QlikView Overview

QlikView is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Embedded BI Tools. It is most often compared to Tableau: QlikView vs Tableau

What is QlikView?

QlikView is a Business Intelligence tool that allows you to keep tabs on all of your business-related information in a clean, clear, and easy to access database that is intuitive to build and simple to navigate. It is ideal for business owners who wish to improve overall output by creating the most productive system possible.

QlikView Buyer's Guide

Download the QlikView Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

QlikView Customers

Canon, Gatorade, Amcor, Panasonic, Fila, Cambridge University Hospitals, Global Retail Bank, North Yorkshire Police department, Lanoo Group Publishers, and AonGroep Nederland.

QlikView Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

User at Toccato Tecnologia em Sistemas
Reseller
For the first time, they were able to analyze consistent data

What is our primary use case?

I developed an application for a hospital to improve the potential of analysis of that company. I used Windows Server 2008, 8Gb RAM, two processors.

How has it helped my organization?

The hospital improved the quality of the data analysis and increased its profits, because, for the first time, they were able to analyze consistent data.

What is most valuable?

Speed of development Ease of learning Low ROI Fast deliveries Scalability Multiplatform, and speed in queries.

What needs improvement?

Improvement in the graphical user interface Introducing HTML 5 Context sensitive Drag and drop visualization Responsive design.

More than five years.
CM
Manager, Financial Systems Deployment, EPSI at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is pretty easy to deploy. It would be nice if users could create their own dashboards and add fields.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is an application that our users use to get the profitability on a monthly basis.

What is most valuable?

It's pretty easy to deploy.

What needs improvement?

I would want them to have more options as a user. It would be nice for them to create their own dashboards and add fields.

I did not encounter any issues with stability of the product.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability of the product.

We usually use a partner for technical support, so I cannot really rate the service.

We had the partner help us set up the product…
Learn what your peers think about QlikView. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Technical Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The initial setup is not very complex. You can do a lot in the back end which is not possible in the other solutions.

What is our primary use case?

So the primary use case of QlikView, I have worked with financial maintenence.

• "The initial setup is not very complex."
  • "You can do a lot of things on the back end which are not possible in the other solutions on the market."
  • "The pricing is high."
  • "It needs work with visualization."
  • "Needs improvement with UI transparency."

What other advice do I have?

You can do a lot of things at the back end that you cannot do with other competitive solutions.
Assistant Manager at KPMG Global Services (KGS)
I had the option to prepare data myself instead of always having to depend on the data team

What is our primary use case?

I have used QlikView to create powerful and compelling data visualisations. QlikView is a well-rounded tool with good visualisation component and data preparation features.

How has it helped my organization?

Using QlikView, we have been able to derive the value out of our data much faster than with other tools because of its easy to understand/use components and features.

What is most valuable?

As a developer, I liked that using QlikView, I had the option to prepare data myself instead of always depending on the data team.

What needs improvement?

More/newer visualisation components need to be added. QlikView's ability to embed custom visualisation is not a great experience.

More than five years.
Assistant Manager at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Provides scripting as per a customer's need

What is our primary use case?

Our sales reps use dashboards for reporting latest inventory quantities on a real-time basis, which is critical for the business.

• "Scripting as per a customer's need, which is a pretty cool feature and not available in other tools."
  • "Installation and deployment could be made easier and quicker."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, it is an excellent product.
Enterprise Architecture & Business Analyst - Analytics at a paper AND forest products with 1,001-5,000 employees
In-memory feature gives us better insights, and drill-down is easy

What is our primary use case?

We use it for analytics and for insight as well, what we call our standard reports, tabular reports. But mainly, to create a dashboard and analytic views.

• "The in-memory feature gives us better insight. It's also easy to drill down into the information and select information."
  • "For me, it is important to have a mix, what is the "view" and what is the "sense", Qlik Sense. They have two tools, but for me it is important to have only one tool, which combines the functions that we have from one side and the other side."

What other advice do I have?

I rate QlikView at eight out of 10. Compared with the SAP portfolio, in terms of administration, I think it lacks features. My advice, today, is you must look at the others, like Tableau or Microsoft, to compare. Everyone has their own objectives, what they want to get from a tool, so compare and see which ones respond to the requirements.
Partner with 51-200 employees
Reseller
QlikView has changed the face of BI, Qlik Sense has taken Qlik to the premier league

• "Associative model - no more cubes."
  • "Although Qliktech's road map clearly states that QlikView has a long way to go, most of the R&D effort seems to be benefiting Qlik Sense."

What other advice do I have?

Gartner and others have a good reason to rate it so high. Amazing product.
Board of Management with 501-1,000 employees
Enables us to build complex models very quickly and helps with data visualization

• "Its ability to build, very quickly, very complicated models."
  • "Improvement in collaboration, between that and publishing of reports and publishing of models."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product. We have a lot of reference meetings because we were the first bank in the country to implement it, this platform. So we're meeting our colleagues who are working not only in the banking industry but from telecom, from the pharmaceutical industry, etc. We recommend it. It's one of the best products in this segment, for BI, for the automation of analytical activity within the bank or within the company. It doesn't 100% cover everything, but in the area, it works very well.
Master Data at a hospitality company with 10,001+ employees
The tool is easy to implement with easy user adoption

What is most valuable?

Easy to implement.

How has it helped my organization?

Easy user adoption.

What needs improvement?

Data Science.

For eight years.

Not often.

I don’t think scalability is applicable to QlikView.

Yes, it was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Use QlikView for business, and Qlik Sense for BI developers.
Senior IT Business Partner at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Able to get information when we need it without running reports or it taking a huge amount of time

What is most valuable?

The dynamic way in which you can analyse data.

How has it helped my organization?

We are now able to get information when we need it without running reports or it taking a huge amount of time.

What needs improvement?

Cost: The licenses are expensive.

Eight years.

Only due to the costs.

An eight out of 10.

Straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

The system needs some technical expertise to set up and can be expensive, but once set up, it works well.
Data Manager at a wellness & fitness company with 10,001+ employees
Transformative. Lightning fast, flexible and a breath of fresh air

• "A well designed app brings freedom of inquiry to meetings, allowing me to answer questions in real time and this has transformed progress and outputs of our monthly group meeting."
  • "Syntax editor needs some work, it's frustrating to have valid syntax being flagged as incorrect."
Qlik Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
It is a highly sophisticated self-service business intelligence tool for developers and analysts.

• "E-T-L, The Extract, Transform, and Loading capabilities of QlikView make it a highly sophisticated self-service business intelligence tool for developers and analysts."
  • "The user interface and ease of use takes a bit of a learning curve to pick up."

What other advice do I have?

Invest in the memory and RAM of your PC or server you intend to use for QlikView. Ensure you have all the necessary resources and connectors installed for proprietary databases.
Beslutstödsutvecklare
Data transforming with scripting and the associative model are valuable features.

What is most valuable?

Data transforming with scripting, and the associative model that lets users browse data in an easy way, are the most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

Linking different sources of data in a way we could not do before has really helped decision-making regarding our production and focus.

What needs improvement?

Error handling

I have been using it 10+ years.

We have not really encountered any deployment issues.

Sometimes when developing QV applications, I encounter almost unexplainable errors that causes QV to crash.

Customer Service:…
Analyst - Business Applications at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
​The search feature provides the ability to see related data.

What is most valuable?

The search feature: ability to see the related data

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to see tremendous insight in our sales dashboard at deployment.

What needs improvement?

Data cleansing Better source data connectors

I have used it for 2 1/2 years.

We have not encountered any deployment issues; we had an experienced deployment partner.

We encountered a memory issue.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer Service: Customer service is outstanding. Technical…
Project Manager, Global Business Intelligence & Analytics at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Drag & drop storytelling provides value. I’m hoping to see mobile and smart device delivery.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this product are: its data modeling capabilities, the associated search function, various charting, the flexibility of doing sales in object, section access, and drag & drop storytelling.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been using Qlik for most of our front-end solution since adoption; people like it a lot.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see: Mobile and smart device delivery Set analysis simplification

I have used it for 3-5 years.

Performance sometimes is a concern. Occasionally, it hangs while running a script and it bounces out.

Technical support is OK.…
Business Intelligence Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
You can use it to look at large data volumes without straining the database or waiting a long time for data discovery.

What other advice do I have?

Determine what you require and get the tool that suits your need the best. Compare products and if you decide to go with Qlik, I personally prefer Qlik Sense. Again, this depends on your business need.
BI Project Leader with 1,001-5,000 employees
Data Discovery has allowed us to enrich the analysis of data and discover new ways to generate new KPIs.

What other advice do I have?

Make an accurate sizing analysis of information, with a view to growth.
IT Manager / Specialist at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
We use it to track information on service desk tickets and SLAs.

What other advice do I have?

It's s one of the best solutions for short-time deliveries.
Assistant Manager - Solution Consulting at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Real-time reporting is this product’s most valuable feature to me. The forecasting accuracy should be improved.

What is most valuable?

Real-time reporting is this product’s most valuable feature to me.

How has it helped my organization?

The decision-making process has been streamlined.

What needs improvement?

The forecasting accuracy should be improved.

I have used QlikView for one year.

I did not encounter any issues with deployment, stability or scalability.

I rate Qlik’s technical support on the high side.

Initial setup was straightforward.

We did it in-house, which I prefer.

What other advice do I have?

It’s about each and every individual and organization.
Project Manager at a local government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Review of QlikView
After seven years with this product, our number of new reports each year is still trending up, and the number of users is trending up. QlikView is helping us to uncover and address report/analysis needs that we never knew existed before. QlikView was a great solution for us based on our requirements: small business size (1200 users, mostly blue collar); no requirement for data warehouse, ability to do ETL within the load script (that's what eliminated Tableau for us); ability to to share interactive reports readily between users; and most important: optimized user experience, including easy to learn/use and short development cycles. We also needed integration with ESRI GIS which is (finally!) coming this year with a functional extension. As other departments come on (we are one…
Software Developer at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
We implemented applications that combine CRM data and sales data from two completely different data sources. It's the first step towards big data.

What other advice do I have?

Deployment and configuration of this tool is very simple. The tutorials that come with the installation of the product are very helpful with creating dashboards and learning about the product in short time.
Data Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Its associative model helped us identify customer purchase behavior and we could define combos according to this information.

What other advice do I have?

People who have interest on QlikView should also take a look on Qlik’s another product Qlik Sense. They have similar features (e.g. Section Access, Search function, Associative model). QlikView relies more on the IT side. IT builds the base and a majority of end-users make use of it. Some power users can build dashboards, share with others and create formulas in there. Qlik Sense is a self-service BI tool. It is easier to use and stronger in visualization. But some advance formulas might not be available.
Business Intelligence Data Architect at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The fact that QlikView provides its own QVD structure, removes all dependency on having a DBMS in place before implementing.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest having someone in-house doing the development of your models for you, be it dedicated to that role or in addition to another duty. Nobody understands your business quite like you or the people working for you, and that is always advantageous when building solutions for the business. Not to put down external consultants, but doing it this way can save you a bundle into the bargain.
Business Analyst at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
There's no need for any other tools, as ETL/scripting and visualisation are built right into one tool.
Business Intelligence Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
In-memory analysis and the associative database queries are valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend this solution.
Dashboards are easy to build. It needs built-in monitoring of ETLs.

What other advice do I have?

Assess the possibilities, advantages and disadvantages of the product as a whole with regard to the general characteristics of MIS systems and considering plans to use a management reporting platform across the enterprise.
Consultant at a tech services company
It provides data discovery along with BI solution design, which is a distinct advantage for data analysts. Its visualization feature could be enhanced by adding more types of chart designs.

What is most valuable?

Because it provides data discovery along with BI solution design, it has a distinct advantage for data analysts. Associative Experience is also valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution can be implemented quickly (normally within three months) with a low implementation cost.

I have been using QlikView for the last four years & am currently working on version 11.2 SR14.

Deployment of the QlikView solution is more or less smooth & simple compared to other BI solutions.

Scalability is directly proportional to RAM size & the number of concurrent users accessing the solutions. We didn't see…
Business Analyst ( Marketing BI Analytics) at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
You can use bookmarks for filters, rather than entering inputs every single time.

What other advice do I have?

QlikView can be a powerful tool in your organization if you are serious about a complete BI transformation and moving away from standard Excel reporting. Given standard training and experience, migrating to QlikView is a very good choice.
Vice President, Business Continuity Manager / Information Security Officer / Project Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Comparing it to Microsoft Access, it feels about 10 times quicker.

What other advice do I have?

QlikView requires a little bit of “handholding”, which was provided via a small expert group at my last employer. (Originally, we got to a “Yeah, I get it”, Eureka moment after one or two two-hour, on-site visits from the sales support team. Add a phone call or two.) I would suggest that while returns on efficiency would be quick, it is worth it to consider expanding the user group sooner, and having a strategy to grow the user bases very early on. I compared this tool to the over-use of MS Excel and MS Access to attempt to do similar things in my organization. And while we saved lots of time…
Profesional Management Database and Server, Networking, Virtualization Server. at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Easy to install and connect to MS SQL Server, and provides sales analysis with attractive graphics.
Solution Architect at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is excellent for number crunching with basic visualizations and known questions.

What other advice do I have?

Pick the right tool for the job/consumers of the products. There is not a single product that can cover all personas/use cases well or there would be only one product out there commanding the world – and there’s simply not just one. QlikView is great for numbers-focused users who live in Excel today and want a better way to create common metadata and analytics that can be easily distributed/consumed by target users.
Business Information Expert Performance Measurement at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
It combines ETL with powerful scripting options and a fast, flexible front end.

What other advice do I have?

Perhaps if you start from scratch, it is better to start with Qlik Sense, as it seems that most development effort goes into that product.
Reporting Analyst at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Non-technical stakeholders can quickly engage with and navigate through their data as business information.

What other advice do I have?

Although normal advice would be to mandate that the implementation deliver to business-specific requirements, it is strongly recommended to understand the product's great capabilities, and to exploit the competitive advantages of the product. Otherwise, it becomes just another business intelligence tool blindly shoehorned into a business that doesn't gain the best value and ROI from it.
Information Systems Development Manager(Senior) – Divisional Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
With its associative data capability, one click causes a whole ripple effect though the whole dashboard.

What other advice do I have?

QlikView really works well. We have had no complaints from users about its functionality. There has never (or hardly) been a time where a user makes a comment like “Oh, pity that QlikView can't do this…”
Partner at a tech company with 51-200 employees
It improves development productivity and allows self-help BI.

What other advice do I have?

Don’t believe the sales talk that you don’t need a datamart or data warehouse to run Qlikview on top of. It can run against ERP data but then the queries get very complicated and cumbersome.
Director, Business Analytics at a recruiting/HR firm with 51-200 employees
You can use its scripting capabilities to perform complex calculations and provide the required information much easier than other BI software.

What other advice do I have?

You need to understand well the users’ decision-making process, the data requirements and the actions users want to take. It is OK to start a Qlik project without complete data available.
Senior Manager at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
The associative engine and feature-rich expression scripts are the most valuable features of this product.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

Easy, low-TCO solution to consolidate and visualise data for analysis and reporting purposes. It provides better visibility of the company's position and its operations.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more visualisation objects features.

I have used QlikView for more than a year.

I encountered minimal deployment issues.

Technical support is excellent.

I have experience with other similar…
Service Delivery Manager - EABL at a consumer goods company with 501-1,000 employees
Data mining and consolidation are the products most valuable features to me.

What is most valuable?

Data mining and consolidation are the products most valuable features to me.

How has it helped my organization?

I was using this to track KPI’s on my outsourced end user support (ticketing, resolution & time it takes to resolve). This forced my contractor to deliver because QlikView provides an analysis of the issues as they appeared.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements to scheduled reporting and the capability to email the user.

I have used this solution for over four years.

I was using the cloud-based solution, so I didn’t have any issues.

Technical support was super, can't…
Technical Associate at a real estate/law firm with 10,001+ employees
The dynamic interactive dashboard is the most valuable feature of the product to me.

What other advice do I have?

You need to have good scripting skills.
Data Analyst at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
I like the connectivity integration options and load script engine.

What other advice do I have?

You need at least as much RAM on your server as the largest database table you will read, and it can't be a virtual installation.
Solutions Manager Business Intelligence at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
With in-memory calculations at the UI, it is possible to build charts, tables, etc. directly on the user interface.

What other advice do I have?

* Check your user and business requirements first and check if QV can help you solve your user / business needs. * If yes, check what are the potential uses of QV and describe the environment, company or unit size, # of users, # of applications, # of KPIs, and data volume. After this first check, you may be able to determine how big would your applications be, and thus estimate current and future RAM, necessary IT Infrastructure, # of servers, etc. I would talk to IT to see how to integrate QV into your IT environment. Many people start with an isolated QV implementation in their unit, which…
Managing Director at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It eliminates left, right, inner joins, and takes care of creating links between different tables.

What other advice do I have?

There are different tools in market, we have to differentiate between visualization and analytical tools , QlikView is analytical and descriptive tool.
IT Admin at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
Qlik takes less time to set up data sources and enables us to integrate multiple tables.

What other advice do I have?

IT from some other companies have asked me, and I recommended that they use Qlik.
Database Expert at a university with 501-1,000 employees
The most valuable feature of this product is quick and easy access to data by top management, in an elegant and colorful display that make is easy to visualize numbers.

What other advice do I have?

QlikView is a great product to get you up and running easily and quickly. However, it does not replace an enterprise reporting solution. It should be used for specific needs and would be too expensive and cumbersome to manage to deploy across the whole institution.
IT Specialist at a local government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Our productivity-to-cost ratio is much higher than Oracle BI.

What other advice do I have?

You need to assess carefully the choice between QlikView and Qlik Sense. We do not understand too well the coexistence of two products with the same function.
IT Admin at a logistics company with 501-1,000 employees
Preparing daily reports without requiring additional manpower was the biggest benefit.

What other advice do I have?

The only important advice is to take enough time for the concept of the future environment. That will make it easy to implement all needed add-ons with future changes. Follow the vendor’s suggestions for scale responsibilities (IT, developer, designer and end user). The Qlik user forum will be always helpful to find a solution.
Information Publishing Portfolio Manager at a comms service provider
My most valuable asset in QlikView is the ease with which any datasource can be integrated into the QlikView model for reporting.

What other advice do I have?

If possible, a site visit to other consumers of the tool often sheds a lot of light on work that can be done before implementation to overcome unnecessary problems and delays. For example, properly mapping financial processes, documenting and getting them signed off before a QlikView model is developed will save time and money in rework after the fact. Also forming a network of other users who are not related to the vendor is very valuable in getting unbiased advice. It is quite versatile and reasonably cost effective.
Developer with 501-1,000 employees
The Set Analysis Wizard allows us to create subsets in a smart, fast way. It allows you to control the results, taking into consideration user clicking and selecting data.

What other advice do I have?

I think it is the best BI product out there, competing only with its own “brother” Qlik Sense. (While the latter is not that mature yet, it is definitely growing in power extremely fast.) QlikView is a good choice!
Partner at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
We used MS Analysis Server & MS Reporting Services for some years and compared to Qlik products, it was inflexible, old-fashioned and slow.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for an online reporting and analysis BI product. Not to use only as a report generator; it's far more useful than that.
Owner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It allows you to set up a dashboard with pinpoint accuracy. The script engine for loading data needs a total overhaul.

What other advice do I have?

Be very careful when scoping the market. It is a good tool, but quite heavy on skills and hardware requirements.
BI Expert at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
It instantly loads huge amounts of data and immediately displays the relationship - both correlation and absence of correlation - between the data.

What other advice do I have?

Only a recommendation in order to assure the growth of a project with minimum impact on the previous deployed portion: As much as possible, try to solve data complexity on the backend side (where the logic is easily documentable), rather than in the front-end using only analytic functions.
Senior BI Consultant (Qlikview) at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
KPI uniformity across all departments has improved problem-solving efficiency.

What other advice do I have?

Due to the quick development of QlikView applications, best practices cannot be disregarded. (For example, load only fields/tables that users need to be available in the application’s layout. When the number of applications starts to increase, this can seriously affect user.
CJ
Decision Support Manager at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows us to create easily accessible what-if scenarios for decision making.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the QlikView tool for its flexibility and good data visualization and presentation.
Managing Partner at PBS
It has an associative data exploration feature and provides good performance with one hundred million lines of data.

What other advice do I have?

If you plan to develop dashboards and want the end users to further develop the dashboards, it requires some IT skills. If the end users should develop their own reports, Qlik Sense should be chosen.
Consultant at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
The in-memory associative engine is powerful. It provides quick answers when a user is exploring their data.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise you to seek out a local Qlik partner. They will be able to support your training and consulting needs and provide guidance regarding best practice for your implementation. QlikView has some superb, unique features but the desktop edition suffers from having a rather tired user interface. Default chart settings can often result in unattractive dashboards, which require significant adjustment in order to conform to best practice. These UI shortcomings have however been addressed in Qlik Sense.
Business Intelligence Consultant at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
After deployment, clients are able to explore and maintain it without any further charges for the software itself. It requires experienced users to help with development.
Solution Engineer - QlikView/Qlik Sense at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
It can connect to multiple sources of data without needing ETL prior to load.

What other advice do I have?

Standardization in design/development is crucial. FULL communication and documentation with EVERYONE is needed. I don’t know how much time has been lost or efforts duplicated because of a lack of all this.
Senior Business Analyst at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It runs in-memory so you can increase the speed by increasing RAM, depending on your budget.

What other advice do I have?

If you have more developers/technical people and want to do more standard reporting without Hadoop, go for QlikView; if you have more business users with some SQL knowledge and would like to do predictive analytics, and integration with big data platform Hadoop, go for Tableau.
IT Manager at a consumer goods company with 501-1,000 employees
It reduced the number of reports users construct manually.
COO at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It links different data sources to the same visualization.
Manager Analytics at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Our clients can access their business metrics in an interactive form on their smartphones. Interactivity options are limited and modelling options are not available.

What other advice do I have?

Client requirements should be clearly understood and limitations of the product should be communicated to clients before making any commitments. Often projects are jeopardized due to poor communication and unclear expectations. There are two reasons for my rating. First, the interactivity options are limited and, second, modelling options are not available. Also, we faced challenges with version changes and in integrating it with geographical information systems.
Consultor QlikView at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Before we started using it, it took four steps to load and clean our data. Now, we just connect the database, clean it and show the information.

Valuable Features

Fast development, support for QVD format files, and business discovery are the most valuable features of this product to me.

Improvements to My Organization

Before we started using QlikView, we needed to put or clean our data in four steps. Now, we just connect the database, clean it and show the information.

Room for Improvement

In the next version/release, I'd like to see mashup possibilities and real-time connections.

Use of Solution

I have used QlikView for five years, and Qlik Sense for two years.

I encounter deployment issues but it depends on how you develop it and for what are you using this tool.

Technical support provides high-level service.

Initial setup is…
Analyst Control and Monitoring at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
We now have all of the company's important information in one tool, so it's easier to analyze it.

What other advice do I have?

I think QlikView is a good tool if your company is not big, because of the licence cost. If your company is big, it’s a good idea to have an in-house team for new implementation or for little changes, because technical support could be expensive. I think QlikTech is working in the right path to improve the usability of QlikView with the new tool Qlik Sense.
IT Admin at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides an easy way to grant access to all data or just bits of it to specific users.

What other advice do I have?

It’s important to understand that the quality of the final data will have a direct relationship to the source of information. You can really apply here the phrase "Garbage in-Garbage out". Because once QV is up and running, almost everyone will turn to the dashboards as THE source of information, it’s imperative to be sure the source of data is flawless. It’s a great BI tool to convert raw data coming from several different sources into a dashboard full of in-depth knowledge, to do proper information analysis and make accurate decisions for the company.
Information System & Business Enterprise Manager at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is easy for developers and for end users. The management console could have better interfaces for managing security.

What other advice do I have?

Keep it simple, involve the team (prototype with them - don’t throw a fancy app over the wall at the end users and expect them to actually engage), do POCs before you decide which BI system you will adopt.
Head of Qlikview IT at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
The business is delighted with its self-service capabilities, without the usual restrictions working through traditional IT channels.

What other advice do I have?

Happy Qlikking! Take the time to understand the data, and develop solid data models. This will ensure good performance and a great user experience. Just because QlikView can do it, doesn’t mean it should. (There is still a place for traditional BI, databases and ETL/ELT.) Develop fit-for-purpose applications.
Sales Engineer at a tech consulting company with 11-50 employees
It provided previously unknown intelligence. Cost and performance issues were too great to overcome.

What other advice do I have?

Since we stopped using it, there might have been some improvements to the speed of the reports and also to the pricing structure. At the time I was using this software, there were several comparable solutions at a fraction of the cost. The other solutions also performed better with less resources.
Marketing Intelligence Analyst at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Their proprietary SET analysis allows calculations to be based on calculated dimensions, aggregations, and other logic against real-time selection of data. Licensing is cumbersome and expensive.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great tool for analysis and dashboards. It is better complemented by bringing in data as complete as possible in terms of calculated fields, case statements, etc. QlikView syntax can take some time to learn and might not be as flexible as SQL or other similar languages, in terms of capability in manipulating data.
IT Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides flexible data loading and presentation without a data warehouse.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for dashboards and do not have a data warehouse yet, QlikView is the best option.
Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Data is automatically extracted from the database, so users can see data and charts in real-time. The license price is expensive.

Valuable Features

In-memory processing and ETL function are the most valuable features of the product to me.

Improvements to My Organization

Because data is automatically extracted from the database, users can see the operating data and charts in real-time.

Room for Improvement

I would like to see them add a powerful map and improve statistic functions.

Use of Solution

I have used this solution for three years.

I have encountered scalability issues. Users get slower report response time when there are a lot of chart expressions.

Technical support is OK.

Initial setup was straightforward. QlikView is an excellent product.

Implementation Team

We implemented using a vendor team.

Pricing,

FSI IT Consulting Manager at Deloitte Portugal
As long as its back end data model is well designed, it is intuitive.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have your data straight - think like Kimball, but act like Inmon - before moving to QlikView.
Analista de inteligencia de mercado at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is possible to work with a large amount of data without affecting the performance.
Consultant at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We can make somewhat complex reports, even though it does not have the best capabilities as an ETL tool.

What other advice do I have?

QlikView is your one-stop shop for all of your BI needs, and it performs well enough. With one tool, you can take raw data from your database/files and develop the complex analytic apps, which I think is the best thing going for QlikView. It’s very flexible and has matured itself well enough to be deployed organization-wide. The learning curve is definitely higher and you might need your apps developed by IT. It is good for organizations that don't want to invest in multiple products.
MIS General Manager at a engineering company with 501-1,000 employees
Users can see the operating data and chart in real-time. I would like it to have powerful map and statistical functions.

Valuable Features

The in-memory architecture and ETL function are the most valuable features of this product to us.

Improvements to My Organization

Data is automatically extracted from the database. Users can see the operating data and chart in real-time.

Room for Improvement

I would like to see them add powerful map and statistical functions.

Use of Solution

We have used this solution for three years (starting with the BI project kick-off).

Dashboards’ response time is slow when the logic behind them are complex or when there are many dashboards in one QVD file.

It’s quite good and their response time is quick.

Implementation Team

Districom, a QlikView partner and reseller, implemented the BI solution for…
Product Specialist and Education Services at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
The associative indexing engine does away with the need to design and build OLAP cubes.

What other advice do I have?

Join the Qlik Community, ask around if you have any questions, and hire certified consultants. Take my rating in the context of a complete Business Intelligence platform: data acquisition, transformation, reporting, dashboards, visualization, analytics, collaboration, mobility, and so on.
BI Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
The most valuable features of the product are its in-memory and ETL capabilities, especially the set analysis function.

What other advice do I have?

Consider the ETL capabilites of the tool, not only the visualisation. And, of course, the performance!
Business Intelligence Latin America Leader at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Once you select data on the dashboard, it highlights the unavailable data in order to show that those combinations don’t exist or aren’t possible.

What other advice do I have?

Qlikview has a huge community in the internet with a lot of examples, online course, etc. It will help a lot to test by yourself. I would recommend providing a POC among the tools to identify which of them would fulfill your needs better.
BI Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
In-memory allows fast slicing and dicing of data.

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate visualization tools based on your organization need and appetite to spend on BI technologies overall (DB, etc.)
Senior IT Project Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
SQL scripting provides the fastest way to pull data into the system.

What other advice do I have?

QlikView and QlikSense are powerful tools that require IT and BI expertise to take full advantage of. True BI utilization is not just dragging fields and creating graphs. It requires deep knowledge of data utilization and visualization. Qlik can provide that, BUT at the cost of additional IT or BI expertise.
Project Manager - Business Intelligence at www.datademy.es
We use QlikView to create department dashboards with useful analysis.

What other advice do I have?

QlikView is an excellent reporting and data discovery tool. I have used it on a departmental scale, but not on a corporate level so I don't know how it will behave on that level.
Senior Manager - Anti Money Laundering at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
The product enables top management with better decision making if utilized properly.

What other advice do I have?

It is best suited for Dashboarding, Analysis and Reporting. Do not try to re-implement everything from a previous BI product if you had one. Ensure that the QlikView features & functionality are properly utilized to get the best out of it.
Associate Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Integration with almost all databases is good.

What other advice do I have?

There is a number of criteria you have to see before you start implementing the product, as you compare Qlikview with other tools such as Tableau. You make sure that you check the cost, ease of use, differnt ways to displaying the information etc.
Director, BI & Analytics at a leisure / travel company with 10,001+ employees
Top ReviewerTop 20

What other advice do I have?

I would never propose QlikView, or any other single tool, as THE definitive data visualization and dashboard tool for every organization, but it did best meet our particular needs. Organizations with more data-savvy, self-sufficient business users may find a product like Tableau, or Qlik's other product, QlikSense, to be a better option.
IT Analyst at a government with 501-1,000 employees
​There have been no stability ​issues and a restart can be automated on a virtual machine. It can be deprecated as it follows an older approach.

What other advice do I have?

Their competitors seem to be more up to date with features and technology. Check whether Qlik Sense is better for you, otherwise you may acquire a legacy tool. This is a collage of some panels, in Portuguese. The data refers to Brazilian docking ports and loads by type of load, goods, and regions.
Analytics Application Consultant Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
The associative and in-memory technology are the most valuable features.

What is most valuable?

The associative and in-memory technology are the most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

It’s an easy way to create dashboards with minimal training. This product is good and I can collect data from multiple data sources.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve on the idea, concept and support.

I've used it for five years, alongside Qlik Sense.

There were no issues with the deployment.

There were no issues with the stability.

There were no issues with scaling it.

Senior Software Developer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
You can start working with it immediately after installation.

Valuable Features:

Easy to use in small/middle organization Cheap tool when compared to MicroStrategy It does require a separate ETL tool

Improvements to My Organization:

It helps to provide answers quickly for critical business questions. It has reduced our time spent on data entry and manipulation and can identify areas for cost cutting.

Use of Solution:

We've used it for three years.

It's good.

Initial Setup:

It's a straightforward set-up. You can start working with QlikView immediately after installation.

Implementation Team:

I have implemented it for different clients.

Other Solutions Considered:

I also use MicroStrategy.

Other Advice:

If you are having small business set-up then you have to go for QlikView else MicroStrategy is more…
Senior BI Consultant at a retailer with 51-200 employees
​We use it for dashboard reporting.

Improvements to My Organization

We use it for dashboard reporting.

Room for Improvement

It needs JDBC connection for different databases.

Use of Solution

I've used it for five years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's good. Technical Support: It's good.

Consultants setup our tools.

ROI

I think it is good. We took awards area of Big Data Technologies and we give some free or paid services to our customers.

Other Advice

You should try the trial version. if it is usable for your business, you should buy it.
IT Project Manager at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
It saves us time by providing information all in one place for our users. However, it has a complicated license management.

Improvements to My Organization:

It provides information all in one place for our users. It saves us time.

Room for Improvement:

Threshold for a non-coder to create new reports. Complicated license management.
SAP Application Specialist at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
It's helped us get faster KPI's in many departments and it produces reports quickly.

What is most valuable?

It produces reports quickly.

How has it helped my organization?

We're able to get faster KPI's in many departments.

What needs improvement?

Job scheduler needs work.

I've used it since 1 November 2012.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 10/10 - it's perfect, very fast and very good support. Technical Support: 10/10, Heyde is a perfect partner.

Data Warehouse built with SQL,and…
Product Manager - Healthcare Analytics at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
It's helped us aggregate our client-based data, but it is a very heavy RAM utilizer.

What other advice do I have?

Review your end-goals, internally and externally. This can be a powerful tool for your clients but also for internal decision making.
BI Expert at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Advanced information applications can be built, not only simple ones.

What other advice do I have?

Think seriously about the possible population of users, how it will grow-up, and check the licensing cost and its limitations.
Founder, CEO, & President at Krystal Sekurity
It's easy to use but more graphics and dashboard support would be an improvement.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use Implementation Processing speed

How has it helped my organization?

Trends Opportunities Automated reporting

What needs improvement?

More graphics Dashboard support

I've used QlikSense for six months.

Not really.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's very good. Technical Support: I haven't had a need to contact them.

We used Cognos BI which was fast but a bit complex.

We used an in-house team.

It's…
Lead Technical with 1,001-5,000 employees
Needs more support for collaboration. Extremely powerful for data analysis.

What is most valuable?

Amazing performance Easy to use self service Extremely powerful for data analysis

How has it helped my organization?

It has dramatically improved development time for BI reports. Using traditional tools like OBIEE or SAP BO, BI was more like an IT dependent work stream. Now it has reached the business side, who can do their own analysis. Users can drill data without much IT help.

What needs improvement?

More flexibility to alter auto association in the data model. Support for collaboration.

3 years

No issues with deployment, except a few hurdles for single sign on integration.

No, CPU and memory…
Associate Director at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
The SME server edition doesn't include a deploy tool but it's a really good package for management reporting purposes.

What other advice do I have?

It is a really good package for your management reporting purpose, as you do not rely on IT support to add/revise any reports.
IT Specialist at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
We mainly use it for visualizations. Issues we experienced were due to issues with our server hardware.

What is most valuable?

Integrated ETL In-memory data QlikView Management Console Front-end design.

How has it helped my organization?

Implemented some visualizations for: Orders Management Sales Dashboard Contribution Margin Dashboard Budget x Real Expenses Management So now we have better control in some areas, like Sales, Logistics and Financials. Sales, Marketing, Internal Controls, Factory, HR, Logistics, etc. all still have room for improvement.

Over two years.

Yes, because at the beginning I didn't have the appropriate hardware in our servers. After an upgrade, there were no problems at all.

What do I think

Consulting Manager at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Fast access to data is a valuable feature but a less monolithic approach is needed

What is most valuable?

Fast access to data Rapid development Rich graphic interface

What needs improvement?

Licensing costs Cloud solution Less monolithic approach

Six years.

Yes we did.

Customer Service: 8 out of 10 Technical Support: 8 out of 10

We previously used SAP BW, and we changed because it had very complex development, and long development times.

It was…
Project Manager at a logistics company with 51-200 employees
We now have set up and shared dashboards across our services. Not all the features are available for Mac users.

What other advice do I have?

Define precisely your needs, your budget and the resources available to set-up, deploy and maintain the solution. There are different solutions on the market, choose the one that will answer your needs.
Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Information used to be spread across different platforms, now we have a single source. GUI could be improved.

Valuable Features:

Memory data management, quick analysis and reporting.

Improvements to My Organization:

We can collect and analyze information; until now information was spread across different sites, databases and spread sheets, managed by people belonging to different organizations. Now reports are available in short time in a single source.

Room for Improvement:

Graphic User Interface, the product could be improved by a smarter, more intuitive and friendly interface for graphs or reports.

Use of Solution:

2 months.

Deployment Issues:

No issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

No problems with stability.

Scalability Issues:

Yes, we had issues with scalability.

Team Lead, Data Engineering at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
Would be nice to see an improvement in server performance. Overall very intuitive to use.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use, visualization, intuitive, the Qlik method of ETL, Qlik Sense

How has it helped my organization?

Analysis in real time, predictive analytics, reporting

What needs improvement?

Server performance. Reloading of data sometimes weigh down the server's performance.

1 year

No issues with deployment.

Slight issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Customer Service: 8/10 Technical Support: 8/10

SAP BusinessObjects.…
BI Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
With one of our implementations, we saved the company over $1 million. Look and feel of the charts could be improved.

Valuable Features

Powerful Business Discovery Capabilities Fast Implementation Time Ease of Use Easily Scalable Quality Product

Improvements to My Organization

With one of our Implementations at a mining house, we were able to save the company over $1 million, by cutting out surplus inventory.

Room for Improvement

The look and feel of the charts and graphs can greatly be improved.

Use of Solution

2.5 Years.

No deployment problems.

No stability problems.

No scalability problems.

Customer Service: Very good. Technical Support: Very good.

The setup is very straightforward. The documentation is clear and concise.

Other Advice

Choose a good…
Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A lot of options in the tabbed panel used for different components

What is most valuable?

Its easy and fast to build dashboards.

One year

Sometimes the product final (look & feel) is different from the desktoop tool and the web server.

Its a product very stable

Customer Service: 4 out of 5. Technical Support: 4 out of 5.

Microstrategy. We changed because Qlikview is faster to build a dashboard than Microstrategy.

Vendor team Good expertise

Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Presentation of data on a map and what-if modeling could be better, but its point and click user interface is valuable

What other advice do I have?

To do careful requirements analysis, be sure that you have all relevant data available, start the project with somebody, who has an opinion of QlikView.
AVP at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Best In Memory Tool

Valuable Features:

Our business finds this tool very impressive, particularly the drill down to nth level is very good.

Improvements to My Organization:

Yes. we were using BO previously and it took a long time to track particular trade details. In QlikView we get trade level data in seconds.

Room for Improvement:

Yes, Drag and drop of controls. Some geographical charts.

Use of Solution:

I've been using this tool for 4.5 years

None.

None as of now.

Scalability Issues:

Sometimes it creates problem when many users log in at same time, but this also depends on your RAM capacity.
BI Expert at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
Data discovery, in memory analysis, one development for all devices is very valuable. Can improve in version management.

What is most valuable?

Data discovery, in memory analysis, one development for all devices, ease of use for both developer and end-user

How has it helped my organization?

A proof of concept with the customers data can be done in 1-3-5 days depending on the number of KPI’s and datasources to address.

What needs improvement?

Version management

+ 3 years

No, server hardware sizing is very important here.

Customer Service: Excellent, good reviews by Gartner as well.Technical Support: Excellent, good reviews by Gartner…
Senior Manager of Data Analytics at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
Great for personal productivity and data analysis. Forget it if you just need a reporting tool

What other advice do I have?

Well, it really depends on what you're looking for. It's not a reporting product, it's an analysis/data discovery tool and it does it really well.
Business Manager (Exco level) & Executive Director at a retailer with 51-200 employees
Start & the rest will follow. Just keep an eye open that design change to a pivot table can be problematic.

Valuable Features:

1) The ease with which self-service BI can be achieved via a small scale trail deployment

Improvements to My Organization:

The company moved from paper based reporting to full dashboard reporting in the Sales function

Room for Improvement:

Very little

Use of Solution:

2 years

None

Stability Issues:

In some cases making a design change to a Pivot table can be problematic if an additional dimension is added to a report that has a “matrix” layout like the following:

Scalability Issues:

None – During a stress test it was able to load 38 million records without any problems on simple dual core PC with ONLY 1 GB OF RAM (absolutely amazing. I would not have…
BI Expert with 51-200 employees
A powerful user-friendly BI tool with an amazing graphic interface but security is difficult and slow to implement.

What other advice do I have?

What I have seen is that it's addictive for the users. So if you are an IT manager and you are planning to use another BI tool, try not to show Qlikview to the users or they won´t let you change.
BI Expert at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Works well when you have the right hardware to support it.
QlikView is a powerful visualization and data discovery tool, and works well when you have the right hardware to support it. I've seen the users getting excited about the tool, and the usage ever expanding in most places, provided the KPIs available are relevant. The tool offers much more capability than simple dashboarding - the natve qvd file formats are excellent if you want to do lots of data cleansing and massaging. Due to this reason, clients can avoid having a separate database license for DWH (please note that QV is not a full fledged DWH, though it supports the most wanted functionalities). QlikView works out to be the best cost effective when the number of users vary between 50 to 250. Users above or below may have its impact on the pricing per user. In a nutshell, it is a…
Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Excellent product (if RAM intensive) that is easy to use and delivers on its promises.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product that is easy to learn. Ensure you still put the necessary work into the "back-end" design as even thought the new breed of BI tools are easy to use, having a well designed data structure behind the model will make the speed and scalability that much better.
BI Expert at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Continues changing, adding more features, improving performance, opening new possibilities
QlikView was born in 1994 in Lund, Sweden. While it was quickly spreading in Europe, it was virtually unknown in the US for many years. In 2000, there were few companies that used this BI tool. (I was lucky to work in one of these companies and learn QlikView in early 2000.) The situation is quite different now. Certainly the product has changed a lot, but the most important features that are responsible for its success remain the same. First of all, the exceptional ease of use. User doesn’t need to learn anything “BI-specific” or any particular technology. If you know how to click – you can use QlikView applications. Well, maybe 15-minute presentation is needed to explain what this particular application is about and how to use it. Second, there is no steep learning curve…
CEO with 51-200 employees
Top Reviewer
More than just a pretty face, there is some truly innovative, and very useful technology on offer here
QlikView has more than just a pretty face, there is some truly innovative, and very useful technology on offer here. The company talks of maintaining associations between data, and this facilitates a much more flexible approach to data exploration and visualization. In practice what this means is that users can search available data resources with the knowledge that any relevant items will be retrieved, no matter how disjoint the origins of the various data items. In a way it is almost a merging of enterprise search with BI – something I talked about several years ago. The QlikView Business Discovery Platform provides an enterprise wide solution to the need for information. It embraces IT (instead of alienating it), business users and analysts. This is comprised of three main components –…
Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Yet another possibility with QlikView.
I sometimes wonder, haven’t we seen all the possibilities for QlikView? The answer is simple – NO! The other day a client of my, asked if I could build some kind of a data warehouse monitor upon their enterprise data warehouse. This client has a SQL Server data warehouse with QlikView as a frontend. The data in the data warehouse are updated in parallel processes, so data for each country are loaded in different time of the day. They also do ad hoc updates of the data warehouse if needed. They have a nice log table in the SQL Server data warehouse, telling us when each ETL step is updated, and if there have been any errors in a step. However, reading this log is not that easy. Therefore, they asked if QlikView could visualize the data in some kind of a data warehouse monitor. My…
Director of IT at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
QlikView on the Clouds
With the #cloud and #BigData becoming more relevant for enterprises, there is a lot of interest to explore ways of using QlikView on the Cloud. While discussions on private cloud, public cloud and hybrid clouds are continuing, I would focus on using QlikView on Infrastructure on Cloud in this short coverage. Any enterprise wanting to run QlikView on an off-premise “Cloud” infrastructure can do so by using the QlikView image available on Amazon EC2 cloud. This can allow enterprises to create off-premise, often distributed deployment of QlikView. In essence, running QlikView on Amazon EC2 is very much like running QlikView in-premise. The licenses for QlikView are required to be purchased. The software distribution need not be installed on the Amazon EC2, but a ready-made image of…
Director of Development at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Big Data – Qlikview (Allies or Foes)
“Big Data” as it is generally defined as: A large voluminous, fast changing, multi-structured dataset, generally distributed in nature, non-EDW compliant (mix of RDBMS/non-RDBMS) dataset Due to the nature and flow of data, it has associated issues and complexities like performance, governance and analytics etc… In general discussions, “Big Data” term is generally used analogous to Hadoop infrastructure, but in this discussion, we will assume Big Data as a principle rather than a current technology/solution. “Qlikview” on other hand, is In-memory Business Intelligence Solution able to handle very large datasets and advocates its user friendliness and intuitiveness, shorter development cycles and analytical capabilities among other things… Now once, Big Data/Qlikview…
Developer with 51-200 employees
BI Tool Rant: Qlikview Pie Charts
This posting is the first in a subset of posts I plan to make on this site that I can use as my method of stress release in regards to general frustrations with business intelligence tools and all related subject matter. In terms of BI tools I can not say that I align myself to any single software. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses and it’s a combination of that matrix of features (or lack thereof) along with the context of the business implementation that needs to be considered when picking a tool to investment. That being said let me get back to my rant… IF YOU LOVE PIE CHARTS DON’T USE QLIKVIEW! Okay, okay let me elaborate on such a strong claim. On a recent piece of work that I had done for a client they had wanted to utilize a portion of their dashboard with a…
Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Managing QlikView Server Without a Publisher
I have many clients who are using QlikView Small Business Edition or Enterprise Edition without Publisher. I'd love for them to add Publisher because I HATE HATE HATE managing file permissions in windows. I love that publisher automatically distributes QlikView documents to the User Documents folder and I can easily change who will receive each file right from the Management Console AND I don't have to remote into the server to do it Ok, time to end this publisher love-fest and time to get down to the business of designing our security environment when you don't have publisher. I'm writing this post because I spent a good chunk of the other day fixing a problem we had that was caused by a goofed up security configuration(This is called learning from experience because I goofed it…
QlikView Enterprise Deployment
PART 1 --------- QlikView is a great business discovery tool that can easily generate excitement among business users. However, to build out a QlikView system that can support tens, hundreds, or even thousands of users is no easy task. As a QlikView consultant I have seen these scenarios many times: - A business analyst is eagerly showing an IT manager the beautiful dashboards he/she builds in QlikView, and can’t wait to show the dashboards to hundreds of internal and external users; - A business executive wants all business users to self-service their information needs through a QlikView platform. Often times the IT managers seem to be less excited than their business counterparts. To be fair, in order to build a solid system, IT managers have a lot of questions that…
Recruiter with 51-200 employees
Qlikview compared to other BI Tools
Qlikview is one of the older names in Business Intelligence software since it’s been around since 1993. It’s known as being particularly easy to learn, which is important for quickly training employees and getting them up to speed. Business intelligence tools are applications that deal with Business Objects and that help with analysing and presenting data. For the most part, a BI tool will be working with data that’s already been in-putted into a system, and you’ll simply be using the BI application to work with that particular data set, though there are exceptions. The best business intelligence software for you though will depend on what you need, since there are many pros and cons of various BI programs. -- Cons -- Qlikview has strong features all around, but there are other…
Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
What’s So Great About QlikView in the iPad World?
Disclosure: I work for a company that is a partner with QlikView, SAP BusinessObjects and Microsoft. As a non-Apple using professional (we are becoming less in numbers) I have always leaned further to the Android side of the mobile world. As a QlikView professional, most of my experience is on Windows desktops, laptops and servers and in previous years involved less interaction with what many people believe to be the greatest gadget(s) in the world. So enter the iPad and QlikView V11.0.11426.0 SR2. Day one, the first step was simple, get to the QlikView Access Point. Open the browser, navigate to my access point and sign in. Outside of the search for the “\” key (domain\userid) that all went well. The first question you are presented with after getting to the access point is…
Consultant with 51-200 employees
Impressions from Tableau in comparison with QlikView
I had the chance to get to Tableau Customer Conference in early November 2012 and thanks to exceptionally good organization of the event I was able to greatly enhance my picture of Tableau (which I first reviewed 2 years ago) and get answers to some questions. Below are my impressions from Tableau (which I haven't used in real projects yet) in comparison with QlikView -- tool I've been working with since 2009. First thing I'd like to tell -- starting from version 8 Tableau can honestly be considered a truly mature product -- a big difference with what I saw two years ago. It's a smartly designed, feature-full and powerful analytic tool which is especially good for ad hoc query and analysis (Q&A). Prior to Tableau I considered BusinessObjects WebIntelligence to be the best Q&A tool on…
Partner at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
When is the best time to implement Business Intelligence?
When is the best time to implement Business Intelligence? Many of our clients still operate with outdated ERP legacy systems. The common complaint we hear is “I cannot get access to the information that is stored in my ERP system!” Most commonly, issues are due to the fact that when these systems were built, paper-based reporting was still dominant. That is not the case anymore. --A New Approach to Reporting-- There are ways to solve data access and reporting issues today without having to go through a costly conversion to a new ERP system. Today a number of new software products are available that are relatively easy to deploy. These tools can put the power if information in the hands of users. -- QlikView -- We recently reviewed one such product from QlikView. This…
What QlikView Consultants can learn from the A-Team
Growing up in the 80′s and 90′s, one of my favorite TV shows was the A-Team. Over-the-top, cartoonish action with huge explosions, cars flipping over in mid-air topped off with a cool theme song. And all without anyone getting seriously hurt. This was the perfect TV show for young Barry! But I’ve grown up since, and my tastes have matured (somewhat). However, there is one thing about the A-Team which I think is still relevant today: the actual A-Team and the well-balanced blend of skills of its members. No matter what an episode’s villain (drug king-pin/shady land developer/corrupt senator/whatever) threw at them, the combined qualities of the A-Team always ensured that they came out on top. In today’s post, I am going to take a closer look at the skills and qualities of the A-Team,…
BI Expert with 501-1,000 employees
Real-time Data Collaboration
Yesterday, I had a very nice meeting with the folks at Qlikview (thanks, @DHurd11 & Andy for making the trip). They partnered with a local DC consulting firm by the name of Tandem Conglomerate. I had the pleasure of working with Ben Nah from Tandem Conglomerate last year – and I can vouch that their talent is top-notch. Qlikview is smart to find partners of this caliber – and utilize them to better serve their customers. As a technologist, I always have my eyes open to exploring new technology. This is always challenging with long term contracts, university politics, and an ever-changing IT landscape. However, for me, vendors have to prove why they should remain at the top. Competition is healthy for everyone as it makes us constantly improve. I should also say that as long as we…
Industry Analyst with 51-200 employees
The future of BI in two words
Disclosure: I am an industry analyst focused on self-service business intelligence and data analysts. QlikView and Tableau user. Current clients include QlikView, Spotfire, and Tableau. What’s the future of BI? Last fall, one sharp source of mine answered, “Two words: Tableau and QlikView. You didn’t hear it here.” Those are startling words coming from that source, a well-regarded BI consultant known for big-name clients and their big deployments. At about the same time, a column of mine appeared in Information Management titled “Don’t call it BI” — in which I mentioned Tableau and a few smaller tools. A reader emailed, “You should also become familiar with QlikView.” My many Tableau-using friends say QlikView is hardly worth a look. Poor visualization! Control panels!…
VP of IT at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Our support has been excellent, but is provided by a 3rd party consultant group

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. I might consider waiting for latest release version to come out before comparing other products. There may be some excellent additions to functionality. Plan out your environment, plan out the data modeling process. Spend time on governance of the processes that support the user self service capabilities. Although end users can use the product easily, they may need help with data procurement. Think about security of your data before turning everyone loose.
Consultant at a wholesaler/distributor with 51-200 employees
Once you see what it can do, you will want it
Pros: Speed Flexibility User Friendly Associated Search In Memory Cons: Reporting is quite difficult to get right, but if you spend you will get it right
Consultant at a wholesaler/distributor with 51-200 employees
I left my Job of 15 years to...
I left my Job of 15 years to work with Qlikview full time, that alone will tell you what I think of it, a full review to follow
Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
QlikView vs Tableau
As promised in my last “first look” review, I’m taking Qlikview 10 for a spin. For those of you not familiar with Qlikview it’s a data visualization tool that’s designed to make the creation of ad-hoc reports and dashboards, from existing data, quick and simple. Installation Getting hold of Qlikview is a matter of registering on their web site and downloading the “personal” edition. The personal edition has the limitation of not being able to share your Qlikview files with any other users, but doesn’t appear to have any other time or functionality restrictions. You will probably want to download the tutorial. This is made up of some sample files and a PDF tutorial. Whilst a PDF feels a bit “old school” however it is clearly written and progressive, making it pretty easy to follow…
VP of IT at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Flexible, quick access, but need to spend time designing the Data Warehouse.

Valuable Features:

Flexible, quick access by end users, can promote user self service reporting

Room for Improvement:

Still need to spend time designing the Data Warehouse behind this tool to facilitate user self service model.
Project Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
QlikView is a highly effective management tool, allowing a broad area of analysis.