Qualys VM Overview

Qualys VM is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Vulnerability Management tools. It is most often compared to Tenable Nessus: Qualys VM vs Tenable Nessus

What is Qualys VM?

Qualys Vulnerability Management (VM) is a cloud-based service that gives you immediate, global visibility into where your IT systems might be vulnerable to the latest Internet threats and how to protect them. It helps you to continuously identify threats and monitor unexpected changes in your network before they turn into breaches.

Qualys VM is also known as QualysGuard VM.

Download the Vulnerability Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Qualys VM Customers

Agrokor Group, American Specialty Health, American State Bank, Arval, Life:), Axway, Bank of the West, Blueport Commerce, BSkyB, Brinks, CaixaBank, Cartagena, Catholic Health System, CEC Bank, Cegedim, CIGNA, Clickability, Colby-Sawyer College, Commercial Bank of Dubai, University of Utah, eBay Inc., ING Singapore, National Theatre, OTP Bank, Sodexo, WebEx

Qualys VM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Qualys VM pricing:
  • "Qualys is cheaper and more affordable than other solutions."
  • "It is different for every company, but for us, it's every three years."
  • "They have recently changed the pricing model, which is now better than it was before."
  • "The pricing and licensing for Qualys could be improved."

KD
AVP - Information Security at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use and scalable but needs to be priced more competitively

What is our primary use case?

We're primarily using the solution for vulnerability assessment of internal server as well as the external server.

• "It is very easy to use and there are lots of options. We can usually easily go through it and all of the things we want to configure, and we can configure everything to our specifications very easily."
  • "Sometimes we face a problem with accessing the tool and not getting an expected result. From a technology point of view, they need to look into this."

What other advice do I have?

We are a Qualys customer. We aren't a reseller or partner. Overall I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. We are currently looking at other options, to see if there's a better solution out there. This one has pretty good technical support and is easy to use, however, there are other issues associated with it.
Dr. SureshHungenahally
Chief Executive Officer at Suraksha Pty Ltd
An excellent solution for vulnerability management that's highly scalable and very stable

What is our primary use case?

The primary use for the solution is vulnerability management.

• "Technical support is fantastic."
  • "It's quite complex on the way it is set up, so it takes a fair bit of time in order to get your head around it in order to deploy it. Once you've deployed it, then you're never confident on the versions of the browsers and the SSL certificates, etc. You have to always go back into Qualys and check."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to always have a proof of concept version of the solution put into play. Then spend a good two months on it. Stabilize the solution and check out the features and then deploy it into production. Otherwise, you will spend money during the real project for what could have been done as a POC. Deploy the core solution, get the scanning done and all the critical components put it in a proof of concept and then move it into production. I would rate the solution eight out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Qualys, Rapid7, Tenable Network Security and others in Vulnerability Management. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.
HH
Network and security Pre-sales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
A reliable, affordable, safe, scalable, and easy-to-use solution for vulnerability management and policy compliance

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator. We implement Qualys for our customers for vulnerability management and policy compliance. We are not using Qualys as a product in our company. We have public, private, and hybrid cloud as well as on-premises deployments.

• "There are many features. Its reliability, ease of installation, ease of use, and the richness of the information provided are the most valuable features."
  • "Its integration with ServiceNow and other similar products is complicated and can be improved. It should also have virtual batching. They should support more standards and compliance requirements and more customizations. For policy compliance, they can add the standards required by the countries in the Middle East. Each country generates its own standards and frameworks, and those frameworks should be there in all products, not only in Qualys. The market here is huge, especially in the cybersecurity field. Qatar has a framework for Qatar 2022, and each and every company in the public or private sector has to follow the Qatar 2022 framework."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Qualys because it is a reliable, affordable, and very safe product. It can have everything that you are looking for. I would rate Qualys VM an eight out of ten.
Anusha Patnaik
IRM Technical Consultant at Shell Exploration & Production Co.
Vulnerability scanner with good dashboard presentation and clear reporting

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases of this solution are as a scanner. We use it with Azure and AWS. For on-premises, we use physical scanners all over the globe. We have deployed our external scanners in approximately 70 regions.

• "What I like about Qualys VM is the dashboard presentation. It's very good."
  • "The customer support is very bad."

What other advice do I have?

If you are comparing Nexpose and Qualys, I would prefer Qualys. The UI is good and whatever reports you are getting, are very clear. If you present it to management, the reports are good. They require an executive report that highlights the vulnerability and how many servers are affected. You can customize it also. Nexpose is coming out with new features, but Qualys has already implemented them. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
MM
Chief Information Officer/Senior Vice President at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Helps prioritize which security patches need to be deployed on specific equipment

What is our primary use case?

It's used for vulnerability assessments, assessment of IT equipment, PCs, servers. It's supposed to help prioritize which security patches need to be deployed on that equipment.

• "The prioritization feature is great. I think it has all of the advanced features that we need."
  • "It's too early for me to say if there is any room for improvement since we're in the first couple of months of using this solution."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. For us, it's just more of gathering more experience. The more we learn, I think we'll appreciate it, and then maybe from that point, we'll be able to say it's a nine, or a ten. It's more on us versus the solution.
BM
Sr. Manager, Vulnerability Management at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly, supports multiple platforms, and the VM DR capabilities are helpful

What is our primary use case?

We are using Qualys VM, as our scanner tool. We also use it for Application Security and Policy Compliance. We use it for the identification of vulnerabilities for all of our devices on the network. This includes Windows workstations, servers, and Linux machines. We also use it for cloud, and external use as well.

• "The features that are most valuable are the identification, scan features, and the identification of vulnerabilities."
  • "I would like to see more accuracy in detections, better reporting capabilities, and better dashboard download capabilities."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to others who are interested in using it. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
PW
Global Infrastructure Architect at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good technical support that is always there when you need them, but the prioritization of vulnerabilities needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using Qualys for vulnerability detection, as part of our security solution. We're moving towards Defender ATP because I am looking more at the Operational Technology (OT) side of things than I am at the Information Technology (IT) side.

• "Technical support is great and we've never really had a problem."
  • "We are moving away from Qualys to Defender ATP because I find that Defender ATP is much better at prioritizing the vulnerabilities that I should be looking at."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Omar ORta
Director Transformación Digital at oesia
A feature-rich, complete product, and the multilingual technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for vulnerability management.

• "I like Qualys because it is a very complete product, more so than Tenable."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and I recommend it, mainly because of the capabilities and the management using a single console. I can even create a calendar for activities from the main screen. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
    See 5 more Qualys VM Reviews
    Product Categories
    Vulnerability Management
    Download our free Vulnerability Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Qualys, Rapid7, Tenable Network Security, and more!