PeopleSoft OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

PeopleSoft is #1 ranked solution in top Demand Management tools, #2 ranked solution in top Activity Based Costing Software, #2 ranked solution in top Benefits Administration tools, #2 ranked solution in top Talent Management tools, #2 ranked solution in top Talent Acquisition tools, and #4 ranked solution in top ERP tools. IT Central Station users give PeopleSoft an average rating of 8 out of 10. PeopleSoft is most commonly compared to Oracle HCM Cloud:PeopleSoft vs Oracle HCM Cloud. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 32% of all views.
What is PeopleSoft?
Oracle's PeopleSoft applications are designed to address the most complex business requirements. They provide comprehensive business and industry solutions, enabling organizations to increase productivity, accelerate business performance, and provide a lower cost of ownership.
PeopleSoft Buyer's Guide

Download the PeopleSoft Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

PeopleSoft Customers
BMI Healthcare, Lone Star College System, Jefferson County Public Schools, Griffith University, Los Rios Community College District, Tervita Corporation, INFRA S.A. de C.V., ICF Habitat, Central Washington University, Tech Mahindra Limited, Cognizant Technology Solutions, Stanford Childrens Health
PeopleSoft Video

Archived PeopleSoft Reviews (more than two years old)

MT
Functional Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Leaderboard
Core HR function management that is easy to use and has good technical support

• "PeopleSoft is easy to understand, where any end user that is logged in can easily navigate through the menus."
  • "It would be helpful for the end-user if the reports were customized. They would be able to select the fields while generating their reports."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is similar to SAP SuccessFactors, and Workday.

PeopleSoft HRMS is an ERP software which was one of the leading successful software in North America, in the Canadian Region.

We have implemented multiple modules that are the core HR function management, performance management, training, administrative training, access management, global payroll for India, and recruitment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the core HR, the strength, how the data is captured, and position management that gives flexibility in different organizations.

Also, the work center where you can see the different steps in your activity guide. There are different tasks that need to be performed for a recruiter to set up an activity guide. He can see all of the tasks to complete the upgrading for a new hire.

The ease of use. PeopleSoft is easy to understand, where any end user that is logged in can easily navigate through the menus. You don't need any help as long as you have the instructions.

What needs improvement?

The reporting needs to be improved.

It would be helpful for the end-user if the reports were customized. They would be able to select the fields while generating their reports.

In the next release, they can look at reducing the price.

I have been using this solution for sixteen years.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable.

We have eight thousand users with different companies.

The technical support is very good.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is not complex.

Deployment depends on the size of the organization. If you are just installing it, it can take a week, but if you are installing, and doing a quality implementation it can take five to six months, which would include doing analysis, customization, and testing.

I don't know if they are still providing licenses or if they have suspended licenses.

What other advice do I have?

There have been a lot of upgrades in the 9.2 version with the UI and implementation of data analytics, HR analytics, the analytics dashboards have been introduced, the mobility, and the ability to use PeopleSoft applications on a mobile device.

The features are good but you will have to do cost-data analysis with other modules and if it fits you can go for it. It is a good product to go with.

You get all of the features, and anything that you don't get, you can customize.

Private Cloud

Other
JB
IT Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Very good HR features, good stability and easy to scale

• "The customizations allow us to come up with a lot of complex labor rules. In the Philippines, there's a lot of different kinds of rules you need to be in compliance with. The solution offers up a lot of flexibility and customization that is perfect for our region's requirements."
  • "Often support just asks people to install a lot of upgrades. Sometimes they don't really give you clear details as to why you need to upgrade. They just say, "You need to upgrade this because there's a newer image, etc". They never really give you the reason underlying why you are having errors."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution's HCM suite for HR.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The HR features are the solution's most valuable aspects.

What needs improvement?

The payroll aspect of the solution needs improvement only because a lot of the enhancements with PeopleSoft are obviously geared towards the North American region. It's not geared well towards us as a small market in Southeast Asia. A local market model that's easily configurable and can be deployed as quickly as possible to different companies here in Southeast Asia would be very helpful. If we could integrate a lot of localizations that would apply it to areas in Southeast Asia that would be much better.

I've been using the solution for more than five years.

The stability of the solution is okay.

The scalability of the solution is fine. We're using a private cloud. If we do get different organizations that have a larger workforce, then it's just a matter of additional web and app servers. If there are any requirements, we just need to expand the specifications for the database site, which means, in terms of scalability, there are no issues. Right now, we have over 10,000 users on the solution. I'm unsure if we will increase usage in the near future.

On a scale of five, I'd rate technical support at 2.5.

Often support just asks people to install a lot of upgrades. Sometimes they don't really give you clear details as to why you need to upgrade. They just say, "You need to upgrade this because there's a newer image, etc". They never really give you the reason underlying why you are having errors.

The initial setup has a moderate amount of difficulty. Deployment took about eight to ten months. For maintenance, we need around 25 to 30 people.

We pay a yearly licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant; I've used the solution for five years and have marketed the solution for two years.

We handle the private cloud deployment model with Amazon as the cloud provider.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If they offered easier integration, and maybe a broader library of APIs that can be utilized by third-party integrations, I'd rate the solution higher.

Learn what your peers think about PeopleSoft. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,382 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ravinder Ahluwalia
Independent Peoplesoft Consultant at Asoft Management Consulting Inc
The solution is stable and it is easy to set up and configure

• "The new version of this solution is very scalable."
  • "There could be more adaptability of the system."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients' primary use case of this solution is for paying their employees.

How has it helped my organization?

People who are willing to learn the technology and follow the correct procedures can improve the way their organization operates. So from that perspective, there have been one or two of my clients where things have worked out for them, and they've moved on with version 9.2. They were happy with at least eliminating a number of issues that they were encountering prior to not using that functionality.

What is most valuable?

The answer to this question will vary from one client to another. Some Clients are more focused on the processes of how it's working within the system. Others are more focused on what they can improve by using more PeopleSoft features. Most of them are not sure what functionality has given them more leisure towards doing things manually. Most of the time issues are around customizations that are part of standard practice which is at times hard for clients to get rid of and that process becomes a habit and the resistance is noticed not only from employees but by the organization as a whole, which I think is not very productive.

What needs improvement?

The documentation is very easy but it becomes an issue when users don't know how critical it is for them to follow that documentation. If users don't follow the documentation, it is useless. And as soon as they have an issue, they blame PeopleSoft. As soon as they cannot figure something out, they play the blame game.

There is always room for improvement, but I find that people are moving over to working on the cloud more now. So now developers don't have any more to add because cloud is like the place to go. But perceptions differ, and I still feel that it's better if it were on-premises, because there is always the possibility of errors while working on the cloud. Data might get lost, for instance.

I have been using PeopleSoft for ten years now.

From what I've heard, the solution is very stable.

The new version of this solution is very scalable.

Some clients are hesitant to get rid of some of the customizations that they are used to and being able to pick up the versatility provided by Oracle to make their life easier. They are hesitant to adapt to the system and then they won't be able to pick up and go on cloud. The deployment for version 9.2 took about four to six months, depending on how large the project or the scope is. Deployment on cloud depends on if they are going by face to face, and it will take anywhere from three to four months because they give patches. These patches are pretty straightforward.

The licensing cost for PeopleSoft is 3,500 per course and the annual subscription fee is 6,500. That is rather expensive. I am not sure, but I believe there are some hidden costs.

What other advice do I have?

There could be more adaptability of the system because obviously it's much better now with being able to do your own reports and navigate around, which was not the case in the past. Perhaps the developers can also work on better reporting because I think there is still room for improvement in that area. My advice to others would be to believe in the system. This solution has the potential of making life easier, so it is just a question of adaptation to it. If users are willing to give the system a chance, it should work for them.

Other
UshaKatyal
Owner at kaydex systems ltd
A stable system that is good for payroll, HR, and benefits

• "Peoplesoft is the best payroll software in the market."
  • "If there is another release, they should look at going to mobile computing to stay competitive."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for HR, payroll, benefits, time and labor, e-pay, absence management, and position management.

What is most valuable?

Peoplesoft is the best payroll software in the market.

What needs improvement?

For HCM the editing criteria, especially for the time and labor section, the editing tool needs improvement. The 9.2 Time and Labor came with a lot of features. People didn't use them, instead, they used their own.

The financial interface should be optimized. It's not the best way to do an interface between HCR and financial. It runs like it was a patch job. In the past, the financial was separate and HCR was separate. When they came out with a new interface, people were too lazy to undo their current work.

Commitment accounting also needs improvement.

I have been using this solution for twenty-two years.

The solution is very stable, especially the payroll.

This solution is scalable.

If you know PeopleSoft, then the setup is straightforward.

If you go to the PeopleSoft education sector they make it complicated and people don't understand.

It's important to provide consultants with proper training. Often the implementation is completed incorrectly and they blame the solution. It's not the solution, rather it's the people who implemented it incorrectly. If it's not set up correctly then it will take the software forever.

The licensing depends on the number of people using it. The fees are based on the number of users you have and the number of features or options you require.

They can sell it based on the population. For example, if you have five thousand users they will charge a base amount per user. It's approximately $3,000,000 to $4,000,000 USD per year.

It also depends on the size of your company. If your company is small then you can take a different licensing, such as a constant number. Or, if your company is growing and is dynamic then you would select the license for the number of users and the features you require.

It comes in bundles for HCM, which has HR, benefits, payroll, and time and labor. Whether you use all of these features or not, it's there for you.

To obtain a certified license as a consultant it will cost you a few thousand dollars. I don't believe in the licensing process. I was on a plane once and a woman was sitting next to me and she was completing her license online but she was on the phone asking her boyfriend for the answers to the questions asked. This is not a trustworthy or reliable way to obtain a license.

They also have a separate license for contract management, for people who do contract payroll.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to know the product, but know the business, it's just as important.

Most are going with cloud solutions because they don't want the IT departments. When you go with the cloud, you have to accept it, you can't change it. Anytime there is a change you have to pay for customization and that is very expensive.

People should understand the features and the payroll policies to have it work correctly.

PeopleSoft had Canadian and US payroll tables in the same table and you have to know or remember to put the correct payroll code.

I don't believe in obtaining a license, it's about the working experience.

People are now interested in WorkDay, for mobile computing.

WorkDay was initially put in place to replace PeopleSoft from the people who designed PeopleSoft. They aimed to replace PeopleSoft with WorkDay because they were upset that PeopleSoft sold. It was a hostile bid and they didn't want to sell but it got sold.

Peoplesoft has been in business since 1988, they are very mature.

Review the implementation of your existing software.

If you are looking for payroll software, PeopleSoft is a solid system.

UK
Technical Lead at a non-tech company with 501-1,000 employees
A scalable and stable solution with an initial setup that isn't too complex

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for Campus Solutions, HR and finance.

What is most valuable?

We find the Campus Solutions very valuable. Right now, we're working on making the same service for the students.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to work on its mobile technology. We're hoping in the next version we're working on implementing, 9.2, will have more of this. There are some compatibility issues that the solution should address in future releases.

I've been using the solution for 12 years.

The stability of the solution is good.

The solution's scalability is good.

How was the

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for Campus Solutions, HR and finance.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for 12 years.

The stability of the solution is good.

The solution's scalability is good.

There's a moderate level of complexity in the initial setup. It's somewhere between easy and difficult.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

MM
Delivery Head at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
A scalable, stable solution but it needs better automation

What needs improvement?

The solution could have better processes and automation, or features that allow for a paperless environment.

I've been using the solution for ten years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. We have about 100 users on it currently.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. I would recommend the solution. It's very stable and scalable, which makes it a reliable solution. I would rate the solution seven out of ten.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for ten years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. We have about 100 users on it currently.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.

JG
Director, Client Services at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

Self-service for employee data changes Time and expenses reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

HR/payroll is integrated with Financials, so we don't have to enter data in two places.  Easy to use.

What is most valuable?

Self-service and mobile/fluid.

What needs improvement?

More/better reporting tools and ease of testing effort.

What is our primary use case?

• Self-service for employee data changes
  • Time and expenses reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

• HR/payroll is integrated with Financials, so we don't have to enter data in two places.
  • Easy to use.

What is most valuable?

Self-service and mobile/fluid.

What needs improvement?

More/better reporting tools and ease of testing effort.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We run PeopleSoft for our internal use. We are also an Oracle partner
KA
Business/Systems Analyst with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

We use PeopleSoft to:

• Manage HR globally
  • Take care of payroll for all US employees (both salary and hourly at all plants in different states and localities).
  • Administer benefits and compensation and integrating with all outside benefit vendors and state/federal tax agencies.

How has it helped my organization?

Most probably, an organization cannot meet obligations without PeopleSoft (or similar applications). What I can say is, with limited resources, it makes it operational, without outsourcing to expensive third-party service providers. And since it has strong application tools, it helps to integrate with both internal and external applications, as well as secure self-service and manager self-service applications.

What is most valuable?

• It has great depth of application functionality and flexibility of developing and integrating with others.
  • In recent years, they added more functionality in the mobile, analytical reporting, and installing/patching/hosting area.

What needs improvement?

• I would like to see applications functionality as the base rather than differently priced modules.
  • The quality of service has gone down after Oracle took over and this can be restored, and scope for online search could be improved.
  • Tools could be simplified and added for more auto typing and improving the current Java support.

More than five years.

Even when we moved to Windows and SQL server platform to save money, the performance was acceptable. We are totally on virtual servers including databases. But if the company needs higher performance, they can go with bigger servers and other platforms.

Highly scalable, and initially (18 years back), we were processing payroll for more than 10,000 employees.

It was excellent before when it was PeopleSoft, and it is still OK now.

Long back (20 years ago), we used ADP solution for payroll and some hosted solution (Saba) for some functionalities like performance management.

Initially, it was complex, expensive, and it was done with the help of an external consulting company since the expertise was not there and it was a decentralized organization. They also had to implement payroll in 20 plants or so at the same time with a custom T&A application and hundreds of requirement gathering sessions and hundreds of training sessions. If we had to do the same thing, it would be a lot different; we know what is required and how it needs to be done.

The vendor was good, but if you do not know exactly what you need and what the product can do, it would be expensive. So you need to do the internal analysis and gathering first and then go with the vendor.

We implemented early, and we are reaping benefits now and rolling out new functionality and self-service apps without any additional budgets (that is with two internal resources, same resources for maintaining the application and changes required with benefit vendors).

If the organization has complex needs that require constant changes based on business changes and has a solid IT department, there might not be a better solution than PeopleSoft.

If the organization wants to quickly get up to speed and more money, they can look into the other hosted solution and assume not too many changes after you implement.

Setup costs may be the biggest cost component, and you need to assemble with experienced people with the product or right consulting company to reduce the costs and time duration. Might be a good idea to go in phases — first with HR and keep working in parallel with other modules rather than big-bang with all modules when the organization does not understand the product that well.

At that time, none of these solutions were there in the market (SAP, SAP SuccessFactors, Workday, etc.).

What other advice do I have?

Spend more time in deciding the architecture and hosting environment based on the experience (virtualization, database, clustering, load balancing, server platform) on the technology side. To provide quicker benefits to the whole population, build a 2FA solution from the beginning and provide all self-service functionality right from the beginning (that can include all benefits and related documentation online) — that way management would see clear benefits.

Chee De Visser
Financial System Analyst at City of Richmond
It features integration with Human Capital Management. Features such as Query, Pivot Grids, and Test Framework need improvement

• "The integration between Human Capital Management (HCM) and PeopleSoft is an important feature."
  • "Services that need improvement include PeopleSoft Query, Pivot Grids, and PeopleSoft Test Framework."

What is our primary use case?

We use PeopleSoft as our ERP system. It is used for everything we do except for work order management, property tax revenue, and community service management. We had to use other systems for these applications.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides a very stable platform for us to support key applications. These include Procure to Pay, HR/Payroll, AP/AR, Fixed Asset and Financial Reporting etc. The BI component of PeopleSoft is lacking.

What is most valuable?

The integration between Human Capital Management (HCM) and PeopleSoft is an important feature, especially after seeing so many stand-alone HR/Payroll systems.

What needs improvement?

• Homepage and Dashboard for mobile deployment
  • Related Actions
  • Hover
  • Related Content
  • PeopleSoft Query
  • Pivot Grids
  • PeopleSoft Test Framework

More than five years.
Business Analyst Sr at a university with 10,001+ employees
Its flexibility in configuration is its most valuable feature

• "Flexibility in configuration."
  • "Initial setup can be complex without training or use of consultants."

What is most valuable?

Flexibility in configuration.

How has it helped my organization?

I have used this product at two state universities and at a private, for-profit company. It continues to amaze me at how everyone administers something like benefits and how differently the system is modified to conform to the ‘company’s’ way of doing business instead of ‘rethinking’ procedures and using delivered functionality.

What needs improvement?

Oracle is always working with its customers by using focus groups to improve the product. I think this works well.

I started using PeopleSoft in an IT support role with Peoplesoft 7.5 when the product was client-based before moving to 8.9 on the Internet about 18 years ago.

Not applicable.

The technical support is good.

Not applicable.

Initial setup can be complex without training or use of consultants. However, once you have invested in training, the setup can be straightforward with the use of consultants. I definitely think you need to have a company ‘expert’ in every module who knows the policy and procedures and is able to ‘think’ in both a functional and technical mode to work with consultants.

Not applicable.

What other advice do I have?

Research all possible options and ask plenty of questions as well as visiting one or two sites where the product has been installed and talk to users. Become part of the networking group.

Sr Manager, Finance Systems at a individual & family service with 10,001+ employees
The software, and synchronization of business processes, streamlined shared service departments by 40%

• "The synchronization of business processes, and the software, streamlined the shared service departments to run 40% leaner."
  • "Agile system configurations to accommodate business dynamics."

What is most valuable?

• Agile system configurations to accommodate business dynamics

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

The last conference I went to presented product enhancements that alleviated some of the end-to-end processing gaps we worked around with all the applications noted below, especially in the area of reporting.

We've used it for 20-plus years.

Yes, there have been issues. You must have an Agile DBA team to tune for dynamic data volume.

We rarely reached out to PeopleSoft.

Yes, we were part of the Y2K challenge.

We pledged to keep the setup “vanilla”. In what ways? Defining the Master data for each application is critical to successfully configuring the systems to operate seamlessly daily, and to manage business dynamics like M&A, international operations. Reporting was our biggest challenge that was not "delivered" by PeopleSoft.

Negotiate, and don’t buy into the cloud option.

SAP, Oracle, and JD Edwards.

What other advice do I have?

We use General Ledger, Billing, Accounts Receivable, Projects, Asset Management, Payroll, Accounts Payable. All would be rated an eight out of 10 as we developed solutions to fill "product gaps" that were part of later application releases.

We had an army of consultants from different organizations who collaborated and delivered the most vital aspect of scalability — a solid foundation to build upon. We also dedicated subject matter experts for each application and a team that ensured the "big picture" (e.g. consolidated reporting, operational and audit checks and balances, etc.) to work with the consultants.

it_user516321
Business Analyst at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
A valuable feature is HCM. I would like to see a better UI.

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature is HCM.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a better UI.

The setup was complex because we have a union and our benefits are so complex.

We implemented via a vendor.

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature is HCM.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a better UI.

The setup was complex because we have a union and our benefits are so complex.

We implemented via a vendor.

it_user515265
Founder at a individual & family service with 10,001+ employees
Provides ERP application information. I would like to see more enhanced features and user-friendly elements.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is ERP application information.

What needs improvement?

Having applications which provide more enhanced features and user-friendly elements.

We have been using this solution for 10 years.

We did have issues with Push notification and Fluid options.

There were no scalability issues.

Customer Service: Customer service is good. Technical Support: Technical support is good.

We did not use a solution before this one.

The setup was…

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is ERP application information.

What needs improvement?

We have been using this solution for 10 years.

We did have issues with Push notification and Fluid options.

There were no scalability issues.

Customer service is good.

Technical support is good.

We did not use a solution before this one.

The setup was complex, as it has multiple configuration changes.

We implemented it ourselves.

Check all options before a decision is made.

it_user515268
Tech Lead Application Development at a individual & family service with 10,001+ employees
Provides fluid interfaces.

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature is FSCM.

How has it helped my organization?

Provides fluid interfaces.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better support, bug fixing, and documentation.

We have been using this solution for 15 years.

There were issues with deployment.

There were issues with stability.

There were issues with scalability.

Customer Service: I would give customer service a rating of 5/10. Technical Support: I would give technical support a rating of 5/10.

What about the

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature is FSCM.

How has it helped my organization?

Provides fluid interfaces.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better support, bug fixing, and documentation.

We have been using this solution for 15 years.

There were issues with deployment.

There were issues with stability.

There were issues with scalability.

I would give customer service a rating of 5/10.

I would give technical support a rating of 5/10.

The implementation was done in-house.

it_user515244
Owner at a tech company with 1-10 employees
The most valuable feature is IDE.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is IDE.

How has it helped my organization?

It offers faster deployment.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvement in the UI.

We have been using this for 20 years.

I did not encounter any issues with deployment.

There were no issues with stability.

The setup was complex due to different components.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is IDE.

How has it helped my organization?

It offers faster deployment.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvement in the UI.

We have been using this for 20 years.

I did not encounter any issues with deployment.

There were no issues with stability.

The setup was complex due to different components.

it_user436074
IT Delivery Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
The most valuable feature for us is the integration between the HR Payroll and Financials modules. We really like the way they link and work together because there are no duplicate entries.

• "The most valuable feature for us is the integration between the HR Payroll and Financials modules"
  • "My developers want to use more HTML instead of the specialized tool, PeopleTools because, they say, it's better from a user perspective."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the integration between the HR Payroll and Financials modules. We really like the way they link and work together because there are no duplicate entries and the information flows from HR Payroll to Financials, and from Financials back to HR Payroll.

How has it helped my organization?

There are several ways it's improved our organization. It's an all-encompassing suite of applications, and the GUI is very user-friendly. Also, PeopleSoft has a mobile app that's coming out soon, which, to me, is very cool. My client's not there yet, but they will be within the next year. Even the desktop application is user-friendly. Overall, it's a full suite of apps so that you don't have to but individual component parts.

What needs improvement?

My developers want to use more HTML instead of the specialized tool, PeopleTools because, they say, it's better from a user perspective.

Also, making it more configurable would be an improvement, so that users can modify it the way they want so that we don't have to customize it. What my team has to do is make customizations because, let's say, if you have HCM work and a work list from HCM and FSEN, when the user sees that, it's all in one window so that they can see what application that was from. If you don't have to customize, your upgrades are easier. You don't have to retro-fit all of your customizations if they can use the delivered functionality. When they deliver PeopleSoft, they could make it so that it's just a flip of a switch, instead of an actual code change.

Performing an upgrade takes a long time. I know that when they're talking now about how the new version 9.2 has new PUM updates, you're supposed to be able to do them. Oracle will advertise, "hey, you can do this in 4 weeks. Just implement, put it right in. Boom! You're done." But they don't tell the customer, "well, if you have 10,000 customized objects, it's not going to be that easy."

The bugs are always in the latest release, so I always tell my client to be one release behind, let somebody else find all those bugs, and their response time in fixing those bugs sometimes take a little while. The customer can't wait up to two months for a fix.

We've had no issues scaling it.

It depends on where your customer is coming from and how willing they are to change. I've had clients that came from a PeopleSoft mixed mainframe, and they were really on board and really wanted that change. They did a lot of training and it went very well. I've also had clients who came from J.D. Edwards that was totally customized. They loved it. They didn't want to change, and it's been hard overcoming the resistance.

What other advice do I have?

Get your users on board and engaged. That's the number one thing. Get them in their training, which, unfortunately, is the first thing people always cut from implementation, and that's the last thing they should cut. When you're implementing a new product, you don't want to cut training.

AP
Principal at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of PeopleSoft Procurement is the completely end-to-end integration of the procurement process. From the time you set up the master data information and set up the contracts, you are able to create transactions.

How has it helped my organization?

• Visibility on spend. Spend is one of the big factors; it's your bottom line.
  • A lot of compliance; all the audit information, like when you do the transactions.

What needs improvement?

There should be more analytics, monitoring analytics, and also machine learning should be incorporated into the core product. Right now, machine learning is outside of the ERP domain; bring machine learning into the domain.

It's pretty stable.

Scalability is pretty good.

When we get technical support from Oracle, as far as the response is concerned, we are pleased. Based on the SLA, we get a response back. It also depends on the fix. If the fix is available, we get that response back. If it's a bug, it takes longer. We don't know how long it's going to be or how long it's going to take to fix the bug.

We looked at Ariba.

We decided to go with PeopleSoft because of the functionality and its ability to integrate not only procurement, but also with the finance and the HRMS.

What other advice do I have?

It's a pretty user-friendly product. It's intuitive. You can figure a lot of things out on your own.

Senior Applications Software Analyst
We're happy with the support Oracle provides.

What is most valuable?

There are so many features like Campus Solutions, Payroll, and student finance.

How has it helped my organization?

Users are more comfortable using the system.

What needs improvement?

Processing speed and user-friendliness.

Three years.

Financial aid setup needs some improvements.

None regarding stability.

No. The software is 100% scalable.

Customer Service: Excellent, since Oracle support is always available. Technical Support: Excellent since Oracle support has a 100% reliability in…

What is most valuable?

There are so many features like Campus Solutions, Payroll, and student finance.

How has it helped my organization?

Users are more comfortable using the system.

What needs improvement?

Processing speed and user-friendliness.

Three years.

Financial aid setup needs some improvements.

None regarding stability.

No. The software is 100% scalable.

Excellent, since Oracle support is always available.

Excellent since Oracle support has a 100% reliability in handling problems.

No. Peoplesoft is the ultimate solution.

Yes. There were very important jobs and processes that need to be setup.

We implemented the software with the help of a vendor.

No, we did not.

Senior Technical Analyst at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
By having an on-prem system, our infrastructure team has control of the system/DB and hardware.

What is most valuable?

One of the best on-prem ERP systems on the market with robust features. It is a complete suite with modules that fully cover all the needs of any business. Also, it is highly customizable.

How has it helped my organization?

Our business is very unique and we need a system that allows to be extended and customized to meet the needs of our users and customers.

What needs improvement?

Upgrades are lengthy and costly.

Over 7 years.

By having a team of experienced analysts and the use of consultants and good project managers the deployment was flawless.

By having an on-prem system, our infrastructure team…

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Upgrades are lengthy and costly.

Over 7 years.

By having an on-prem system, our infrastructure team has 100% of control of the system/DB and hardware.

No problems.

Oracle support could be better.

Oracle support could be better.

We went from a homegrown system to PeopleSoft.

It is complex because it needs to be properly configured to meet the needs of the organization.

In-house and consultants.

it_user522216
Sr. Peoplesoft Administrator at a local government with 1,001-5,000 employees
The HR and payroll features are the biggest flagship of this product.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this product is the HR suite; it is leading vendor for human resources in the market. So for me, the HR and payroll features are the biggest flagship of the PeopleSoft product.

How has it helped my organization?

That's the whole thing as the payroll feature is very robust. They support a wide variety of technology. They are keeping up with these new technologies, so that means scalability is high.

Performance can vary as it is dependent on what we do but performance in general is very good and reliable. So for me, the positive part of this product is that it is being used by global companies.

What needs improvement?

There are many areas in this product that can be improved, especially in regards to the EPM side since they have different products doing that. I would not go on the HR side but they have tools such as the EPM or CRM tools which need to be improved and become a little bit better than the other competitors.

Every software has its own challenges and so is the case with the PeopleSoft software as it has its own challenges too. However, one good thing about this product is that it has early adopters and they always innovate.

So, what happens is that we rely on that technology adaptation by the company and Oracle is pushing into the new direction too. We're happy about that, but we have challenges in our scalability and are looking at different measures as to how this needs to be dealt with; there is probably not just one way of doing it and involves a combination of it. That's what we are working with Oracle in order to find out the solution.

The technical support is always a little bit in the grey area. We are not totally disappointed but it has it's own challenges. Definitely, there is scope of improvement. We definitely want a little bit better than that, i.e., from whatever level we are getting now.

We definitely looked at other products but with the kind of complexity we have and the business we do, we found that PeopleSoft is the best tool so far which can give us our desirable results.

Since I just joined my current company a few months ago, I am not sure. I think Oracle has it's own HR product and also a cloud-based company such as Salesforce and VMware. We have not reached up to that level and our challenge is to go with them. Definitely, we have looked into those products too and we found out that PeopleSoft is best for us with their current business model.

What other advice do I have?

This would depend on the type of business again. PeopleSoft is a market leader for a reason, but if you look from the economic side, there are other solutions out there too which are much cheaper. They can select the product based on the size of their company; it doesn't have to be PeopleSoft and could be something else too like Salesforce, etc. But again, this depends on the nature of the business; for example, if you talk about the Big Five and the other big giants, like the US Army. For that kind of complexity, PeopleSoft would be the best solution available so far.

it_user522114
Snr System Analyst at CMPA
It’s highly configurable. Customization causes problems during upgrades.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the CRM part of it is its configurability; it’s highly configurable.

How has it helped my organization?

We're able to do far better data collection using CRM; far better than anything we had in the past. We're able to serve our customers way better. We serve many, many doctors across Canada. We can actually help them more by collecting all the data; what they do, whatever their needs are, what they're asking about.

What needs improvement?

The problem we have is the customization. We've gone a bit overboard with customization. That’s problematic during upgrades, which is a common problem with PeopleSoft. That's why our company is deciding to replace it. We’re in the phase of looking for something else. We don't know yet what will replace it, but it'll be in the cloud. That's the only criteria we have so far. It will be some software that should not be customizable. We also don't want to do any upgrades; we want it to be continuous.

Stability is fine; no downtime or hangups, whatsoever.

It has scaled well for our needs.

I am not happy with technical support. I recently opened up a ticket, three weeks ago, to ask about one particular type in PeopleSoft. The only thing that came back was more and more questions: "Give me screenshots. Give me this. Give me that. Give me a log." Literally, it just went on and on, until I gave up. Now, we're going to replace it anyway, so it doesn't matter. It's become a moot point, but that was very typical; continuously asking more and more questions until you get tired of it.

Initial setup was complex, mainly due to the needs of our business process. We had IBM as a consulting firm joining us and helping us install it, with an army of people.

What other advice do I have?

Don't customize it; absolutely, do not customize it. Change your business process to suit the software’s needs. Don't modify the software.

it_user521532
PeopleSoft Finance Functional Lead (Contractor) at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Business processes are solid.

What is most valuable?

It is strong in business processes and technology. The technology is open-ended. The user interface is much more stable and really robust. The strength of PeopleSoft is that the business processes are solid.

What needs improvement?

I work with the end users. I manage big projects, multimillion dollar projects. I work as a business analyst, or as a functional lead, finance lead. I find that technology is great, technology is always great. Oracle improves it in terms of integration, porting, better tools, better user interface. But, if you go and talk to the lowest level of the users – the people who enter the invoices, the vouchers, the general entries, add an asset, create a PR requisition, or enter the employee information – they still think that they do not have the tools to enter the data in a much more easier way. There still is a big complaint. They cannot go and get a report that easily. They cannot go in and see the information they want that easily. There is a lot of room for improving the user interface.

Every time we see a new PeopleSoft release, either an application release or a tool release, people get excited to see what is in it. That is fine, but you see that they're not offering anything for the end users to easily enter the data, or easily go and edit the data. That is one area there is a lot of room for improvement.

I rate it that the only area they can improve is the user interface.

I have been using it for 18 years.

It is an absolutely stable solution. We can take a clue from the implementation of PeopleSoft. If you look at their clients – PeopleSoft has all these government companies, huge public-sector companies –they all have PeopleSoft for decades. They're still with PeopleSoft, and they're really loyal customers. That testifies that PeopleSoft is a very stable product.

It is scalable, absolutely. Scalability is one of the factors for implementing PeopleSoft; scalability, in terms of integrating with other software vendor’s applications, such as financials, supply chain, or manufacturing. At the same time, it offers integration with third-party applications. Because the technology is open-ended, you can easily build integrations, either with third-party applications or within PeopleSoft; PeopleSoft HRM with our EPM product, or with our other Oracle CRM products. It does offer the scalability factor there.

Technical support is always an area that is a little sticky. PeopleSoft are doing OK in their space, but there's certainly a lot of room to improve there. I've been working with themfor almost two decades. If you look back 20 years compared to now, there has been significant improvement there. Still, there is a lot of room to improve there.

Customer service per se is good, but the methodology or the time they take to resolve some of the issues is more than expected.

The complexity of the setup and configuration depends on the business problem that we have. If you are a seasoned guy – a PeopleSoft consultant, a functional or solution architect – and you know the problem, you can fix it quickly. I think PeopleSoft is very reasonable. They have designed their system very, very well, keeping in mind the best of the best business processes all over the world, catering to verticals in all the industries. I find it reasonably good. I don't find it too complex, because you're expected to be an expert in that. Not everybody can go and do it.

What other advice do I have?

I've seen Oracle Financials; I've seen SAP. PeopleSoft is a very solid and robust product. Like I said, they have captured the best of the best business processes. Coupled with that, the technology is very stable and the scalability is there.

it_user522084
Owner at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
It can be used in many applications such as receivables, payables, and general ledger.

What is most valuable?

I like its wide variety and its use in many applications; receivables, payables, general ledger.

What needs improvement?

I think the reporting can probably be improved; probably more detailed financial reports.

I have been using it for 10 years.

It's more or less stable.

The scalability is fair.

Technical support's gotten weaker over the years. I think that’s because there are fewer people; PeopleSoft's being phased out.

Initial setup is somewhat complex. You have to know what your business is and what you want to do.

What

What needs improvement?

I have been using it for 10 years.

It's more or less stable.

The scalability is fair.

What other advice do I have?

People are coming to this solution over others because they can't do it themselves, and I'm less expensive than the big vendors.

What sets it apart from the other products like this in the market is that they've been around for a while. They’re proven and tested; that's all.

it_user521649
Senior Account Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It provides me the right fields and gives me some predictive information as well. the report fields are mostly US centric, and do not support other regions.

What is most valuable?

The user interface that I use is very intuitive, it’s to the point of what I want to use it for. For what I have, it provides me the right fields and gives me some predictive information as well, which helps in my day to day job.

How has it helped my organization?

There's a feed that comes up from Twitter and the social forums that helps me make myself available to customers, and then searching digitally into the Google and so on. That's pretty informative when I log in for my day-to-day work. That's a very welcoming feature.

What needs improvement?

If they could provide reports for various organizations, especially global ones. Currently, the report fields are mostly US centric, and do not support other regions. That would be a nice feature to add. I think I’m looking for more data validitation.

I am a user. From my perspective, as long as it is running on weekdays, it's fine. So far, I think my company is doing a good job in keeping it up and running.

My organization is actually growing at 20% YOY for the last 16 years. Over that time, it means a lot of new sales people are being added to the system. I haven't seen any change in responsiveness or change in the performance. The stability's in place without any impact to the performance.

I can contact the service desk, which is run globally, over the phone or via the ticketing tool and then they can look into the technical issues. If I have questions about the navigation or if there are any new features that have been rolled out, those are the guys to contact.

I'm at my current organization for the last 10 years. When I came onboard, they were using spreadsheets. There was a very good reason to avoid the manual work. Spreadsheets get lost all the time; they sit in mailboxes and pile up. I struggled with that for a couple of years before we moved to a nice product and that really helped. There was an urgent need. I think that need has been largely met. I'm not saying that it's the best product on the market, but it's still doing good, to me.

As I'm a user, I remember providing my input on what do I want to see in the product. That happens at the start of launching the product, as well as when the new roll out happens or the planning happens. In that sense, I'm involved in terms of the configuration, layout of the fields, providing user feedback. All of that has been taken into account.

As I’ve mentioned, I was involved in terms of providing end user feedback and rating the products. I think we looked at three or four products. Some were boutique and some were large ones, the Oracles and the SAPs of the world. After a proper, objective evaluation exercise, we went with PeopleSoft.

What other advice do I have?

I think the evaluation criteria that we used was pretty good. If I had a colleague that was looking at this kind of solution, I would provide them information about what I’ve learned from the product evaluation exercise, the product and the option exercise, in terms of the importance of reinforcing the training element, so they can use it correctly and so on. Hopefully, a new user would gain perspective from that.

When I’m looking at a vendor such as Oracle, I think it's important to be in sync with the latest trends in the market, especially in the CRM area. There's an on-the-cloud feature, so say that causes a big thing in the market about that and there's a heavy customer option on it. I'm really hoping that they can catch up on the trend. As a user, I have a lot of familiarity with the existing product. I don't want to unlearn and relearn a new product. That's the main thing.

I'm a happy user. My rating reflects that I think there's always area for improvement. With the new tech plans and so on, there are quite a few things that PeopleSoft or Oracle can do with the product.

Head of IT Applications at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
It improved payroll calculations and control, and employee visibility.

What is most valuable?

• Search engine (like Google)
  • Mobile app
  • Self service
  • Performance
  • Others

For example, any time you need to search information for any employee, you do not need to navigate through different screens and menus. You just type any information about the person and you can start to navigate. It's very practical and saves a lots of time. Its also easier for employees that only access the application one or two times per month.

How has it helped my organization?

It improved payroll calculations and control, employee visibility, self service, and other areas.

What needs improvement?

Reports can definitely be improved. There are very few core reports. Every time you have a request for information, you need to customize a report. It would be great to have a report generator that could bring more flexibility and speed to delivering information to end users.

I have used it for more than five years.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues. (We use it for almost 100K employees.)

I rate technical support 5/10.

We previously used a different solution and we switched due to internal developments.

Initial setup was complex.

I was not at the company at the time, but I know they evaluated other local solutions before choosing this product.

What other advice do I have?

Be careful with consulting. We have had a difficult time identifying consultants in Latin America (mostly in Brazil).

Project Manager / Oracle Peoplesoft HCM Functional Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The Strategic Module includes valuable features such as Profile Management, Performance Management, and Career Planning.

What is most valuable?

The Strategic Module – with features such as Profile Management, Performance Management, Career Planning, Succession Planning, Recruitment, Global Payroll, and Administer Training.

How has it helped my organization?

Organizations can manage the talent that support business objectives.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement in the Operation Module, such as Time Labor, and Global Absence, where every country has different regulations. That's the challenge for Oracle: to bridge the customization.

I have been using it for six years.

We have encountered stability issues, but the latest version is more stable.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is good.

We use different solutions because not all systems comply with all regulations.

Initial setup complexity depends on the user’s needs; if the requirement from the client can use the standard setup, then the implementation will be straightforward, but if there are many requirements that cannot use the standard setup, then setup and customization will be complex.

Oracle PeopleSoft HCM is one of the most expensive systems in the HCM area, so if the organization has budget limitations, then I would not recommend this system.

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options. It was a management decision.

What other advice do I have?

If the organization has a sufficient budget and wants to manage talent and support business objectives, then this is the answer.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is an Oracle Gold Partner.
it_user436215
Director of Business Development at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
I find that the user interface is very comfortable and convenient to use. It's pretty intuitive for what I need to do.

Valuable Features

Improvements to My Organization

Because the UI is to easy to use, it makes our work processes flow more efficiently, which, of course, impacts cost and time savings.

Room for Improvement

There are some small things I'd like changing, but the big thing that needs work is their technical support. They're really lacking in terms of timely responses to our trouble tickets.

Use of Solution

I've used it for about four years.

We don't have issues deploying it.

It's a mission-critical application for us, and we've found that it has the stability that we need. We haven't really had issues with instability.

We've had to do some scaling, and it's been able to handle the additional workload. We've had no issues with the inability to scale the solution for us.

7/10 - Just responsiveness tends to be an issue. They seem to be knowledgeable once we can get the involvement needed.

Other Advice

There's always room for improvement, but we're overall happy with the solution.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partners
it_user436131
GL and Reporting Business Consultant at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees

Valuable Features

The allocation tool is probably the most valuable feature for us in PeopleSoft. With it, we can schedule it to run overnight and then find out what happened in the morning. Previously, everything had to be kicked off manually, and now we can just schedule a batch to run overnight. I don't have to actually run it because I just verify it.

Improvements to My Organization

There are definitely time savings and greater efficiency. We had a manual consolidation process, and when we updated to 9.1, we used that delivered process as well. I think over time, we're adopting more and more of what's delivered instead of the workarounds.

Room for Improvement

I know we're looking at the cloud, and I think we're tying to become more progressive, but I think that's just a cultural thing where it might be a little slower for a company like ours in that we're very concerned about security. Our company is in a paradigm switch where we were the quiet company, but now we're trying to become more outward-facing. We're doing more spots for, like, hosting the NCAA, advertising, and things like that. So I think they're pushing the solution out and trying to see how we feel, and I think culturally it's going to be a little slower for us. It's just a comfort level that we don't have yet have with PeopleSoft in cloud.

But as for specific features, I'd like to see integration of chart-fill requests so that I don't have to put it on a shared point and so it's readily available for a new account. I'd also like to see Financial Close Management sit on top of PeopleSoft instead of as a separate Oracle product.

Use of Solution

We use the allocation tool and have pretty intense allocations, so that works pretty well for us. Previous to upgrading to 9.1, we had a lot of customization. When we did that upgrade, we took as much customization out of that process, and now we're just using the delivered solution.

We sell products, are there seems to be screen after screen after screen of data, such as attributes. We don't really mine the data, so there's no use for us to have all that information upon deployment.

We don't have stability issues with PeopleSoft itself but with the feeds coming into it. I don't know whether those stem from the source systems or not. Also, sometimes there are slow-downs, but that's generally due to server issues and not just PeopleSoft.

There have been no issues growing it, adding more users, more licenses, or more seats.

We had what I thought was a simply question about our consolidation process, but to ask Oracle support how to troubleshoot that was really difficult. They want you to build your whole system a demo environment; that's a lot of work just to answer what I think is a relatively simple question.

I usually Google issues and solutions, but to actually go to the support site, and I haven't had a lot of experience with that, but the back and forth seemed like they were asking a lot of really broad information and trying to scale it down.

I wasn't part of the team that originally implemented it, but I was involved in upgrades. I think it was extremely difficult. I wasn't on the project, but I was there when they needed me, and inserted me where they needed me. We hired IBM to help us do that upgrade, and I think there were a lot of pain points. It was kind of a two- or three-year process. I think there was good and bad, but not perfect, but it was difficult.

Other Advice

You have to be flexible and open to ideas and know that it's not going to be a perfect solution. This isn't a reflection, I think, of Oracle or, in our case, IBM, our contractor. They were just the experts we brought in to help us.

it_user436158
Team Lead at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees

Valuable Features:

We love the General Ledger feature. It does what we need it to do -- financial reports of accounts payable, T&O, and T&E. I'm not called at 2 am to put out a fire anymore. And for me, the stability is extremely important. It's important that it's reliable, up, and available for clients when they need.

Improvements to My Organization:

So many organizations are using it that we didn't have to develop something in-house. PeopleSoft has been around for a long time, and we bought it because it's a credible product. We didn't have to spend the money to build something ourselves that has all the functionalities that it already has. It does everything we need it to do.

Room for Improvement:

We've had to build all our data warehouses and datamarts in order for PeopleSoft to do the detailed reporting that we need. I really wish we didn't have to do that. I think that if PeopleSoft had more detailed reporting we wouldn't have to do all this work. That's the real pain point for me, especially since we have to provide support for all of it. It's not a part of PeopleSoft, so we've had to create a whole other piece that connected.

Use of Solution:

We've had it for fifteen or twenty years. The clients love it. It's very easy to use.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deploying it.

Stability Issues:

It've very stable and we've had no issues with instability.

Scalability Issues:

Scalable is good now, and the team knows how to support it as we grow.

Initial Setup:

We had a large vendor team help us with the initial setup, and then I helped my team with the transition, making sure we were trained and ready to support it. But I didn't physically move code or anything like that myself.

We actually started the project for initial setup about five times because the clients wanted everything. We asked for specific functionalities because it really can do anything, but you can't just have the entire world. So the vendor came in with a solution, and we went with it. But the vendor team was huge and costly, which we can't have going forward.

We're hoping now as we're upgrading to the next version that we'll have our own in-house resources to do the work ourselves. But the PeopleSoft setup was so big with so many other pieces we needed for reporting that it took a long time to design with many parts that were extras in the downstream part of the system.

In fact, the integration with all the interfaces in our system was probably the hardest thing. We have over 80 different systems that feed our PeopleSoft application with around seven different formats of the general ledger. So from changing the old, very cryptic systems to the new layout has been a challenge. We've bit the bullet on doing that, though, and it's a lot to maintain.

Implementation Team:

We used a mixed implementation team of people from IBM, Infosys, and our in-house team.

Other Advice:

It's good and we're pretty satisfied with it. Make sure you go with the latest version of PeopleSoft, but also make sure you plan and have the right people and resources trained to know the system. If you're new, get a demo and have a plan.

it_user436221
Sr. IT Solution Supervisor at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The SOAP and REST features are the most valuable features. We can have multiple web services created and multiple consumers can use them together.

Valuable Features

The SOAP and REST features are the most valuable features. What I like is that we can have multiple web services created and multiple consumers can use them together without any interruption or downtime. It helps us to have a very reusable kind of environment where we can have a single service that can be reused from multiple sources.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to have a dashboard on a mobile app where I can check the health of all the servers and middleware, where I can get alert notifications if there are any critical services going or not going up at all.

I also think it needs to be a little bit more robust as we have faced some issues such as thread counts with stuck threads. These issues came up basically because of the huge volume of data transactions, so if something could be enhanced so as to make it capable of handling more data, that would be good.

There are load also issues with OSB, and it doesn't provide logs. What this means is that I cannot go and check what happened to my incoming or outgoing transactions.

Use of Solution

We've been using it for more than two years.

We haven't had issues with deployment.

It is a stable right now from what we have experienced so far.

It is good from a scalability perspective. It could have a different kind of feature such as OSB so that data can be consumed from it directly from the consumer or from an IPA gateway.

I have not experienced many issues requiring me to contact technical support.

it_user436083
Sr. Test Engineer/Analyst at a recruiting/HR firm with 1,001-5,000 employees

Valuable Features

Once you get the feel of it and learn how to use it, the ease of use and performance are the most valuable features. It processes everything very quickly.

Improvements to My Organization

Because it's so fast, we're able to work much more efficiently.

Room for Improvement

It needs a better interface on the financial side because there have been more improvements to the RMS interface than the financial one.

Use of Solution

We've been using it at the organization since 1996.

We've had no issues with deployment.

It's been stable. We've had no issues with instability.

As far as I know, we haven't had issues with scalability.

I'm a test engineer, so I don't deal with Oracle technical support. If I find anything that's not working, I hand it over to our developers. But I haven't hear any issues they've had with technical support not providing answers.

It takes some time in order to set it up and to implement, make changes, and deploy it to our users.

Other Advice

How you use it will depend on the size of your organization and the number of transactions you do on your backend. If you have a small shop, there are other more suitable ERP solutions on the market that you can implement quicker.

it_user436209
Manager Accounts Payable Shared Services at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
The most valuable feature is the collaboration that it provides between our procurement/purchasing and accounts payable.

Valuable Features

Our end process is going through multiple procure-to-pay systems. So the most valuable feature of PeopleSoft is the collaboration that it provides between our procurement/purchasing and accounts payable.

Improvements to My Organization

Because it links our procurement/purchasing and accounts payable, we have a single way to track transactions.

Room for Improvement

PCM, the procurement side, is weak and is far from the strongest product. It leaves a lot to be desired with the integration of the contract management module along with the purchasing. There isn't really a strong way to allow folks within the organization view access to contracts without bringing that down to low-level security. It's just not flexible.

Use of Solution

I've been with my current company for five years, and we implemented v9.2 in January 2014. Personally, I've used it for a number of years.

We've haven't had issues deploying it.

With our current implementation, we have some instability. But, I believe that that's something we'll overcome over time. Otherwise, it a mostly stable product, though there is still room for improvement in many areas.

As we've acquired companies, it's certainly been scalable for what we do with it. We've been able to integrate all of the pieces of the implementations back to new parts of our organization.

7/10 - Response time sometimes on what we consider critical issues to us isn't as fast as we'd like, especially with v9.2. We went in flat with 9.2.0, so there were a lot of bugs and things that we didn't realize were bugs until we called Oracle. Sometimes it was days waiting to find out if the issues we had had something to do to our system or whether it was with the product.

it_user436080
Sr Advisor, Delivery Executive ERP at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the continuous roll-out of bug fixes, new features, and functionalities. Oracle really listens to the customers and provides valuable content for when those PUMS come out.

How has it helped my organization?

It empowers users to perform ad hoc analyses themselves rather than having to go to IT or somewhere else. That makes it much more efficient for our users to do their jobs because they have access to data analysis in front of them instead of having to find that information elsewhere.

What needs improvement?

We struggle with release notes. There's a lot of information, and I would love to see release notes broken down into compartments. For example, here's security, this is what you need to do; or, here's the business side or the functional side, and it gives us the technical stuff. I would like to see the release notes deconstructed and then parsed out into, for example, I'm a technical developer or I'm a super user and I need to understand how this is going to change my business processes. I think that's where we've had some detailed workshops where we've had to dig that information out. Not that it's not there, but it's time consuming to do so. So it would be nice to have a bit more user-friendly release notes for the user community.

For HR, we've been using it for four years, and for finance, we've been on it for two-and-a-half years.

We've had no issues with deploying it.

I'd say it's stable because one of the things that we do is we separate all of our testing cycles. We do all of the initial testing in one environment, then we do integration, and then we do a brand new copy and production for our user acceptance. We have a few small defects that we have to resolve once we go live.

When we get to that part through Hypercare, which is usually where we keep project people on-site to help with defects, and we transition over to our support vendor, we don't see a dip or an increase in tickets. That helps. Because of our business people that have committed to doing that, it helps us keep the stabilization where it should be.

We are so excited about how this can scale. We know that everything is kind of hinging on version 8.5.5, so we're excited about it. I've had so many of my colleagues come up and say, "Anne, when can we do this and when can we go on 8.5.5?" I don't know that we can go this year, but we want fluidity and elasticity. We want all of this stuff. We love how they've taken the fluid pages and you can choose. If you're a super user and you need to get your hands on a keyboard, you can go classic. It's nice for our people that are out across the country. All they really want is to be able to use their mobile devices. We're all excited about it. They see the scalability and we feel like we're just getting our feet wet with it.

I love Oracle support. When we were going through our first set of PUMS last year, we did zero to 13, so it was a huge amount that we took on to do that many images all at once. We had probably half a dozen hot fixes that Oracle provided. I love that they were willing to help us. They knew that we were under some critical time frames and some of it was for the very user-facing applications, like travel and expense.

When you've got 3,000 people who are out there trying to approve expense reports and they're getting errors, technical support understood that and they responded very quickly. I am very happy with Oracle support.

We were on JD Edwards previously. We had been on it for 12 years. We had never upgraded so we're still going through a cultural shift in being on a product that is progressive, that is continually changing. We're trying to keep up with the usability side of it, which is a struggle for our users, but they're seeing the value in it and they're letting go of the old, comfortable JDE system. It's been a little difficult at first, but it's gotten much, much better in the last year-and-a-half.

What other advice do I have?

You need to understand your core business processes. What are you really looking to get out of a software application? The application can do whatever you want it to do. Look at what your core processes are, look at what the application offers, and change your processes to fit that software.

Also, the more vanilla you can go, the easier it is, the better it is and the more value you're going to see when you go do PUMS, when you go to DBK, and you add all those bells and whistles.

it_user436077
Systems Manager at a local government with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides an enterprise solution where all the reporting is in our own centralized system.

Valuable Features

Having a complete enterprise solution where all the reporting is in our own centralized system is great. Also, having capabilities for analytics and reporting needs is highly valuable for us.

Improvements to My Organization

It's improved or functioning as we went from a mainframe legacy system to an ERP solution, so it's just a whole different world. It's like comparing apples and oranges, as the benefits are all over the place because we didn't have the capabilities that we have now. It did take getting used to, but we're in a much better place.

Room for Improvement

It needs more reconciliation between the modules.

We've had no issues with deployment.

It is a stable product, and we have had no issues with instability.

It has scaled well for our needs.

We've opened tickets and the IT side handles that as I'm more on the functional side. We send the request to IT and they opened up the tickets, but the turnaround time is a little long.

It was a complex setup. There were a lot of man hours involved as it was a big project.

Implementation Team

We implemented it with our in-house team.

Other Solutions Considered

No, we did a pilot program ten years ago and we already had the licenses and infrastructure in place for it.

Other Advice

Setup and configuration is key. It takes a lot. It depends on where you come from, though. If you're coming from another software that integrates, it's an easy implementation, but if you're coming from a thirty-year-old mainframe system, you're going to have some tough times ahead.

it_user436176
Programmer, Analyst, Manager at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows our business users to access information in a format that easier for them to digest than just raw data.

Valuable Features

There are several new features in the PeopleSoft tool set that I've found particularly valuable, such as grid control and related actions.

Improvements to My Organization

It allows our business users to access information in a format that's easier for them to digest than just raw data.

Room for Improvement

The main area for improvement would be with performance in some cases, specifically with migrations. We've had to address some of those issues recently.

We've had no issues with deployment.

It's pretty stable, but it does depend on the release, like how early you are on the release that you are adopting. Stability on a particular version becomes better after a certain release of that version.

We've had no issues with deployment.

It has pretty good scaleability. We've had no issues scaling it for our needs.

The level of technical support varies, but we've been pleased with the ticket resolutions for the most part.

The implementation was done before I was at the company, but I haven't heard that it was particularly complex.

Other Advice

Get involved with the grassroots community, like conferences such as Collaborate and Alliance.

it_user436089
Analyst at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees

Valuable Features

The fact that it's an all-enterprise solution is the most valuable feature to me. It's fully integrated with our HR and finance departments and works well throughout our campus infrastructure.

Improvements to My Organization

We're able to get great support and the latest updates that are convenient. I know much larger shops running PeopleSoft, which is great because we're a small shop and we're able to handle the ERP system as well.

Room for Improvement

I think that Oracle is making a lot of improvements right now with fluid implementation, new tools in the release of 8.5.5 and version 9.2, and the fluid interface. We just need to upgrade to the latest version. But in terms of what I'd like to see, I think it needs better integration with other parties. Right now, it's limited only to partners and it needs to integrate other technologies.

Use of Solution

I transferred to the college eight years ago, but they've been live for 15 years. However, I did have the opportunity to implement PeopleSoft from our previous job and it's been good.

We've had no issues with deployment.

We're pretty stable. Very seldom do we have production errors.

What we have scales pretty well.

Technical support is very responsive. It's pretty much how you create the ticket. If I contact them when I need immediate help, they pretty much respond right away.

The initial setup was straightforward for us.

Other Advice

The way they've been supporting us, the way they've been upgrading the technology, I think it's great. There's only a few ERP as far as campus solutions go out there, and they're probably the best one.

it_user436059
Sr. Manager at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
We've been able to customize it and add various modules for our needs.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable features most important to me are the web solution, the web interface, and the integration with other ECM products.

Improvements to My Organization:

We've been able to customize it and add various modules to suit our suits. It's very flexible.

Room for Improvement:

I know they have come up with some good analytical terms in the latest version, but I would like to see it improved further.

Deployment Issues:

This is an area I would warn others about. I've worked on several implementations and there's a long period of time within which PeopleSoft needs to be implemented. It also comes at a high cost depend on how many modules that are implemented at one time.

Stability Issues:

It's been stable. We haven't had any issues of instability. …

Stability Issues:

It's been stable. We haven't had any issues of instability.

Scalability Issues:

I think it scales pretty well. It's customizable so we can have all of our customer solutions which are most frequently used by our company and for PeopleSoft. We have been able to expand to different, new products and we're able to integrate them pretty easily.

I'd expect customer service to be better than they are. I give them a 6/10.

Initial Setup:

Most businesses that use PeopleSoft can easily make the system suit their business, so I think it's flexible, but it adds complexity to the setup.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Beware of the price as it adds up with additional modules.

it_user436005
Procurement Analyst at a local government with 501-1,000 employees
We can track our contracts and the release against those contracts. The current flow in the UI feel very clunky in comparison to the UI's of other sites.

What is most valuable?

With the way that my agency uses PeopleSoft, the most valuable feature of it is the ability it gives us to track our contracts and the release against those contracts.

What needs improvement?

The UI and appearance of People Soft needs a lot of upgrading and modernization. The current flow in the UI feel very clunky in comparison to the UI's of other sites.

I've used it for approximately two and a half years.

We upgraded to 9.2 last spring, so we've gone through that year-long cycle of challenges and getting it back up to running as smoothly as it was before.

Generally, it's stable. We haven't had any…

What needs improvement?

I've used it for approximately two and a half years.

Generally, it's stable. We haven't had any real issues with stability.

I think all the challenges in regards to scalability is getting more and more people to learn how to use PeopleSoft.

The company had been using the product for a long time before I started.

The initial setup was done before I started, but I haven't heard about it being particularly complex.

it_user419178
Sr Enterprise Database Admin at Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA)
We have other applications we run, so it's important that PeopleSoft can interface with them and everything works together.

Valuable Features

We've had a really excellent customer experience with it because of two main features -- it's easy to upgrade and it interfaces well with other systems. Ease-of-upgrade is important because we need to maintain the our workflow without the interruption of waiting for the system to upgrade. And we have other applications we run, so it's important that PeopleSoft can interface with them and everything works together.

Room for Improvement

There are a couple of areas for improvement, including better overall performance as well as an even quicker update process so that we have as minimal of downtime as possible. Again, it's very important that we maintain our workflow.

We've had no issues with deployment.

It's been stable. We haven't had any issues with instability.

It scales as we need and we haven't had any issues when it comes to not being able to scale.

We're in touch with Oracle support often. When we've created cases, the service has been very good. It's very consistent across all the Oracle products we use. Support is centralized in one location, so our service from them is consistently good.

The setup was easy and straightforward.

it_user419052
Lead Oracle / Peoplesoft DBA at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
We like the ability to fully customize it for our needs when it comes to HR management.

Valuable Features

The ability to fully customize it for our needs is huge. It's by far the most valuable feature for us when it comes to HR management.

Improvements to My Organization

We're the federal government, so our need for a customized solution for HR management is of primary importance. I'd say that our level of customization is 80% because our HR services for employees is so varied. PeopleSoft allows us to easily customize it to fit our needs.

Room for Improvement

From an administration perspective, I think Oracle needs more clarity on their road map as to where they are going to improve the product. This would helps us with planning future customizations to make it fit our needs better. Right now, there's just not enough clarity to what the product will feature in the future.

Stability is about 4/5.

Scalability is about 5/5.

I rate technical support a 4/5. It needs some improvement.

Other Advice

There are other modules, but HR is one of the most popular modules in PeopleSoft so it should be used heavily by federal government, state government, and all other private sector businesses.

Vice President, Senior Applications Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows for some configurability without coding, but initial deployment is a complex process.

What is most valuable?

It’s more configurable than it used to be. This makes it easier. You have opportunities where coding is not required and I think that’s the direction they are heading in, but if you have complex needs this does create an issue.

It has definitely evolved over time. I like the direction they are going in. It’s more robust now than it used to be, although sometimes that’s a good thing and sometimes a bad thing!

What needs improvement?

It requires more technical expertise to weed through code and see what’s happening behind the scenes to actually deliver a solution that the end user is happy with. They are trying to make it more flexible. It certainly requires more technical savvy expertise than in the past.

I have been working with PeopleSoft for around 15 years.

First deployment always takes a little work, and we came from the legacy system to the PeopleSoft world. Within the legacy world, we had three systems that didn’t really communicate with one another. I can’t say that it’s become easier over time, from our first implementation to what I deal with now. It’s a complex process, as it just depends on how many systems you are working with and maintaining. I think the first one was certainly easier than the upgrades that we have to deal with since.

We used legacy systems previously.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend for people to look around at other vendor software. It of course depends on the needs of that business. I think it’s a good product it has its problems because the software is made to fit across many organizations as Oracle tries to make it fit across many industries. However, I definitely enjoy working with the software as I have been working with them for so long.

Payroll Management Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Its flexibility allows us to integrate it into our IT infrastructure, but payroll processes linked to time control could use improvement.

Valuable Features:

PeopleSoft HCM is a mature, flexible and robust product. It integrates very well with our IT infrastructure. Its user interface is very good, too.

Improvements to My Organization:

PeopleSoft is a great product that helps you improve processes in the Human Resources department. Its integrated modules are a better fit into our business processes.

Room for Improvement:

Mobility is an area that has evolved a lot in recent years at PeopleSoft, so I think it would be an area of product improvement. The performance in specific transactions for payroll processes linked to time control would also help to improve the product.

Use of Solution:

Deployment Issues:

No issues.

It's stable.

No issues.

it_user276177
Lead Technical Analyst - ERP Systems at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It integrates with our existing infrastructure and we're able to customize it for our business needs.

What is most valuable?

It’s a very robust and mature product, and perhaps it’s the first HCM product that came out onto the market. It integrates very well with our existing infrastructure, and even though we try not to customize it very much, it is very customizable, which fits our business needs very well. Flexibility is very good for us.

How has it helped my organization?

This is a very customizable tool. Whenever my company has a unique need, I am able to quickly use this product to adapt to it.

What needs improvement?

I think this is coming along as we speak, but mobility isn’t the greatest. PeopleSoft on mobile devices has been a bit of an issue, but now there’s a new interface that is able to better function for that need. It’s still in initial stages, but that’s one area that I see for improvement.

Over 10 years.

I wasn’t the one who initially deployed it, as I’ve been here for less than 10 years. However, I deployed PeopleSoft seven years ago. Whenever we deploy anything there’s always some problems, but no big issues.

No, I don’t think so.

No, I also don’t think so. Just last week we deployed something new and we had no issues.

It's great, 8/10.

Good, overall. Very good.

No, PeopleSoft was one of the first of its kind, so I’ve personally never used any other product.

No, PeopleSoft was the first of its kind.

What other advice do I have?

You need to analyze what the current state of your company is and consider what your needs are. PeopleSoft is definitely a great product though.

Download our free PeopleSoft Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.