Pure FlashArray X NVMe Overview

Pure FlashArray X NVMe is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top NVMe tools. It is most often compared to Dell EMC PowerMax NVMe: Pure FlashArray X NVMe vs Dell EMC PowerMax NVMe

What is Pure FlashArray X NVMe?

Pure Storage FlashArray//X is the world’s first enterprise-class, all-NVMe flash storage array. It represents a new class of storage – shared accelerated storage, which is a term coined by Gartner – that delivers major breakthroughs in performance, simplicity, and consolidation.

Pure FlashArray X NVMe is also known as Pure FlashArray//X NVMe, Pure FlashArray//X, FlashArray//X.

Pure FlashArray X NVMe Buyer's Guide

Download the Pure FlashArray X NVMe Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Pure FlashArray X NVMe Customers

Fremont Bank, Judson ISD, The Nielsen Company

Pure FlashArray X NVMe Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Pure FlashArray X NVMe pricing:
  • "Its price could be better. It is not too expensive, but it is the high-end cost. It is kind of a Rolls-Royce. You pay a lot, but you get a lot out of it. So, the price pressure on the way down would be great, but at the end of the day, if you need to do the work, you just pay for it."
  • "As far as the licensing costs, everything is included in the license."
  • "They can tout the functionality and cutting edge technology that they have, but that's where the price tag comes in. The cost is high, but I think as they grow their business and get more customers that it will probably go down a little bit."
  • "We pay approximately $50,000 USD per year in licensing fees."
  • "With VMware, we pay $300,000 annually."
  • "Our licensing fees are $500,000+ USD."

Pure FlashArray X NVMe Reviews

Henry Mayorga
VP Infrastructure & Security at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Oct 10, 2020
Excellent diagnostics, intuitive console, and fantastic support

What is our primary use case?

We needed a flash array to support our core databases for maximum performance. We use SQL. We were using vSAN before, but we were having some problems with it. So, we wanted to isolate the databases with dedicated storage. Rather than using a vSAN solution using servers, we tested a couple of solutions, and we figured out that Pure FlashArray X NVMe was giving us the best performance.

• "It is very easy to install and configure. It has got excellent diagnostics. If you really need to see how the box is performing, the console gives you a lot of information. You can set thresholds as well as alerts based on the thresholds, which is a very powerful functionality. They are very proactive. They know how to monitor and manage the systems. They see a problem, and they are all over it before us. They see the problem before we see it, which is very good."
  • "Right now, the box itself is just strictly working as a backend storage system. It would be fantastic if we could access it directly like a NAS device through network access or SIS drives. I think they have an interface, but I am not sure how good it is. If we could address a box directly on the network without having to go through a server, it would be great. The replication schemas could be improved. We are not using replication on the storage level right now. We use a different type of replication. If their replication would be as good as the one that we have, I would probably run the replication schema because it might be faster, but I don't know that for a fact. So, I cannot say that they have good replication. All I can say is that they need to inform us better."

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend using it. I would also suggest negotiating and testing it. I bought a very small system of 10 terabytes that I put in one of our labs for testing so that my team can learn it, and I could play with it. We tested it, and after we were comfortable with the capabilities of the system and building things in VMware, which is a really critical part of the whole integration, we tested three different solutions from HP, Dell, etc. After the testing, it was clear to us that the Pure FlashArray X NVMe was the easiest to manage and configure and had the best performance that…
SeniorSyb3f0
Senior Systems Administrator at a consultancy with 5,001-10,000 employees
Sep 5, 2019
Enables us to consolidate as much of the physical hardware as possible within our data center

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution on private cloud for all our Oracle workloads and databases, and also for our enterprise virtualization infrastructure running BMR. The main reason why we run our VMware on Pure was because it went hand in hand with the ease of use, configuration, compatibility, and the support. It was a recognized solution very early on and Pure Storage and VMware have a great partnership. It offers support for compatibility drivers and things like that. We also use some of the integration tools from Pure Storage to help us manage some of the day-to-day tasks that we do with our storage… more »

• "What I really like about this program, is that it is easy to use and easy to configurate."
  • "Every time I think of something that needs to improve, they're one step ahead, which I love. The only area I wish to see improve, I believe is coming, is in the FlashBlade product. Blade implementation fell short on a few of the services."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to 10 Pure Storage has rightfully earned a 10 rating. We are very proud to be a customer and I hope the developers will continue to innovate and keep up the good work.
Learn what your peers think about Pure FlashArray X NVMe. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
457,459 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jordan Hubbard
Manager of Infrastructure at a insurance company with 201-500 employees
Sep 10, 2019
The duplication algorithm enables us to get a lot more use out of less storage

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution primarily for production data for our virtual environment. We run a lot of SQL out of it. We use the on-premises deployment model.

• "The duplication algorithm allows us to get a lot more use out of less storage. We're running a five terabyte array right now and we're running probably about 30 terabytes on it. So the duplication rate is pretty phenomenal, without a cost to performance. It still runs pretty smoothly."

What other advice do I have?

Try to get as many discounts as you can if you go with Pure. If you don't need performance-oriented space or storage, Cohesity is very well priced and scalable. If you just need file server storage, you might not want to go with Pure. You might want to go with something a lot cheaper or more cost-effective like Cohesity. The Systems Engineer that we worked with was a huge help, too. I would rate this solution as a nine out of ten. It's very functional and very cutting edge. Technology just costs a lot.
    Mark Ballard
    CIO at Mid America Clinical Laboratories
    Sep 3, 2019
    Easy to use with good performance and saves us money on staffing

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for on-premises, VMware workload storage.

• "The most valuable features of this solution are its ease of use and performance."
    • "We would like to see VNC integration or be able to use Pure Storage with VNC."

What other advice do I have?

We run VMware on Pure, mainly because of the speed and the ease of use of the Pure storage interface. The joint solution has helped because we can do the same thing with a lot less tech. We use the vSphere plug-in for Pure. It helps because we don't have to learn the CLI for Pure. It allows my medium-level tech staff to do stuff that they normally would be a little nervous about doing on their own. We are big fans of this product, and for anybody considering this solution, I strongly encourage them to use it. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
    Director2957
    Director at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
    Sep 3, 2019
    Reduced time to insights but the scalability needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-premise deployment model of this solution. Our primary use case is for machine learning analytics.

• "It has benefited my organization because it has reduced time to insights."
    • "In the next release, I would like to see real-time analytics for further insight into consumption models."

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to someone considering this solution is, don't wait. Go for it. I would rate it a seven out of ten. There is room for improvement.
    Heimon Hinze
    Managing Director at Dr. Netik & Partner GmbH
    Reseller
    Jun 18, 2020
    Good performance and support, and the user interface makes administration easy

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we sell all sizes of Pure FlashArrays. The FlashArray X NVMe is one of the products that we provide to our customers. Our clients with their own data centers purchase FlashArray storage because they are replacing old storage systems. They often have HP systems with hard disks and these systems are old and too slow. They are replacing them with faster systems and don't want to have additional costs every three years to renew their storage. We also have a FlashArray for our own use.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the performance. One of the best features is the support, which is excellent. The user interface and reporting are good. It is easy to deploy and administrate this solution.

What needs

Consulta3c88
    Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Sep 3, 2019
    Stable, good technical support, and improved our operational efficiency

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our primary storage. Our deployment is in a private cloud environment.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is its ease of use."
    • "I would like to see replication and DR features in the next release of this solution."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is researching this or a similar solution is to give it a shot. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
    ITManage6d2c
    IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Sep 4, 2019
    A fast and reliable solution that is easy to manage from a single console

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for our on-premises, private cloud.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is reliability."
    • "The UI for this solution needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

VMware benefits our IT organization because of its ease of deployment and manageability. We are using VMware on Pure, and we have implemented this because of the speed. VMware is faster, so it helps when you log in. We use vCenter integration. It helps because you can see the storage added, and manage it from vCenter with a single console. The cost for Pure may be high, but the reliability and scalability make it well worth the money. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
    See 1 more Pure FlashArray X NVMe Reviews