Planview PPM Pro OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Planview PPM Pro is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Project Portfolio Management tools. It is most often compared to Planview Enterprise One: Planview PPM Pro vs Planview Enterprise One

What is Planview PPM Pro?

Planview PPM Pro provides a top down approach to project portfolio management (PPM) completely hosted in a secure cloud platform. Planview PPM Pro software provides visibility into your programs, projects, and people to enable visibility, alignment, and improved execution across your enterprise.

Planview PPM Pro is also known as Innotas.

Planview PPM Pro Buyer's Guide

Download the Planview PPM Pro Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Planview PPM Pro Customers

The Weather Channel, corcs, Crayola, Scan Health Plan, Vermont, Bank of the West, North West Company, University of Southern Mississippi, Jeffries, Purdue University, Chesterfield County Virginia, City of Memphis

Planview PPM Pro Video

Archived Planview PPM Pro Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user568227
Enterprise Project Office Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides objective analysis of project delivery. I would like to see improvements in resource management and planning.

What is most valuable?

• Project data
  • Reporting: My job involves data analysis, so the reporting feature is the most valuable feature for me.

How has it helped my organization?

• Project data is used to make business decisions. It is used for objective analysis of project delivery, in terms of the project being on time and within the budget.
  • Prior to implementing this solution, there was no centralized system for project data, either collection or reporting, in the organization.
  • As the organization previously had no centralized PPM tool or a method of reporting on projects, having this data available via reporting assists in business analysis and decision making.
  • This solution has provided a tool for consistent reporting and for the information from which decisions are made.

What needs improvement?

• Resource management
  • Planning: My organization has to plan manually using multiple reports from Innotas. This means that planning is neither “real time” nor efficient.
  • Visibility: The tool allows visibility to what resources are working on. However, there is no meaningful method for “What If” planning if the organization has more than a handful of projects and resources.

Their PPA (Predictive Portfolio Analysis) module is extremely cumbersome and does not readily offer a method to move projects in/out/delay to see the impact on role availability. There is also limited reporting on which roles are causing staffing issues. The What If Dashboard in Innotas is also EXTREMELY limited, and does not permit all projects to be included in an analysis. When we attempted to include all active projects and all upcoming projects, an error was received that our data set was too large. When we limited it to only our active projects (those currently being worked), the “too large” error was again received. If “What If” planning cannot accommodate all projects, and if Predictive Portfolio Analysis cannot offer a method to adjust schedules and see the impact, the tool is not useful for resource management.

We have had to develop our own methods for resource/portfolio planning, using information from multiple reports from Innotas joined in an external workbook. Since we have to work outside of the system (Innotas) to get all of the data we need in one place, the data must be refreshed manually, thus it is never real-time. This also means that users cannot refresh this information on their own, but must rely on specific employees to pull, compile, and analyze the data.

I have used this solution of over three years.

There were stability issues. There are monthly releases for this product. Following most releases, the system is either not available, or has major issues.

The new features in the release occasionally cause other functionality to break, making one wonder how extensively the new features were tested prior to release.

There were some scalability issues. Our organization is too large/complex to use the planning tools (Predictive Portfolio Analysis and What If workbench) with this solution.

Other than that, there were no issues with scalability on day-to-day project management and reporting.

I would give technical support a rating of 4/10.

Technical support is requested via case submission, and Innotas rarely contacts you to discuss the issue.

The first response to a case is often “standard” and indicates that they did not read the description provided, or did not understand the case.

The first response is often “clear your cache”, which any user with experience with this product always does first before submitting a case.

Cases can take months to resolve, and occasionally remain unresolved. Sometimes Innotas cannot determine the cause of an issue or provide a meaningful solution.

This is the first PPM solution used by my organization.

My organization purchases a block of 500 licenses. We have flexibility to add and remove users easily. I am not aware if there are other licensing models available with this tool.

I was not part of the decision to implement this tool, but it is my understanding that there was no evaluation of other products.

We are currently evaluating other options, as the organization has matured and we need a tool that provides resource management and planning capabilities beyond what Innotas can provide.

What other advice do I have?

If you are relatively immature in your project management journey, this is a pretty good tool to start with. Your in-house administrators can do much of the customization that you want. Reporting is quite easy and straightforward with this tool.

If you are a small organization with only a few project resources and projects, this tool could likely provide you with what you need in a PPM solution.

it_user572589
Project Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Helps us track projects and timesheets.

What is most valuable?

I appreciate the project and timesheet tracking for our staff.

How has it helped my organization?

It has brought our organization to using one tool for requests, project management, and time-tracking.

What needs improvement?

Innotas is revamping their UI. They need to focus on their request management area. I believe it is scheduled for 2017.

We would also like to utilize their budgeting process, but they need to match how we do budgeting.

We have used it for two years.

We only encountered the usual web application anomalies and slowness at times. But this could be due to different behavior when using different web browsers, such as IE or Chrome.

We did not encounter any stability issues, as we are a fairly small shop.

I would rate technical support as very good!

We previously used various tools that didn’t map to our processes very well.

I think it is worth the price

We evaluated ServiceNow.

What other advice do I have?

Do it in phases if you can.

Learn what your peers think about Planview PPM Pro. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user570480
Senior Analyst - Business Systems at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
I particularly appreciate the Timesheet and Resource Management.

What is most valuable?

I particularly appreciate the Timesheet and Resource Management.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped to improve our resource forecast functionality and identify resource availability.

What needs improvement?

Financial management and workflow process setup could be improved.

I have used it for two years.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

I would give them 9 out of 10.

Initial setup was straightforward.

We previously…

What is most valuable?

I particularly appreciate the Timesheet and Resource Management.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Financial management and workflow process setup could be improved.

I have used it for two years.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

I would give them 9 out of 10.

Initial setup was straightforward.

We previously evaluated Epic Clarity.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a very intuitive product and easy to use. If you are a young and developing/maturing organization, it is a good first product to implement for a PPM solution.

it_user475320
PMO Supervisor / Senior IT Project Manager at a government with 51-200 employees
It allows the leadership to pull out the project status whenever they want to. There should be another option for capacity management.

What is most valuable?

This solution is cloud-based and that is most beneficial.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows the leadership to pull out the project status whenever they want to.

What needs improvement?

There should be another option for capacity management, besides entering of the time sheets against the tasks.

I have used this solution for one year.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

The technical support has been great, although sometimes responses can take up to three days.

Previously, we were using Basecamp and Microsoft Project. We needed a global solution that would meet with the leadership project reporting expectations.

The fast start process was straightforward. There were some opportunities around the unique requirements.

Make sure you understand the licensing structure, i.e., full verses T&E.

We looked at another solution namely the CA Clarity tool.

What other advice do I have?

You must understand the needs of your organization and as to what you are trying to resolve with this product.

it_user1833
CIO at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
Portfolio tools are strong and good what-if planning

Valuable Features:

Portfolio tools are strong; what if planning and understanding demand is good.

Room for Improvement:

Reporting out of the box and with any PPM tool, it's all about the data.

Valuable Features:

Portfolio tools are strong; what if planning and understanding demand is good.

Room for Improvement:

Reporting out of the box and with any PPM tool, it's all about the data.