication, so it goes faster.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is not complex.

Initially, we needed help to implement this solution because I was an SAP user, so getting into Oracle, I needed consultants to understand it. Obviously, if you're moving from one ERP to another ERP, you need to get help from somebody to get educated. There was a data consultancy which was reappointed here to train each and every one of them.

We were trained at first until they trained the trainer. You get your first training and then you can train other people.

What other advice do I have?

Based on my experience, if your company is expanding on a very high level and already has good growth in it, you could do very well with Oracle. If you want to develop your own project as well, which involves standardized as well as customized forms, that would be another reason to go with Oracle.

SAP has their own advantages as well, so I would not say that Oracle is the best platform. You could go with SAP also. It depends which company asks for which ERP software.

I would rate this solution as seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about PeopleSoft. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
LD
Global Manager Information Security at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
Scalable and adaptable for finance, manufacturing, service, and sales requirements

• "The feature that I have found most valuable is having the sources so that you're able to adapt the product to your needs. That was a big benefit."
  • "The area that could be improved is the upgrade process, it's not the easiest. Oracle stopped supporting our version. So we have to move either to the cloud or work in a non-supported situation. That was certainly a disadvantage. That's also the reason why we decided not to stay with Oracle. Now we are moving to SAP."

What is our primary use case?

For most of PeopleSoft's functionalities, everything is related to finance, to manufacturing, to service, and to sales and sales opportunities. The broad scope for most of the year includes these functionalities.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is having the sources so that you're able to adapt the product to your needs. That was a big benefit. Then, when we chose Oracle, it was also for the graphical interface, which was already uploaded at that time. These are the two big advantages.

What needs improvement?

We have been using PeopleSoft for almost 10 year now.

Once the setup is done and it's tuned, it is very stable.

It is not that difficult to scale it. If you work in a virtualized environment it is easy to scale. You just have to add a CPU and memory and reboot the thing, and you have the necessary performance. In a RAC environment, you add another member in your cluster, and then you have more performance.

Technical support for the database, for the Linux environment, and for the virtualization layer, is great. However, for the functional PeopleSoft support, we were not that happy. The first thing they say is, "you have to upgrade to the next version, and if the problem is still there, please call us again." That was a little bit difficult. We weren't satisfied with the functional support. For the database, for the virtualization platform, and for the Linux, that was very good.

The initial setup is rather complex, depending on what you want. If you want to set up a RAC environment, then it's more complex and you need additional hardware. You need a skilled Oracle DBA. If you keep it to a single INSERT, it's simpler.

We have an enterprise agreement, which is great because you don't have to look to the number of users every year. You have to send the results of the company to Oracle, and depending on the limits that were defined in the contract by module, you see if you exceeded those limits or that you stayed within them. Then you have to buy additional products and support. It is a flexible model, but it only goes up. So if you come during a more difficult period, like last year with Corona, it never goes down.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give PeopleSoft an eight.

To raise that score they would have to improve the upgrade path to the cloud.

The advice I would give to others who are looking into implementing PeopleSoft is to go directly for the cloud product. Don't do it on-prem. Go directly for the cloud product.

PB
HR/Pay Systems Administrator/Director at a university with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Overall exceptional functionally, stable, and good support

• "PeopleSoft is a good core system. It has a lot of functionality. They frequently update the solution and recently they have added some good enhancements features for higher education. We just switched to the new fluid interface and that is working very well for us is very good."
  • "PeopleSoft should be more flexible with the configuration. There should be less coding and more configuration."

What is our primary use case?

PeopleSoft is used for human capital management in my organization. It can manage a lot of business areas, such as payroll, time and labor, and absences.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution is very good and we have been using it for a very long time keeping us organized.

What is most valuable?

Employees can use PeopleSoft to input their time and their own absences. Additionally, they can look at their paychecks and configure their direct deposits.

What needs improvement?

PeopleSoft should be more flexible with the configuration. There should be less coding and more configuration.

I have been using PeopleSoft for approximately 30 years.

The solution is very stable, it is a senior or mature solution.

PeopleSoft is scalable. We are decreasing employees versus increasing right now, but it has worked well for us. We are using the solution extensively in our organization. We plan to increase usage.

We have approximately 9,000 employees using the solution in my organization.

The product strategist from PeopleSoft is very good. I have not contacted the support myself but I have heard they are good.

We have used other systems in the past. The organization is a University and we have been here for a long time.

The initial implementation is complex. Everything is complex when you first start using a new system. If someone tells you it is not complex, they can not be telling the truth. However, the most recent upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2 was pretty good.

When we first implemented the solution we used consultants but recently we did the upgrade of the solution in-house. We saved a lot of money.

We have an IT team of four who do the maintenance, checkups, updates and patching. Additionally, they answer user help requests. We have an additional three or four developers and administrators that help out during projects.

We are a University and the cost and license are negotiated privately.

We did a complete evaluation of other solutions, such as cost and customer responses, and we determined PeopleSoft was best suited for us as a University.

What other advice do I have?

PeopleSoft is a stable solution and it has a lot of functionality. Additionally, it has good product strategist and user input support.

I rate PeopleSoft a nine out of ten.

ST
Senior Manager, Devops, Infrastructure, Reliability Engineering at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Customizable with a good interface, but is very bad in terms of performance, resilience, and scalability

• "It is a customizable product. We can customize it based on our needs, which is one of the features that I like about PeopleSoft. As far as financial accounting is concerned, the user interface is very good. You can also configure Chart of Accounts for all performance insights."
  • "Scalability is not there in PeopleSoft. Its performance and resilience are also very bad. When you're trying to stretch it, it breaks. It is not resilient. It is also not stable. It is stable as far as data is concerned, but the infrastructure is not stable."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for financial books. It is used for bookkeeping, accounting, and reporting.

It is on-premise, and the next logical step in the journey is to either take it to a public cloud such as GCP or go for SaaS.

What is most valuable?

It is a customizable product. We can customize it based on our needs, which is one of the features that I like about PeopleSoft.

What needs improvement?

Scalability is not there in PeopleSoft. Its performance and resilience are also very bad. When you're trying to stretch it, it breaks. It is not resilient.

It is also not stable. It is stable as far as data is concerned, but the infrastructure is not stable.

I have been using this solution for more than 13 years.

It is not stable. It is stable in terms of data, but it is not stable in terms of infrastructure. This is because PeopleSoft has to rely on Oracle and Microsoft for the underlying infrastructure stack, so it boils down to how reliable these components are. From what I have seen, Windows is not reliable, and therefore, the time it takes for transaction processing is not good. It takes a long time.

It is not scalable. When you're trying to stretch it, it breaks.

Their technical support is not that good. Because we've done so much customization, they don't support us. They support only out-of-the-box features.

It was complex. It was done 15 years ago. I wasn't there when the installation was done, but it was quite complex.

What other advice do I have?

I am not satisfied with this solution because its performance is not good. Everything Oracle promises is under-delivered. For example, version 12c of Oracle Database promises an in-memory capability feature, and they say that in-memory makes your workload super fast, but we haven't seen that improvement. It is a case of overpromising and under-delivering. It is also very difficult to adopt the features that Oracle keeps releasing. PeopleSoft is certainly very flexible, but we cannot use the new features.

I wouldn't recommend this solution because PeopleSoft is now the end of life. There are no new customers for PeopleSoft. I wouldn't suggest anyone to go for it. It is a dying product. Even though Oracle says that it will be supporting PeopleSoft until 2030, you shouldn't go for PeopleSoft.

I would rate PeopleSoft a six out of ten.

AH
IT Strategy and Innovation Director at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to customize, but it's a legacy product and not a modern tool

• "I often say that PeopleSoft's greatest feature is how customizable it is."
  • "We have already deployed it and we have had it for several years but we are switching to a modern HCM SaaS cloud product."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is our primary HCM product. We use it for core HR, payroll benefits, time, labor, Regs, and Legs.

How has it helped my organization?

You can meet the business needs of any of our Stakeholders.

What is most valuable?

I love how easy it is to customize. I often say that PeopleSoft's greatest feature is how customizable it is.

What needs improvement?

We are in the process of migrating from PeopleSoft, Oracle HCM Cloud, and Taleo.

Their greatest challenge is how customizable it is because the more you customize, the more the total cost of ownership increases.

We have already deployed it and we have had it for several years but we are switching to a modern HCM SaaS cloud product. We chose Workday, and we are in the process of implementation.

I have been working with PeopleSoft since 1995.

We are using the most up-to-date version.

PeopleSoft no longer has true versioning. They do PUM upgrades and we stay current with our PUM upgrades.

We have not experienced any issues with the stability of PeopleSoft.

PeopleSoft is a legacy product and I feel that they have effectively taken care of customers who want to stay on PeopleSoft. From that perspective it is scalable, but certainly not modern. It was created in the early 90s.

I refer to our business partners as clients but they are internal. I am their IT, strategy, and planning. I work with our business strategy teams for the technology enablement of their business needs.

We have 85,000 users.

Because it's on-premises, we don't rely on Oracle for support. We have our internal team for production support.

I am also using Oracle Taleo, Oracle HCM Cloud, and Ceridian.

Ceridian was a great product, but we made a company change and the new company used PeopleSoft.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Oracle doesn't charge us for all of our customization's but we have an in-house development team that does the customization.

What other advice do I have?

Given that it's a legacy product, there's not a lot of people who are looking to deploy PeopleSoft. We will be moving to a modern solution.

There are no additional features that I would recommend and that it is a legacy product.

Because it is not a modern tool, I would rate PeopleSoft a six out of ten. It was built on 1990s technology.

DA
Vice President - Enterprise Applications at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable with good integration capabilities and has the ability to scale

• "It's great for helping users deal with their supply chain."
  • "There can occasionally be complexity in the initial setup."

What is our primary use case?

We are not deploying PeopleSoft for our internal process, but we are implementing PeopleSoft to other organizations. Clients primarily use it for their financials, for the HCM, and some of them do use it for their supply chain.

What is most valuable?

The financial capabilities are great.

We really like the HCM.

It's great for helping users deal with their supply chain.

The stability is quite good.

The solution has the potential to scale.

It's very easy to integrate with other solutions.

What needs improvement?

I'm not a direct user. I'm more of an implementor. Therefore, I can't speak to what may be missing. If we do need to add something, we can do so for the client via extensions. I'm not sure what a client would like in future releases.

There can occasionally be complexity in the initial setup.

The pricing could be lower.

We have been working with this solution for almost six or seven years. It's been a while.

The stability of the solution is excellent. There are no bugs or glitches. It does not crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is fine. We don't have any issues if we need to expand. That said, we haven't had any situations where people wanted to expand anything. Of course, if it also happens it's fine.

We have about 15 clients on the solution so far.

Technical support has been fine. They are helpful and responsive. We're happy with the level of support we get.

The initial setup can be straightforward or complex. We've dealt with both types of implementations. It really depends on the client and their requirements.

We tend to implement this solution for our clients.

This solution offers a perpetual license.

While I cannot compare the solution directly to others on the market, I can say that it would be ideal if the pricing was a bit less.

What other advice do I have?

We are an implementor and a partner of Oracle.

In our client's environment, we are using the latest version of the solution. I can't speak to the exact version number.

I'd recommend the solution to other companies, however, it all depends upon the maturity of the customer, and its ability to adapt to this Tier 1 ERP's expertise.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Ather Khan
Head Of Risk Management at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Easy to install, has a good interface, and it integrates well with Exchange

• "The PeopleSoft interface is very good."
  • "The whole systematic flow of any query raised to HR should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

This is an ERP product and the best use case is to raise your query to the HR manager. There is functionality built-in for the staff to raise their queries direction to HR.

What is most valuable?

The PeopleSoft interface is very good.

The integration with Microsoft Exchange Server works well.

What needs improvement?

The whole systematic flow of any query raised to HR should be improved. For example, if I raise a query, I cannot see the status. I don't know if it's under review, or if someone is reviewing it or not. If it is taking quite a long time and you're worried about it, then you can't see if somebody has had the chance to review it or not.

In the future, I'm expecting to see a complete user flow. It should be a complete flow of the process for the end-user and it should connect with the line managers, as well as others in the same area.

I have been using PeopleSoft for the past seven years.

This is a stable product and I prefer to keep using it in the future.

PeopleSoft is quite scalable. We have more than 2,000 users in our organization.

The technical support is very robust and I am satisfied with it. They will solve any technical issues that you have with the REP.

I have heard about several other similar products but do not have any experience with them myself.

This product is quite easy to install, although I'm not sure how long it takes to complete. It integrates with LDAP services and with Microsoft Exchange Services, so I think that it takes between two and three days.

From a technical perspective, it is not a problem for the end-user to deploy it.

Our in-house team is responsible for the installation of products and integration with other services.

There are no additional costs for licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend PeopleSoft to all institutions and companies.

Download our free PeopleSoft Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.