Pulse Connect Secure OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Pulse Connect Secure is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top SSL VPN tools. It is most often compared to OpenVPN Access Server: Pulse Connect Secure vs OpenVPN Access Server

What is Pulse Connect Secure?
The Pulse Connect Secure enables you to give employees, partners, and customers secure and controlled access to your corporate data and applications including file servers, Web servers, native messaging and e-mail clients, hosted servers, and more from outside your trusted network using just a Web browser.

Download the SSL VPN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Pulse Connect Secure Customers
Axcient, Baloise Group, Cygate, Catholic University of America, Datec Inc, Revlon, Santa Monica Networks, 7-Eleven
Pulse Connect Secure Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Pulse Connect Secure pricing:
  • "The cost of the product is high, but worth it because of the utility and great product support."

Pulse Connect Secure Reviews

Girish Vyas
Architect - Cloud Serviced at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
The flexibility enables us to design solutions well, save effort and cost, and better support customers

• "I can safely say this is one of the best solutions I have seen for VPN access. It can achieve what other vendors may not be able to. This product will train you about exactly what an SSL should be. You can leverage it to do whatever you wish, the way you wish to do it. This is the solution if you want a perfectly scalable product for your enterprise that can help your mobile users and integrate with the latest technologies."
  • "Zero test FDP (Fraud Protection and Prevention) should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Pulse Connect Secure as a secure VPN device connection solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to be flexible with our changing requirements. Our social environment supplies each customer with a different solution, so it could become tedious without a multi-themed solution. That would cost our organization money. At the same time, it will cost in quality of service to the customer. Because of the flexibility we can design solutions well, save effort and cost, and support customers better.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is flexibility. All the features have served their purpose for us because it is so flexible. It can achieve every solution that you expect it to or can be integrated with other solutions.

What needs improvement?

Features that we would like to see in future releases include:

• Zero test FDP (Fraud Protection and Prevention).
  • Improving customization like make an IVS for servicing multiple transactions from one customer. It is possible now but could be simplified.
  • Bandwidth monitoring. It is functional but can be better with graphs, like exactly bandwidth is used per user.
  • Telemetry or IPFIX support could also be useful for reporting. We can do that ourselves but it would be a good addition to the package.
  • An STP solution, which is relatively new to the market.

The organization has been using this solution for about 10 years.

The version we are currently using is very stable. The previous version had many problems but they have been resolved.

For scalability, I would give it a 10 out of10. The solution is not just scalable, it's available, too. You can actually put two devices in a cluster so if one machine goes down service is not interrupted. You can add other configurations as well.

The customer support is awesome. If you give them the problem they'll give you the solution immediately. If not, they'll go find out what the problem is. They also can route a future request through sales and get it taken care of as a hotfix.

The level of support justifies the price.

Personally, I have used Cisco ASI and F5 devices. Pulse Connect Secure was already in place at this company when I arrived, so for this company there was no reason to test or use another solution.

It was not very difficult to deploy and can be done in minutes. They have very good documentation so you can always rely on it for answers. However, the time for deployment will differ depending on the skill and experience of the user who is deploying it. The deployment is pretty fast if you're just doing the regular SSL VPN proxy connection. If you're doing something more complex, it will take around two days. If you're doing an automation configuration for the first time and have never done it before, it is difficult because you have to read the documentation and train. At maximum that would take a week. Once you are used to the UI, it will be a matter of minutes.

The return on investment is utility. It services all our needs so we can better service our customers.

The cost of the product is high, but worth it because of the utility and great product support.

What other advice do I have?

I can safely say this is one of the best solutions I have seen for VPN access. It can achieve what other vendors may not be able to. This product will train you about exactly what an SSL should be. You can leverage it to do whatever you wish, the way you wish to do it. This is the solution if you want a perfectly scalable product for your enterprise that can help your mobile users and integrate with the latest technologies.

I would rate it a ten out of ten.

Miroslav Prokes
Director of IT Technical Department at Prague Stock Exchange
Provides good security for our virtual desktops while working remotely from home

• "The most valuable feature is being able to securely connect and use virtual desktops."
  • "This solution normally works but at times, we have had trouble with connectivity."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to create a secure connection for our virtual desktops when we are working from home or other remote locations.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

This solution normally works but at times, we have had trouble with connectivity. Disconnections are not regularly happening but they do cause us problems. This type of instability is very serious and we don’t know why the disconnections happen. We have a license for 50 users and there are only 25 of us, yet sometimes it is a problem.

It is not easy to create a connection, so this is something that should be improved.

We have been suing Pulse Connect Secure for between four and five years. We began using this solution when it was still owned and managed by Juniper Networks.

We have experienced instability because of intermittent disconnections.

We use this solution on a daily basis. Things have also changed recently because of the COVID crisis. Prior to this, many people did not work from home. Now, however, most people are working from their homes and need a secure connection.

Scalability does not seem to be a problem. We currently have 50 licenses and close to 25 regular users. We expect this to increase because we have 80 or 90 people in total, who may be working from home.

I have not spoken with technical support personally. I believe that support is given through our local partner.

Our in-house team performed the implementation and deployment, including the RSA token.

We are now looking for another solution because our infrastructure is from Cisco and we have the VPN concentrator. Half of our staff are using Cisco VPN. It is without an RSA token and our users are saying that it is more stable. It is also easier because they only need to use a name and password.

What other advice do I have?

From my research and experiences, I would say that this is not the best solution on the market, but it is one of the best. When it comes to setting up a super-secret connection, it may not be possible to make it much easier. I think that when it comes to a secret connection with two-factor authentication, you need to follow the steps.

The only real complaint that I have about Pulse Connect Secure is the instability that comes from the disconnections.

Find out what your peers are saying about Pulse Secure, Cisco, Citrix and others in SSL VPN. Updated: September 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
KM
Infrastructure Project manager with 10,001+ employees
Customer-friendly, flexible, and easy to deploy, but needs central management and better support and documentation

• "It is customer-friendly. It is quite easy for our users to connect. There is also the flexibility of the features."
  • "We want to switch to another solution because there are some challenges with the support from Pulse. The quality of documentation is also not good. It is sometimes very hard to find documentation that provides a solution and describes how all this works."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it as a remote access solution for our users and partners.

What is most valuable?

It is customer-friendly. It is quite easy for our users to connect. There is also the flexibility of the features.

What needs improvement?

We want to switch to another solution because there are some challenges with the support from Pulse. The quality of documentation is also not good. It is sometimes very hard to find documentation that provides a solution and describes how all this works.

I definitely miss a single pane of glass where we can have several clusters deployed across the globe. We should have the capability to manage all clusters centrally. Currently, we have to log in locally on each cluster to see what is going on there. A single pane of glass for monitoring and viewing the overall health of our solutions, services, and licenses is currently missing.

I have been working with Pulse for at least four years.

Recently, there were some issues, and we had to upgrade it quickly.

When it is on-prem, it is not so scalable. To scale the solution, you also need to deploy new machines and configure them from scratch. It is not as easy as a cloud solution where you scale automatically according to your needs. The problem for us is that it is on-prem.

We are not satisfied with their support. They usually cannot find the solution to our problems. If they manage to find a solution, it is not mature. It is mostly a workaround with some hidden scripts.

I did not participate too much in the installation, but it was quite straightforward to deploy and configure. There were no big challenges.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it depending on the size of the organization. I would recommend it for small to medium size organizations but not for big global companies.

I would rate Pulse Connect Secure a six out of 10.

Download our free SSL VPN Report and find out what your peers are saying about Pulse Secure, Cisco, Citrix, and more!