Petrus Van Biljon
Co-Owner at Alvarium
Easy to set up with excellent technical support and easy collaboration capabilities

• "The data is incredibly easy to share with colleagues."
  • "There is no downside."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for data visualizations and interpretation. We are having success with identifying opportunities through seeing our weaknesses. In my time coaching the sales team, I had to find a way for everyone to have access the as much information as possible. Qlik made this very easy for us. Giving the sales team access to data empowered them and also provided them with confidence and the resolve to take all the opportunities that were available in the market. I am amazed at how well this worked.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The data is incredibly easy to share with colleagues. This enables us to sit together to identify opportunities. Having the sales team sitting around a table accessing the same data made it very easy for them to work together. In an industry where co-operating is a dirty word, my team relished the opportunity to build a strong team to take on the rest of the industry. They excelled at following up and reminding customers that the opportunity was theirs and not ours. Being able to have your say at the right time really helped pave the way for the team to win.

What needs improvement?

The product is easy to use and provides us with more than what we need. The data is incredibly easy to share with colleagues. There is no downside.

I've used the solution for five years.

This product runs well in most countries - even with limited connectivity.

The product is limitless. You can scale it.

The support for this product is exceptional.

We did use something else, however, the product was not relevant anymore.

The initial setup is very easy.

We did get outside assistance and the vendor was excellent.

We have about a 100% return on investment.

It is expensive, but a worthwhile step.

We looked at Alchemex and Excel.

Private Cloud

Other
Michel Lalancette
Business Intelligence Developer at Bonduelle
Set analysis is great for its power user capabilities but the QMC needs more work

• "Set analysis is great for its power user capabilities such as performing an IF on an aggregated column. The ability to create custom coloring expressions based on values is also a good idea although not as easy as I wished it was."
  • "The QMC needs more work. Some of the features should be available directly from the hub. Too many duplicates/publish. Intelli-sense when loading a stored qvd would help so much with remembering column names. The pop-up windows are too small when working in the QMC."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of Qlik Sense is as a dashboard. It replaces some Excel grids we used to provide to people. We are currently serving only a few business units but are working on expanding to all other BU over time. We normally use this tool by loading data from our data warehouse into a QDF (Qlik deployment framework). This allows for better reusability at the cost of duplicate apps. We have also recently begun using Qlik Sense to load data from other sources, such as excel to help other business units that previously had no BI at all.

How has it helped my organization?

Qlik Sense did not improve our organization. Its use was forced by our parent company. We already have Cognos installed with dashboarding capabilities. The tool is good but we already have a clean data warehouse which means a lot of redundant work to load qvd files. It feels like Qlik was invented with a quick create report/throwaway when done mindset. We are not a company built around this so it makes reusing code very difficult. I must say the setup is easy and the user token is very flexible.

What is most valuable?

Set analysis is great for its power user capabilities such as performing an IF on an aggregated column. The ability to create custom coloring expressions based on values is also a good idea although not as easy as I wished it was. Its new trellis feature is great for not having to redo a lot of small charts multiple times and scales well over time. The ability to create presentations in the tool itself is good for users. This prevents having to copy/paste lots of images in an external document.

What needs improvement?

The QMC needs more work. Some of the features should be available directly from the hub. Too many duplicates/publish. Intelli-sense when loading a stored qvd would help so much with remembering column names. The pop-up windows are too small when working in the QMC. There is no reason why all the front-end is responsive but the publish windows are too small for most app titles to show up completely. I wish you could work directly in a published app instead of having to duplicate it to your content then publish it again when done. I also wish you could create folders in your own content to make sorting your apps easier.

I've been using Qlik Sense for around 6 months.

We still use IBM Cognos but only for it's Excel grid features.

I was not part of the evaluation team.

I was not part of the evaluation team.

What other advice do I have?

Good software but not for us at the moment.

Learn what your peers think about Qlik Sense. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,529 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Tomás Peña
Director de administración at Agrosana Servicios Agrícolas SL
The large number of graphs, tables, and other objects available for data analysis enables users to understand and discover new relationships between the data they are analyzing

• "Obviously and considering that Qlik Sense is a data visualization application, the most attractive feature is the fast handling of large amounts of data and the attractive visualization of the same."

What is our primary use case?

Our organization uses Qlik Sense above all for financial reporting to management, as well as for reporting sales, collections, stock to the commercial department, and payment-purchase reporting for the administration department.

We use ERP SAP Bussiness One for the management of the company, which is why we needed a solution for information extraction due to the limited nature of this application in the reporting area.

The version we currently use is Qlik Sense desktop, April 2020 version, and its implementation began at the end of 2018.

How has it helped my organization?

The most valuable thing for us is the speed in obtaining data and statistics of our business because due to the complexity of our corporate structure, many times we lost too much time in collecting the data. Currently, that time that we previously dedicated to compiling and refining the figures is dedicated to analysis for data-based decision-making. On the other hand, the analysis has improved the information that the organization manages at all levels, not only at the management levels but also at the operational level.

What is most valuable?

Obviously and considering that Qlik Sense is a data visualization application, the most attractive feature is the fast handling of large amounts of data and the attractive visualization of the same. The large number of graphs, tables, and other objects that Qlik makes available for data analysis enables the advanced user to understand and discover new relationships between the data they are analyzing. Also noteworthy is the fast pace of updating the program, which I hope will continue in the future.

What needs improvement?

Qlik Sense advertises itself as a more focused solution so that the end-user can carry out their own reporting, in contrast to its other Qlik View application, which would be for a use more directed at IT professionals who launch static reports that are then used by the entire organization. From my point of view, the possibility for end-users to make their own reports in Qlik Sense is limited to very advanced users who have deep knowledge of the application. I think that in this sense the application could be improved much more so that a less advanced user could get more out of it

I have been using Qlik Sense for one year.

Fantastic.

Good.

Yes, which is why a good partner is required.

Vendor team. Not a good experience.

We will see it in the future, it is still too soon.

Private Cloud

Other
    Jim Vaughan
    Senior Software Engineer at Ingram Content Group
    Quickly and efficiently develop new dashboards that display relevant data

• "We can easily and quickly deploy new dashboards that reach a wide audience and any changes get reflected almost instantaneously for the users."
    • "If a team wants to keep track of source code changes, there is not an out-of-the-box solution for it."

What is our primary use case?

My company is a distributor.

We use Qlik to surface information regarding sales, inventory, ordering volumes, customer data, and other key pieces of information to decision-makers in our company. We primarily use Qlik internally.

To date, we have created more than 1300 dashboards for various business teams within the organization. We have five developers who help create and maintain the dashboards. Some of our advanced users have also contributed sheets to our user community to augment the existing dashboards.

How has it helped my organization?

Qlik has brought tremendous value to our organization in a few key ways.

One thing Qlik has done is to give us a consistent platform on which we can build analytical solutions. Another thing Qlik has enabled us to do is to move rapidly. Most dashboards are now completed in a few days to a few weeks versus a few months with our previous solutions.

Also, Qlik has enabled our organization to deliver data that was previously unavailable to our internal users. We can now surface that information and do so in a consistent and meaningful manner.

What is most valuable?

The fact that we can develop and deliver solutions through the browser really cuts down on the operations overhead of producing dashboards that our company finds relevant.

Qlik provides an abundance of tools to use for data visualization. We spend more time focusing on how the data is best displayed rather than developing controls to display the information.

What needs improvement?

As a developer, the biggest area for improvement is in the realm of source control. If a team wants to keep track of source code changes, there is not an out-of-the-box solution for it. Doing manual version control is error-prone and does not lend itself to simple rollbacks in many cases.

One other area for improvement would be discoverability. There are a lot of advanced capabilities in Qlik that are not easily discovered. Even some of the more 'mundane' features are sometimes hard to find or require a fair amount of explanation before users can take full advantage of them.

My company has been using Qlik for about four years.

While we have been on Qlik there have not been any outages. I would say the up time for Qlik is impeccable. We do occasionally have to take the system down for upgrades and maintenance but those are easily scheduled to occur during off-peak hours and are typically done well before users expect the system to be available.

Qlik scales relatively well.

Dave Elliott
    Global Solutions and Data Innovation Manager at MAYBORN GROUP LIMITED
    The efficiency gains of this have offset the adoption costs by a considerable amount

• "The flexibility of Qlik Sense and the addition of 3rd party extensions allow us to extend the use of Qlik Sense beyond analytics and bring the platform to the core of our digital workplace, augmenting analytics with workflow, and team collaboration."
    • "There is a direction currently with feature releases within QLik Sense which are focused towards the SaaS or Cloud offerings of Qlik Sense. This leaves those who have invested heavily in on-premise enterprise deployments in a difficult position to gain the benefits of some powerful new features they have to look to reinvest further towards these SaaS or Cloud deployments or bring in a hybrid model. Qlik provides no real split between what features are available in each of the deployment options."

What is our primary use case?

We use Qlik Sense to deliver enterprise-wide analytics covering various business units, including Commercial Finance, demand planning, aftermarket performance, ICT, eCommerce, procurement, master data management, sales forecasting, and market share analysis.

The flexibility of Qlik Sense and the addition of 3rd party extensions allow us to extend the use of Qlik Sense beyond analytics and bring the platform to the core of our digital workplace, augmenting analytics with workflow, and team collaboration.

How has it helped my organization?

The adoption of Qlik Sense has provided the business with a solid platform to build upon, moving from a silo approach to reporting through a multitude of large, static, cumbersome spreadsheets to an accessible, intuitive, powerful analytics platform capable to dealing with large volumes of data. For the first time, providing the business with a single version of the truth, the ability to see everything in one place. In itself, the efficiency gains of this have offset the adoption costs by a considerable amount.

What is most valuable?

The intuitive associative engine and powerful visualization capability within Qlik sense has provided a powerful platform that allows us to develop user engaging, intuitive, and agile data analytics tools that drive informed, timely, and impact business decision making.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Qlik solutions for over eight years, Qlik Sense for around six. I spent five years as a BI consultant with a UK based Qlik Elite partner and the last two years as a Qlik customer.

The scalability options for Qlik Sense are impressive, providing confidence in a truly scalable enterprise solution.

We adopted Qlik as a replacement to spreadsheet-based reporting and analytics.

We performed the deployment ourselves, easy and quick.

Power BI was evaluated initially.

reviewer1412682
    Data Management Specialist at Marsh Limited
    Modern and intuitive user interface that makes designing dashboards quick to do

• "Qlik Sense has a modern look and feel and a very intuitive UI, so non-technical users find it very user friendly."
    • "The on-demand report generation button in Qlik Sense currently doesn't work if NPrinting requires Okta verification, which our company uses."

What is our primary use case?

I work in the Data Solutions team at Marsh (Insurance company). We build Qlik Sense dashboards for Client Executives in the Specialties team, tailored to their requirements.

The Client Executives can view their client's portfolio over several years and also see how Marsh is performing in the space. These visualizations help them with client and insurer meetings.

Currently, it is being used for new client wins, client retention, negotiating with insurers, providing time efficiencies, and providing consistency in presentations.

How has it helped my organization?

Qlik Sense has a modern look and feel and a very intuitive UI, so non-technical users find it very user friendly.

Our team has been able to deliver some very complex analytics that was possible only due to the powerful back-end functionalities and availability of extensions.

The NPrinting functionality has also been very helpful for us, as it can deliver canned reports. It has saved a lot of hours for our business users.

Dashboards we built on Qlik Sense have helped with new client wins, client retention, negotiating with insurers, providing time efficiencies, and providing consistency in presentations.

What is most valuable?

The time required to build a dashboard is very good, as it only takes a couple of hours to build a basic dashboard. We use this basic dashboard in our Client Executive meetings where we then start the ideation process and consolidate requirements for the final dashboard. We are able to show the Client Executives the art of possible, which helps them understand what can be done.

It has helped us immensely with Data and Digital Literacy. Business users now understand the importance of data and data of good quality!

What needs improvement?

Several things can be improved, including:

1. Ability to add and customize reference lines (average, linear regression, etc.) on all charts.
    2. There are features of QlikView that have still not come to Qlik Sense. These include "Always one value selected", option buttons, and checkboxes with extended functionalities in the Qlik bundle. I am currently using an external plug-in for this, but its performance is poor.
    3. Legends for charts that are being colored using a formula.
    4. Ease to add company color palette to Qlik Sense dashboard.
    5. The on-demand report generation button in Qlik Sense currently doesn't work if NPrinting requires Okta verification, which our company uses. So, we are not able to deliver this to our business users. This is a very powerful functionality and we want to use it!

I have been using Qlik Sense for more than two years. Prior to that, I have also used QlikView for one year.

Anh Thi Pham
    Data Analyst Manager at Ho Chi Minh Securities Corporation
    Supports a strong script language which can support complex data transform and processing tasks

• "Qlik dashboards are not friendly with end-users, but they have been enhancing this shorted in some recent releases and next releases hopefully."

What is our primary use case?

Dashboards and reporting: we host a dashboard and reporting system for the whole company with a full set of rules of governances. Mashup pages or embedded iframe are good choices to manipulate Qlik Sense dashboards to any formats.

Ad hoc data analytics: with strong data load engine and in-memory processing, we could use Qlik Sense to do most of the statistical tasks or data minings task, or even export processed data to do further advanced analytics by another platform.

Self-service BI: in-memory processing make self-service data analytics become a joyful activity.

How has it helped my organization?

Data collection, cleaning, transforming, and visualization become convenient, easy, and quick. Consequently, business users can make use of data by the fastest way and transform into better data-centric mindsets.

Installing and deploying Qlik Sense is quite simple. With Qlik Sense Enterprise (multi-cloud) or Qlik Sense Business (SaaS on cloud), we even don’t need an IT guy to set up anything, deploying a dashboard and reporting system becomes simple and done in a few minutes with some simple steps.

What is most valuable?

Data load engine of Qlik Sense is the most valuable, it supports a strong script language which could support complex data transform and processing tasks, it could be used to replace an ETL framework, we can use Qlik Data Load Engine to get data from many kinds of data sources , then process, clean, transform and store to datamart by QVD file (an optimized file type of Qlik), finally visualize data effectively with in-memory technology which make the self-service analytics become a interesting activities.

What needs improvement?

The cost of the Qlik ecosystem is higher than other competitors.

The license mechanism of Qlik is quite complicated and not exchangeable. Such as 2016, they charge licenses by token, 1500$ for a token / 1 user. 2018: they change to 2 kinds of licenses: professional 1500$ / user, analyzer 800$ / user. 2019: they support subscription with 70$ Monthly for professional, 40$ monthly for analyzers, but for those you’re using perpetual licenses, they don't support acquiring more subscription licenses. The maintenance fee yearly are also high, 20% of the perpetual license.

Qlik dashboards are not friendly with end-users, but they have been enhancing this shorted in some recent releases and next releases hopefully.

More than thee years.

Good. But sometimes recently, very slow response .

Setup is simple and straightforward.

In-house.

Higher cost comparing to other solutions

Steve C
      Senior BI Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      Comprehensive ETL capabilities, good visualization options, and frequently updated

• "Time-saving efficiencies have translated into genuine bottom-line improvements via the reduction in FTE."
      • "The SaaS offering is being enriched quickly in order to attract new customers to that space and encouraging existing customers to make the switch. The Enterprise solution is therefore lagging behind SaaS in features."

What is our primary use case?

Qlik Sense is used as a Business Intelligence and analysis tool as part of a dual BI tool strategy. The software is hosted on two multi-node environments; production and ad-hoc.

The production environment hosts the main reporting suite of apps, while the ad-hoc environment is used for one-off or ad-hoc analysis as well as pre-development. A third environment is used for testing releases or developing extensions and features.

NPrinting is also used to supplement the capability of Qlik Sense in cases where the users aren't able to access the environment. This happens, for example, with external or third-party reporting, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

Qlik Sense has enabled the simplification of reporting and increased the efficiency of its production. Time-saving efficiencies have translated into genuine bottom-line improvements via the reduction in FTE.

Its implementation has improved the ways of working in the BI teams and stakeholder engagement improvements have been noted. Moderate cost-saving efficiencies from decommissioning legacy software and recycling hardware have been recognised, as well as delivering a far better customer experience for users.

What is most valuable?

Qlik's comprehensive ETL capability makes it stand out from other vendors. The ability to connect to a wide variety of data sources and its ability to transform the data quickly and efficiently is extremely powerful; especially when speed to market is the priority for app development.

The front end has more than enough capability and visualisation options available and rarely is there any limitation that cannot be surmounted quickly and efficiently.

A steady stream of updates ensures that the product keeps moving forward and the output looks great on mobile devices.

What needs improvement?

The SaaS offering is being enriched quickly in order to attract new customers to that space and encouraging existing customers to make the switch. The Enterprise solution is therefore lagging behind SaaS in features. As such, the user needs to invest additional expenditure to ensure that all the services are available for the Enterprise solution.

A lot of the features available in QlikView have now been introduced to Qlik Sense so it would be good to see that effort continue to go into developing front-end capability further still.

We have been using Qlik Sense for seven years.

Support was extremely good in the early days of QlikView, possibly less so since Qlik has been sold.

We implemented it through the vendor. Excellent service and "aftercare".