Postman OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Postman is #1 ranked solution in API Monitoring Software and #6 ranked solution in top API Testing Tools. IT Central Station users give Postman an average rating of 8 out of 10. Postman is most commonly compared to Apache JMeter: Postman vs Apache JMeter. The top industry researching this solution is Computer Software Company, accounting for 31% of all views.
What is Postman?

Postman's Tools Support Every Stage of the API Lifecycle. Through design, testing and full production, Postman is there for faster, easier API development - without the chaos.

Postman Buyer's Guide

Download the Postman Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Postman Customers
PayPal, Shopify, Microsoft, Adobe, Atlassian, Twitter, BestBuy, Coursera
Postman Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Postman pricing:
  • "Its price is moderate as compared to other competitors. The version that we are using is not open source, so it is not free."
  • "We are currently using the free version, but we have plans to buy a license."

Postman Reviews

SV
Technical Test Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Leaderboard
Easy to use with strong reporting features

• "With Postman you can do automation. Automation has increased efficiency by more than 30% or 40%. Because the speed has increased, it's also possible for us to do in-sprint automation testing."
  • "To get this email reporting function, we have to integrate Postman with Newman. If the two are not integrated, we won't be getting all these things in one group."

What is our primary use case?

We're a big organization. I'm not sure how many employees we have, but everyone on our team uses Postman. We use Postman mostly to do API testing for a U.S.-based telecom company. I work in a middleware layer, so we get a lot of events from some other subsystems. Events are sent to a particular pipeline comprising Rabbit MQ and Kafka. It's not possible for our organization to simulate the events, like in a QA environment. It's not easy to create those events because they are sent by other companies or other systems.

Using Postman, we simulate these events by sending the events to that particular pipeline. Then we have a consumer application attached to that pipeline. When this particular event is triggered, it's captured and sent to Kafka, so we get a response in a system. It's basically a simulation. Some people try this in our organization itself. For my part, it's more on the DB side.

How has it helped my organization?

Before integrating Postman, we were triggering events manually. With Postman you can do automation. Automation has increased efficiency by more than 30% or 40%. Because the speed has increased, it's also possible for us to do in-sprint automation testing. When we do manual test cases, we can add an automated test case in the same script. This makes it easy for us to do in-sprint automation. The client is also happy because each time they ask for something, we can provide that.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of Postman is its ease of use. If a new client comes to our organization, it is very easy to ask him or her to install Postman, then get the URL, and then provide them with the fields for mandate refills or whatever field is applicable. We can ask them to get the JSON. We can even create validations and assertions. Postman can also be integrated with another tool called Newman.

Postman also has strong reporting features that allow us to create reports and then send these to the stakeholders. We use regularly scheduled reports. Every day at 10:00 a.m. our time, a report will be generated and sent to the stakeholders. We do a regression daily, and everybody gets the report also. It's a very user-friendly tool. Anybody can learn it. In my case, what I do is create an input Excel sheet when I give all the values. It takes the values from the Excel sheet. In the pipeline, we have something called YAML script Baron.

The automation tool requires a little work. You have to spend some time initially, but after that, you don't have to worry about it. For a given set of test cases, I create automated test cases and then add them to this particular regression suite, so that everything will run. If somebody asks me to run a regression tool, I can easily show them the results. It's all in the report, and they can click on it to see the input value that I've given.

What needs improvement?

To get this email reporting function, we have to integrate Postman with Newman. If the two are not integrated, we won't be getting all these things in one group. I'm not sure if the open-source version of Postman has that. I need to check. If it doesn't, then that's something Postman could add as a native feature.

I've been using Postman for three years.

Postman has never failed. Maybe once or twice depending on my internet connection. But generally, no issues from the Postman site.

We have integrated Postman with Newman, and that is working fine.

I've never had to call Postman support actually. If you want to integrate something, you can turn to community forums and online sources. When we were trying to integrate Postman and Newman, we could just Google it. We didn't have to call anyone.

We've used other solutions in parallel with Postman, like ADAPT Test. ADAPT is more of a service virtualization tool, but we can also do API testing in that particular tool. We were finding it difficult because it taking time for us to open the tool. Frequently, we were getting some error messages. On the other hand, we had support. It's a good tool, but it was not that stable. Eventually, we decided that we would just stick with Postman.

Postman setup was straightforward. It was not complex

It's open-source, so I don't think a cost is involved.

What other advice do I have?

If you're getting started with API testing, Postman is the first tool I would suggest for anybody who wants to learn API. It's easy. Later on, you can try SoapUI and finally move on to ADAPT Test. It's easy to teach and train others to use Postman. I can share my screen and tell them. It's not like I have to sit with them, then show them. There's nothing like that. It's very easy. Even a recommendation will do. When I'm teaching a person, I don't have to sit with them and tell them, "Click there. Click that." I can create a document and share it with them and they can do it on their own.

I would rate Postman eight out of 10. I need to check on the email functionality though. If email is provided, I might rate it 10. I'm not sure.

PR
Test Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It lets you share test cases with your teammates

• "Postman allows you to incorporate and export the test cases we create. It enables me to share the test cases with my colleagues, so I don't have to copy them into an Excel sheet. Postman lets me export the dataset and share it with my team. They can use my test case for their testing."
  • "Testing API is pretty straightforward in Postman, but it falls short when testing web services. For example, when we test web services, there is a visual component that we can import in SoapUI but not in Postman."

What is our primary use case?

When critical things happen, and we need immediate testing, we use Postman or SoapUI.  For example, when testing ServiceNow applications, we use Postman to call the APIs. The data sequence of the APIs has to be called, so we create test cases in Postman that call the appropriate data, authentication keys, and everything else we include in the data. And when we post about it, we include all that data. We fill in all of the required fields and send the request. When we get the response, it will include some data. We capture that and send it along on the subsequent request. So we usually use Postman to keep our directors informed during our integration and product testing. It's a pretty mature solution. Postman is about seven to eight years old.

How has it helped my organization?

Postman has helped up with storing data, sharing test cases, and reporting. It's much easier to share test cases with teammates. I don't have to deliver an Excel sheet with all the test cases in there. It covers my list of requirements. For instance, it gives me the raw data, and if I need a new structure or format, it does everything automatically. Back in 2012, it was a browser-based application that you open in Chrome, but now it's a desktop application. It makes my life much easier. The browser-based app was frustrating because Chrome uses a lot of memory, and the browser often crashed.

What is most valuable?

Postman allows you to incorporate and export the test cases we create. It enables me to share the test cases with my colleagues, so I don't have to copy them into an Excel sheet. Postman lets me export the dataset and share it with my team. They can use my test case for their testing.

It lists all the tests I have done, so I don't have to report them separately. With SoapUI, I can't do that. So every time I run a test case in SoapUI, I have to note in an Excel sheet the data, response times, etc. Postman sets the data free. It records the calls, responses, and everything else I need. So I can create a report and then go back and see what testing happened in the past month.

What needs improvement?

Testing API is pretty straightforward in Postman, but it falls short when testing web services. For example, when we test web services, there is a visual component that we can import in SoapUI but not in Postman. It's pretty challenging to work with visuals in Postman, but it's much easier in SoapUI. We used Postman to test web services three years ago, but we found it wasn't suitable, so we started using SoapUI. If Postman's web services testing were smarter, it would be the number one tool we use.

It would be great if Postman could add some more integration with the other testing tools we use. For example, it would be nice if we could create a test case scenario in Postman and execute it using Jenkins during the CFPB pipeline. That would be an outstanding feature that we could use. Writing a lot of code for test cases in Selenium is much more complicated than creating a small test in Postman. So that'll make our life much easier.

I've been working with Postman for the past six years.

Postman is pretty stable. When I was using the browser-based version, it took a while to load. Now it takes a little time but not very much. It's about as fast as any other application. But when I was using the web app in my Chrome browser, the browser would crash, and sometimes my system would freeze. So we had that issue earlier, but the performance has improved a lot.

Postman is scalable. I can have multiple instances of Postman running tests simultaneously. If necessary, I can open two Postman instances and compare them with another test.

We also used LoadRunner to do some testing but that is for entirely different purposes. It's a load-testing tool for performance, whereas Postman is used more for functional testing. We mainly use Postman mainly to when a thing has occurred in your form. So when we're doing integration testing and all that, we use Postman. It is almost like a manual test where the processes are entirely different. For other purposes, we use tools like LoadRunner, Jenkins, and JMeter. We also use Selenium for automation testing and to execute our CFPB pipeline division.

Setting up Postman is pretty simple. You just download it and run the installer. It only takes one person to install and you can do it in around 10 minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Postman eight out of 10. I recommend investing in Postman, which has a lot of features. You can use it to save scenarios then export, store, and reuse them. Postman already has a lot of features that I like.

Learn what your peers think about Postman. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
NS
Software Quality Assurance Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We can easily define the variables and it gets automatically updated

• "The variables part is good. We can easily define the variables and we don't have to manually do a change every time, it gets automatically updated."
  • "If we have a certain build on one machine it won't work with another build even if we are using the same URL. It would give us a connection refuse. So developing environment compatibility would make it better."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Postman is API testing for our product. We haven't automated the request and response part yet, like how we used to do for automation scripts. Basically, we are just shooting the URL's and recording the response. As of now we have multiple API's and we are using the collection so that we can run it together in a single flow, like an automation execution.

Then we use the basic variables and the collection variables. We even saw that we have some additional validation through the response code and the status code, like if there is an expired date then we should be expecting 200 status codes. We are doing those kinds of things now. We have been using Postman for the API testing for two to three month.

What is most valuable?

The variables part is good. We can easily define the variables and we don't have to manually do a change every time, it gets automatically updated. Secondly, I like the validation feature which is required for our automation testing. This way we can see that our test case passed. I think we could add some more validation but we need to do more research on that. For example, how can we play with it and find the response code and the other statuses? We need to do more research on how we can validate the exact response and the code, and how we get the response messages.

We prefer Postman as it is the most usable solution. It's really accessible. We also use SoapUI for API testing. But we prefer Postman, based on the reviews, based on our research, and how easily the solutions are available if we get stuck somewhere.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what can be improved, I would expect extra features that would make our work easier.

I just saw that it's functioning is based on the machine. Meaning, if we have a certain build on one machine it won't work with another build even if we are using the same URL. It would give us a connection refuse. So developing environment compatibility would make it better.

Other than that, I don't see anything more to improve. As it is now, I get for a return whatever I am expecting. That's why I gave it a seven or an eight. Because I'm not expecting much on that portion.

Because, we are mostly focused on that I would expect more validation points.

In terms of stability, it didn't crash or take time to load or anything like that. We did not face any issues with stability. It's a very old tool, so it's been used a lot. It gets daily usage.

Right now, two to three people are testing it and other people are joining in. We have individually different user ID's and we don't have to go chasing anything because we are using the free version now. Because we are not using the paid version I won't be able to see the scalability yet because we are just doing the basic stuff, such as a request hit and run.

The initial setup is very straightforward. We just have to download and do the setup. We already have the collection so we just have to share it with the teams and import the project. Furthermore, we didn't create the project and we had to do everything manually before creating the variables and still the installation was not complex.

We also use SoapUI.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten I would rate it an eight.

AP
Senior Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Simple to use and projects are easily stored; somewhat complex, UI needs simplification

• "Simple to use and you can easily store your projects."
  • "The solution is quite complex partly because the UI needs simplification."

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use a REST API for testing related to third-party applications, integrating services with third parties responsible for food delivery. Use cases include onboarding for when a new store opens, uploading the menu on the third-party app. and an API for customers to order from a menu. We also use Postman for payments, whether debit or credit card. It covers all the validation points, including whether a card is fake, stolen, invalid or blocked. We are customers of Postman and I'm a senior consultant.

How has it helped my organization?

We observed that in contrast to SoapUI Pro where you're only able to save your project, Postman allows you to also save your responses so that if something isn't working you can go to your saved results and verify the responses.

What is most valuable?

The solution is simple to use and you can easily store your projects. We mainly use Postman for our manual validation, but you can also schedule the automated validation. It offers multiple scenarios for a single API that you can run whenever needed. It offers a validation kind of functionality and the execution report of scripts. How many passed and how many failed. There's no manual intervention required, you click on the run button and that's it. The dashboards are good and the solution is user-friendly. The solution gives you the capability to run your use cases without manual intervention.

What needs improvement?

The solution is quite complex and not so easy to understand at first glance. Part of the problem is the UI which needs simplification. There are many features available but they need to structure things more so that they're not scattered on the screen which complicates things. Each time you run the solution, you have to manually provide a username and password because those details are not automatic. That's a pain point for us. It also lacks a feature that will integrate with your database. I think this is a drawback of most applications whether it's Postman or SoapUI Pro. If you want to automate something when you're using the huge APIs, everything needs to be automated using dynamic data and that takes additional time.

I've been using this solution for six months.

We're a large organization and I imagine there are around 1,000 people using this solution. For maintenance and upgrades, our organization has the repository to maintain all software. Though it's freeware, you cannot install it directly and we have a separate team responsible for maintaining all the software.

We use the Postman community if we have any problems.

The initial setup is straightforward. You just have to install the application, there is no complexity in that. Deployment takes a few minutes and then you build up your URI and start using it. In total, it takes less than half an hour.

We don't pay for any license, the solution is freeware. There are some additional features that we do need to purchase.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to figure out your requirements and if you need something special, then you will have to compare the different applications and figure out which gives you better results.

I rate the solution seven out of 10.

Asya Kundush
Product Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
A stable and user-friendly solution that provides different workspaces and more visibility about the APIs

• "It is nice to have different workspaces. You have your personal workspace, and then you have a team workspace. In general, I like its UI. It is quite cool."
  • "I have recently noticed that, for some reason, I am not able to import collections in JSON. It is weird because I was able to do it before. When you create a new collection and documentation, in tests, you usually have to click Save. If you don't click Save, your collections don't sync with other devices, which is something I don't like. It is not clear for the users in a shared workspace, and I usually forget to click Save and end up losing all the collections that I created. I create a lot of routes, and clicking Save all the time isn't efficient. Instead of clicking Save all the time, there should be an option to save everything in one go."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our APIs. We also use it for automated testing.

How has it helped my organization?

In general, we have more visibility about the APIs that we have and how they work. We also have more visibility about the documentation. A lot of users are now familiar with APIs because Postman has quite a user-friendly UI. There is an educational improvement.

What is most valuable?

It is nice to have different workspaces. You have your personal workspace, and then you have a team workspace. In general, I like its UI. It is quite cool.

What needs improvement?

I have recently noticed that, for some reason, I am not able to import collections in JSON. It is weird because I was able to do it before.

When you create a new collection and documentation, in tests, you usually have to click Save. If you don't click Save, your collections don't sync with other devices, which is something I don't like. It is not clear for the users in a shared workspace, and I usually forget to click Save and end up losing all the collections that I created. I create a lot of routes, and clicking Save all the time isn't efficient. Instead of clicking Save all the time, there should be an option to save everything in one go.

I have been using this solution for about two years.

In general, it has been quite stable. I did not see any issues apart from the recent issue related to importing collections in JSON.

We have around 10 users of this solution. It is good for now. We don't have plans to increase its usage.

I did not have an opportunity to contact them.

Its price is moderate as compared to other competitors. The version that we are using is not open source, so it is not free.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that the tool that you choose will solve the problems that you have and meet your goals. I only have experience with Postman, so I can't recommend anything else.

I would rate Postman a nine out of ten.

Elvis Duric
QA Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A stable solution for creating, sharing, and testing APIs

• "The user-interface is very good."
  • "There needs to be more flexibility surrounding the testing of SOAP APIs."

What is our primary use case?

We use Postman for testing the functionality of REST APIs.

Within my organization, there were roughly five people using this solution, however, currently, I am the only person who is developing API testing tools.

What is most valuable?

The user-interface is very good.

What needs improvement?

Actually, I received some errors regarding the testing of SOAP APIs. There's definitely some space for improving the user's experience. There needs to be more flexibility surrounding the testing of SOAP APIs. Currently, they are primarily based on JSON files — invest APIs actually.

I know that SOAP APIs are considered a little outdated but they're still in use. Unfortunately, because of this, I have to search for another solution that supports SOAP APIs, because Postman doesn't.

I have been using this solution for roughly one year.

It's a very stable solution. Regarding the overall stability of the application and the test results that achieved — It's really a good application.

We haven't really had to contact technical support. We have been able to solve nearly all issues via online forums.

It's not exactly complex, but I wouldn't say it's straightforward either.

The deployment process was very quick; I believe it took roughly one week to get it all set up. Still, not all test cases were set up within that time period.

All implementation was done by our in-house team.

As we only had 10 APIs to test, we used the free version.

Recently, I compared Postman with JMeter 12 for testing the load performance of the same APIs.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution. It's one of the best solutions for testing REST APIs.

I had some great experiences using Postman, especially relating to REST APIs. Currently, I am in the process of learning about other tools suitable for API testing regarding SOAP APIs.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Postman a rating of eight.

Girish Khileganvi
QA Lead at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Offers good data-driven automation and response validation but the fields should be more organized

• "We can also submit requests multiple times and it allows us to capture the response each time by using utility scripts."
  • "I would like that if you click on one of the fields you should be able to see the entire row of fields, names, and values."

What is our primary use case?

Almost all the teams here depend on the APIs, which are built-in SOAP or JSON. We have multiple teams testing JSON and they use Postman. There are multiple applications teams that integrate their interfaces with APIs, and they use the Postman.

How has it helped my organization?

We used to test APIs with different kinds of data by keying in the data from Excel sheets and using it to test APIs in Postman. But now, our testing is more data-driven.

What is most valuable?

Among the valuable features are

• data-driven automation
  • response validation
  • testing of the performance of APIs.

We can also submit requests multiple times and it allows us to capture the response each time by using utility scripts.

What needs improvement?

When you get a response, for example, if you search the response and want to know how many numbers of fields, it displays 10 times. If a purchase has five to 10 cards in the response, instead of one of the fields being mandatory, it has to be part of each section of the cards. I would like that if you click on one of the fields you should be able to see the entire row of fields, names, and values.

Half of my career has been on web service testing only, and we have used Postman for JSON testing. For SOAP, we use ReadyAPI.

We only use Postman for JSON testing, but we don't have any issue with it.

We have also had no issues with scalability.

We have not had to contact Postman's technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward. It takes a maximum of five to 10 minutes.

What other advice do I have?

The deployment is done by the development team. We have a giant scrum we follow. Development does the deployment using XL Deploy. And right now they are not using Jenkins.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Kumara Subramanian
Director Web Technologies at Thapovan Info Systems Inc.
Easy to set up, and the Workspace is very helpful for working from different locations

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is Collections."
  • "I have display issues in my Windows that need to be fixed."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is Collections. It perfectly suits a microservice factor.

The workspace is very useful. You can save configurations in their cloud so that you can access them from home, or at the office because you log in to the same account. You don't have to recreate them.

What needs improvement?

I have display issues in my Windows that need to be fixed.

I have been using this solution for more than a year.

This is a stable solution. It's perfect.

We have between fifty and sixty employees who are all using this solution. We do not have plans to increase usage at this time.

I have not yet needed technical support for this solution.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup of this solution is simple and pretty much straightforward.

I can just open up a tab and use it.

We have perhaps ten people who maintain this solution

We are currently using the free version, but we have plans to buy a license.

I tried another solution but it was incompatible.

What other advice do I have?

I'm perfectly happy with this solution and I'm really enjoying it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud