Pulse Connect Secure OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Pulse Connect Secure is #2 ranked solution in top SSL VPN tools and #7 ranked solution in top Enterprise Infrastructure VPN tools. IT Central Station users give Pulse Connect Secure an average rating of 8 out of 10. Pulse Connect Secure is most commonly compared to OpenVPN Access Server:Pulse Connect Secure vs OpenVPN Access Server. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
What is Pulse Connect Secure?
The Pulse Connect Secure enables you to give employees, partners, and customers secure and controlled access to your corporate data and applications including file servers, Web servers, native messaging and e-mail clients, hosted servers, and more from outside your trusted network using just a Web browser.

Download the SSL VPN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Pulse Connect Secure Customers
Axcient, Baloise Group, Cygate, Catholic University of America, Datec Inc, Revlon, Santa Monica Networks, 7-Eleven
Pulse Connect Secure Video

Pulse Connect Secure Reviews

Miroslav Prokes
Director of IT Technical Department at Prague Stock Exchange
Provides good security for our virtual desktops while working remotely from home

• "The most valuable feature is being able to securely connect and use virtual desktops."
  • "This solution normally works but at times, we have had trouble with connectivity."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to create a secure connection for our virtual desktops when we are working from home or other remote locations.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

This solution normally works but at times, we have had trouble with connectivity. Disconnections are not regularly happening but they do cause us problems. This type of instability is very serious and we don’t know why the disconnections happen. We have a license for 50 users and there are only 25 of us, yet sometimes it is a problem.

It is not easy to create a connection, so this is something that should be improved.

We have been suing Pulse Connect Secure for between four and five years. We began using this solution when it was still owned and managed by Juniper Networks.

We have experienced instability because of intermittent disconnections.

We use this solution on a daily basis. Things have also changed recently because of the COVID crisis. Prior to this, many people did not work from home. Now, however, most people are working from their homes and need a secure connection.

Scalability does not seem to be a problem. We currently have 50 licenses and close to 25 regular users. We expect this to increase because we have 80 or 90 people in total, who may be working from home.

I have not spoken with technical support personally. I believe that support is given through our local partner.

Our in-house team performed the implementation and deployment, including the RSA token.

We are now looking for another solution because our infrastructure is from Cisco and we have the VPN concentrator. Half of our staff are using Cisco VPN. It is without an RSA token and our users are saying that it is more stable. It is also easier because they only need to use a name and password.

What other advice do I have?

From my research and experiences, I would say that this is not the best solution on the market, but it is one of the best. When it comes to setting up a super-secret connection, it may not be possible to make it much easier. I think that when it comes to a secret connection with two-factor authentication, you need to follow the steps.

The only real complaint that I have about Pulse Connect Secure is the instability that comes from the disconnections.

KM
Infrastructure Project manager with 10,001+ employees
Customer-friendly, flexible, and easy to deploy, but needs central management and better support and documentation

• "It is customer-friendly. It is quite easy for our users to connect. There is also the flexibility of the features."
  • "We want to switch to another solution because there are some challenges with the support from Pulse. The quality of documentation is also not good. It is sometimes very hard to find documentation that provides a solution and describes how all this works."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it as a remote access solution for our users and partners.

What is most valuable?

It is customer-friendly. It is quite easy for our users to connect. There is also the flexibility of the features.

What needs improvement?

We want to switch to another solution because there are some challenges with the support from Pulse. The quality of documentation is also not good. It is sometimes very hard to find documentation that provides a solution and describes how all this works.

I definitely miss a single pane of glass where we can have several clusters deployed across the globe. We should have the capability to manage all clusters centrally. Currently, we have to log in locally on each cluster to see what is going on there. A single pane of glass for monitoring and viewing the overall health of our solutions, services, and licenses is currently missing.

I have been working with Pulse for at least four years.

Recently, there were some issues, and we had to upgrade it quickly.

When it is on-prem, it is not so scalable. To scale the solution, you also need to deploy new machines and configure them from scratch. It is not as easy as a cloud solution where you scale automatically according to your needs. The problem for us is that it is on-prem.

We are not satisfied with their support. They usually cannot find the solution to our problems. If they manage to find a solution, it is not mature. It is mostly a workaround with some hidden scripts.

I did not participate too much in the installation, but it was quite straightforward to deploy and configure. There were no big challenges.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it depending on the size of the organization. I would recommend it for small to medium size organizations but not for big global companies.

I would rate Pulse Connect Secure a six out of 10.

Download our free SSL VPN Report and find out what your peers are saying about Pulse Secure, Cisco, Citrix, and more!