Quest Foglight for APM [EOL] Overview

What is Quest Foglight for APM [EOL]?
Manage your application infrastructure by monitoring the IT components that affect application performance.

Quest Foglight for APM [EOL] is also known as Foglight, Dell Foglight.

Download the Application Performance Management (APM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Quest Foglight for APM [EOL] Customers
Anji Automotive Logistics, Unimat, Priceline.com

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
Drill-down monitoring shows us the entire transaction chain, from the front end to back end. It needs HTML5 interface.

• "The most valuable feature is drill-down monitoring, which shows us from one interface the transaction chain from the front end to back end."
  • "I want to see a new interface that contains HTML5 features. The current version of Foglight (on-premise edition) is so fusty in comparison with leaders of Gartner APM Quadrant - i.e. Appdynamics, NewRelic, Dynatrace."

What other advice do I have?

You can choose this product if you want to connect Java (or .NET) to database monitoring, because you can see the application’s different activities on the same screen. This is our solution, which works as a framework in the Foglight interface, and changes the color of the geo-tags depending on the object status.
Pre-Sales DBA SQL Server Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
It provides a history of the activities on our SQL servers.

• "It provides a history of the activities on our SQL servers."
  • "I would perhaps like to see more SSMS connections."

What other advice do I have?

A DBA is needed to use Foglight correctly.
Find out what your peers are saying about Quest Software, AppDynamics, Dynatrace and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Foglight Specialist with 1,001-5,000 employees
We are able to view infrastructure through a single pane of glass. We stopped using technical support because of how slow SR's are resolved.

• "Infrastructure Monitoring and End User Monitoring are the product’s most valuable features to me."
  • "We are running a Webmethods stack (Software AG) and Foglight is unable to instrument. We are in a POC with Dynatrace and it was able to instrument with little effort."

What other advice do I have?

Foglight is an awesome tool and it is able to instrument and integrate easily with any monitoring tool. However, you have to have a good knowledge of software development, as well as a proper understanding of architecture and infrastructure.
Database Administrator at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
It replaces a lot of manual tasks and makes it easier for us to be more proactive and to prioritise issues across multiple systems.

• "Having standard monitoring features and a central repository saves us a lot of time and reduces risk of incidents."
  • "Being able to incorporate other bespoke monitoring into Foglight would have made the tool even more useful."

What other advice do I have?

In its basic configuration Foglight is relatively easy to install and use and will make supporting a large number of servers/databases much less time consuming. It can be further customised to your own needs.
Expert Cloud Architect at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
With virtual network switch support, administrators get full visibility into bottlenecks.​​

• "Dell Foglight does analyze and optimize your virtual infrastructure. It definitely reduces operational cost."
  • "I think installation and setup needs little more improvement especially when you are installing with external database."

What other advice do I have?

Overall I loved the product. Easy to navigate and gives very detailed information on every piece that you are looking for.
Senior Technical Consultant at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have had no stability issues.

• "I want to see mobile access application in the next release."

What other advice do I have?

Get more requirement from your customer if they have a performance issue with a critical database. You should read carefully the release notes and prerequisites before implementation. Ask your customer for hardware sizing and credentials. For Foglight performance analysis, you need to create a new database schema on your monitored host and you need at least 1GB space on a monitored host for storing data and logs.
    IT Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    We can playback the session when we need to with FxV.

Improvements to My Organization

If there is a customer complaining we can playback and prove what really happened.

Valuable Features

FxV is valuable as we can playback the session.

Room for Improvement

They need to improve the stability of FxM and FxV.

In my experience sometimes the state of FxM/FxV hangs, then I have to manually reboot the appliance.

There have been no issues scaling it for our needs.

I've never had to open a case with support.

It was straightforward to set-up.

Implementation Team

We used a vendor team to implement it.
    Systems Engineer & Owner at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    ​We keep an eye on high latency, so we can handle bottlenecks before they become a bigger problem.​

• "At a glance I can easily see what is going on with all of my VMware ​environments, including top consumers of resources."
    • "The “cartridge” concept for every little thing is a bit of a bother to implement."
    Sr. Virtualization Architect / Engineer. at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    Customizable alerts, dashboards and reports are the most valuable features for us.

• "Intuitive, Single-pane-of-glass dashboards for real-time statistics and long-term statistics for capacity management and in-depth analytics"
    • "It needs a more intuitive way to create and implement custom "Cartridges" to be deployed through out a Federated environment."

What other advice do I have?

This is the new release, and it has some new modules that can be better integrated. I joined the Dell and Quest Forums and User Groups to get feedback from the user and support communities.
    Systems Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    This has helped us many times with issues such as promo codes not working and customers unable to get to a particular page to end the checkout process. You only get a plot for five minute average.

• "With the APM you can replay the end user session and see issues quickly by viewing the session."
    • "My only complaint from Foglight for monitoring is that you only get a plot for five minute average for metrics like CPU and Memory, on the application side I can see metrics more quickly at 15 seconds for metrics like active sessions, heap. I would like to see the same for CPU and memory."

What other advice do I have?

Open tickets with support and discuss the pieces of what you are implementing it with support.
    Network & System Aministrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We can watch the performance instantly and continuously.​

Improvements to My Organization

It has minimized induced downtime. We can watch the performance instantly and continuously.

Valuable Features

Formed on our system and we're watching events that may occur. We find the source of the problem easily. Sometimes we can solve problems before they occur.

Room for Improvement

There are no new changes in our expectations, because we use for many years.

We have had no issues with the stability.

We had no issues scaling it for our needs.

We are going to contact the vendor (Dataserv) if a problem occurs. So far they have found the solution to all our problems.

The installation is simple, but it takes time to adapt them to the structure. …
    IT Support Specialist at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    ​It provided an extra layer of monitoring. ​The version compatibility needs work.

How has it helped my organization?

It provided an extra layer of monitoring specifically focused on database infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

Real time database monitoring and alerting are valuable.

What needs improvement?

The version compatibility needs work.

Stability was always an issue in large environments.

Often times management servers would become overwhelmed.

I never had to deal with support channels.

We didn't have anything in place previously.

I was not involved in this process.

What's my experience

Senior Systems Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
    We also gain some insight into our business partners performance and can often point out to them when they're having issues.

• "The ability to track performance of an application or application suite over time is extremely valuable to our business partners and for our application development team with near real time results."
    • "There are some metrics I'd like to track that are difficult to find or implement into a tracking solution without a lot of manual work."

What other advice do I have?

Ensure that you set aside money to get training from Dell. The system is complex and has quirks that aren't readily apparent without knowledge.
    IT Consultant - Infrastructure Services at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It helped with pinpointing issues with database performance and thus improved our reaction speed.

What other advice do I have?

While I did not implement Foglight, I would always advice everyone to just compare all options and pick the one that suits their organization best. Some companies like to analyze any and all alerts to the very core by using a varied amount of tools while others require way simpler monitoring.
    Problem Analyst with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    I found the algorithms to forecast growth and concerns particularly intuitive.

• "Capacity on database and file servers. I found the algorithms to forecast growth and concerns particularly intuitive."
    • "SQL agents often failed but again this may have been addressed in future versions."
    PeopleSoft Administrator at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We evaluated other options including BMC, but chose Foglight for it's notifications & the ability to review the history.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend having an expert do the initial installation and then do a thorough knowledge transfer (shadowing them is also a good idea).
    Vice President - DB Analyst/Admin at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Realtime email and pager alerts and history reports provide valuable information for DBAs to resolve the issues.

What other advice do I have?

Foglight has been our go to monitoring tool for several years in the DB2 and Oracle space. Real time monitoring alerts and history reports provide useful information for DBAs to respond and resolve issues in a timely manner. I recommend the use of this product for anyone looking to monitor & stabilize their environment.
    Database Administrator at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    Improved the way we respond to database issues as it has made us more proactive.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I will give to people regarding Foglight is that the technical team who will be using this product will have to be trained well in order for the company to fully benefit from the product.
    Application Support Analyst with 501-1,000 employees
    Valuable features include the Transaction Recorder, Transaction Response Time and Management Server

Valuable Features

2 years Foglight Transaction Recorder Transaction Response Time Foglight Management Server

Improvements to My Organization

We are able to capture the real time user experience of our solutions and we have an understanding of overall performance.

Use of Solution

2 years

We didn't have any issues with deployment.

We had stability issues for FTR. The player used to get hung while running the robot scripts.

We didn't have any issues with scalability.

Customer Service: GoodTechnical Support: Very Good

Implementation Team

I think we implemented using a vendor team.
    Software Engineer III at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    I've used Nagios, HP SiteScope, CA APM and others but Foglight could do most of what CA could do plus much more.

What other advice do I have?

If you are just starting out, get a Foglight management server and install the agents. After seeing what that alone can do for you, then branch out to the other products especially FxM and FxV.
    Infrastructure Expert at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
    Cost effective APM, but complicated and confusing.

Valuable Features:

A lot of features for the price: Java/.Net instrumentation, End User replay (similar to TeaLeaf). Huge library of monitoring cartridges

Room for Improvement:

Complicated setup/maintenance. Different components don't integrate well together: FMS, FxM and FxV. Confusing product. You'll need lots of training and implementation consulting.
    HR Staff at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Excellent monitoring capability and business service views...

Valuable Features:

Excellent monitoring capability and business service views

Room for Improvement:

South African skill is scarce