Mickael Aljian
Service management specialist at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
A stable and scalable monitoring solution with a useful integration

• "The Slack integration is fantastic, and I've actually found it to be very useful recently."
  • "Integration into service management ticketing systems could be better. They should simplify the integration into big service management platforms like ServiceNow, Remedy, and Cherwell. They're really into monitoring, but they don't do any self-resolution. It would be better if the company moved more into the AIOps space so that you could actually kick off some remedies. I know that you can execute some commands from the tool, but you need to develop those all yourself. It would be really handy if they had some auto-remedy scripts that they could develop on top."

What is our primary use case?

We use PRTG Network Monitor for network monitoring. We mainly monitor uptime on our switches and our network environment, and we're looking at expanding into server monitoring as well.

What is most valuable?

The Slack integration is fantastic, and I've actually found it to be very useful recently.

What needs improvement?

Integration into service management ticketing systems could be better. They should simplify the integration into big service management platforms like ServiceNow, Remedy, and Cherwell.

I have been using PRTG Network Monitor for nearly ten years.

PRTG Network Monitor is very stable.

PRTG Network Monitor is very easy to scale.

The technical support was really good because I did get answers for what I was trying to do. They're very good.

When we first built it, it was very simple, but we completely rebuilt our PRTG about four years ago with the help of an external partner. It took us about one or two months to deploy this solution.

We don't perform any maintenance as such. Just every now and then, we update to the latest version to keep it fresh. We're always interested in making sure that our environment is as secure as possible. That's why we always put in the latest code.

We implemented this solution with the help of an external partner. Our experience with the external partner was good.

The price is actually on the cheaper side. If you're going with the unlimited license code, it's very cheap compared to competitors unless you're going for something free, like Zabbix. But you get what you pay for, and it doesn't have the full suite of products or tools like SolarWinds or a ScienceLogic.

What other advice do I have?

If someone were looking for a basic monitoring tool for servers and networks, I would recommend PRTG Network Monitor. If they're looking at the whole stack and potentially integrating with an ITSM platform or looking at it for something like CMDB correction as well, there are other tools that I would actually recommend. I would recommend something like ScienceLogic if they were looking for full-stack integration with ITSM, CMDB, monitoring, and auto resolution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give PRTG Network Monitor an eight.

RV
ICT-Manager at Heinen & Hopman Eng BV
Easy to implement and configure with good technical support

• "Technical support has been very helpful so far."
  • "We need something that is more predictive. We would prefer if it wasn't a solution that was corrective and instead offered predictive insights so that we can handle problems before they even occur."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for monitoring.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to implement and configure.

The client list capabilities are excellent. For us, the solution is a good fit.

Technical support has been very helpful so far.

The solution has been stable for the six months that we have used it.

We've found that the product is scalable.

What needs improvement?

I get messages from all the things that happened, and we are informed about issues after that fact. We need something that is more predictive. We would prefer if it wasn't a solution that was corrective and instead offered predictive insights so that we can handle problems before they even occur.

We are using EMC storage and we are finding that it is difficult to implement monitoring for it for some reason. If they could work to make that easier, that would be ideal. It should work with commonly used equipment and offer more templates.

Every time there is an update, the templates should also be updated as well.

We've been using the solution for about six months. It hasn't been too long just yet.

The stability has been great. There are no bugs or glitches. We do not find that it crashes or freeze. It's been reliable. The performance is good.

The scalability is good. If a company needs to expand it, it can.

At the moment, we use it with four technicians and we have our own domain to handle. We have a central monitoring system in our IT office.

So far, technical support has been good. We are based in the Netherlands, however, they do offer worldwide support. They are helpful, responsive, and knowledgeable. We've been very happy with the level of attention we can get.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's pretty easy to configure. it's not overly complex or difficult.

The pricing is reasonable so far. It's proven to be a good investment for our company.

Although we aren't actively searching for other solutions, from time to time, we do check the market to see what else is available and compare it to this product.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user.

We're working with the latest version of the solution at this time.

I'd advise new users that, although the setup and configuration are pretty easy, it's a good idea to start with training so that you get to know the product before you begin using it.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten We've been happy with it in general.

Learn what your peers think about PRTG Network Monitor. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,695 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ramakrishna Panda
Director - Operations at Shell Networks & Solutions Ltd
Straightforward to set up, good pricing, and has good integration capabilities

• "The initial setup was easy. We didn't have any issues with the process and everything rolled out smoothly."
  • "Their penetration within the market could be much better. If their pricing was lower, even though it's reasonable now, it might help them achieve this."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in order to monitor the network performance and stability.

What is most valuable?

The pricing of the solution is pretty good. We don't find it too unreasonable. It's pretty compatible if you look at it in comparison to the competition.

The solution offers good integration capabilities.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs a better graphical grid. A good example of what I mean is SolarWinds, which has an excellent graphical grid. It would help with organizations that have a bit more complexity.

I've been working with the solution for the last ten years. It's been a decade. I've worked with the product for a long time.

The stability seems to be quite reliable. It's a good product. I can't comment on dealing with any bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

I've never personally had the chance to contact technical support. Having never reached out directly, it would be hard to discuss their knowledgeability or responsiveness.

We found the initial setup to be pretty straightforward. It wasn't too complex. We didn't have any trouble setting everything up.

We handled the implementation ourselves, in-house. We didn't need to hire any outside consultants or integrators.

The pricing of the solution is fair and in line with the rest of the market. It's not too high.

While I didn't properly evaluate SolarWinds, I have seen other people using it and I found that it had a very nice graphical grid and GUI.

What other advice do I have?

We only use the product ourselves. We're end-users and customers, not resellers or consultants.

For smaller networks, I would recommend this solution. That said, if the network is complex, I would recommend a company evaluates another product instead. Something like SolarWinds may be a better option in cases of complexity. It's not the scalability, rather graphically, the GUI you get in terms of displays and things of that nature look much better in SolarWinds. I should preface this recommendation by saying that I have not used it. I've seen people using it. I feel that looks much better and would be better suited based on what I have seen.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. If it had a better graphical grid similar to SolarWinds, I would rate it higher.

JG
Senior Network Analyst at New Signal Systems
Web-based, friendly, easy to use, good graphs, and easy to implement

• "The up-to-date graphs and the history are very good."
  • "The free version only gives us 100 free sensors to use. It would be nice if there was double that."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients use this solution to see if the network is up and running, for pings and services such as emails and disk space.

How has it helped my organization?

I use it for monitoring since I am the system admin to keep things up. Overall, the information it gave didn't offer any suggestions to change anything.

What is most valuable?

The up-to-date graphs and the history are very good.

They keep adding services, such as MS SQL monitoring, and email monitoring to keep the different parts of the e-mails going.

The implementation is easy, initially.

Also, the servicing of Linux and Windows Operating Systems are useful.

What needs improvement?

The additional services such as MS SQL and email monitoring took a bit of work, so I would like to see it easier to do.

I have been acquainted with PRTG Network Monitor for approximately seven years.

I have used it for a customer in the last 12 months.

We are using the latest version. I keep them updated.

It's a stable product and I have not experienced any issues.

Our clients are not that large. It's single-server monitoring for some systems. We didn't have to scale it.

Our clients are small businesses, with under 100 seats.

We have not needed to contact technical support, but the forums are pretty good.

We did not use technical support because it was pretty straightforward. I kept my monitoring pretty simplistic, and I didn't try to do anything extra that would cause more angst and set things up.

We haven't used a monitoring system before.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was easy to set up and implement.

To have the additional features costs a lot. It's too much. If it was half the price, we would purchase more.

All monitoring systems are close to the same pricing scheme.

What other advice do I have?

For others who are interested in using this solution, I would recommend it. Please use it, it's good. It's very friendly, easy to use, and it's web-based, which means you don't have to be logged into a server to get something done.

Also, the updates are easy to do, just double click and away it went. On occasion, updates had to be done from the server, but that wasn't very often.

I would rate PRTG Network Monitor a nine out of ten.

BA
IT Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 11-50 employees
A stable solution that satisfies our requirements for email notifications and device errors and comes with a free version

• "It is able to satisfy all our requirements in terms of email notifications and specific errors on the devices."
  • "I would like to have a VM version that can be installed on a cloud such as Azure. We're using Azure, and we're eliminating on-premise servers. It would be helpful to have a PRTG version that can be installed on the Azure cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We use it specifically for our network devices and service providers. We're able to know if the connection with a certain internet service provider is still alive.

What is most valuable?

It is able to satisfy all our requirements in terms of email notifications and specific errors on the devices.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have a VM version that can be installed on a cloud such as Azure. We're using Azure, and we're eliminating on-premise servers. It would be helpful to have a PRTG version that can be installed on the Azure cloud.

I have been using this solution for five to six months.

It is stable. So far, we didn't have any problem with the product.

We're using the free version, and we can only enroll up to 100 sensors.

Currently, we have two system administrators who use this solution.

We didn't use their support. We're using the free version.

We were using SolarWinds. SolarWinds is much more expensive than PRTG.

For those who have no experience with PRTG, it would be quite complex. Luckily, we have an experienced and knowledgeable staff. Our team did not encounter any problems. The whole set up took two to four days.

We set it up ourselves. We had two system administrators for its deployment.

We are using the basic PRTG that we can download for free. For now, we only need to monitor less than 100 devices. For more than 100 devices, we would need to buy a license. PRTG is much cheaper than SolarWinds.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. I have friends in other companies who are also using PRTG, and their feedback is also good.

I would rate PRTG Network Monitor an eight out of ten. We're happy with the results.

LW
President at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good compilation of system information on the central site; lacks pre-packaged integrations with other product sets

• "Good compilation of the system's information."
  • "Can be slow in the way it polls the different engines."

What is our primary use case?

We have offices around Australia, we're a company organization with a couple of hundred people where we monitor four or five offices and their networks. We use the solution on a daily basis. We're a customer of PRTG and I'm president of our company.

What is most valuable?

We like the solution's report writing and the way that it compiles the system's information from around the network and brings it all back into the central site and the interface.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved by increasing the way that it polls the different engines which we feel is quite slow. It also doesn't integrate very well with service desks or anything else. Pre-packaged integrations with other product sets would be something we'd like to see in any future release.

I've been using this solution for three and a half years.

The solution is stable except for when you want to do upgrades and then they try to move everyone over to the cloud versions.

The solution is scalable, it's just a matter of including another piece of software and hooking it up through the network, through the Cisco routers, and away you go.

I previously used Zabbix and Nagios which are problematic performance wise. They're not modern and neither are the interfaces. We prefer PRTG.

The initial setup of the solution was easy. Our guys did some of it in-house and then we got an external party to help us, a local specialist. Implementation probably took about three months to get it to the point where we were happy with it.

What other advice do I have?

Use of the product requires planning. Start with your ideas on paper first before you start doing your deployment and then ask yourself 'what if' questions - what if this or that happens.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

KC
Senior Manager, Enterprise Infrastructure at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good scripting and customization, but documentation could be better

• "PRTG gives us true visibility of the downtime of particular circuit functions. So if a circuit is up but not routing traffic, I will know with this tool. I can write a customized script for a sensor to detect specific things."
  • "PRTG's documentation could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We're using PRTG for network, asset, and infrastructure monitoring. I have five network and infrastructure engineers using the solution, and we're not using it extensively. It's one of our secondary monitoring tools.

How has it helped my organization?

PRTG gives us true visibility of the downtime of particular circuit functions. So if a circuit is up but not routing traffic, I will know with this tool. I can write a customized script for a sensor to detect specific things.

What is most valuable?

One useful feature is PRTG's scripting ability. We can go into the system and create monitoring sensors, for lack of a better phrase. So I can look for something specific instead of just uptime or downtime on a specific asset.

What needs improvement?

PRTG's documentation could be improved.

I've been using PRTG Network Monitor for about a year.

PRTG's stability is fine.

We're not that big of an organization, so I can't say much about scalability, but we've had no problems with it.

I've had no contact with PRTG support.

In the past, we used SolarWinds. We switched to PRTG because it was more scriptable and customizable.

Setting up PRTG was straightforward and took a few hours.

After the initial acquisition cost, the license is about four grand a year.

What other advice do I have?

I rate PRTG Network Monitor seven out of 10. If you are considering PRTG, you should take into account the fact that the data is going up into the cloud in a private, isolated console or a tenant in a multi-tenant environment. Just be aware of what you want to look for and know how to get it in terms of status, uptime, etc.

Other
Jose Robles
CEO & Founder at SISTECO
Reseller
Lightweight, network discovery works well, and generally maintains the health of your network

• "Network Discovery is a feature that our customers like a lot."
  • "The technical support could respond a little bit quicker."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider in the IT industry, and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. We are using this product ourselves, and we have several customers who are also using it.

It is basically used for monitoring alerts, such as memory from a server has gone down.

What is most valuable?

Network Discovery is a feature that our customers like a lot.

The ability to maintain the health of the network is very good.

The user interface is okay.

This is a very lightweight solution.

What needs improvement?

The technical support could respond a little bit quicker.

A better console would be an improvement.

I have been working with PRTG Network Monitor for approximately five years.

The stability is excellent.

The networks in Guatemala are not very large, so scalability has not been an issue for us.

Our clients are typically medium-sized businesses.

We are working towards increasing the number of deployments.

I would rate the technical support and eight out of ten. They could be a little better in terms of response speed. Usually, they respond the next day.

The initial setup is straightforward and very simple. The length of time required for deployment depends on the size of the network but usually, we're talking about two hours.

We provide technical support to our customers who are using this product.

On average, two people are required for deployment and maintenance.

The pricing is okay and it is cheaper than some competing products.

The other product that our customers normally consider is SolarWinds.

SolarWinds is a more robust solution, and as such, it is much more expensive than PRTG. Most of the time, based on budget, our customers choose PRTG.

What other advice do I have?

For me, this is a nice solution and I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Download our free PRTG Network Monitor Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.