QueryIO OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is QueryIO?
QueryIO is a Hadoop-based SQL and Big Data Analytics solution, used to store, structure, analyze and visualize vast amounts of structured and unstructured Big Data. It is especially well suited to enable users to process unstructured Big Data, give it a structure and support querying and analysis of this Big Data using standard SQL syntax. QueryIO enables you to leverage the vast and mature infrastructure built around SQL and relational databases and utilize it for your Big Data Analytics needs.

Download the Hadoop Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

QueryIO Reviews

MR
Manager of Process & Systems / Solutions Architect / BI Developer at HENKEL FRANCE
Stable with good connectivity and good integration capabilities

• "Anyone who has even a little bit of knowledge of the solution can begin to create things. You don't have to be technical to use the solution."
  • "There needs to be some simplification of the user interface."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data cleansing, data mining and report architecture.

What is most valuable?

I like the connectivity of the solution. We are able to put in large sets of data and are able to share that with a small query. We can then offer others access.

The solution allows you to create your own cube, particularly in a shared environment, and that is very useful and extremely powerful.

The ability to then link to a Power BI or Power Query where you have nice visualization tools is quite useful. The solution works seamlessly with them as a package. It's fantastic.

What needs improvement?

Data cleansing is not intuitive and user-friendly. When things have errors, you have to hunt them down as opposed to the solution simply showing you intuitively where to find it. I would recommend that they look at that Tableau Prep tool and see how it is pieced together. That's a great data cleansing tool. If Microsoft has something like that, then we wouldn't even have to look at some of the other options.

There needs to be some simplification of the user interface. Right now it's too complicated.

There isn't a way to put controls on the solution, so anyone can use any part of it, and sometimes novices will go and try to create things, but not know enough about what is official and what is published. It would be ideal if we could segment off certain sections so that not everyone had access to the whole solution.

I'd like to see something more of a mapping tool so that you could see how the reports are connected, similar to Tableau Prep and Naim. That would make for a pretty useful diagnostics check. People would be better able to understand the linkage between your datasets.

It would be nice if the solution offered some templates. It would make it even more plug and play, and give people a good jumping-off point. After that, they could explore other bells and whistles as they get further into understanding the solution.

The solution should work in some virtualization. It would be a good added feature.

If this product had those things then I wouldn't need to use other products.

I've been using the solution for about a year.

Microsoft is pretty good and it's well embedded. The only thing is that causes issues is when they come out with enhancements. They like to teach you after the fact where they put the buttons. Other than that, it's pretty stable. They've got their bugs out before they release and then continue to improve on it. It's relatively painless.

The solution is extremely scalable. My organization is moving away from the other solutions because of the cost and the complexity to implement and train, and then have a knowledgeable workforce. They find that this with Power BI is one where it's a smaller learning curve and has a better price point, and, of course, you can scale it. You can give it to as many users as you like without having to burn your wallet and without having to retrain an entire staff of analysts or admin types.

We have about 2,500 people in the US using the solution, and maybe 50,000 globally.

We'll be making this an official platform and increasing usage in the future.

Technical support is not that great. It's more like a study session than support. Hopefully, they can work on making it better in the future

We had a combination of Tableau with Naim as the back-end to clean the data and then we also used Cloudera to transact between systems. This setup required a lot of human resources and knowhow and even with all that, it was mostly functional, but when it wasn't, then that was a big deal. We've since moved to this solution which I believe is a simpler platform. However, streamlining can be a double-edged sword. If it's managed well I believe using this solution will be an improvement to the overall efficiencies.

The initial setup is totally straightforward. It's already built into your normal Office Suite. All you have to do is know where to find it and then, obviously, you have to know how to use it.

However, as far as installation goes, the ease of getting into it is great. It's so readily available and there's information online to educate yourself on the product. It's a great product in that sense. It's an open toolbox for anyone who has the willingness to understand the functionality.

I'm not familiar with the cost of licensing, but I know that their basic model is probably free, and it covers 90% of any novice's needs. The license packages have, from my experience, just a few more bells and whistles, particularly when it comes to publications. The pricing is very fair and super cheap.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the standard 34-bit version of the solution that comes with most standard Office and Excel packages.

The solution offers the bare basics but it's everything that you would need to know with regard to data analytics and key reporting techniques. If you can manage Power BI, and other tools, you'll have more enhanced capabilities, but the same logic applies. It's a great tool for newer users who are trying to get involved with data analysis.

I stayed away from it originally because it looked very complicated and I had a bad experience with Access, and I thought it was just Microsoft trying to push Access with a different face. However, they really did come through and rethought everything and once you get into exploring the solution, you realize that they have really simplified it so that it's easy to get into.

I'd give the solution a solid eight out of ten. It's easy to use, and it offers good pricing and very good flexibility. It's just falling out on some of the extra fancy things that the other more expensive solutions have. However, once you get into paid versions, there may be more features.

Hybrid Cloud
Product Categories
Hadoop
Download our free Hadoop Report and find out what your peers are saying about QueryIO, Apache, IBM, and more!