PostgreSQL Overview

PostgreSQL is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Open Source Databases. It is most often compared to Firebird SQL: PostgreSQL vs Firebird SQL

What is PostgreSQL?

PostgreSQL is a powerful and fully-featured database management system with which business owners can create object relational tables. It is an open source project that can be acquired for free and heavily focuses on elements such as extensibility and strict standard compliance. PostgreSQL is a flexible server system that can manage large workloads that are being contributed and accessed from a wide range of locations such as in a network, as well as small-scale projects like a single machine or user.

Some technical details of interest about PostgreSQL include:

• Its MVCC (Multi-inversion concurrency control) allows fluid changes to be made to the system without cumbersome roadblocks, while maintaining the optimal level of ACID.
  • Replication, built-in binary replication is available from the 9.0 version and later.
  • It offers a wide range of indexing capabilities, including B-tree and hash indexes, as well as GIN and GiST (generalized inverted indexes and generalized search trees).
  • It uses procedural languages that make it easier for developers to expand the database.
PostgreSQL Buyer's Guide

Download the PostgreSQL Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

PostgreSQL Customers

Hundreds of companies have used PostgreSQL, including the University of Alabama, Birmingham, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University, Champion Products, the United Nations Industrial Development Organization, the U.S. Agency for Disease Control and Prevention, and IMDB.com.

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Information Technology Technician at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Has robust backup and recovery integration, but should consider including the possibility to use query routers on sharded clusters

What is our primary use case?

We use PostgreSQL for most part of our mission critical applications. The solution has a very robust backup and recovery integration, and has good ANSI SQL language.
CTO at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Basically, you are mixing together the relational and NoSQL world in just one database, one powerful solution. ​

What other advice do I have?

Explore all the features.
Learn what your peers think about PostgreSQL. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Expert Web Developer at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
Provides a solution for a relational database in web development

What other advice do I have?

I think this is the only decent solution for a relational database in web development.
Liliana Rodríguez
Analista Funcional Líder at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
PostgreSQL statistically does not suffer falls, it simply works.
it_user494835
Founder and CEO at Shreeyansh Technologies | The Database Company
I have used it to handle terabytes of data supporting OLTP applications and have hardly come across any stability or scalability issues.

What other advice do I have?

I strongly recommend this product, with no recurring licensing liabilities with community support and with optional commercial support available. Shreeyansh Technologies provides various quality database services in 24X7 model to support our global customers.
Danilo Martins
Developer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Offers Multi-version concurrency control and ACID compliance.

What other advice do I have?

PostgreSQL has extensive and comprehensive documentation. Chances are that you'll find your answers there for 99% of the cases. For those answers you don't find, you can always go to StackOverflow. If you're not a DBA or a programmer, I'd suggest hiring external help, as with all the cases with databases (RDBMS or not).
it_user457323
Senior Database Engineer at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The reliability and performance it offers in combination with the fact that you don't pay for a license was the reason I chose it.

What other advice do I have?

There are some features missing compared to other RDBMS. The community is always expanding and more and more people use PostgreSQL every day. There are many forums where you can get information from and there are many different ways to contribute.
Consultant at a tech consulting company
It offers strong enforcement of data types, because it can catch many errors and mistakes and protects data.

What other advice do I have?

Explore this new world. PostgreSQL has taken a quantum leap over the last 20 years, and now it seriously threatens more established database vendors.
BI Expert at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
It has easy integration with a lot of visualization tools such as QlikView and Tableau.

What other advice do I have?

Go ahead with the product which has the best use case for your organization. Cost is never an issue.
Front-End Developer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
It provides a lot of valuable documentation and there's widespread usage of it.

What other advice do I have?

Compare and contrast various database optimizations based on your needs. And when you come across issues, don't reinvent the wheel -- someone has probably had a similar problem to your own.
it_user493518
Director of Operations / Senior Software Engineer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Since we are using Django/Python – it works great with PostgreSQL as well. The current features that really help us are Full-Text Search, Array Fields, and JSON Fields.

What other advice do I have?

PostgreSQL is an amazing product. Very easy to implement and there are many libraries to make it easy to use PostgreSQL as a back-end database solution, no matter what coding language you are using.
it_user494907
Big Data Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It stabilizes organizational databases, tables rarely get locked, and report extraction is faster.

What other advice do I have?

So far, it’s the best database I have ever used.
it_user495012
Chief Data Architect at a tech company with 51-200 employees
It's an open-source, license-free product that can go head to head with the likes of Oracle & DB2 and hold its own.

What other advice do I have?

Get some expert help; I cannot stress this enough. We often walk into DB setups and architectures that are a wreck because the team "knew enough to be dangerous". Even more often, we see database isolation, meaning the DB is not connected to the enterprise data architecture. That mistake leads to expensive problems down the road. It's an open-source, license-free product that can go head to head with the likes of Oracle & DB2 and hold its own in terms of features and performance, in many cases beating the competition.
it_user464529
CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The Foreign Data Wrapper means we can integrate it, and provide interoperability with other databases.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend PostgreSQL to anyone who wants to save costs and deploy a reliable enterprise class database server.
it_user457251
Data Architect at Blue Treble Solutions
In my experience, the data quality and extensibility are valuable.

What other advice do I have?

Always hire an expert to advise you on production database deployment. Similar to security, mistakes in this area have the potential to seriously impact your business. Postgres is free, but it can be difficult to hire experienced PostgreSQL people. There is a silver lining to that, as if you can find someone with five to 10 years experience then odds are very good and very dedicated to their craft and aren't interested in just punching a clock. You can certainly find those types of people for other products, but relatively speaking they're much rarer.
Sr. Database Engineer at a non-tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It allows us to maintain a highly customized configuration that is still supported by third-party vendors.

What other advice do I have?

If you can, do it!
it_user456468
Senior DB Engineer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Differentiator compared with other providers: its easy extensibility and the existence of data types that would fall in the category of NoSQL.

What other advice do I have?

Besides the simple fact of being an open product that can be used at virtually no cost, the quality of the code base is extremely good. The development process is transparent and the documentation is, with its 3000+ pages in the pdf format for version 9.5, exhaustive and complete. The community is very active and open to suggestions.
it_user457314
Sr. Oracle and PostgreSQL DBA at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The basic features are sufficient to fulfill our needs.

What other advice do I have?

Do continuous testing and research on new features as they have an excellence performance response.
PostgreSQL Database Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Valuable features of PostgreSQL are streaming replication, rich indexes support, extensibility and NoSQL features.

What other advice do I have?

PostgreSQL is an amazing product, very stable, predictable and reliable with rich set of features.
it_user457197
Senior PostgreSQL Database Adminstrator at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
This database is highly reliable and offers excellent disaster recovery.

What other advice do I have?

PostgreSQL is an enterprise capable database very similar to many commercial offerings, but be prepared to either pay for consulting or a long period or experimentation to get the configuration proper.
it_user457146
Co-Founder, CTO at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Full ACID compliance for all transactions is helpful when making modifications to the schema.

What other advice do I have?

PostgreSQL is the world's most advanced and performant SQL database available. It essentially beats out MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, and often MongoDB on virtually every use case.
Senior Database DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
With the introduction of Foreign Data Wrappers it enables connecting various different data sources to the database.

What other advice do I have?

Get a dedicated, PostgreSQL-focused resource, it's hard to convert DBAs with background in other denominations.
Technology Architect at Broadridge Financial Solutions
Fast bulk data load and extract feature using COPY is useful.

Valuable Features:

The graphical query plan analyzer in pgAdmin III tool is a very valuable feature. Fast bulk data load and extract feature using COPY is a very useful feature I have used.

Improvements to My Organization:

Helped solve my problem to extract large amount of data in a specific order on a Greenplum application.

Room for Improvement:

String manipulation functions can be improved. I could not find reverse string function and ended up writing my own. Similarly array functions like length of array etc where not available and we created our own.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for 4 years now.
it_user457224
Partner - PostgreSQL support manager at a tech company with 51-200 employees
It is secured by design, with their own firewall for host-based authentication.

What other advice do I have?

Ask the community. I believe any committed PostgreSQL user will be happy to help and provide advice.
Developer Advocate (PaaS Dust Spreader) at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
Top feature is PostGIS, the spatial extension. I also like the Key-Value column type and the JSON column type.

What other advice do I have?

Get a good book so you can get exposed to all the great functionality in PostgreSQL. I would highly recommend looking at the postgresql.conf configuration settings when you are ready to go into production.
Founder and Business Intelligence Consultant at Know Solutions
It is easy grow it from a small environment to a large one.
Software Architect and Senior Technology Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It's a stable RDBMS. I believe that drivers should be improved.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good free RDBMS. It's stable, scalable and reliable.
Platform Developer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
We were able to integrate disperate data sources into our Postgres Data Warehouse.

What other advice do I have?

The last few versions work great out of the box without much config changes. Don't be afraid to try it.
Senior Developer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Slot-based streaming replication can be done either live or as a purposely delayed task.

What other advice do I have?

Well worth the effort! I've been using it in my professional capacity without a single incident.
Specialist of Information Security at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It increased the database possibilities within the company. I'd like the ability to import data safely and securely from other databases without errors.

What other advice do I have?

PostgreSQL is a perfect database to be used by small to mid-sized companies. Many years ago when I worked with medium companies I would have given it a 10/10 but as the database community has grown, it has decreased.
Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's not limited to a specific language, you can use any procedural language you're familiar with.

What other advice do I have?

It's the best in my opinion because have now found what I need to enable me to quickly deploy into my production environment. Go to a professional and ask for your needs, maybe you will surprise with a variety of solutions that you never thought existed.
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Support for vectors, XML, JSON, UUID and the functions and operators for them are useful.

What other advice do I have?

Try it out! Sometimes, due to the high degree of configurability and extensibility, you might see some issues arise, but it's not that difficult to figure out what's happening. You will definitely be amazed by the SQL features and extensibility.
Senior Application Programmer/Analyst, Team Lead at a university with 10,001+ employees
It has excellent support for many programming languages. We've been able to integrate it with Java, PHP, Perl and .NET without any issues.
it_user448368
DBA / ETL Developer / Consultant at a marketing services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has the same features as paid-for databases such as Oracle and SyBase.

Valuable Features

It has the same features as paid-for databases such as Oracle and SyBase.

Improvements to My Organization

It's saved us money as it's free.

Room for Improvement

Eliminate the transaction wraparound possibility. If transaction wraparound occurs it can be a major problem.

Use of Solution

I've used it for two years.

There were no issues deploying it for us.

We've experienced no issues with performance.

There have been no issues scaling it for our needs.

There is none available as it's a community driven solution.

It's simple to get it up and running.

We did it in-house.

Other Solutions Considered

We tested a…
CEO - Software Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It has allowed us to run a Scada database.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to run a Scada database, which reads data every 2 minutes. It does it in a very smooth way.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have better support for real-time applications.

I've been using it for three years.

No at the time. Our application fits very well.

I have used online free help.

MySQL but not in…
Chief Data Officer at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
It provides standardization on the database and related skills.

Valuable Features

There are many valuable features, but the most valuable to me are Windows functions, Python scripting, and the fact it has a good PGSQL language.

Improvements to My Organization

It provides standardization on the database and related skills.

Room for Improvement

Parallelization and some connection to analytics is needed.

We had no deployment issues.

The product is quite stable.

It has the ability to scale up into products like Redshift.

The online manual is superb.

Implementation Team

It's very easy, and you only need to familiarize yourself with its file structure. Sometimes you need to write your own plugin, so sometimes it is better to have it…
Senior Developer with 501-1,000 employees
You can call from SQL and dig deep into the query planner with its excellent Explain functionality.

What other advice do I have?

It's go good reliability and is very compliant with standards. If you are installing relational DB you likely know how to use one. If you're not familiar with RDBMS's make sure you look into and use the features of the DB like views etc. They all serve a purpose and will improve your development if leveraged properly.Huge feature set.
Software Engineer at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
It's a great database engine that is easy to use, powerful, and scalable.​

What other advice do I have?

It's a great database engine that is easy to use, powerful, and scalable.
TIBCO Middleware Architect & System Administrator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows us to focus on innovation rather than licensing costs.​

What other advice do I have?

PostgreSQL is a great product, very mature and is evolving into other areas beyond SQL, in this times of connected devices and big data analytics, PostgreSQL can still be considered one of the key components and works very well with others. Being reliable is still one of the best ways to get a good ROI.
it_user434985
Sr. Database Architect at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
The full text search functionality helped a quite a number of times to avoid introducing another system for text search.

What other advice do I have?

If you don’t have experience with PostgreSQL, I recommend to attend some of the local PostgreSQL user group meetups and/or conferences to learn how it is being used. If you need help discussing about the solution, you can reach to any of the Postgres consulting services company.
it_user434967
Staff System Admin at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
​From our use of it, its stability and performance are the best features. The fact that there's no downtime and that it functions quickly are very important to our workflow and business.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

We're in the evaluation period at my current company, so we haven't really seen improvement to our functioning.

What needs improvement?

The multi-master replication feature needs improvement.

I've used it for eight years now.

We've had issues with deployment, but I can't share the details.

We've had issues with stability, but I can't share the details.

What do I think about the

Senior Software Engineer, Technical Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It comes with a very rich set of server side programming tools

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good product, and I'm very pleased, especially with the latest versions. I haven't found the perfect database yet, but definitively PostgreSQL is a candidate to consider, especially if you take into account that comes for free and is open source. I had many debates about PostgreSQL and I've never seen yet someone getting to know it and complaining about it. It simply helps and works, but you have to be good at it. Going for commercial solutions might bring serious costs and a feeling of confidence, but this database is not only for try or start, it's reliable and well done.
Digital Development Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Simple installation and it does not consume a lot of resources.

What other advice do I have?

Because we use it in many information systems (Financial, Human Resources, Inventory Management) in several large companies with significant data flow, we have not had problems. It was effective as a product. Read the product documentation well and know the configuration parameters because just one incorrect parameter can affect the entire database.
Computer Science Teacher at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
I've had no issues deploying it.

What other advice do I have?

You need to find a lot of time in order to find all functionality and get used to the PostgreSQL syntax Be patient, look for various forums and do learning by doing.
CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Array and JSON fields is good. It is too restrictive in cross-table/view constraints.
Technical Lead with 1,001-5,000 employees
It improves the query performance a lot. Sometimes it hangs and then we need to stop and start the services again.

What is most valuable?

PostgreSQL gives you much more flexibility because it's open source.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves the query performance a lot and helped in some real time and analytic reporting

What needs improvement?

Sometimes it hangs and then we need to stop and start the services again

I've used it for three years.

We've had no issues with the deployment.

There have been no stability issues.

We have had no issues scaling it.

Customer Service: 7.5/10 Technical Support: 7.5/10

Which

Daniel Alejandro Zuleta Zahr
Developer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
We keep the logic in the database and we only need to constructs need crawlers that feed the database with more text to process.

What other advice do I have?

At basic levels the database won’t do much difference, focus first in learning how to build queries properly, create index, etc. An image of our product achieved with Full Text Search.
Programador - Analista at a program development consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
It is a tool without cost, powerful, easy to learn and with a large active community.​​

What other advice do I have?

Currently this is one of the best solutions on the market. It is a tool without cost, powerful, easy to learn and with a large active community.
Senior Production Support Engineer at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
It allows us to deploy test functionality on a very simple normal computer and not on a server.

What is most valuable?

It's reliability is key.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

I'd like to have NoSQL available in this version. It is available in the latest one.

I've been using it for six years.

We had no issues with the deployment.

I've had no stability issues.

It scaled for our needs.

8/10

I switched as I needed to increase…
Co-Founder, Technical Manager, Consultant at a hospitality company with 51-200 employees
Large open-source extensions, modules and software helpers eco-system.

What other advice do I have?

Read the documentation.
Director of Client Integration at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
The query syntax and functions are well documented and easy to use.​

What other advice do I have?

The challenge with this product would be finding the IT resource that can implement the product.
Software architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It is very easy to optimize queries within bigger databases (100GB).

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to read documentation thoroughly and don't be afraid to look into source code. A great source is https://momjian.us/main/presentations/overview.html
Director GIS/Analytics/IT at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
As it's free, this enables us to develop applications without having to think about budgets, and gives us greater flexibility. It needs improvement with programming languages like PHP.

What other advice do I have?

So far we have not had any issues with this database are we are using this in development and production systems.
President with 51-200 employees
I like the fact it is not tied directly to a server OS, such as Microsoft SQL Server.

What other advice do I have?

PostgreSQL is a great SQL database, powerful, flexible, but it is not something to be considered over other things. The most important issue for a database, if what back end do your mission critical front ends support. With PostgreSQL we found next to nothing we would not do with other open source applications.
Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
HStore is a data type that gives the flexibility to store key/value pair.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend reading Greg Smith's PostgreSQL High Performance.
DWH Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It can be used by people on pure user level, without deep knowledge of OS administration, programming.
Senior Programmer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We could improve our hardware, and we upgraded the Heroku plan as we grew.​

What other advice do I have?

It does what it's supposed to do, as simple as that. We don't regret any choosing this solution.
Team Lead ETL at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It is a very safe and stable solution.​ ​A better export facility which is GUI friendly would be an improvement.

What other advice do I have?

If you are thinking of using PostgreSQL, all database names, table names and column names should be in small letters. PostgreSQL requires every capital letter to be quoted which makes life difficult for developer.
Technical Account Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is a scalable database that is free and open source.​
Sysadmin at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
I prefer it over MySQL or MariaDB because you can create several databases with many schemas. It needs to be able to cluster.

What other advice do I have?

Be patient! Like most open source tools, this requires commitment and a little knowledge. * pg_hba.conf * A fragment from postgresql.conf * How to access to database-server using psql client, and create a database Create a user/role and be owner for a database. We can list all databases with "\l".
NOC Manager with 51-200 employees
The management studio with product is create and intuitive.​

What other advice do I have?

Ensure its a good fit for the application you are using and integration you may have planned. Review all documentation prior to moving forward and always test the new versions before just cutting over.
DevOps Engineer at a transportation company with 51-200 employees
It is very complete, clear and useful documentation, forums and diverse information channels.​​​

What other advice do I have?

Just read the comparisons between different database engines, and read some documentation so you can exploit most of the powerful tools and functions it has.
Senior Consultant / Manager Technical Operations at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
It has good HA and DR. It's not very user friendly, as it is open source and has no immediate support.

What other advice do I have?

* Positive - 100% free as it's open source * Negative - it's hard to find expertise If you are planning to migrate an existing environment, please go through with the full UAT cycle at data, connectivity, objects and apps level.
Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It is, in our experience, the best open source GIS enabled database, with good support from other open-source tools.
Owner with 51-200 employees
There have been no issues scaling it for our needs.​

Valuable Features

It can handle complex SQL queries.

Improvements to My Organization

It has helped to cut costs because it's open source.

Room for Improvement

It needs better support for JSON and web services.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for 13 years.

We had no deployment issues.

We've had no stability issues.

There have been no issues scaling it for our needs.

It's open source, so there's no technical support available.

It was simple to setup.

Implementation Team

We implemented it with our in-house team.

ROI

There was an immediate return-on-investment of 100%.

Other Solutions Considered

We also looked at MySQL and other databases…
Founding Partner at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
All our company data is stored in it with a BI solution on top, but it lacks the ability to do distributed queries across multiple installations out of the box.

What other advice do I have?

PostgreSQL is one of the most stable data sources out there, and it offers you the most advance and modern functions on SQL so you can do more with less.
Software Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Authentication config could be made easier but overall a stable solution.

Use of Solution:

6 years

Deployment Issues:

Authentication config could be made easier.

Stability Issues:

It's very stable.
Database Expert at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It is stable, and easy to use but lacks a backup feature.

What other advice do I have?

I'd say go for it. It is stable, and easy to use but you should get an understanding of it to implement backup strategy.
Database Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It requires enterprise integration improvements but allows us to have an alternative solution to licensed DB's.

What is most valuable?

It allows us to have an alternative solution to licensed DB's.

How has it helped my organization?

It requires enterprise integration improvements from the security, and audit perspective (AD integration etc.). Also, integration into existing BI tools is not present.

I've used it for three years.

They provide a high level of technical support.

We switched due to a common OS integration strategy.

We had an RFP process to evaluate between similar product categories.
Business Analyst at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Best open source solution for database

What is most valuable?

Backend: 64-bit large objects, Cascading streaming replication, Serializable Snapshot Isolation; Performance:GIN Index performance and size improvements; Security: SSPI authentication via GSSAPI; list goes on...

How has it helped my organization?

Automation, accurateness and concistency of enterprize processes

What needs improvement?

Comercial & Supply Chain

9 years

Customer Service: 9Technical Support: 9

MySQL: scalability;…
Database Expert with 201-500 employees
A quick look at PostgreSQL
PostgreSQL at glance PostgreSQL is a first class product with high end enterprise class level features. This first chapter is a general review on the product with a brief talk on the database's history. A long time ago in a galaxy far far away... Following the works of the Berkeley's Professor Michael Stonebraker, in 1996 Marc G. Fournier asked for any volunteer interested in revamping the Postgres 95 project. The answer came from Bruce Momjian,Thomas Lockhart, and Vadim Mikheev, the very first PostgreSQL Global Development Team. Features Every time a new major release is released, new powerful features join the rich set of the product's functionalities. Here is a small excerpt of what the latest version offers in terms of flexibility and reliability. Write…
Database Expert with 201-500 employees
Worked for years on Oracle, decided to move to PostgreSQL because it's a first class product. The partitioning is basic.

What other advice do I have?

Employ a DBA to work together with the developers.
it_user5931
Developer at a university with 51-200 employees
PostgreSQL is a Powerful and Full Featured Relational Database Management System

What other advice do I have?

I cannot stress how highly I recommend PostgreSQL to my fellow programmers. The features and functionalities are beyond the abilities of other free database platforms and are comparable to the proprietary ones. Some advanced features may also be seen to the license databases but you’ll amaze how advance PostgreSQL may become in the future but in zero cost.
it_user1077
Developer at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
PostgreSQL is one of the best Open Source, Object-Relational Data Base Management System available in the market with great features

What other advice do I have?

Great Documentation, active community support, excellent management & development tools and availability on various platforms makes PostgreSQL a good data base management system.
it_user1227
Tech Support Staff at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Unified database with single storage engine, supports a large number of features not available in other storage engines.

What other advice do I have?

PostgreSQL is one of the best open source DB storage application which supports only one backend storage engine. PostgreSQL is well known for the number of features it supports and the standards followed. PostgreSQL is pretty slow when dealing with queries like COUNT(*) and many of the queries like 'INSERT IGNORE', which inserts if a row doesn't exist, and 'REPLACE' which replaces the current row. It is also limited to 32 columns per index. If you are looking for a speed, then you have to look for other DB engines available e.g. MySQL.
Product Categories
Open Source Databases
Download our free PostgreSQL Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Quick Links