Pure Storage FlashBlade OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Pure Storage FlashBlade is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top File and Object Storage tools. It is most often compared to Pure Storage FlashArray: Pure Storage FlashBlade vs Pure Storage FlashArray

What is Pure Storage FlashBlade?

FlashBlade is the industry’s most advanced scale-out storage for unstructured data, powered by a modern, massively parallel architecture to consolidate complex data silos (like backup appliances and data lakes) and accelerate tomorrow’s discoveries and insights.

Download the File and Object Storage Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Pure Storage FlashBlade Customers

ServiceNow, Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport, Dominos, Man AHL

Pure Storage FlashBlade Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Pure Storage FlashBlade pricing:
  • "The price is a little high."
  • "In my opinion, we have paid the right price for the product. I don't think that it is too much or too little."
  • "The price of this solution could be made more affordable."
  • "Licensing fees are paid yearly."

Pure Storage FlashBlade Reviews

JR
Architecte technique at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Stable with good technical support and easy to manage

• "The initial setup is pretty quick."
  • "Compared to, for example, Hitachi NAS, the solution is not mature at all. It's just in its infancy as far as technology goes."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a platform of NAS for users that use NFS devices.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to manage.

Overall, the product has great performance.

The initial setup is pretty quick.

We've found the pricing to be okay.

Technical support has been great so far.

The stability of the solution is reliable.

What needs improvement?

That means there are some features that just arent yet available on the product. When we ask for customization or certain features, we'll get a response saying "it's not available yet" or "that's in the pipeline". We have a complicated enterprise, therefore we need more features, perhaps, than the average user, and in this sense this product is limited.

We're on a dark site. We don't have internet access. This isn't great for FlashBlade, which needs to be connected to the internet. It's a website, so it needs to be connected in order to provide reports. Therefore, reporting isn't available to us.

We'd love a better dashboard that offers more accurate metrics. We'd like more details about what is happening on the system, so we can notify the clients as necessary.

I've only been using the solution for three months. It hasn't been too long.

The solution is quite stable. We don't have any issues with it crashing to freezing. It's reliable as far as I can tell.

We've only been using the solution for three months. We haven't really tested scalability. It's my understanding that it is scalable however, I don't have any first-hand experience in the matter.

We've contacted technical support in the past. So far, we've been quite satisfied with their level of service. They've been very good to us.

We used to use Hitachi NAS, which is a much more robust product. It's been on the market for a while, so it definitely has a few more features than this solution.

I would describe the process as pretty straightforward. It's not too complex.

It only takes a day to set everything up and deploy it.

The pricing of the solution is reasonable. It's not too expensive. We've found it to be pretty fair and we haven't been surprised by any costs.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

We'd recommend the solution to others. It's worked well for us so far. Of course, it would depend on a company's use case and what they need to achieve.

Miroslav Ivanov
IT Business Consultant, Presales Specialist and Solution Designer at Veracomp EOOD
Uses the same platform for connectivity so integration is seamless; solid and very reliable

• "It uses the same platform for connectivity so integration is seamless."
  • "It's on the expensive side, as expected for a niche product."

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases vary but usually we use the solution for cloud-based solutions. We use it for containers, which provide security on premises for our customers to test environments. Most of our customers are medium to large enterprises based in Bulgaria where we are located. We are resellers, distributors and system integrators. We have a partnership with FlashBlade.

What is most valuable?

I think the most valuable part of the solution would be the seamless integration. The fact that they all use the same platform for connectivity, regardless of the physical position of the place. From the customer's perspective, this is the easiest product that I've tested, it's seamless.

What needs improvement?

It's difficult to find something that could be improved. The new version of the Purity operational system will be released this week and we've been told a lot of improvements have been made so we'll have to wait a few days and see what they're talking about.

I've been using this solution for a year.

This is a stable solution.

It's very easy to scale out and to scale up.

The technical support is good. I've been to the support center in Ireland. I've been doing this kind of work for 10 years and this is the best support line I've ever encountered. Very little maintenance is required although every solution requires troubleshooting if something is not running right. Usually the system reports any issues before they occur and sometimes the customer doesn't even know that he or she has a problem. The support line responds very swiftly, within 30 or 40 minutes. It's all automated.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. It's takes about half an hour to deploy. Everything is usually web based and very thoroughly described. The company I currently work for is a reseller and system integrator so we usually do the integration. If the customer would like to do it, they can do it themselves. They're usually quite surprised at how easy it is to deploy.

This solution is on the more expensive side but it's usual for niche products with a lot of compatibility and features, so the price is right.

What other advice do I have?

There is a 30-day trial period for the product and there is no penalty for the customer if they don't like it. We rarely have issues with it.

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

Find out what your peers are saying about Pure Storage, Red Hat, Qumulo and others in File and Object Storage. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jason Devine
Cloud Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up, extremely scalable, and offers excellent performance

• "The onboarding and integrated monitoring tools are pretty good."
  • "The solution is expensive."

What is our primary use case?

It's just a file IO and we've used it for training AI systems. We also use it for network boot for a number of our diskless machines, and it's proven rock-solid on that front, as well.

What is most valuable?

The number one aspect of FlashBlade is performance.

The ability to move large amounts of data through a training array is pretty much unparalleled.

The scalability has been great.

It's put together in such a way that it's very simple to configure and maintain. Things like data replication are easy to set up and monitor.

The onboarding and integrated monitoring tools are pretty good.

What needs improvement?

In our case, we are mostly performance-focused. We don't require a laundry list of features. It's sort of a double-edged sword, however. On one hand, the lack of all these features makes it a lot easier to configure and manage. Yet, if you need those features, it might be a negative. For us, it's elegant.

The solution is expensive.

The solution is stable and offers very good performance overall. From a performance perspective, it's pretty impressive. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches.

The scalability of this product has been amazing.  We have scaled out some of our FlashBlade environments to get numbers we couldn't come close to with other solutions.

The technical support has been good. We are satisfied with the level of support we have received.

I've used a lot of technologies over the years from NetApp to Dell and others. This product is more or less in a class by itself when it comes to its performance and its scalability.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's simple to configure and maintain. A company shouldn't have any issues with it in general.

We also have FlashArray and we have specialists that support each. The look and feel between the two platforms are similar. You can bounce between them fairly readily. I have the same administrator supporting the FlashBlades as I have to support the FlashArrays.

It's a premium technology. The solution does not come cheap. It's pretty expensive.

What other advice do I have?

For FlashBlade I'd probably rate it a ten out of ten as so far it has been amazing.

Otto Warlich
Technical Consultant Storage at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
An easy-to-use storage solution for consolidating fast file and object storage

• "It's very easy-to-use."
  • "The feature that we're waiting on is better integration with the cell services."

What is our primary use case?

The customer decides what he wants to do, and then we create a solution for them.

What is most valuable?

It's very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

At the moment, I can't think of anything that needs to be improved; however, the feature that we're waiting on is better integration with the cell services. I know Pure has a company that's working on the cell system, but it's still not completely there yet.

I have been using Pure Storage FlashBlade for three years.

Stability-wise, it's fine; however, we have one system at a customer's site that has had a lot of problems over the last year — I think maintenance was required over seven times before everything was corrected. Now the system works fine, it's not a problem.

It's as scalable as we need it to be.

Their technical support is not an issue at all — they're great.

I have a little bit of experience with NetApp, but we don't sell the latest NetApp systems. In the past, we worked with NetApp — it's a good filing system.

For me, the initial setup is very straightforward. If there is something you have to change in the beginning, then you can just directly call support; however, as a partner, it's sometimes a little difficult to do. If we're doing some active cluster setups, then we always have to call support to integrate the active cluster — to enable the active cluster. That's something I think we could do by ourselves — that's something that could be changed.

The price is a little high, but I'm not the guy who is selling it to the customer — I only design the solution. Price-wise, somebody else's has to make a decision about it.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

I would recommend this solution to other interested companies because it's extremely fast. That's the biggest reason why we recommend it to our customers.

RA
Program Manager at Máxima Medisch Centrum
More volume with a lower footprint that is priced well and has excellent support

• "The most valuable features are the Metro clustering, and disaster recovery."
  • "It would be nice if you could store file-based in the same box with the same technology."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the Metro clustering, and disaster recovery.

What needs improvement?

Now you can only put block storage on the storage array.

It would be nice if you had the same features in the file-based solution on the same box. This would mean you can have all of the storage types in your enterprise on the same box.

I have been working with Pure Storage Flashblade for four months.

It's a stable solution. We currently have all the large databases running on that platform. So everyone in our organization is using this solution. We have approximately 3,000 employees.

It's a scalable product.

Technical support is excellent.

Previously, we worked with EMC XtremIO.

We decided to switch because it is less complex and very simple to implement in relation to XtremIO from EMC. You don't need any appliance to make it a Metro Cluster.

In the past, we had a Vplex from Dell EMC. This is an appliance you put above the XtremIO storage, which is not needed in Pure Storage. It is in the same box you have.

The initial setup is very easy.

We require a team of two to maintain the solution.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a new storage array, Pure Storage is, what I call 'the new kids on the block' who don't need to pull legacy systems with it.

It's the right choice because the former storage we had, VNX and XtremeIO boxes, were about 40 height units in one closet. Now we have a four height unit for the entire storage array, that contains six times the volume of our old storage environment.

It's a much lower footprint than before.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Enrico Boseli
CTO at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Fantastic technical support, good product replication, and highly reliable

What is our primary use case?

This solution is mainly used in a very performance-sensitive environment for enterprise software storage.

What is most valuable?

The main feature I have found to be product replication.

What needs improvement?

There could be improvements in public cloud integration. In the future, one innovation could be for them to make an embedded backup system.

I have been using the solution for a couple of years.

The stability of the solution is really impressive.

The scalability is possible, however, if they could make the process faster to the cloud it would be better.

How are customer service and

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The main feature I have found to be product replication.

What needs improvement?

There could be improvements in public cloud integration.

I have been using the solution for a couple of years.

The stability of the solution is really impressive.

The technical support is fantastic.

The installation was extremely easy.

The fact that the solution is extremely stable and it works really great each dollar spent on this solution is worth it.

The price of this solution could be made more affordable.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement this solution is it can be very effective only in proper use cases, not in every use case.

I rate Pure Storage FlashBlade an eight out of ten.

LR
Fresh Operations Manager at Jerónimo Martins
Good performance with low latency, scalable, stable, and has good support

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to interface the backup of the image and file management.

What is most valuable?

It performs well and it is also very fast. There is low latency.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the licensing fees improved as well as the price per terabyte.

I have been working with Pure Storage Flash for approximately three years.

This is a stable solution. I have not had any issues with the stability of Pure Storage FlashBlade.

Pure Storage FlashBlade is very scalable. Currently, we have two customers who are using this solution.

How are customer service and technical

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to interface the backup of the image and file management.

What is most valuable?

It performs well and it is also very fast.

There is low latency.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Pure Storage Flash for approximately three years.

Pure Storage FlashBlade is very scalable.

Currently, we have two customers who are using this solution.

Technical support is okay. There is no improvement needed.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It took approximately 20 minutes to deploy.

We are integrators. We were able to implement this solution ourselves.

It's expensive. The price should be reduced.

Licensing fees are paid yearly.

What other advice do I have?

For those who are interested in using this solution, I would recommend it.

I would rate Pure Storage FlashBlade a ten out of ten.