Kevin Heron
Technical Operations Manager at Ocient, Inc.
Free, flexible, easy to implement; it's based on KVM and independent nodes are a great feature

• "Less infrastructure required; simple to use."
  • "Lacking in enterprise features."

What is our primary use case?

This is a free version of VMware and that's why we're using it. It does everything that VMware can do and it's more flexible. We were looking for a virtual solution and we're a startup, so the cheapest is best. We are customers of Proxmox and I'm the technology operations manager.

What is most valuable?

The feature I like best about this product is the fact that they have independent nodes. Proxmox is based on KVM and essentially you could lose a node. All the hosts that are running are evacuated elsewhere in the cluster and away you go. I have reduced infrastructure and I'm familiar with it because at the heart of the hypervisor is Debian Linux and I'm a Linux administrator. It didn't require learning a whole new platform and it's so easy to use. Proxmox will be in my toolbox forever, I love it.

This is a really great solution and the more VMware raises their costs, the more appealing it is. I'd be very nervous if I were one of the big companies because you're going to have administrators like myself discovering Proxmox and the cost is zero. With this solution, when something goes wrong, you Google it, you figure out the problem and fix it. Of course if you're an enterprise company, that's something else.

What needs improvement?

The product should have more enterprise features, perhaps DRS. I don't think Proxmox has the ability to sense that a host is running hot and needs to be evacuated. So DRS, dynamic resource scheduling, is a feature that constantly monitors the host and if it sees a particular host taking up a lot of resources, it will take that host off and throw it on a different host in the cluster that's not running as hot and doesn't have as much utilization. It protects the overall cluster

As above, I think the DRS would be a helpful additional feature.

I've been using this solution for six months.

As long as you're monitoring your host yourself, it's a stable solution.

I can't really speak to the scalability. I haven't looked into it yet. We're a very small company and we have about five people using the solution, all at the director or senior level. We have a senior application developer, and a director level manager who brought the product in.

Does a three and a half minute setup sound reasonable to you? When I first installed it, I thought there must be more to it. I downloaded the ISO onto a thumb drive and made it bootable. Then you boot the server, boot off the thumb drive. You have to answer about six questions and that's it. Very simple.

What other advice do I have?

My only recommendation to anyone thinking of implementing this solution is to read up on it, but give it some serious consideration because it really is a great product. In other words, don't let the freeware label scare you off.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Private Cloud
BH
Systems Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Great affordability, scalable, and stable

• "The affordability of the solution is the product's most valuable aspect."
  • "The initial setup has a pretty steep learning curve."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution to cover anything that VMware does.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has made it so that I can operate things without having to spend thousands and thousands of dollars. It's saved my company a lot of money.

What is most valuable?

The affordability of the solution is the product's most valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

The so-called free support that the solution offers doesn't allow you to access the repositories. If they would allow that access like they say they do it would be better. It does work for about a week and then it times out and never works again.

It would be preferable if they had a different viewing product other than VNC.

The initial setup has a pretty steep learning curve.

I'd like to see more high availability capabilities.

I've been using the solution for a couple of years.

The solution is very stable. That's not a problem. I can't recall dealing with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is scalable. If a company needs to expand the service, it can do so easily.

We just have a handful of users on the solution. However, it fluctuates. Many users handle web servers and virtual guests.

Technical support has room for improvement. It would be nice to be able to call them and have conversations with them during stateside hours. Right now, that's not possible. Right now, it's more run through email and chats.

I'd rate their service seven out of ten. It's okay, but it could be better if calling them directly was an option.

We previously used Hyper-V and VMware, however, we switched to this solution mostly due to the costs involved in running the other options.

The initial setup isn't too bad, however, it's a bit complex. There's definitely a learning curve for people implementing it themselves.

The solution is very affordable in comparison to competitors.

What other advice do I have?

We're simply customers. We don't have a business relationship with the solution.

We're currently using the latest version of the solution.

We use both cloud and on-premises deployment models.

The solution isn't too bad, and not too hard to figure out. Users considering taking on the solution can just watch some videos and train up a little bit. It will make it easier when it comes to setting everything up and understanding how to handle the solution.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It would be great if there was someone available in stateside hours instead of just German hours. Other than that, it offers pretty much everything we need at a pretty great price.

Learn what your peers think about Proxmox VE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DD
Founder, President at Everyman Technologies, inc.
Easy to deploy and allows us to run services without using dedicated hardware

• "The most valuable feature is the ease of deployment."
  • "There are some things that need to be done using the command-line interface, and these should be moved into the web-based interface."

What is our primary use case?

There are a number of services that we need, such as a dedicated phone system and an Active Directory server, that we run in a virtualized environment. Doing so means that we don't need to use dedicated hardware for them.

How has it helped my organization?

This is a low-use, but a high-need solution for us. It is helpful because it means that we don't need dedicated hardware for all of our services. It has allowed us to grow the way we have, over the past couple of years.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of deployment.

For the most part, it is quite user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

The interface can be a little bit rough in places. There are some things that need to be done using the command-line interface, and these should be moved into the web-based interface. There are also aspects related to storage that are difficult to do with the interface.

We have been using Proxmox for between two and three years.

We have had absolutely no problems with stability.

Scalability is excellent and it seems to run with quite a low overhead.

I have been experimenting with adding nodes to the cluster so that we can create more of a high-availability system. The process is just a matter of installing the software and then copying and pasting the license key. It couldn't be easier.

I have not had problems that necessitated contacting technical support.

I did not use a similar solution prior to implementing Proxmox.

The initial setup is easy.

I am the person who is responsible for configuring and maintaining Proxmox.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend trying. There are others that are bigger and better, albeit priced accordingly. This should definitely be tried and put through its paces.

Overall, this is a good product, although there is always room for improvement.

Jose Vladimir Leon Higueras
Virtualization Solutions Specialist at datec
Very stable and doesn't require more resources for memory RAM, but some processes are not automatic

• "Proxmox is free, very stable, and doesn't require more resources for memory RAM. It's fine for a small data center."
  • "One issue with Proxmox is that some processes are not automatic. For some processes, you have to do it manually by command line."

What is our primary use case?

With Proxmox, we use the hypervisor of Proxmox and Proxmox backups. In VMware, I see all the production, like vSphere, vCenter, vRealize Operations Manager, vSAN, Workspace ONE, and VMware Horizon. Right now we are working with NSX.

For VMware, as a partner, I have many cases of vSAN as a hyperconvergence solution. This solution is very popular in my country, mostly with banks. There are many solutions that we have implemented and that are very successful. Horizon is another solution that is highly requested by clients. Because of the pandemic, the VDI and Remote Desktop are often requested from our clients. Those two are very good solutions. From my experience, I don't have many problems with them.

What is most valuable?

Proxmox is free, very stable, and doesn't require more resources for memory RAM. It's fine for a small data center.

What needs improvement?

One issue with Proxmox is that some processes are not automatic. For some processes, you have to do it manually by command line. I don't know about the last version of Proxmox, but I had that problem with this version.

I've been using this solution for one year. In my last job I was a final client, so I worked with vSphere and the vCenter. I did a migration from vSphere to Proxmox, and I was in charge of this infrastructure using Proxmox. I am working for a partner of the VMware product as a presale VMware specialist.

Most implementations are on-premise. We really don't have implementation on cloud. I'm from Bolivia, and we recently have been introducing on-cloud solutions, but most of the solutions are on-premises.

Proxmox is very stable.

For deployment, we used eight blade servers.

Proxmox is is free.

I've worked with VMware, vSphere, vCenter, and vRealize Operations Manager. VSphere works perfectly. The enterprise version is very complete, and you get almost everything you need in data center.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Proxmox VE 7 out of 10.

RC
Information Technology Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to install, stable, and scalable

• "It is easy to deploy."
  • "We are using servers individually, and we are looking for a reliable application that allows us to hop between servers with high availability."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our file servers. Most of the applications are file servers and some are employed as web servers for internal applications that we use.

What is most valuable?

Most of what we use is for file servers and for some internal web server applications for local use.

It is easy to deploy.

What needs improvement?

We are using servers individually, and we are looking for a reliable application that allows us to hop between servers with high availability. It is one of our primary goals to have a hyper-converged solution. With the high availability, we can make some hop-switch deployment teams between our servers.

It could be more user-friendly with the configuration.

We have been using Proxmox VE for almost one year.

We are using Version 6.3.

We have no issues with the stability of Proxmox Ve.

Proxmox VE is a scalable solution, but we are not necessarily interested in expanding our usage. We want to make some changes to something that is more reliable.

We have no support from Proxmox VE. Our support is from the internet. It would be helpful to have some support included.

The initial setup is easy and straightforward. We set it up locally.

Our team does the configurations.

It takes a couple of days to deploy.

We are looking for another Hypervisor similar to VMware.

What other advice do I have?

Proxmox VE is a great solution for small enterprises for small businesses. I'll recommend it just for that use.

I would rate Proxmox VE an eight out of ten.

RH
Assistant Information Technology Manager with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up, stable, and fits in well with our organization

What is our primary use case?

We use it wherever we need virtualization.

What is most valuable?

It fits in well with our organization. It works and does what it says it does.

What needs improvement?

Its performance and support can be improved. Currently, there is a cost for support.

We've been using this solution for probably two years now.

We are satisfied with the stability of the solution.

It leads itself well for scaling out. It is being used on almost all of our servers here. We have 46 users, and everyone who works here uses this solution.

I didn't contact them. …

What is our primary use case?

We use it wherever we need virtualization.

What is most valuable?

It fits in well with our organization. It works and does what it says it does.

What needs improvement?

We've been using this solution for probably two years now.

We are satisfied with the stability of the solution.

I didn't contact them.

Before Proxmox, we used Zend Server.

The initial setup was fairly straightforward. The initial deployment probably took two hours.

We implemented it through an in-house team. We have two staff members for its deployment and maintenance. Their roles are IT Manager and Assistant IT Manager.

I'm sure there was or is an ROI, but I don't really get to see that end of the operation.

I am not aware of the licensing cost, but there is a cost for support.

We tried VMware and decided to go with Proxmox VE. The cost was the key factor.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend this solution. I would rate Proxmox VE a nine out of ten.

AC
Jefe de Servicio de Ciberseguridad at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Open-source, feature-rich, stable, and easy to install

• "There are many features included with Proxmox."
  • "The facility of deployment is an area that needs to improve."

What is our primary use case?

We are implementers and we implement solutions for our customers.

We tested Proxmox VE as a solution to build our applications

What is most valuable?

There are many features included with Proxmox.

What needs improvement?

The facility of deployment is an area that needs to improve.

The support is an area in need of improvement.

I would like to see support for other container technologies such as Kubernetes, as well as other platforms.

If they had local container support, it would be very good for Proxmox.

It's a stable solution.

We have 10 people in our organization who are using this solution.

We have plans to increase our usage.

They provide medium level support. Support needs improvement.

Previously, we were using VMware vSphere. We went with Proxmox because of the price and the features.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was very simple.

It's an open-source solution that can be used free of cost.

Hybrid Cloud
JL
Sub-director with 51-200 employees
A complete and stable solution with good tools for managing the servers

• "The whole solution is good. It has good tools that help me in managing the servers. It is also stable."
  • "It is a good solution, but it is very complicated in some ways. It is not easy. You must have experience in the console mode to do some configurations. A lot of documentation and YouTube videos are available that you can use to learn about it."

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution for the virtualization of many servers. I have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

The whole solution is good. It has good tools that help me in managing the servers. It is also stable.

What needs improvement?

It is a good solution, but it is very complicated in some ways. It is not easy. You must have experience in the console mode to do some configurations. A lot of documentation and YouTube videos are available that you can use to learn about it.

I have been using this solution for one year.

It is stable.

I have not scaled it. What I have covers all my needs. In two or three years, I will see if I need to scale it.

I have local technical support, and it is excellent.

It is complicated to set up. It took us one week.

What other advice do I have?

For implementing this solution, you must have technical support.

I would rate Proxmox VE a 10 out of 10. It is an excellent and complete solution. I really like it.