JoaoBrito
Owner at artesistemas.net
An open source firewall solution with a useful encryption feature

• "I like the connectivity to the open VPN. It's very smooth."
  • "They can improve the dynamic of the input of IPs from outside."

What is our primary use case?

I was working for a firm that has 70 employees. They are mostly working from home, so I needed a very well-structured VPN for remote working. We put it on Supermicro, and it worked fine, and it was above their needs.

What is most valuable?

I like the connectivity to the open VPN. It's very smooth. All the encryption in the open VPN is very good. The structure of the pfSense software works out very well. The PF work cuts and the snorts and whatever we put on the console for spyware and attack prevention seem to work very nicely.

What needs improvement?

They can improve the dynamic of the input of IPs from outside. Determining the IPs that are outside would be another way to identifying potential threats. We can treat it or identify and then block it or determine the rules to work with that IPs from the outside and inside the network.

I have been using pfSense for the past three years.

Back in the day, I was using Fortinet, and it was very tricky to get it working without spending more money. pfSense is exactly what we paid for, and it's still working very well. We've been working with it for two or three years, and it's a very good solution, and I didn't have to spend any more money on it.

Cisco VSL and Fortinet are tricky when it comes to improving the firewall rules or creating rules above older rules. In pfSense, it's very logical. It's simple.

The initial setup is very linear and very smooth.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give pfSense a nine.

CA
Owner and business consultant at networks srl
A firewall or router computer software distribution solution with a useful VPN feature

• "I especially like the VPN part. It works like a charm."
  • "I tried pfSense, and it has a big issue with file system consistency, and this is what drove me to OPNsense. The file system stability is quite a big issue for us. We have a lot of outages related to power issues, and OPNsense is much more stable on this side."

What is our primary use case?

I tested it for firewall, networks, and network stability and as a VPN access point.

What is most valuable?

I especially like the VPN part. It works like a charm.

What needs improvement?

I tried pfSense, and it has a big issue with file system consistency, and this is what drove me to OPNsense. The file system stability is quite a big issue for us. We have a lot of outages related to power issues, and OPNsense is much more stable on this side.

I would like it to be more stable on the file system part. It also has an issue with the ARP publishing, but it's common to BSD, and some providers experience issues with Layer 2 connectivity.

I tested pfSense for six months, but it had quite a lot of networking issues related to latency and ARP publishing. So, I immediately switched to OPNsense.

I'd like to see its stability improved. I know the BSD Kernel is more capable than what pfSense provides at this time.

It's scalable. It implements specific protocols for scalability.

The initial setup is straightforward. It took me about ten to 15 minutes to install it and maybe half an hour for configuration.

I implemented this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution if there are no power issues. It's stable and performs well, even on older hardware.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give pfSense a nine.

Learn what your peers think about pfSense. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
OSCAR ARANGO
Systems Manager at CORNARE
Great pricing, good documentation, and offers very good integration capabilities

• "The documentation is very good."
  • "The technical support needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I use the product for many enterprise clients, including building construction, government, and education.

What is most valuable?

The documentation is very good.

The pricing is okay. It's not too expensive.

The integration capabilities are great. The product can integrate well with Check Point and Fortinet. They make it a very easy process.

It's very good at defending our company.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if the solution could integrate with Snort and OpenVPN.

The technical support needs to be improved.

I've been using the solution for ten years at this point.

The technical support is not great. It's very slow. Sometimes it will take four days in order to connect with them, which is actually a decent timeframe for them.

Their documentation, however, is pretty good.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward. The onboarding process is pretty good. They make everything very, very easy. People shouldn't have any issues with implementation.

We've found the pricing to be very fair. It's actually pretty low. The licensing is very inexpensive.

We looked at Fortinet and CheckPoint in relation to how they work with Linux.

In the case of Fortinet, the content filter is a URL content filter. It's very different and it's complex to use.

What other advice do I have?

We're a pfSense partner.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. It's been very good to work with.

I would recommend the solution. pfSense is superior in terms of defending against attacks.

Sandeep-Pandita
Head of information Techenology at a real estate/law firm with 201-500 employees
Secure protection, superior for small business, and support helpful

• "I have found the most valuable features to be antivirus and malware protection."
  • "This solution is good for small businesses but it is not as stable as other competitors such as Fortinet."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for blocking websites, banking, and malware.

What is most valuable?

I have found the most valuable features to be antivirus and malware protection.

I have been using the solution for approximately four months.

We currently have approximately 45 people using the solution.

The support is good when comparing to other solutions.

We have used FortiGate in the past and they tend to be more stable, but lacking in other areas.

The installation was not too complicated. We did have some issues with the port forwarding,  some of the server application were not getting through the firewall but we managed to get it to work.

The whole network deployment took approximately three days.

We are using the open-source version which is free. We are testing the solution to see if we are going to go to the enterprise version which requires a license and is not free.

What other advice do I have?

For those who want to implement this solution I would advise it is great for a small enterprise, it is best to get started without having any harm getting to their networks.

I rate pfSense an eight out of ten.

RG
CEO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Scalable application integration, offers customization, well priced

• "The solution is fairly scalable when it comes to integrating with other applications and data sets."
  • "They could improve their commercial stance and be more agile when it comes to the commercial pricing of enterprise deals."

What is most valuable?

The solution is fairly scalable when it comes to integrating with other applications and data sets. They have a lot more customization compared to the competition.

What needs improvement?

For a feature update, they should increase the API integrations into decentralized identity platforms making it stronger.

I have been using the solution for two years.

In my experience, this solution is able to increase its scalability.

Technical support is very supportive. When we are in contact with them, there is no problem at all.

The setup was straightforward.

When doing deployments of the solution we generally average approximately six to eight weeks.

The pricing is lower than some of its competitors. However, If you do not have a strong technical team and are trying to get pfSense to do some of the same functions as some of the competitors such as Fortinet or Palo Alto, It will cost you a lot in professional services to do it. You then lose the low cost-benefit of this solution.

I have evaluated Fortinet, their pricing is reasonable for the SME market, but they are not enterprise players. The strongest solutions in this field are certainly SentinelOne and Carbon Black, they outperform everything else.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution to others.

I rate pfSense an eight out of ten.

Stephane Boudant
IT Manager at a marketing services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, simple configuration, and stable

What is our primary use case?

We are using pfSense as a personal firewall for our systems and network protection.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use and configure.

I have been using pfSense for approximately five years.

The solution is stable.

I am only using the solution for personal use and have not tried to scale it.

I have not been in contact with the technical support because everything has been easy with the solution and there is clear documentation available.

I have used other firewalls,…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use and configure.

I have been using pfSense for approximately five years.

The solution is stable.

I am only using the solution for personal use and have not tried to scale it.

I have used other firewalls, such as Cisco and Netgate.

The initial setup is very simple and the configuration is user-friendly. It took me one day for the whole process.

I did the implementation of pfSense myself. The solution does not require much maintenance, we require sometimes to reboot the system.

I am using the community version of the solution and it is priced well. There is a cost of learning how to use the solution, if it was free it would be better.

What other advice do I have?

A good firewall has to be easy to install, configure, use, and fit the use case. This solution for my usage is very good.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate pfSense a nine out of ten.

LB
Owner at The Computer Guy
High level protection, fast installation, and good support

• "pfSense is a nice product, and I find that there's a lot of information out there. There are some good tutorials on YouTube and other websites with helpful information."
  • "pfSense could improve by having a sandboxing feature that I have seen in SonicWall. However, maybe it is available I am not aware of it."

What is most valuable?

pfSense is a nice product, and I find that there's a lot of information out there. There are some good tutorials on YouTube and other websites with helpful information.

What needs improvement?

pfSense could improve by having a sandboxing feature that I have seen in SonicWall. However, maybe it is available I am not aware of it.

I have been using pfSense for approximately three years.

I have used the SonicWall solution.

Sometimes firewalls can get a little complicated. I think some of the things about the setup could be a little bit clearer. Maybe something like a configuration wizard or something that would guide you on more in-depth projects.

I'm running pfSense on old hardware, it takes all of 10 minutes to install.

I did the implementation of the solution, it is not difficult.

What other advice do I have?

I like pfSense and I have deployed a number of them. I have approximately four of them in the area that I'm using. I have replaced SonicWall with a pfSense unit. It's a more economical way of using a firewall, and the protection it provides is second to none.

Lonnie Buchmann:
I would say give it a serious look. And especially a lot of times when you're in a small business, this is a really good solution that doesn't kill you with all the technology overhead that you deal with nowadays.

I rate pfSense a ten out of ten.

Hugo Hoyos
IT Infrastructure Analyst at ADRA Peru
An open source firewall solution with a useful Packet Manager feature

• "pfSense helped us during COVID-19 because we used OpenVPN to connect from home."
  • "The main problem with pfSense is that it lacks adequate ransomware protection."

What is our primary use case?

We use pfSense for the firewall, VPN server, client-server, and internal network.

How has it helped my organization?

pfSense helped us during COVID-19 because we used OpenVPN to connect from home.

What is most valuable?

I like the Package Manager feature.

What needs improvement?

The main problem with pfSense is that it lacks adequate ransomware protection. I would also like pfSense to be more robust like Cisco or Fortinet.

I've been using pfSense for two or three years.

The stability is very good.

Scalability is very good. We didn't have to slow down, and we worked with it for months.

The pfSense page, community support, and YouTube tutorials are good.

The initial set up is complex and took two days to deploy.

pfSense is open-source.

I like Fortinet and Sophos as they have more tools to prevent ransomware attacks. Sophos has a client-server, and pfSense doesn't have that. Fortinet and Sophos are under a paid license, and pfSense is open-source and free. This is the main difference.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend pfSense to potential users. I would tell them to just read the tutorials because they're very useful.

Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free pfSense Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.