Qlik Sense Overview

Qlik Sense is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Embedded BI Tools. It is most often compared to Tableau: Qlik Sense vs Tableau

What is Qlik Sense?

Qlik Sense is a business intelligence (BI) and visual analytics platform that supports a range of analytic use cases. Built on Qlik’s unique Associative Engine, it supports a full range of users and use-cases across the life-cycle from data to insight – with self-service analytics, interactive dashboards, conversational analytics, custom and embedded analytics, mobile analytics, and reporting. The solution comes in three different editions - Qlik Sense Enterprise, Business, and Team. Qlik Sense can be deployed in the cloud or on-premises.

Qlik Sense sets the benchmark for third-generation analytics platforms, empowering everyone in organizations to make data-driven decisions. People of all skill levels get unmatched analytical power, with unique associative exploration and search, AI-powered insight suggestions, AI-accelerated creation and data prep, advanced analytics integration, and natural-language, conversational interaction. They can easily share and communicate the insights they discover and get answers anywhere they work – with fully interactive and secure online and offline mobility. And for the enterprise, you get a true platform with open and standard APIs for customization and extension, powerful data integration and connectivity, centralized management and governance, and a Kubernetes based SaaS / multi-cloud architecture driving scalability across combinations of on-premise, private, and public cloud environments.

The Qlik Sense system offers data visualization and discovery for individuals and teams. The software's data discovery tool helps businesses of all sizes explore simple and complex data and find all possible associations in their datasets. With the drag and drop interface, users can create interactive data visualizations to present the outcome in a story form.

Qlik Sense offers a centralized hub from where every user can share and find relevant data analyses. The solution is capable of unifying data from multiple databases including Cloudera Impala, IBM DB2, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, Sybase and Teradata. The Open API also allows developers to embed Qlik Sense into new applications and automate data capturing.

Qlik Sense is also known as QlikSense.

Qlik Sense Buyer's Guide

Download the Qlik Sense Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Qlik Sense Customers

Abbvie, Airbus, Barclays, BT Openreach, BMW, Daimler AG, HSBC, IKEA, Nationwide Building Society, Royal Mail Group, Sanofi, Siemens, Wendy'', Vodafone, Volvo

Qlik Sense Video

Qlik Sense Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Prasad Mundewadi
Senior BI Systems Analyst at PTC
Jan 6, 2019
Has made our business users empowered to build their own reports with minimal IT intervention.

What is our primary use case?

* Used by our business users for day to day reports * Users build their own apps * Users also consume apps built by the IT team.
reviewer931206
User at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Oct 15, 2018

What is our primary use case?

We needed a secure, dynamic place for our branch staff to view details about their respective branches. Be it how they manage cash to how well they are performing with respect to their goals, Qlik Sense is an excellent tool for meeting all our various needs.

How has it helped my organization?

Qlik Sense is becoming the go-to place to view data. We are relying less on Excel, PowerPoint, etc.

What is most valuable?

Though, I haven't used them a lot. I love the variables feature. Placing buttons on my sheets creates a unique user experience and clears up clutter at the same time.

What needs improvement?

I am not really a fan of the set analysis. It's its own language that doesn't quite make a whole lot of sense to me at this point. I wish it were…
Learn what your peers think about Qlik Sense. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
466,017 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user872292
Manager at a financial services firm
Jun 6, 2018
Provides data to decision-makers in a safe visual environment

What is our primary use case?

Two environments: one for ad hoc and discovery usage and the other for production (consumption). We use the product for ad hoc discovery work and exposing curating data sets/models to our business.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization by providing data to decision-makers in a safe visual environment.

What is most valuable?

The exposure of the OpenAPIs gives greater flexibility in how we implement across both environments.

What needs improvement?

The management console appearance needs improvement to its look. The navigation is quite clunky and outdated.

Less than one year.
Christopher Eliasen
Manager - Business Intelligence Solutions at Renewal by Andersen
May 23, 2018
The ETL component allows us to pull from many different sources

What is our primary use case?

We run Qlik Sense and NPrinting on four Azure VMs as an independent BI platform to get at trapped data.

• "The ETL component allows us to pull from many different sources, making pulling data in easy."
    it_user868080
    Senior Software Engineer at L&T Infotech
    May 22, 2018
    Its set analysis calculates complex queries into simple terms

What is our primary use case?

Qlik Sense is a very nice, intelligent product. I connect with transaction data, and it has an excellent user interface.

How has it helped my organization?

Qlik Sense helps us increase our organization's customer relationships and brings in more projects.

What is most valuable?

Set analysis is a powerful scripting functionality which calculates complex queries into simple terms. Also, the ease of building it.

What needs improvement?

Qlik Sense should have a conversion tool which automatically converts QlikView to Qlik Sense, so customers can easily migrate between the products of Qlik.

Three to five years.
    it_user867504
    Assistant Manager at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    May 22, 2018
    Gives all inventory details in real-time, but the bookmarking needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

Our sales reps are using it in the field to get updated information on inventory details when reaching out to our warehouse to fulfill stock.

How has it helped my organization?

Qlik Sense has helped us in getting all inventory details in real-time ready for our sales reps to order and fulfill our inventory based on demand. The dashboards have been really helpful in getting our data insights.

What is most valuable?

Custom scripting in Qlik is great, which is useful when customizing the tool in different ways to suit our needs.

What needs improvement?

Bookmarking Data load screen More real-time analysis, like Power BI Easier ways to push data into product for viewing second-by-second data.

Three to five…
    David Tate, PMP
    Project Manager at PSCU Financial Services
    May 13, 2018
    End users can adjust their analysis with a few simple clicks

What is our primary use case?

Business analytics: We have an on-premise server architecture, using Qlik Sense and NPrinting, delivering on-demand analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

Faster time to delivery utilizing useful charts and graphs, which allows for on-demand generation of analytical data in tables, graphs, and charts.

What is most valuable?

Ease of development: Delivery of useful analytics in a shorter period of time.  End users can adjust their analysis with a few simple clicks.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more types of visual elements and better configuration options for additional flexibility when developing charts.

it_user724317
    Manager, BI Strategy and Architecture at PayPal
    May 2, 2018
    Has proven to be flexible, powerful, and friendly to both developers and end users

What is our primary use case?

Provide DIY solutions to business users who are knowledgeable (or just like to tinker with their own reporting designs), based on standardized, aggregated data sets to support consistent analytics across the enterprise.

What other advice do I have?

Keep building and always turn to your colleagues in the Qlik community when you need assistance. Qlik: Keep up the good work, but I mean what I say about your data engine. It could stand some enhancement. I would never recommend anyone away from your product because of it, but adding power would only increase your products' abilities and ultimate success.
    it_user864747
    Strategy & Solutions Manager at Odyssey Logistics & Technology Corporation
    Apr 30, 2018
    Creates quick, accurate consolidated dashboards in all operational BUs and client-facing teams

What is our primary use case?

My organization implemented Qlik Sense as a SEED platform to replace our current BI tools and reporting platforms.

• "The flexibility of a non-IT developed solution allows for fast to market solutions."
    • "We have had an easy time supplying content to our customers."
    • "It needs continued improvement on its visualizations and content customization."
    • "I would like to more easily themed environments."
    Tiffany Andrisani
    Data Analyst at Qosina
    Apr 29, 2018
    A clear and easy way to understand graphics

What is our primary use case?

Implemented Qlik Sense in an enterprise environment of approximately 60 users. We migrated from QlikView where the tool was primarily used by high level management.

• "It connects very simply​ to data sources."
    • "Qlik Sense has given us visibility into our data to make informed decisions."
    • "I wish the product had the ability for slightly more customization. The out-of-the box charts and visualizations are fantastic, but I want to be able to tweak it without having to add outside extensions and widgets."
    it_user853770
    IT Application Development Manager at BorgWarner Inc.
    Apr 25, 2018
    The time it takes to deliver a dashboard is real quick

What is our primary use case?

Visualising manufacturing related data for different departments. We have created dashboards for accounts receivable, department-wise spend, inventory, sales, and production.

How has it helped my organization?

Qlik has made life easier by visualising data. Most of the data was not being used. It was just sitting in the database. With Qlik, we are able to make use of it.

What is most valuable?

User-friendly The time it takes to deliver a dashboard is real "Quik". Can pull the data from different sources. Scalable

What needs improvement?

Data modelling automation needs improvement.  There are some tools like Alteryx, which are used for data preparation. These features can be built into Qlik to make the process smoother.

For how long have I used

it_user672036
    Financial Analyst at Rockford Orthopedic Associates, LTD.
    Apr 25, 2018
    GeoAnalytics gives us opportunities to see how we are trending and explore new opportunities

What is our primary use case?

* Automates monthly reporting. * Improves time to market. * Explore new opportunities through GeoAnalytics. * Provides better patient care at all times.

• "It has allowed us to manage our staff more effectively and frees up time for our analysts to analyze new problems and opportunities."
    • "The GeoAnalytics paints such a clear picture. It provides a visual of our patient volume, giving us opportunities to see how we are trending in the surrounding cities, and making us more aware of locations that we need to focus more on."
    • "Better searching capabilities would be a nice addition."
    • "There are occasional stability problems, but Qlik support is excellent at correcting anything that arises."
    it_user667338
    Director Business Intelligence at Bridgehampton National Bank (BNB)
    Apr 24, 2018
    Data-driven decisions are now easier

What is our primary use case?

Qlik Sense visualizations are amazing. Training users on how to use Qlik Sense is a breeze as compared to some other BI tools, which require much more hand-holding.

• "Business users have been able to use the BI self-serve model."
    • "Data-driven decisions are now easier."
    • "Integrated maps should become part of the Qlik Sense, as opposed to buying an additional module just to power the BI, which has it built-in natively within the application."
    it_user855171
    Business Intelligence Analyst at Teachers Credit Union
    Apr 18, 2018
    On the fly questions can be answered with the "Qlik" of a button

What is our primary use case?

* Developing dashboards for departments to track progress. * Automating recurring processes to save time and money. * Offering intricate data analysis to drive business decisions.

• "On the fly questions can be answered with the "Qlik" of a button and drive forward discussions about policy, mission, and goals."
    • "It automates recurring processes to save time and money."
    • "Ultra-customization: It needs no limits on which charts can have x amount of dimensions, y amount of measures, z amount of color expressions, etc."
    it_user852765
    Business Intelligence Director at Tanimura & Antle Fresh Foods
    Apr 18, 2018
    Accesses data from multiple sources in one application

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is creating dashboards for various departments throughout the company. We use data from VMware servers, SQL Server data, JD Edwards ERP data, text files from vendors, web-based data from IoT devices, and more.

• "It is very easy to use, and the Qlik data engine has been able to handle everything we have thrown at it."
    • "The ability to access data from multiple sources in one application. This has been invaluable."
    • "I would like to see more native features from QlikView integrated into Qlik Sense."
    Ayodele-Makun
    Pre-Sales Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Mar 4, 2018
    Drag and drop feature, and extension capabilities derived from the Qlik API are key

• "Takes the super features of QlikView ETL capabilities to a whole new level with its new drag and drop feature, and extension capabilities derived from the robust Qlik API."
    • "For a deployment scenario, Qlik Sense is also very easy to use. I can start development from any platform, on-premise or cloud, and continue from where I left off."

What other advice do I have?

Invest in memory and RAM for the PC or server you intend to use Qlik Sense on. Ensure you have all the necessary resources and connectors installed for proprietary databases as well, if you are keen on some form of integration to web/projects.
      it_user580359
      IT specialist at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
      Mar 4, 2018
      Flexible data loading, in-memory processing, and Set Analysis are key for us

• "The product has many great features like easy and fast implementation, flexible data loading, and in-memory processing, but the Set Analysis is what I think is the most valuable. It makes the product very powerful."
      • "Branding is not the product's strongest point. More control over the presentation colors would be great. A basic printing function would also be good. Easy connection to external tools like R Server would be nice."

What other advice do I have?

I lean toward self-service BI tools. Look at the tools with the data you have, where you can store it, and how easily you can get local support and community support.
      James-Anderson
      Business Development/Medical Economics at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
      Dec 14, 2017

What is our primary use case?

Within the University of Miami healthcare system (UHealth), we wanted to see a high level view of our contracting performance. We currently are utilizing multiple systems of truth. We utilize the Advisory Board's PIC (Payment Integrity Compass) system to model all of our hospital contracts. For professional services, we use Experian's modeling tool. We wanted to consolidate all these different inputs of expected payment values into one view or report. There was a need to compare expected contractual values with actual over time. It helps our team get better at predicting the future if we… more »

• "We began to see how our processes and other team's processes were negatively affecting the bottom line. We were able to provide tips to other teams to help improve their processes."
      • "We were able to identify easy things, such as when a contract was loaded incorrectly."

What other advice do I have?

It is a great tool for those companies or institutions that really want to empower their users to do great things.
        it_user659991
        Supervisor of Business Intelligence at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
        Nov 1, 2017
        Build quick wins with simple data driving insights

• "The overall ability to build quick wins with simple data to drive insights."
        • "Dates. My goodness, working with dates in set analysis can be a nightmare! Much room for improvement."

What other advice do I have?

It is worth the frustration, but do not underestimate the difficulty of working with dates in set analysis.
        it_user491040
        Application Support at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Oct 19, 2017
        It is user-friendly and easy to read

• "Qlik Sense is much more user-friendly and easier to read then QlikView."
        • "Possibly offering some more basic, simpler templates."
        it_user632943
        Senior Analyst at a construction company with 5,001-10,000 employees
        Oct 18, 2017
        It has an easy to use interface, a powerful extraction process, and a rich API and web integration capabilities, which are some of its most valuable features

• "Leveraging and reusability of already existing QlikView assets and knowledge."
        • "Multi-server deployment: not just cloud, but on premise too, and hybrid. Needs lighter protocols to communicate between the different services and with the clients."

What other advice do I have?

I have to disclaim that I worked for Qlik in the past, although today I'm a Qlik customer and also a user of other BI technologies in the SAP ecosystem.
        it_user745797
        Business Intelligence Data Analyst at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
        Oct 8, 2017
        Provides valuable info with business intelligence analytics

What is most valuable?

Complex data modeling Qlik DataMarket

How has it helped my organization?

Automated a lot of manual reports to save business users' time. Provides valuable info with business intelligence analytics.

What needs improvement?

Reload time is a limit since everyone wants real-time data.

One year for Qlik Sense.

Takes up a lot of memory.

Customer Service: A nine out of 10. Technical Support: A nine out of 10.

QlikView. Qlik…
        it_user38577
        Manager Global IT Architecture at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
        Jul 28, 2017
        Provides self-Service use of the desktop version with the ability to port applications into the server environment

• "Self-service use of the desktop version with the ability to port applications into the server environment."
        • "Ability for the administrator to approve Community Sheets in the QMC and then move them into base sheets."

What other advice do I have?

Utilize the resources Qlik has online. The white papers, support site, and training are all very good and worth the effort.
        it_user38577
        Jul 25, 2017
        Provides self-Service capabilities for inexperienced users using the free desktop version

What is most valuable?

Provides self-service capabilities for inexperienced users using the free desktop version.

How has it helped my organization?

Gives significant visibility into vendor quality of service.

What needs improvement?

Enables the approval of community sheets in QMC.

We have been using this solution for 16 months.

There were no issues with deployment. It was fairly easy and well-documented.

The shared synchronization failed between servers.

There were no scalabilty issues. It is easy to add RIM nodes as needed.

How are customer service and

it_user491532
        Procesbeheerder - afdeling ICT at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Jun 26, 2017
        The quick reporting is very valuable.

What is most valuable?

Quick reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

Logistics work more efficient in real-time data.

What needs improvement?

More options for the layout.

1 year

Not really.

Not really.

Not really. The solution is scalable.

Customer Service: 7/10 Technical Support: 8/10

We did not look at any other solutions.

Not complex, straightforward.

What was our

Nahum Ben Binyamin
        IT Manager at a reseller with 51-200 employees
        Jun 21, 2017
        You can build a very nice dashboard and/or report very quickly, even if your data is scattered between different files or even platforms.

• "You can build a very nice dashboard and/or report very quickly."
        • "Qlik has a fast learning curve due to great online training resources (Qlik continuous classroom), but those are lacking the advance features like building extensions and using the API."

What other advice do I have?

Qlik is using what they call "Associative Model". While this is what give Qlik one of its benefits and for you (the developer/user) the ease of building rapid dashboard and reports, Make sure you truly understand this "Associative Model" before you are stepping into the role of building the data model for the solution.
        it_user672036
        Financial Analyst at Rockford Orthopedic Associates, LTD.
        May 25, 2017
        Makes it simple to design graphs on the fly.

What other advice do I have?

It is a significant time commitment on the front end, so plan accordingly.
        it_user665919
        Senior Business Intelligence Manager at a pharma/biotech company
        May 22, 2017
        In general, they have the advantage of an associative data model.

What other advice do I have?

I'm very satisfied with Sense; however, I prefer Qlik View even more at the moment due to some limitations with Sense (please see the area for improvements section).
        it_user668328
        P&C Underwriting Analyst at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
        May 22, 2017
        The mapping capabilities within the GeoAnalytics extension are valuable.

What is most valuable?

GeoAnalytics

How has it helped my organization?

The mapping capabilities within the GeoAnalytics extension have been a game changer. I no longer have to do that analysis in different tools and then bring it into our BI solution.

What needs improvement?

This tool is difficult for novices. You really have to have a good understanding of set analysis to put together a polished product.

I have used it for 18 months.

We encountered deployment issues with server performance.

We encountered stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability…
        it_user668088
        Director, Supply Chain Services Operations at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        May 22, 2017
        The QIX engine performance speed is a valuable feature.
        it_user667338
        Director Business Intelligence at Bridgehampton National Bank (BNB)
        May 18, 2017
        The storytelling features are valuable.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use Storytelling

How has it helped my organization?

It provides insight into data never achieved with the use of traditional tools such as Excel.

What needs improvement?

Font management

I have used it for six months.

We have not encountered any deployment issues so far.

To date, we have not encountered any stability issues.

To date, we have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer Service: Customer service is excellent. Technical Support: Technical support is excellent. …
        it_user667326
        Senior Research Analyst at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
        May 18, 2017
        Ease of use and connectivity to Qlik platform products are valuable.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use and connectivity to Qlik platform products are the most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

Able to provide quick solutions to meet analytical demands

What needs improvement?

More options in the non-scripting data load

I have used it for nine months.

I do not know if we encountered deployment issues.

I do not know if we encountered stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

I do not know whether a different solution was previously…
        Paul Nockolds
        Data Analyst at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        May 18, 2017
        Provides code compatibility with QlikView.

What other advice do I have?

Highly recommended; be prepared to immerse yourself in it when you start off.
        John Trevino
        Manager Business Intelligence at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
        May 10, 2017
        Non-technical users would get bogged down trying to set up expressions.

What other advice do I have?

It's an easy-to-use, fun visualization tool; probably best suited for prototyping. We explained this to Qlik Sense sales and were told we probably over bought.
        it_user655716
        Lead QlikView Architect/Manager at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
        May 10, 2017
        The self-service BI capabilities are valuable.

What is most valuable?

Self-service BI capabilities

How has it helped my organization?

Faster information delivery and enhanced decision making are examples of how it has improved the way my organization functions.

What needs improvement?

More functionality which can be built in instead of third-party vendor API/extensions

I have used it for one year.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer Service: Customer…
        it_user545430
        Capacity Analyst at a security firm with 10,001+ employees
        Apr 2, 2017
        I like the charts and tables and how they interconnect.

What is most valuable?

The charts and tables and how they interconnect. The speed at which you can drill down into a single row of data amongst 100s of millions like we have is amazing.

How has it helped my organization?

We can now view where and how we lose hours (ie. vacation, bereavement, sickness, training, union business, etc.)

What needs improvement?

Training resources in print.

1.5 years

Customer Service: They're good, but sometimes lack in responding on time. Technical Support: 5/10 - really needs improvement, we can't be expected to spend large amounts of…
        it_user167142
        Data Analyst at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Mar 23, 2017
        From the development side, we enjoyed using it because you can easily visualize the data that you have into something consumable to the business users.
        Ed Dallal
        Founder, CEO, & President at Krystal Sekurity
        Mar 3, 2017
        Although the ability to modify on the fly is one of the reasons we switched to Qlik Sense, this feature has some room for improvement.

What other advice do I have?

QlikSense is really intuitive, easy to use and implement with very rich graphics. Adding the ability to share print and export is a great plus in v2.0.
        it_user121926
        BI Expert at a tech services company
        Aug 31, 2016
        Implementation is fast and users can simply make their own analysis. I miss dynamic expression or sheet name labels.

What other advice do I have?

No specific advice, but I would say "go for it". :) I have never had a disappointed customer.
        it_user123936
        Sr Programmer Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
        Aug 31, 2016
        It allows us to prototype immediately during a meeting with internal clients.

What other advice do I have?

Install the product, try it. If you can get a hold of a third-party consultant or professional services, go ahead and do it. I recommend SME.
        it_user220716
        Partner at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
        Aug 31, 2016
        It has a modern user interface and extensive integration capabilities. Sometimes, sessions close down before the timeout limit.

What is most valuable?

Modern user interface and integration capabilities are the most valuable features of the product, to me.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has improved the way my organization functions by spreading the use of BI.

I have used Qlik Sense 2.2 for one year.

We have some problems with sessions closing down before the timeout limit.

I rate technical support 10/10.

We used MS Analysis Server & MS Reporting Services for some years and compared to Qlik products, it was inflexible, old-fashioned and slow.

Initial…
        it_user421155
        Solution Engineer - QlikView/Qlik Sense at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
        Aug 30, 2016
        It provides ETL and associative search functions. They should add more chart options. You have to use a lot of APIs to make up for the limitations.

What other advice do I have?

Standardization in design/development is crucial. FULL communication and documentation with EVERYONE is needed. I don’t know how much time has been lost or efforts duplicated because of a lack of all this.
        Arthur Kancelarovicz
        BI Specialist at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
        Aug 30, 2016
        I like the possibility of generating in-memory insights using self-service data connections with any database.

What other advice do I have?

Just test before you buy. All BI platforms have a lot of functionalities and, also, a lot of needs.
        it_user319260
        R&D Manager and Co-Owner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
        Aug 30, 2016
        It can analyze huge quantities of data. Predictive analysis is still not available.

What other advice do I have?

Take practice courses and use community suggestions.
        it_user388488
        IT Analyst at a government with 501-1,000 employees
        Jul 28, 2016
        Build nice mobile/desktop panels with no code and get new graphics from Github

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product for people who don't need deep stats and have no programming background. Qlik cloud's performance is an issue, as it has no costs - the resources are shared. A view at a glance of Brazilian ports dockings:
        it_user469104
        Software Developer at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
        Jul 3, 2016
        Drill down, drill down, drill down.

Valuable Features:

Drill down, drill down, drill down.

Improvements to My Organization:

Our policy makers can quickly and easily make sense of the mounds of data we have for them.

Room for Improvement:

It would be nice to have a better system for help tickets than a community forum. sometimes you just want some answers from someone who works for the company itself.