Proxmox VE OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Proxmox VE is the #3 ranked solution in our list of best Server Virtualization Software. It is most often compared to Hyper-V: Proxmox VE vs Hyper-V

What is Proxmox VE?

Proxmox VE is a complete virtualization management solution for servers.

Proxmox VE Buyer's Guide

Download the Proxmox VE Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Proxmox VE Customers

Municipality of Trento, SwitchMIA, inDenova, Valmeita City Council, Alpha IT AS, Grupo Inversor Veracruzano S.A.P.I. de C.V. (GRIVER), Laut und Schoen, IT-Services - Hamburg e.K., KMI Learning, Dynacom Tankers Management Ltd., Serwise AG

Proxmox VE Video

Archived Proxmox VE Reviews (more than two years old)

Irfan Rosid
System Administrator at INET GLOBALINDO
An inexpensive solution that offers easy integrations and has good stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for some websites and applications.

What is most valuable?

The solution allows for easy integrations.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs a better billing system.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is stable.

We buy support from Proxmox.

We currently use a mix of solutions, so we haven't just switched from one to another. We also use VMware and OpenStack.

The initial setup was complex. We took about a month to fully deploy the solution.

What about

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for some websites and applications.

What is most valuable?

The solution allows for easy integrations.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs a better billing system.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is stable.

We buy support from Proxmox.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

The solution isn't expensive. It's cheap for us.

What other advice do I have?

We use the hybrid cloud deployment model.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Carey Butler
CEO at Heurist GmbH / Heuristica Information Services
Good performance and it works right out of the box

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is virtualization. We have an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is performance. It is fast.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more monitoring in the next release of this solution. Currently, it's simple structured monitoring.

I have been using this solution for about six months.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution. It recognizes memory, so if you add a new hard disk then it is ok. We have two people who use this solution.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is virtualization.

We have an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is performance. It is fast.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for about six months.

This is a stable solution.

We have two people who use this solution.

I have never contacted technical support for this solution. I've found everything that I needed to know on the internet.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward, and it is relatively easy to set up.

I performed the implementation myself.

We do not require any staff for deployment and maintenance. It works right out of the box.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Proxmox VE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Grant-Donald
Information Security Consultant at Excellenta
A stable, scalable solution that offers great compatibility with other operating systems

• "The solution's compatibility is very good with multiple operating systems. The moving systems are very good and migration is excellent. These are the most valuable features for us."
  • "The solution should include some features that can help with converting raw files into different formats. It should offer better management around raw files."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is testing any software by Proxmox.

What is most valuable?

The solution's compatibility is very good with multiple operating systems. The moving systems are very good and migration is excellent. These are the most valuable features for us.

What needs improvement?

The solution should include some features that can help with converting raw files into different formats. It should offer better management around raw files.

I've been using the solution for two months.

The stability of the solution is very good.

The solution is scalable.

I've never been in touch with technical support so I can't speak to any direct experience with them. Their website, however, is very helpful.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We use the standard community edition of the solution. We use the on-premises deployment model.

The planning of the volumes is very important because if you're converting from one format to another, you can have some challenges there. I would advise others to plan the setup very, very well so that you do not have to migrate systems into different formats. That's the only challenge that we had.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

ICT Solution Especialist with self employed
A flexible and affordable approach, especially for on-site deployment

• "Proxmox allows us to achieve affordable performance while keeping high levels of data protection and flexibility."
  • "This solution needs a more flexible and efficient backup solution in the dashboard."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution as a virtualization and Linux container platform for a small-medium Enterprise. It's highly stable, flexible, expansible, and compatible. The characteristics of the software combined with the hardware performance allow for the deployment of services in many different and variable scenarios, especially on-site for companies that need this kind of deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

Proxmox allows us to achieve affordable performance while keeping high levels of data protection and flexibility. It also enables the deployment of services for small enterprises that need on-site deployment, and at the same time, it helps keep the budget under control. It maintains very low energy, noise, and steric footprint for the office environment.

What is most valuable?

For me, there are several features that I find valuable, including:

• Use of open-source software.
  • Compatibility with simple Linux container solutions on the same hosts.
  • The integration of a simple and flexible backup solution.
  • The dashboard/control panel.

Worthy of special mention is the community, which is excellent at solving or explaining difficulties for the users of the solution.

What needs improvement?

This solution needs a more flexible and efficient backup solution in the dashboard.

The capacity for integrating deployment through WAN is needed. Something like a Federation tool for Central monitoring and management.

UPS supervision integration would be a nice feature because right now this has been integrated by ourselves using another tool that is not on the platform.

Eight years.

Besides using the free unlicensed version, the updates are very stable. I have only had one reported incident in eight years. Systems are deployed in office scenarios.

This solution scales relatively easily.

I have never used the technical support. Instead, I have relied on the community.

Prior to this solution, I used VMware VSphere 5 and 6, but it requires mostly professional (certified) IT equipment. The performance impact of the hypervisor and control panel is very heavy and it requires an independent backup solution. It also does not support Linux containers.

The initial setup was relatively simple. We had a couple of servers and an iSCSI SAN, VLAN, and LACP Bonding with no HA.

We performed the implementation in-house.

The time it took for us to see the ROI was very short.

Proxmox is free software, but if you prefer the support and a more rested repository then you can pay for it.

I evaluated several products including Docker, HyperV, VirtualBox, and KVM.

GF
‎Director of Computing Platforms at NetFortris
An excellent choice for budget sensitive operations.

What is our primary use case?

We currently have more than 160 virtual machines and LXC containers on Proxmox in an all Linux production environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Get the community level if you are on a budget --- keep your software updated to the latest releases.

What is most valuable?

Live migration. It is easier to balance loads across hypervisors if a given container or virtual machine uses more resources than its peers.

What needs improvement?

IMPORTANT - use separate physical network for Corosync/Heartbeat functions. This is obscure in the documentation - but you'll find it.

Heartbeat was overwhelmed due to all hypervisors…

What needs improvement?

Heartbeat was overwhelmed due to all hypervisors running a single NIC - nodes started to fence themselves when load was high.

Use best practices for network segregation - management / heartbeat / live migration / Ethernet-based storage should be on different networks (VLANs).

N/A.

Very straightforward.

In-House.

The cost is excellent. An excellent choice for budget sensitive operations.

Technical Support Analyst at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Saves a lot of time compared to imaging physical desktops

• "We now have the ability to quickly build and deploy VM desktops for application testing with the snapshot ability to rollback, as required."
  • "Saves a lot of time compared to imaging physical desktops."
  • "The template option allows us to build a desktop in a VM, then quickly deploy as a linked clone."
  • "Some of the more advanced features and options required for setup still need to use the console and hand edit config files."

What is our primary use case?

I needed a free virtualization solution for training, development work, and application testing with the ability to quickly deploy VMs based on a single VM template and snapshots.

How has it helped my organization?

By implementing Proxmox, we now have the ability to quickly build and deploy VM desktops for application testing with the snapshot ability to rollback, as required. Saves a lot of time compared to imaging physical desktops. The web interface is quick to learn for techs to deploy VMs based on templates, as required.

What is most valuable?

The template option allows us to build a desktop in a VM, then quickly deploy as a linked clone. The hard drive file on the template is used (read-only), then all changes are saved in a separate hard drive file. It is like deploying a new VM based on snapshots.

Less than one year.

No issues.

No issues.

initial setup was a bit of a learning curve, as with any new product. Some of the configuration required uses the console and options were not available in web interface (like setting MTU on NICs).

Founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We have developed a tried and tested method to set up servers and it works well once you know how you want your servers to work.​

What is most valuable?

It's a solid, stable and powerful open source virtualisation product that has allowed us to bring virtualisation to smaller SMBs at an affordable price.

How has it helped my organization?

All our client servers are now virtualised, which has reduced the risk of downtime due to a server failure that used to happen with non-virtualised servers. Servers can be backed up using snapshots etc.

What needs improvement?

Storage IO management seems the weakest link although this could be hardware related. On decent servers this is not an issue but on smaller custom built servers we have occasionally had issues with IO speed. It is a well thought out product and the newer versions just seem to get better n better.

We've been using it for seven years.

There have been no issues deploying it.

There have been no issues with its stability.

We haven't had any issues scaling it for our needs.

I've never really needed it as I've been able to work out most things intuitively.

We also looked at VMware. Our perception is that this is a superior product but that is subjective as it is not mainstream.

It's straightforward. We have developed a tried and tested method to set up servers and it works well once you know how you want your servers to work.

It's hard to quantity but using Proxmox has significantly boosted our server capabilities and service offering increasing our revenue.

It's open source and provided one has enough experience with Linux and servers it doesn’t cost much other than time to become an expert in the product.

We also looked at VMware.

What other advice do I have?

It's well worth using. It's highly recommended and we have had no issues.

it_user4071
IT Administrator at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Performs well with Windows but lacks Mac support due to Mac's EULA
With respect to some of the cons, Proxmox VE performs well enough with Windows if you use KVM's virtio devices in lieu of emulated hardware. However, the freely available virtio drivers are not WHQL-certified, which produces annoying error messages when you attempt to load them. With respect to the lack of Mac OS X support, a large part of this is due to Apple's terms of use for OS X. I can't really blame Proxmox or the KVM folks for not pursuing Mac OS X support since doing so would violate Mac OS X's EULA and could potentially get them or their customers sued. Lastly, I can't say that I've ever had any stability issues with the Proxmox VE web interface, but using the graphical console can be a struggle. I don't think I've gotten it to work in anything except Mozilla Firefox.

it_user3498
Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Simple install open source, but poor support for USB and OSx

Valuable Features:

· Bear metal simple install · Runs on many different form factors- requires minimal hardware but take advantage of super-computer. From a tiny media servers to huge enterprise machines. · No CPU or memory restrictions · Many media options – local, iscsi, NFS, etc. · Run full virtualization and container based virtualization simultaneously (OpenVZ and KVM) · Intuitive web managed interface · Many enterprise advanced features · Free commercial use allowed · Open source with very active community · Large repository of open source easy to download pre-made container images that go from hyperlinks to VMs in minutes.

Room for Improvement:

· MS windows performance · Immature VDI · Poor USB handling · Poor support for OSx · commercial support options · GUI interface stability (v2.0)