PRTG Network Monitor OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

PRTG Network Monitor is the #5 ranked solution in our list of best Network Monitoring Tools. It is most often compared to Zabbix: PRTG Network Monitor vs Zabbix

What is PRTG Network Monitor?

PRTG Network Monitor runs on a Windows machine within your network, collecting various statistics from the machines, software, and devices which you designate. PRTG comes with an easy-to-use web interface with point-and-click configuration. You can easily share data from it with non-technical colleagues and customers, including via live graphs and custom reports. This will let you plan for network expansion, see what applications are using most of your connection, and make sure that no one is hogging the entire network just to torrent videos.

To monitor a large IT environment, it's important to be able to scale PRTG up. Paessler PRTG Enterprise Monitor includes all the proven capabilities of PRTG Network Monitor, which are enhanced by exclusive ITOps Board for a service-oriented, central overview of multiple PRTG servers.

PRTG Network Monitor is also known as PRTG.

PRTG Network Monitor Buyer's Guide

Download the PRTG Network Monitor Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

PRTG Network Monitor Customers

Jameson Bank, Sidnix, RungeICT, MedicalAnimal, Truck-lite, GamingGrids, The Covell Group, Forsythn County Schools, NetMass, Musgrove Park Hospital, Lanes Health, Columbia Southern University, Vodafone, Intrust Bank

PRTG Network Monitor Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about PRTG Network Monitor pricing:
  • "PRTG is now available as PRTG Enterprise Monitor, and the price varies depending on the total number of sensors the customer buys"
  • "We used a product called SolarWinds in the past, and its cost was high. Whereas, PRTG came in at a third of SolarWind's cost."
  • "Cost was a factor when selecting this solution, but it just did everything we wanted it to do."
  • "Our licensing costs are 10,000 euros over three years."
  • "It's an annual license that is based on the number of endpoints that we're tracking and using."
  • "I'm paying something like €1000 per year for the maintenance. I've got unlimited sensors."

SH
IT Strategy, Management Consulting, Training and Development at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
If there is an incident, it not only tells you that there is an incident, it will also tell you the root cause

What is our primary use case?

PRTG is a very versatile and flexible tool. We have a vast number of users spread over more than 300 installations in India and neighboring countries. We have many different types of customers who use this tool for project control monitoring and other types of network monitoring.

• "I would boldly say that this is the most scalable network monitoring tool that I know of"
  • "Maybe in the future there will be room for improvement, but currently, there is nothing pressing that I can think of"

What other advice do I have?

PRTG is available as a service network monitoring service in the cloud, with the option of purchasing up to 1000 sensors. For small companies, it's more of a network tool because smaller organizations like to focus on their code builders. Smaller companies cannot afford or attract very technical people to monitor the network with cloud hosting. PRTG can fix that, but it's only good for small workloads. The process of network management itself has to be organized. You have to organize yourselves in terms of how your network is structured: how do you want to monitor and manage it? Even that has…
Shirwan Khan
Infrastructure Engineer at Lookers plc
A one stop solution that covers all aspects of the business which need principal monitoring

What is our primary use case?

I look after the infrastructure side of Lookers. We have 8000 users, 400 various servers, and 190 sites. We've been rolling the product out and are relying on the infrastructure purely for the whole of our business.

• "It is a central solution in terms of how to actually use it. It has a very easy dashboard. Everything is concise. We are able to create custom sensors. For different parts of the business, we have many products across many environments, and it works for everything."
  • "With custom sensors, there is a lot of work which needs to be done in the background, just for it to be tailor-made for the specific thing that we are actually monitoring. We take a lot of time with the custom sensors. I would like to see the customer sensor be more robust and a bit more varied."

What other advice do I have?

It is a one stop solution for us. It covers all aspects of the business that we need for principal monitoring. Obviously, depending on the organization, it won't work for everyone. Some companies may have more locked down network rules. For companies like ours, in terms of a one stop solution across all of the environments, I would definitely recommend it. The desktop app is something that is not been used that much because we tend to use the web UI. As the main infrastructure team, we do use the desktop, but we prefer the web UI.
Learn what your peers think about PRTG Network Monitor. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,768 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Rajesh Vishwakarma
Regional Head of IT, India and Middle East at Sulzer India
Overall great tool, attractive features, uncomplicated install but performance needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

The solution is for network monitoring.

• "The bandwidth monitoring is a very attractive feature, it can tell you the bandwidth utilization while it is attempting to connect to the host for feedback."
  • "The solution has to evolve as an end-to-end monitoring solution. It has to do better at understanding the application at the deepest level."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. However, if they are a beginner, there are other products out there that might be more appropriate, like SolarWinds. I rate PRTG Network Monitor a seven out of ten.
TG
Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Has the ability to easily do a lot of mapping and is user friendly

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case with PRTG is measuring and monitoring the system. We have a few servers running in redundancy. There are two monitoring ones. One for the maintenance staff with more details and the other one is for general control and assessing when there is a user error or 401. We use it on the business logic level. With redundancy, the FRC is just to monitor whether there is a complete down or only one system goes down. We see everything being monitored on the screen. When we do mapping it's easier for us to monitor whether it's the server's fault, the feature's fault, or it's the… more »

• "The feature I like is that it can easily do a lot of mapping."
  • "They could improve the process of updating the license."

What other advice do I have?

In the beginning, I downloaded PRTG for free and did my own experiments. I would advise others to do that, too. Download it and try it out. When you do that you'll see where the limitations are. On a scale of one to ten, I would rate PRTG Network Monitor about an eight. I still think there's room for improvement, especially when it comes to updating the event configuration.
PA
Senior System Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
An intuitive interface with good alerting, and it groups devices to eliminate redundant notifications

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using this product for alerting. We receive notifications for events like the interface going up or down and remote access, as well as information such as the interface volume. We're using the basics of it to monitor our switches and routers and primarily just the networking equipment for up-down status.

• "It is easy when it comes to dependencies of devices, so if your router goes down, the three or four switches behind it will automatically be paused so that you don't get multiple alerts."
  • "I would like to see them take their graphing tools and convert them into a collector so that we can point telemetry to them"

What other advice do I have?

We have created several maps for this product, and there is at least one map that people specifically use. It is put up on our wall for the helpdesk, and it has all of the switches and routers in a pie so that you can see what's down and what's up. It is a nice red, green, and blue color coordination. This is displayed along with the utilization of firewalls and our egress points, and some other critical points in the network for the service desk to look at. If they get several calls from a site and they can look up at the map and see that there is a bunch of red, possibly recognizing a…
TM
Head of Customer Service - Advanced Technologies at a logistics company with 501-1,000 employees
Very stable with great alerts and an easy setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for applicative monitoring, or network and applicative monitoring for some customers so that they can make sure that all equipment is up, and sometimes we use it to look for some more accurate sensors.

• "The initial setup is very simple."
  • "I know we're going to move to Docker applications and I understand that PRTG does some monitoring regarding this. I do not know if it is complete. If it's not yet complete, it's something they should consider improving."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and end-user. We don't have a business relationship with PRTG. We're currently using the latest version of the solution. Im not a network specialist, bu5 I would recommend PRTG. We've been extremely satisfied with its capabilities overall. I would rate it at a nine out of ten.
JulianRodriguez
Senior Network Engineer at Axesat S.A
An easy initial setup with good stability and great reporting capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to recollect data from past equipment.

• "The initial setup is pretty easy."
  • "The licensing policy needs more flexibility."

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and end-user. We don't have a business relationship with the company. This solution's deployment is in the server through our machine. We have maybe eight or ten data machines with it. I'd recommend this solution for larger implementations. Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.
RV
ICT-Manager at Heinen & Hopman Eng BV
Easy to implement and configure with good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for monitoring.

• "Technical support has been very helpful so far."
  • "We need something that is more predictive. We would prefer if it wasn't a solution that was corrective and instead offered predictive insights so that we can handle problems before they even occur."

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user. We're working with the latest version of the solution at this time. I'd advise new users that, although the setup and configuration are pretty easy, it's a good idea to start with training so that you get to know the product before you begin using it. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten We've been happy with it in general.
See 13 more PRTG Network Monitor Reviews
Download our free PRTG Network Monitor Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.