Pure Storage FlashArray Overview

Pure Storage FlashArray is the #1 ranked solution in our list of best All-Flash Storage Arrays. It is most often compared to NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS): Pure Storage FlashArray vs NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS)

What is Pure Storage FlashArray?

Pure Storage FlashArray is the world’s first enterprise-class, all-NVMe flash storage array. It represents a new class of storage – shared accelerated storage, that delivers major breakthroughs in performance, simplicity, and consolidation. Pure Storage is fresh and modern today and will be for the next decade. Without forklift upgrades or planned downtime, Pure takes the work out of storage ownership and delivers unprecedented customer satisfaction.

Pure Storage FlashArray Buyer's Guide

Download the Pure Storage FlashArray Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Pure Storage FlashArray Customers

Nielsen, Lamar Advertising, LinkedIn, Betfair, UT-Dallas

Pure Storage FlashArray Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Pure Storage FlashArray pricing:
  • "Pure has been flexible with us on the pricing models."
  • "In terms of other contemporary arrays, Pure is something you need to have a use case for, as it's not priced for you to buy one off-the-shelf. If you have a use case, heavy lift Oracle Databases, any type of noticeable virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI), or need low latency and high throughput, you should consider all-flash at least and probably Pure Storage."
  • "The Evergreen Storage subscription is a really cool concept. As long as we maintain our subscription, we will get new controllers every three years and really never have a forklift upgrade like we currently are doing. Just that future-proofing is an ease off of my mind to know that I won't have to do what I'm dong right now again."
  • "We have a seen a reduction in TCO. It is definitely a cost-effective solution for us. We have seen ROI."
  • "The price, in general, is around $100,000, however, I know it costs more."
  • "We have 16 or 18 arrays. We like to do the three-year support model so that we get Evergreen and therefore, we get free upgrades. We pay around more than 1.5 million dollars."
  • "We do not incur additional costs beyond the licensing fee."
  • "I have had a couple of customers who have complained about the cost. It can be a little more expensive than some of the other platforms. After it has been installed, I have never had a customer say, "I wish we wouldn't have spent all that extra money." They have always been happy with the product after it has been installed. They might be on the fence about it because of the price, but everybody who I have ever seen install it, they are always happy with it."

JB
Sr Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A solution with high performance that is easy to install, troubleshoot, and manage capacity

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for general, primary storage in an on-premises deployment.

• "It comes with a large number of features out-of-the-box, which makes it easy for us to see problems and manage capacity."
  • "I would like to have an easy way to determine the cost per VM so that I can present a solution to our customers."

What other advice do I have?

After implementing this solution, we did see the performance impact. The performance had increased, although our customers did not see it. So as IT, on the backend, we could tell that something was happening but it didn't impact our customers. That is big for us because a lot of times, you have outages that IT recognizes that don't impact your customers. Those are the good outages. When you have an outage that impacts a customer then those are the bad days. VMware greatly benefits our IT organization. We are about ninety-five percent virtualized, and it's made it tremendously easy to support…
Senior Systems Administrator for Research at Chapman University
The data reduction technology has been beyond impressive. We also really like their ability to handle diverse workloads, access-patterns, and database technologies with no loss of performance.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case has been our production Oracle campus management database environment. We use Oracle PeopleSoft as our campus management solution and underneath that we have about six terabytes of Oracle Database. Our most demanding use-case for Pure Storage has been hosting these high performance, transactional databases, while also hosting all of our other critical application storage needs (MSSql data-warehouse, BI/Analytics, VMWare).

• "Their REST API is wonderful, well-documented, and easy to use."
  • "As soon as we introduced our first Pure Storage FlashArray, the first benefit was at least twice the performance increase. Our production databases simply ran twice as fast with no other change."
  • "Pure Storage technology allowed us to automate tasks, reducing something which started as a 12-hour turnaround down to about 15 minutes."
  • "The data reduction technology part of the scalability has been impressive, like its ability to host additional workloads, volumes of data, and databases."
  • "The higher education moves slowly. We are still looking forward to implementing the full list of existing features."
  • "In terms of the future, I have been excited by some of the copy data management stuff that they're talking about building into the environment. There are feature sets where I've done a lot of automation work. So, I am always looking forward to extensions of their API. They're also talking about a phone home centralized analytics database being used as a centralized management console with a list of new cloud features, but this doesn't seem finalized."

What other advice do I have?

When researching or selecting potential purchase, start with performance, then try to narrow things down by looking at the additional functionality that a particular solution is going to bring into your environment. There are use cases where raw speed is everything, but almost no one is ultimately in that use case. Most people don't want it to be just fast. They want it to: * Be fast. * Make their DBAs lives easier. * Make their VDI work. * Run their VMs in VMware in a more reliable, faster way, with better HA. Definitely investigate your options. Research a solution's whole set of…
Learn what your peers think about Pure Storage FlashArray. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Network Engineer at US Dept of Energy Idaho Operations Office
Identify the size and volume that you want and the host that you want to deploy it to, then it just shows up and works

What is our primary use case?

In our company, we implemented a Pure Storage FlashArray for our VM virtualized environment. We do have vCenter integrated with Pure Storage. We use that application to deploy virtual volumes on our Pure Storage solution. We are still in the beginning stages, so we only have four virtual systems running on it. However, in the coming months, we will be migrating the bulk of all of our VMs over to vCenter and Pure Storage.

• "It's reduced our overhead management time on storage, since it is so simple to get in and just provision a volume, present it to the host, and then you are done."
  • "We did have one hiccup with the integration of vCenter. When we were installing Pure Storage, we were using vCenter 6.7, which defaults to the HTML5 Web Client. The current plugin for Pure Storage doesn't show up in that client at all. You have to go and use the legacy FlexFlash client to see the Pure Storage plugin in vCenter."

What other advice do I have?

I have made recommendations to friends who work for other companies that are looking for storage right now to just go ahead and buy Pure Storage. From what I have seen, it will beat out any other storage solution. From the performance that I've seen, the simplicity of how to use it, the responsiveness, and customer experience, it is one of the best companies that I have worked with so far. I was actually branded as a SAN environment when we got Pure Storage. For me, it was learning that a SAN environment wasn't necessarily as complex as I thought it was. You have vendors out there, like Pure…
DK
Senior Manager of Technical Alliances at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
It takes drastically less time to manage and administer

What is our primary use case?

As a customer, we use them as our Tier 1 storage arrays. It has been amazing. It's extremely fast, reliable, and resilient.

• "All our junior partners can administer the storage arrays. It is simple and easy to use. We don't have to dedicate a whole team of full time people to work on it."
  • "I would like to see some improvements on the FlashBlade side around the CIFS space support. I am not super familiar with all the different NAS protocols that they run on their box, but there could be some improvements made on SMB CIFS side."

What other advice do I have?

Do a fair evaluation. Be objective, look at the different technologies, and use the technologies. See what they look like and what you will to have to deal with when you're using the products. It's easy to make a decision based on bullet points, but it's hard to make a decision on actual use of the actual technology. We are a Chef shop, so we integrate it into Chef and VMware, vRA, and vRO. We also use all of the plug-ins. The integration is easy, simple, and seamless. For most of the workloads, the solution’s inline deduplication and compression has performed fine. We had a few workloads that…
TS
IT System Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use and manage with a helpful mobile app

What is our primary use case?

We put the solution onto the VMware environment and all the Microsoft SQL servers. We do the synchronization between two data centers, so that is has a very low latency. We just have a few milliseconds of latency which is a ready performance, and near perfect.

• "The mobile app is very helpful."
  • "The solution is not cheap."

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and end-user. With Pure Storage, you have two versions. You have the Pure Storage version 50 and version 10. 50 is a little bit bigger than version 10. With FlashArray M50, it's an X50R2, it's full flash. We have the product currently on-premises, however, we would be more open maybe to Amazon or some other cloud. I would suggest new organizations go with the product, even though it is new. Some companies are scared of new products. It's more mature in the United States. However, it's working well for us here in Europe. Even if it costs a little bit more, you do get more…
DC
Operation Manager at a leisure / travel company with 5,001-10,000 employees
The ease of management has made it so easy that we don't have to have extra storage or systems people

What is our primary use case?

We use the FlashArray X20, M20, M10. We have regulations against cloud, so we're mostly on-Prem. However, we do use Office 365 for email and we have Azure for development on another team but I don't manage that team. Our primary use case of this solution is to house data stores on virtual machines.

• "It helps us maintain uptime much better than other solutions we've used in the past, and the support is extremely quick and responsive."
  • "I would love for them to have a hyper-converged solution."

What other advice do I have?

They're the leader in the industry and everyone's chasing them. They're a cloud-native array that no one's ever done and their storage is excellent. Even if they weren't one of the fastest arrays in the entire industry, I would use them for their support model and ease of use. The advice I would give to someone considering this solution is to look past the sticker shock which is return on investment. I would look at data reduction. I would definitely buy into what people say about their support, which is excellent. I would say that your company, whether you realize it or not, is going to…
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
There are no bugs, it just works and it's stable

What is our primary use case?

We make use of the solution primarily for storage and DR replication. We use the most recent stable version, as the latest one is still in a beta stage and too new to be employed.

• "Technical support has been amazing."
  • "A minor issue that comes to mind is that, every once in a while, a hard drive will go bad."

What other advice do I have?

In my present company we have around 500 users, but my previous one had closer to 10,000. In the current company, there are five or six of us that are responsible for overall maintenance and we handle everything. This is in contrast to the company before last in which there were three of us who handled nothing but our four different storage arrays. To be honest, Pure Storage FlashArray does not leave us with much to do. Once it's set up, it just runs on its own and only requires the occasional checkup. It frees us up to do real work. My advice to others is that this solution is the best…
President and Principal Architect Engineer at Technetics
Reseller
It has a lot of statistics which help out with capacity planning

What is our primary use case?

Anytime that you need fast storage.

• "The back-end data reporting for Pure Storage is phenomenal. The data that you can see on the performance of your customers' array, so you can be proactive about upgrades or enhancements, and is a phenomenal tool to have access to as a partner. I haven't seen this type of stuff out of anything of the other storage systems."
  • "The setup needs to be improved the most. They can do a little more with the user interface, but the setup is what I would like to see made a bit easier."

What other advice do I have?

I have integrated the solution with vCenter. There is nothing remarkable about it. It works. I have no complaints. I think all vendors have a pretty decent platform for inline deduplication and compression. There are always little differences here and there, but I haven't seen anything remarkable with Pure Storage.
See 39 more Pure Storage FlashArray Reviews
Product Categories
All-Flash Storage Arrays
Download our free Pure Storage FlashArray Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.