KA
Chief technical officer at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
You can provide a multi-component with the database at the same service with the same performance and scalability

• "With the database, you can provide a multi-component at the same service with the same performance, scalability, or all those things."
  • "The database and applications can become very slow."

What is our primary use case?

The database for the accounting systems is our primary use case for this solution. Business software is 80% of my use case in the accounting software. It's a good tool for planning. I work with financial data and the data mining aspect is very important, as I need to access the data easily. The data is the most important thing. Sometimes the software developers forget this part because they just want to save the data on the database, but they don't know how to manipulate the data. The performance of the solution is dependant on how easily and quickly you can obtain access to the data.

What is most valuable?

I can use Unity Kinematic. It's not easy but you can create a multi-tenant database in Postgres and I think it's a must-have in software development. With the database, you can provide a multi-component at the same service with the same performance, scalability, or all those things.

What needs improvement?

PostgreSQL is limited to 32 TB in maximum table size for version 9.6 and earlier. This can be problematic for large databases. We currently don't have the multi-tenant feature and we require that with the contract integrated reassurance. To create have one tenant or more tenants, I need to implement or develop a software solution to connect with the multi-tenant, and to connect each tenant. PostgreSQL is not great for software developers, but it is adequate. For developers, databases such as Firebase and MongoDB technology are better. With PostgreSQL, all you need the database for is to save your data. This function on its own is not enough. The database and applications can become very slow. To debug you need to make the database query display information on your device. Some developers are not experienced in developing databases. This is especially difficult for junior software developers, and they often need more experience to be able to deal with that aspect.

We have been using Postgres for about 10 years.

It is a stable database.

Because PostgreSQL is limited in regards to the amount of data it can hold in a single table, you often think it might be better to change the technology. Other than that, it is a good solution for business.

Sometimes it is not simple to resolve issues, but the PostgreSQL community sometimes helps to find answers to questions.

I think it is difficult to setup. I amended my ID and Oracle advised me to change it, for it to work.

What other advice do I have?

If you want one tenant, you can use MySQL. If you want a multi-tenant, I think Postgres is better. SQL on PostgreSQL is linked to Oracle. Oracle and Postgres is the same thing, the same language. You will not have a big change for the software developers to migrate from Oracle to Postgres.

I would rate PostgreSQL 8 out of 10.

hugodpereira
Computer engineering student at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
Good for database management, free to use, and easy to set up

• "It's a standard reliable database management system."
  • "The interface could be much better."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used to develop the databases for your application. I used it personally for a college assignment.

What is most valuable?

The solution is open-source and therefore free to use.

You can do the same actions as you can with the SQL Server.

It's a standard reliable database management system.

The solution comes with an option to work in dark mode, which I appreciate.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be much better. Maybe it took a little bit longer to understand the menu options and so on. On top of that, it's a web interface. It makes it uninteresting to look at. It's not so appealing as the options that Microsoft offers. It's a separate program that works separately and you don't mess with the browser. It works okay, you can do what you need to do, however, it's not, in my opinion, so professional-looking. That said, it's open-source so I can understand that they prefer to do it like that.

The installation process could be better organized.

The stability could be better. they release new versions all the time and they aren't quite as stable as we'd like them to be.

We've only used the solution for a few months. We used it for two projects. It was basically used across two semesters. We have used it in the past year.

The solution is not as stable in comparison to Microsoft SQL Server. I had some issues with a version, and I had to re-install it last year. Now, however, it's working fine. That said, they are always launching new updates and they seem to release them too early as they are not so stable.

I'm not sure if I will continue to use the solution. I used it for an assignment, and that's it.

I did not contact technical support. I've never reached out to them directly. Therefore, I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I've also worked with Microsoft SQL, and I find the product to be much more stable.

The initial setup could be a bit better. They have some improvements to do especially with regards to the additional tools they propose. That part is just a little bit messy. Other than that, I thought it was very easy to install it. It's not overly complex.

I was able to handle the implementation myself. I did not need the help of a consultant or integrator.

The solution doesn't cost anything to use. It's open-source.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I'm mostly happy with its capabilities.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this product for beginners.

Learn what your peers think about PostgreSQL. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ariful Mondal
Consulting Practice Partner - Data, Analytics & Artificial Intelligence at Wipro Ltd
ExpertModerator
Useful for structured and unstructured data, cost-effective, stable, and easy to use

• "It is very useful for both structured and unstructured data. You can store unstructured and structured data in PostgreSQL. It is easy to use. You can easily manage things through PostgreSQL Admin. It is cost-effective. Its on-premise version is free. It is agnostic of on-premise or cloud. You can install it on the cloud or on-premises. It is available with all clouds, and you can also install it on desktop or Windows Servers."
  • "It would be good to have machine learning functionality in this solution, similar to Microsoft SQL Server and other solutions. Machine learning capability for a basic level or a common user would be useful. It can also have good reporting capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

I have used it in the past for some web applications and back-end databases. In my current organization, we are using Microsoft SQL Server.

What is most valuable?

It is very useful for both structured and unstructured data. You can store unstructured and structured data in PostgreSQL. It is easy to use. You can easily manage things through PostgreSQL Admin.

It is cost-effective. Its on-premise version is free. It is agnostic of on-premise or cloud. You can install it on the cloud or on-premises. It is available with all clouds, and you can also install it on desktop or Windows Servers.

What needs improvement?

It would be good to have machine learning functionality in this solution, similar to Microsoft SQL Server and other solutions. Machine learning capability for a basic level or a common user would be useful.

It can also have good reporting capabilities.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

PostgreSQL has been in the market for a long time. It is quite stable.

It is scalable. In my past organization, its usage had increased a lot. I had implemented data management and many other things on PostgreSQL.

In terms of the number of users, we had hundreds of users who used this solution. For development, we had seven or eight developers. We also had technical support and application teams.

I have not interacted with the support of Postgres because when it is on the cloud, it is managed by the respective cloud provider's team.

We used to provide service to various clients, and we were also providing internal services. We used different solutions in parallel, such as Amazon Redshift, MySQL. MySQL is also free. I have also used Oracle and IBM Db2 in other organizations.

Its installation is simple and easy. If it is in the cloud, you have to go for a subscription. On a desktop, you can install it with normal Unix commands.

I have not done full server version installation myself. If we go for Azure Cloud, its API is available. It takes five minutes to get it up and running on the cloud version. For desktop deployment, you can complete your setup within half an hour.

It is open-source. If you use it on-premise, it is free. It also has enterprise or commercial versions. If you go for the cloud version, there will be a cost, but it is lower than Oracle or Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. It is a very good database to have. It is also very good as compared to other tools.

I would rate PostgreSQL a nine out of ten.

EK
Sr Lead Data & Information Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to use, simple to install, and quite stable

• "It's quite scalable."
  • "If it was free to use, it would be the perfect solution."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is quite a good database for light applications for sure. This is how we are using it - as a front-end application and the canned database of PostgreSQL. The use case is comparable to Oracle, with quite a wide range of usage.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to install in Oracle and it's quite good to use for the canned database for content applications.

The solution is quite a good database.

Their pricing is very good.

The solution is very easy to use.

It's quite scalable.

The stability is good.

The installation is simple.

What needs improvement?

I don't work with the solution often enough to really know if there are any missing elements. For me, for how I use it, it works fine.

We're only really using two to five percent of the functionality available.

While there's no perfect solution, we aren't using too much of the functionality to really be able to comment on what might be missing.

If it was free to use, it would be the perfect solution.

We're currently using the solution. We've used it at least over the past year.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is very good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so with ease.

We have around 2,000 people using the solution currently. It might even be a bit more.

We also use Oracle Database. I would say the two are quite comparable.

The installation is not overly complex. You just install it and start using it. It's simple. We are using AWS for both instances so it's simple and easy. That said, I was not personally involved in the installation process.

How many people you require for the implementation depends on the implementation itself. It can be one person or it can be five. It's difficult to say. In our case, we have only one person looking after all instances.

It's not an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

I can't recall the exact version number of the solution. We're planning to move to the latest version.

The solution is installed in the cloud, however, it's a software as a service, provided by AWS.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's very comparable to Oracle.

While it does depend on the use case, for the most part, I would recommend the solution to other companies and users.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
RM
Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to use with excellent performance and easy to manage

• "The database has excellent performance."
  • "The user interface could be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for management. We have a managed ERP solution, however, it's all in-house.

How has it helped my organization?

The ease of use has been a great benefit for us in the organization.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use.

The database has excellent performance.

It's easy to audit the database. When the user makes some changes to the database, it's easy to audit the changes. It's fairly easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

The human resources, the HR, within the system needs improvement.

The user interface could be a bit better.

Just the basic functionality could be improved overall.

I've been using the solution for two years at this point.

The stability is very good. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's not buggy and it seems to be glitch-free. It's good.

Really, I didn't have any problems with scalability. If a company needs to expand it, they can do so.

We only have developers that use the solution.

We don't plan to increase usage in the future.

We don't use technical support, and therefore I can't really evaluate them. I have no idea if they are knowledgeable and responsive.

They do have documentation and manuals that are okay. They're pretty helpful.

The company used a Microsoft SQL Server previously. I don't know what the reasons were for changing, however, due to the fact that, when I arrived at the business, they already had Postgre.

I don't have any experience with the implementation. I didn't handle the process personally.

I'm unsure as to how long deployment takes.

You don't need too much staff for maintenance. We have one person that handles it.

It's my understanding that the solution was handed in-hours. We didn't use an integrator, reseller, or a consultant for the deployment.

I'm not sure what the licensing costs for the solution are.

What other advice do I have?

I believe we are on version nine of the solution. It's one of the latest versions.

I'd advise new users to maybe be aware of the syntax of the sentences of PostgreSQL due to the fact that it's a little different than SQL or Oracle.

Overall, I'd rate the solution an eight out of ten. So far, we've been using it and we haven't had any problems.

MR
Senior Database Administrator Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Easy to install, easy to manage, and free

• "It is easy to install and easy to manage. There is no license on it, so it is free. There is high compatibility with Oracle, and there are many tools for the migration of data from Oracle to Postgre."
  • "It still needs to be more mature and have some backup feature. We are normally dealing with Oracle's data, and we have very strong online tools to back up the data and do other things. PostgreSQL still needs to do more in this area as well as in the high availability area. There are many external tools that you can use for PostgreSQL's high availability, but there is no embedded tool within PostgreSQL for high availability. It could have a feature similar to Oracle for working on a distributed system. It can have some scripts to improve the monitoring and some tools to do performance analysis. We have a workaround for most of such requirements except for the support for a distributed system, which is very difficult to have. This area should be included in the core of the database itself."

What is our primary use case?

One use case is that we installed it and built it for a customer so that he has access to the database, and he can create whatever he would like to create on it.

We have deployed it on-premises and in the cloud.

What is most valuable?

There is high compatibility with Oracle, and there are many tools for the migration of data from Oracle to Postgre.

What needs improvement?

It still needs to be more mature and have some backup feature. We are normally dealing with Oracle's data, and we have very strong online tools to back up the data and do other things. PostgreSQL still needs to do more in this area as well as in the high availability area. There are many external tools that you can use for PostgreSQL's high availability, but there is no embedded tool within PostgreSQL for high availability.

It could have a feature similar to Oracle for working on a distributed system. It can have some scripts to improve the monitoring and some tools to do performance analysis. We have a workaround for most of such requirements except for the support for a distributed system, which is very difficult to have. This area should be included in the core of the database itself.

I have been using this solution for almost one year.

I didn't have any issues, but I think Oracle is more stable.

I didn't have experience with that because we didn't make any changes since we built it. All I have is one server, and I can only have one standby, nothing more.

We didn't contact them. We didn't face any serious issues that required support.

I am also using Oracle Database. The main difference is the scalability. PostgreSQL could be used for small to medium databases but not for a huge production database. I still prefer to have Oracle Database.

The initial setup was straightforward. It did not take too long. It took maybe one hour to do the installation.

It is free. There is no license on it.

What other advice do I have?

Go ahead and implement it. It is a nice product, but keep a backup and try to use it for small to medium projects or companies. Some of the customers are demanding PostgreSQL nowadays, so we will keep on implementing it.

I would rate PostgreSQL an eight out of ten.

LW
IT Innovation & Strategy | Real Estate Strategy, Asset Management & Enabling Functions | GSUS at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Good performance and simple to use

• "What I like is that it's quite powerful in terms of performance."
  • "I had some issues when I integrated with the Jupyter Notebook."

What is our primary use case?

We use it as an intermediary database for the collection of a variety of data points out of our data systems.

There are many departments that have different data, single points of truth. We asked them to give us different datasets, and we accumulated them in our Postgres-stored database.

It's an intermediary for a machine learning model.

How has it helped my organization?

I am more of a fan of doing things straight out of Python, but with the size of the data sets, we were forced to do it in SQL.

What is most valuable?

What I like is that it's quite powerful in terms of performance.

Part of the reason we use this solution is because of its simplicity and because it works. It does all of the basic things it's supposed to do and it's not anything fancy.

They are fulfilling their customer's needs.

What needs improvement?

I had some issues when I integrated with the Jupyter Notebook.

In the system administration, if you open the connection to the database with a notebook, there is no automatic closing of this connection.

I would like to see seamless integration with other tools such as Jupyter Notebook. We use it with Anaconda.

Also, possibly more streamline integration with more programming languages. An API for some different languages such as MARGO and JavaScript could be interesting.

I have been using PostgreSQL for one year.

I had an issue where we couldn't find the fault, and it happened on occasion at the end of the day. Some of my basic queries would stop running.

I had some queries run for two days and some run for a day, then I would have to try it again the next day and it would complete in 20 seconds. Sometimes, it seemed to catch itself.

I haven't had any contact with technical support from PostgresSQL. I do my research using Google.

I did not initialize this database, but from what I understand it's very basic. It was simple to do.

What other advice do I have?

I would prefer programming languages to query languages. Scripting, for instance.

If you have a relational database then you want to use PostgresSQL. I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

It's suitable for everything we use. There was nothing exceptional from my perspective, but it did everything we needed it to do.

Karel Van Der Walt
Data Architect at ACPAS Loan Management Software
Built-in code procedural language, good performance, good stability, and free

• "The built-in code procedural language is the most valuable. It has a built-in layer for code procedures. Its installation is very easy and quick, and it is free. It is also stable, and its performance is also good."
  • "PostgreSQL doesn't have a feature for temporal SQL, which is useful for gathering versions of data. This feature should be included in PostgreSQL. This feature is available in MariaDB, SQL Server, Oracle Database, and DB2."

What is our primary use case?

I have implemented costing models. I use it to capture item costs and then do calculations to compare costs.

What is most valuable?

The built-in code procedural language is the most valuable. It has a built-in layer for code procedures.

Its installation is very easy and quick, and it is free. It is also stable, and its performance is also good.

What needs improvement?

PostgreSQL doesn't have a feature for temporal SQL, which is useful for selecting version(s) of a row.

Specifically the syntax

SELECT

FROM <table> FOR SYSTEM_TIME AS OF ...

This feature should be included in PostgreSQL. This feature is available in MariaDB, SQL Server, Oracle Database, and DB2

I have been using this solution for six to seven years.

It is stable.

For my use case, it was good enough. I didn't use cluster or other such things. In my previous organization, we had 10 and 20 users. In my current organization, we don't have any other users.

I haven't used the paid support. I always find information from open forums and technical guys on the web.

I was previously working in a research organization, which favored open source. I have also used Oracle, Sybase, Microsoft SQL Server, and Ingres databases.

Its installation is very easy and quick. I am running it on Linux. It took a few minutes to install it.

I do it myself. I have been doing it for a long time. For its deployment and maintenance, one DevOps person is sufficient.

It is free, but if you need support, you can go for the commercial version called EnterpriseDB. They provide paid support, and they can even do hosting for you if you want standby and support.

For our current use case, I'm evaluating PostgreSQL versus MariaDB. I am probably going to use MariaDB because I need the temporal SQL feature, which is not available in PostgreSQL.

What other advice do I have?

I would 100% recommend this solution to others. I would rate PostgreSQL a nine out of ten.

Product Categories
Open Source Databases
Download our free PostgreSQL Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.