Proofpoint Email Protection OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Proofpoint Email Protection is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Office 365 Protection tools. It is most often compared to Palo Alto Networks WildFire: Proofpoint Email Protection vs Palo Alto Networks WildFire

What is Proofpoint Email Protection?

Proofpoint Email Protection stops malware and non-malware threats such as impostor email (also known as email fraud). Deployed as a cloud service or on-premises, it provides granular filtering to control bulk "graymail" and other unwanted email. And business continuity capabilities keep email communications flowing, even when your email server fails.

Proofpoint Email Protection is also known as Proofpoint Enterprise Protection.

Proofpoint Email Protection Buyer's Guide

Download the Proofpoint Email Protection Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2021

Proofpoint Email Protection Customers

Blocket, University of Waterloo, Lincoln Memorial University, WellSpan Health, U-Haul, Carestream Health, Westinghouse

Proofpoint Email Protection Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Proofpoint Email Protection pricing:
  • "The licensing is basically $8/user."
  • "Proofpoint is fairly expensive."
  • "It is multiple times more expensive, which made it very much less attractive."
  • "Annually, it costs us about $92,000. This is pretty much what it costs us. There is no additional cost."

JN
Information Technology Help Desk Technician at a consumer goods company with 51-200 employees
Flexible, very secure, and offers excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a corporate or as an exchange email filter to protect, to stop any executables from coming through email, and to halt phishing scams. Basically, the product is for email security. We use it for our network. Also, if a user thinks that they didn't get an email, we can access the Proofpoint dashboard and go find missing mail that either people didn't get so we can rerelease it to them. Or if it did get quarantined, we can release and approve a sender. You can blacklist and whitelist sender lists. If you are getting phishing scams that get through the filter, you can end up shutting… more »

• "The solution offers very good flexibility. You can blacklist or whitelist with ease."
  • "The Secure Mail aspect should have an Outlook add-in, instead of an external dashboard that outside users have to access."

What other advice do I have?

I'd advise users to get the package with the Secure Mail feature and then make sure that you whitelist all your important IPs and then add domains of all known users, so you don't run across any blocked or missing mail. Our users have learned to be more careful and look for more phishing attempts from it, because now they know what a normal email should look like instead of, "Hey, here's a link you need to update your password." And then just clicking away. Through this they've been able to see, because we can show them, "Look, this is blocked, this wasn't, here's why." Right. So we've been…
GH
Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A reputation-based service that denies the connection from known malicious sites

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as a firewall for our email environment; it's basically a reputation-based service. It denies the connection from known bad sites. That's the biggest protection they have when you go to the antivirus and anti-spam modules. They even have an encryption piece in it.

• "Proofpoint is the main tool for blocking spam because it denies the connection altogether."
  • "It's scalable, but the devil's in the details — you have to know your email volumes."

What other advice do I have?

You need to be able to connect the dots on what the licensing buys you and what that particular module is to accomplish. Therefore, it behooves you to get someone that understands how the product works, what each module's intended for, what the licensing entails, and the cost-effectiveness of it. It's one of the top products out there. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine. It's just got the BC feature on it. If you get Defender for Office 365 specifically, that is the key to email protection from the Microsoft product. If you don't have that, then…
Learn what your peers think about Proofpoint Email Protection. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
534,057 professionals have used our research since 2012.
NR
Head of IT Department at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I previously used Symantec and switched because the quality of support, stability, and accuracy went down

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Proofpoint Email Protection is for email security, to secure all the inbound and outbound emails.

• "I like all the features with Proofpoint, such as how it filters the spam and marketing mail, lost reality mail, blocks phishing attacks, blocks malicious attachments, and stops phishing links. Also it can defend against the business email compromise impersonation technique. It is a complete solution for all email attacks. It filters for the bad, malicious attachments. If there is any executable file, it can be deleted. It is a good, complete solution."
  • "The reporting section could be enhanced. I like some reports but if they could allow us to create custom reports with more flexibility it would enhance the reports more."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that any customer who is concerned for his users has to look at Proofpoint. I recommend Proofpoint. You see a lot of attacks coming through emails. So I recommend Proofpoint for any customer, regardless of the size of the company. By the way, they have another product for smaller companies, the essential version. I have the enterprise version because I need more customization with more features. The smaller companies who have less than 100 users can go with the essential version, which is cheaper. On a scale of one to ten, I would give Proofpoint Email Protection a nine.
MD
Chief Information Officer at a consumer goods company with 51-200 employees
Reliable, scalable, protects your email from threats, and has good support

What is our primary use case?

I am the CIO, I have consultants. We use Proofpoint Email Protection to filter out malicious emails.

• "The setup was easy."
  • "I would want better spear phishing protection in the essentials package."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise people to look at the options. It does what it says it's going to do. The only issue is the cost. I would rate Proofpoint Email Protection an eight out of ten.
Sheikh Rehan
Data Security Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Excellent quarantining function and very powerful

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is the encryption tooling of email security. Emails sent externally are automatically encrypted as is all the information included. There are some DLP related options available in Proofpoint, which we enabled with the help of classifying the emails, like internal, external, private, public, sharing. That's our main use. We are customers of Proofpoint.

• "Provides better control over emails, especially those sent via Office 365 on the cloud."
  • "Integration for reporting needs to be improved, it's too complex."

What other advice do I have?

We've observed that we have almost 99.9% control over our emails now in an easy to configure and easy to implement solution. It's simple and easy for the administration as well. We're looking forward to any upgrades or updates they provide. I recommend this solution if it suits your needs and requirements. If you have concerns about data floating in emails, it's a good solution. If that's not an issue then you can choose something else. I rate the solution nine out of 10.
Luis Brown
Chief Information Security Officer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable and capable anti-phishing, anti-malware, and threat protection solution

What is our primary use case?

We use it in front of Office 365 for anti-phishing, anti-malware, and threat protection.

• "Its anti-phishing functionality is the most valuable. Certainly, the biggest problem I have is phishing."
  • "It has too many screens. It is kind of a conglomeration of products. In other words, they built product A, product B, and product C, and they are yet to integrate them into a single administrative console. I would certainly like to see a more seamless administrative interface. I would also like to see them include more bang for the buck, by including features like email fraud protection, rather than making their product so piecemeal, where you are buying little pieces. I agree with the idea of having multiple tiers or layers, but maybe as small, medium, and large, as opposed to an a la carte menu."

What other advice do I have?

They're the best in the breed. I would rate Proofpoint Email Protection a ten out of ten for the capability of doing its job. I am happy with this solution.
JE
CISO at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good stability and a straightforward setup with good URL rewrite capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to block malicious email and spam in bulk.

• "The initial implementation is pretty easy to handle."
  • "We find the cost to be prohibitive."

What other advice do I have?

We're simply customers of the solution. We don't have a business relationship with the company. I'm not sure which version of the solution we are using. The advice that I would give to other companies who are considering using the solution is to really test the systems, even for outlandish attacks, to see if it will hold up. For me personally, I actually have two Proofpoint accounts. I have a Proofpoint account for something completely unrelated to B&H and I was able to prove that's almost anything you think of you can do, although it might not say in the documentation or the people at…
reviewer1620072
User
Good security with reasonable pricing and a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for a variety of services. It's mostly related to email.

• "The solution scales quite well."
  • "The incident reporting on offer needs to be improved. It's lacking right now. It should be on the platform somewhere."

What other advice do I have?

We're just consultants. We help our clients with this product. Overall, we've been happy with the product and the results we've gotten. I would rate the product at a nine out of ten. While I don't have specific advice, I can say that the solution is easy to handle and we didn't have any troubles with the initial implementation. It was pretty seamless. I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.
See 4 more Proofpoint Email Protection Reviews
Download our free Proofpoint Email Protection Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.