Pure Storage FlashBlade Overview

Pure Storage FlashBlade is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top File and Object Storage tools. It is most often compared to Pure Storage FlashArray: Pure Storage FlashBlade vs Pure Storage FlashArray

What is Pure Storage FlashBlade?

FlashBlade is the industry’s most advanced scale-out storage for unstructured data, powered by a modern, massively parallel architecture to consolidate complex data silos (like backup appliances and data lakes) and accelerate tomorrow’s discoveries and insights.

Download the File and Object Storage Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Pure Storage FlashBlade Customers

ServiceNow, Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport, Dominos, Man AHL

Pure Storage FlashBlade Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Pure Storage FlashBlade pricing:
  • "Support is a separate line item. Support is a different cost, but whatever your support is now, that's what you're going to pay forever. If your support's $100 today, six years from now it's $100. It doesn't fluctuate unless you upgrade it, or change it, etc."
  • "The price is a little high."
  • "In my opinion, we have paid the right price for the product. I don't think that it is too much or too little."

DB
Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
An easy to use solution with a straightforward setup and good speed

What is our primary use case?

For our customers, they're mainly using it for a backup repository and for NFS data storage.

• "The most valuable features include the ease of implementation, ease of use and the speed that you can do backup and recovery on."
  • "In terms of scalability, it doesn't expand out quite as robustly as some of the others, but it covers 90% of the market in what it does."

What other advice do I have?

We use a hybrid deployment model. Most of the new data backups to the private cloud and then we can push it off to the public cloud for archiving. The cloud provider we're most likely to use is AWS. Our customers also run VMware on Pure. I'd say in general, the solution helps IT departments. It allows consolidation in virtualization. The main drivers around VMware on Pure for our customers are the speed, ease of use, and the Evergreen model for their licensing or support. The joint solution, VMware on Pure, makes it easier for them to consolidate. They have smaller footprints out of their…
JR
Architecte technique at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Stable with good technical support and easy to manage

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a platform of NAS for users that use NFS devices.

• "The initial setup is pretty quick."
  • "Compared to, for example, Hitachi NAS, the solution is not mature at all. It's just in its infancy as far as technology goes."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company. Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. We'd recommend the solution to others. It's worked well for us so far. Of course, it would depend on a company's use case and what they need to achieve.
Find out what your peers are saying about Pure Storage, Red Hat, Qumulo and others in File and Object Storage. Updated: June 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Miroslav Ivanov
IT Business Consultant, Presales Specialist and Solution Designer at Veracomp EOOD
Uses the same platform for connectivity so integration is seamless; solid and very reliable

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases vary but usually we use the solution for cloud-based solutions. We use it for containers, which provide security on premises for our customers to test environments. Most of our customers are medium to large enterprises based in Bulgaria where we are located. We are resellers, distributors and system integrators. We have a partnership with FlashBlade.

• "It uses the same platform for connectivity so integration is seamless."
  • "It's on the expensive side, as expected for a niche product."

What other advice do I have?

There is a 30-day trial period for the product and there is no penalty for the customer if they don't like it. We rarely have issues with it. I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.
Otto Warlich
Technical Consultant Storage at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
An easy-to-use storage solution for consolidating fast file and object storage

What is our primary use case?

The customer decides what he wants to do, and then we create a solution for them.

• "It's very easy-to-use."
  • "The feature that we're waiting on is better integration with the cell services."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. I would recommend this solution to other interested companies because it's extremely fast. That's the biggest reason why we recommend it to our customers.
RA
Program Manager at Máxima Medisch Centrum
More volume with a lower footprint that is priced well and has excellent support

• "The most valuable features are the Metro clustering, and disaster recovery."
  • "It would be nice if you could store file-based in the same box with the same technology."

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a new storage array, Pure Storage is, what I call 'the new kids on the block' who don't need to pull legacy systems with it. It's the right choice because the former storage we had, VNX and XtremeIO boxes, were about 40 height units in one closet. Now we have a four height unit for the entire storage array, that contains six times the volume of our old storage environment. It's a much lower footprint than before. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
JS
IT Network Specialist at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Improves our organization by making the management much easier to access and not as time consuming

What is our primary use case?

It is our storage solution.

• "We have integrated it with VMware. The integration process is pretty good. Especially with VMware, it helps with the capacity of it."
  • "I have not seen ROI."

What other advice do I have?

We have integrated it with VMware. The integration process is pretty good. Especially with VMware, it helps with the capacity of it. I would rate it as a nine (out of ten). Altogether, it is a pretty good system. Everything is well setup: The management, interface, and everything else are all pretty good.
SS
Senior Architect and IT at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
A high-performance, stable solution for our lab

What is our primary use case?

This solution is deployed in our on-premises lab. We are running VMware on Pure for improved performance. We have seen an increase in performance. We are using the VMware integrations developed by Pure to some extent, but I do not have specific details.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is performance."
  • "I would like to see more VM-Aware features in the next release of this solution."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody considering this solution is to go by the business needs, as opposed to just choosing the fastest solution. In our area, we needed the fastest, which is why we bought it. However, there are other deployments within our company where we don't use Pure because we don't need the performance. Other options make sense. Base your decision on the value, and what makes sense. This is a nice product. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
TT
Principal System Analyst at a university with 10,001+ employees
A reliable and high-performing solution for our backup storage

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is backup. We are running VMware on Pure because our old storage was very poor. Running on Pure helps because it improves our performance in general.

• "Using this solution has made our backups more reliable."
  • "I would like to see more monitoring capability included in the next release of this solution."

What other advice do I have?

For anybody considering this solution, my advice is to ask the vendor for a bake-off, or a demo product, so that you can evaluate it. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
See 3 more Pure Storage FlashBlade Reviews