Quest Foglight for APM [EOL] OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Quest Foglight for APM [EOL]?
Manage your application infrastructure by monitoring the IT components that affect application performance.

Quest Foglight for APM [EOL] is also known as Foglight, Dell Foglight.

Download the Application Performance Management (APM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Quest Foglight for APM [EOL] Customers
Anji Automotive Logistics, Unimat, Priceline.com

Archived Quest Foglight for APM [EOL] Reviews (more than two years old)

Anton Kasimov
Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
Drill-down monitoring shows us the entire transaction chain, from the front end to back end. It needs HTML5 interface.

• "The most valuable feature is drill-down monitoring, which shows us from one interface the transaction chain from the front end to back end."
  • "I want to see a new interface that contains HTML5 features. The current version of Foglight (on-premise edition) is so fusty in comparison with leaders of Gartner APM Quadrant - i.e. Appdynamics, NewRelic, Dynatrace."

How has it helped my organization?

This product has helped our customers discover Java performance issues in their WebLogic applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is drill-down monitoring, which shows us from one interface the transaction chain from the front end to back end. Another interesting thing is that this product can work with many databases including freeware (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, MS SQL). So, it can seriously reduce TCO.

What needs improvement?

I want to see a new interface that contains HTML5 features. The current version of Foglight (on-premise edition) is so fusty in comparison with leaders of Gartner APM Quadrant - i.e. Appdynamics, NewRelic, Dynatrace. If you try to compare SaaS and on-premise Foglight versions you can see differences in UI-design. It's my subjective experiences, but SaaS version looks more modern. Hope this helps

I have not encountered any deployment, stability or scalability issues. This is a stable solution.

I rate the level of customer service and technical support 9/10, because 10 is an unattainable ideal. These guys are working fine and really want to help.

Initial setup is really easy. You can install this product by clicking "next-next-next", and it will work fine.

I suggest implementing this solution with the vendor or a system integrator. Otherwise, it could take a long time to find all of its interesting features and possibilities.

This is a difficult question. Many vendors have tried to calculate this measurement, but it's very, very subjective, and their attempts were not successful (IMHO).

I'm a system architect and I receive requests from potential customers. I also have experience with BMC, AppDynamics and New Relic.

What other advice do I have?

You can choose this product if you want to connect Java (or .NET) to database monitoring, because you can see the application’s different activities on the same screen.

This is our solution, which works as a framework in the Foglight interface, and changes the color of the geo-tags depending on the object status.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a Dell Software preferred partner and I have a Foglight Implementation Consultant certificate.
it_user494202
Pre-Sales DBA SQL Server Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
It provides a history of the activities on our SQL servers.

• "It provides a history of the activities on our SQL servers."
  • "I would perhaps like to see more SSMS connections."

How has it helped my organization?

I’m a DBA for a big e-commerce site. Foglight quickly helped us reduce the amount of money lost.

Its module history query increased DBA efficiency. 90% of the time, we couldn’t catch problems in real time. This module helped us with that.

One night at 01:00, we had several customers’ purchase attempts time out, and result in a half-hour outage. Foglight stored the bad queries and we quickly identified the bad code that locked the main database. We corrected it with the developer team.

What is most valuable?

It provides a history of the activities on our SQL servers.

What needs improvement?

I would perhaps like to see more SSMS connections.

I did not previously use a different solution.

Initial setup was straightforward.

The stability we have as a result of using it made up for the cost of the product within a month.

What other advice do I have?

A DBA is needed to use Foglight correctly.

Find out what your peers are saying about Quest Software, AppDynamics, Dynatrace and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: October 2021.
543,936 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user387300
Foglight Specialist with 1,001-5,000 employees
We are able to view infrastructure through a single pane of glass. We stopped using technical support because of how slow SR's are resolved.

• "Infrastructure Monitoring and End User Monitoring are the product’s most valuable features to me."
  • "We are running a Webmethods stack (Software AG) and Foglight is unable to instrument. We are in a POC with Dynatrace and it was able to instrument with little effort."

Improvements to My Organization

We are able to view infrastructure through a single pane of glass and are able to build services and SLA.

Valuable Features

Room for Improvement

Application Monitoring. We are running a Webmethods stack (Software AG) and Foglight is unable to instrument. We are in a POC with Dynatrace and it was able to instrument with little effort.

To be honest, we have stopped using customer support and technical support because of the slow pace in which our SR's are resolved. We often fix the issues before Dell support is able to.

I did not form part of the initial setup but have subsequently been involved in the deploy of a new setup. I found that it is a bit complex if you have no background in ESM.

Implementation Team

We implemented our initial implementation with the vendor and we have subsequently deployed the latest version in house and we were able to implement seamlessly.

ROI

We have not realized a good ROI on the product due to the fact that we were not able to monitor our core application which runs on Webmethods . We are also unable to monitor AS400 DB2 database transactions, which results in a broken telephone effect.

Other Advice

Foglight is an awesome tool and it is able to instrument and integrate easily with any monitoring tool. However, you have to have a good knowledge of software development, as well as a proper understanding of architecture and infrastructure.

Database Administrator at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
It replaces a lot of manual tasks and makes it easier for us to be more proactive and to prioritise issues across multiple systems.

• "Having standard monitoring features and a central repository saves us a lot of time and reduces risk of incidents."
  • "Being able to incorporate other bespoke monitoring into Foglight would have made the tool even more useful."

How has it helped my organization?

Initially, it meant we no longer needed to spend time manually checking our existing databases/servers which freed us up for other tasks. It also captures information that we wouldn't otherwise have.

What is most valuable?

Having standard monitoring features and a central repository saves us a lot of time and reduces risk of incidents. It replaces a lot of manual tasks and makes it easier for us to be more pro-active and to prioritise issues across multiple systems. It also keeps a history which we use for post incident reviews and performance monitoring.

What needs improvement?

In an older version of Foglight, we were not able to get any of our custom agents to work properly so that feature was not as much use as we had initially hoped and haven't tried using since. Being able to incorporate other bespoke monitoring into Foglight would have made the tool even more useful.

I had some issues with the Agents in earlier versions consuming CPU and needing the occasional restart, but we've not had any issues with later versions. The system has been stable now for quite some time.

As our estate grows we can easily incorporate more servers into our existing set up.

I've always had good experience with Dell Support, who we use for other products as well. All of my queries have been answered in the past.

We chose this product over creating our own in-house monitoring procedures. It was recommended to us by several colleagues.

Creating the repository and the management server were quite simple and problem free. Getting the monitoring agents to communicate back to the management server was a bit more tricky but this was mostly down to getting the network set up correctly so not really a direct issue with Foglight itself.

At the time Foglight was still supported by Quest and they sent two representatives to spend a day at our offices to give us a presentation and then aid us through setting up Foglight on our test systems. We then had sufficient knowledge to proceed by ourselves setting up the production equivalent.

What other advice do I have?

In its basic configuration Foglight is relatively easy to install and use and will make supporting a large number of servers/databases much less time consuming. It can be further customised to your own needs.

it_user430641
Expert Cloud Architect at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
With virtual network switch support, administrators get full visibility into bottlenecks.​​

• "Dell Foglight does analyze and optimize your virtual infrastructure. It definitely reduces operational cost."
  • "I think installation and setup needs little more improvement especially when you are installing with external database."

Improvements to My Organization

Over all in my organization, this product helped us to maintain health, risk and efficiency of the virtual infrastructure. With virtual network switch support, administrators get full visibility into bottlenecks.

Room for Improvement

We've had no issues with stability.

We've had no issues with scalability.

Other Advice

Overall I loved the product. Easy to navigate and gives very detailed information on every piece that you are looking for.

it_user430590
Senior Technical Consultant at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have had no stability issues.

• "I want to see mobile access application in the next release."

Improvements to My Organization

My customer had a database that was working slowly every time. Their IT department  tried to resolve it by adding more hardware, but the issue wasn't resolved. They then used Foglight to perform performance analysis on SQL to find the root cause. Foglight reported and advised on the improvements to improve SQL and to change the database configuration for their database workload. It was easy and saved costs.

Valuable Features

Workload analysis (database workload in active time) they should more information data and analyze wait state analysis is valuable data to predictions or clarify issue.

Room for Improvement

I want to see mobile access application in the next release.

We have had no stability issues.

There have been no issues with scaling it for our needs.

Other Advice

Get more requirement from your customer if they have a performance issue with a critical database. You should read carefully the release notes and prerequisites before implementation. Ask your customer for hardware sizing and credentials. For Foglight performance analysis, you need to create a new database schema on your monitored host and you need at least 1GB space on a monitored host for storing data and logs.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I work for a Dell partner
    it_user422040
    IT Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    We can playback the session when we need to with FxV.

Improvements to My Organization

If there is a customer complaining we can playback and prove what really happened.

Valuable Features

FxV is valuable as we can playback the session.

Room for Improvement

They need to improve the stability of FxM and FxV.

In my experience sometimes the state of FxM/FxV hangs, then I have to manually reboot the appliance.

There have been no issues scaling it for our needs.

I've never had to open a case with support.

It was straightforward to set-up.

Implementation Team

We used a vendor team to implement it.

Improvements to My Organization

Valuable Features

FxV is valuable as we can playback the session.

Room for Improvement

They need to improve the stability of FxM and FxV.

There have been no issues scaling it for our needs.

I've never had to open a case with support.

It was straightforward to set-up.

Implementation Team

We used a vendor team to implement it.

it_user421626
    Systems Engineer & Owner at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    ​We keep an eye on high latency, so we can handle bottlenecks before they become a bigger problem.​

• "At a glance I can easily see what is going on with all of my VMware ​environments, including top consumers of resources."
    • "The “cartridge” concept for every little thing is a bit of a bother to implement."

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

VMware environment. Because of the overall view of the VMware environment. As well as the alerting. At a glance I can easily see what is going on with all of my VMware environments, including top consumers of resources.

What needs improvement?

Since our purchase, the product has split in many ways. It needs to have more simplified – buy one buy all licensing. The “cartridge” concept for every little thing is a bit of a bother to implement.

We've had no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues scaling it for our needs.

Technical Support has been excellent. Since we originally purchased, Dell purchased Quest – and the support is excellent.

Dell OpenManage and HP InsightManager provide different kinds of hardware level information, and we did not find suitable for our VM guest monitoring.

The only issue I have had is with the “cartridge” concept, and the different updates to that. I am looking forward to trying the newer version sometime. Right now, this version just works well the way it is for what I want it for.

We implemented it ourselves.

Since the product split – the licensing is a bit more complex.

it_user421620
    Sr. Virtualization Architect / Engineer. at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    Customizable alerts, dashboards and reports are the most valuable features for us.

• "Intuitive, Single-pane-of-glass dashboards for real-time statistics and long-term statistics for capacity management and in-depth analytics"
    • "It needs a more intuitive way to create and implement custom "Cartridges" to be deployed through out a Federated environment."

Improvements to My Organization

Our project consisted in a company wide upgrade to Vsphere 6. Part of the deployment project was to evaluate, external tools, to manage and report on the new Vsphere 6 implementation. Dell Foglight was selected because it's ease of deployment, ase to train the IT team on the new product, created several custom Dashboards, Alarms and Reports to be accessed by different groups within the organization (e.g. Compute, Storage, Networking and Operations).

Valuable Features

• Easy to install and deploy (including Federated Environments)
    • End-to-End visibility and management for all the components/objects of a virtualized environment (VCs, Hosts, VMs, vstorage, vnetworking etc.) and Citrix (XenDesktop and XenApp), and VDI
    • Intuitive, Single-pane-of-glass dashboards for real-time statistics and long-term statistics for capacity management and in-depth analytics
    • Fully scalable architecture for federated environments
    • Fully customizable alerts, dashboards and reports

We have had no issues with the stability.

We have had no issues with scaling it for our needs.

Excellent. Dell and Quest have a great and very knowleagable support team

One of the main factors in our decision to select and implement Foghlight was the ease of installation and deployment. The product comes as an OVA Appliance and takes less than an hour to install. Once the product is install the configuration is very straightforward. After assigning and connecting to the Virtual Centers the object discovery begins and most of the Standard Dashboards will be populated. After the standard Dashboards, Analysis and Reports are available the user can create and deploy custom "Cartridges" to create custom Collections, perform Custom Analysis, and generate custom Alarms and Reports.

The product comes as an OVA Appliance and takes less than an hour to install. Once the product is installed, the configuration is very straightforward. After assigning and connecting to the Virtual Centers the object discovery begins and most of the Standard Dashboards will be populated

Implementation Team

I was a contrcator dedicated to the Virtualization Tools team. We implemented and configured the product in-house with help from Dell support.

Other Solutions Considered

We evaluated several other solutions from (Solar Winds, Nagios, Veeam, VMTurbo, HP...etc). Foglight Enterprise was the most scalable and easy to deploy tool.

Other Advice

This is the new release, and it has some new modules that can be better integrated. I joined the Dell and Quest Forums and User Groups to get feedback from the user and support communities.

it_user421539
    Systems Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    This has helped us many times with issues such as promo codes not working and customers unable to get to a particular page to end the checkout process. You only get a plot for five minute average.

• "With the APM you can replay the end user session and see issues quickly by viewing the session."
    • "My only complaint from Foglight for monitoring is that you only get a plot for five minute average for metrics like CPU and Memory, on the application side I can see metrics more quickly at 15 seconds for metrics like active sessions, heap. I would like to see the same for CPU and memory."

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to monitor all of our applications and with the APM and tie them into a service and our operations team and quickly view all services and pinpoint where the issue would be if its at the application layer or database layer.

What is most valuable?

The Application Performance Monitor is one of the most valuable tools you can have in your bag for monitoring. With the APM you can replay the end user session and see issues quickly by viewing the session. This has helped us many times with issues such as promo codes not working and customers unable to get to a particular page to end the checkout process.

There have been no issues scaling it for our needs.

Foglight Support is great most of the time, support and help with what ever level your issue is.

We chose this product because it could do all the monitoring we where looking for , CPU, MEMORY, SQL, AD, and EXC. The biggest reason we chose this was the end user monitoring

It's straightforward after you understand the terminology in Foglight.

We implemented in house but ran into many issues with all of the pieces of Foglight had to purchase Professional Services.

Our ROI has been great it has saved us many times to resolve issues before customers started complaining.

Foglight can be expensive I would go with the pricing at a three year deal.

What other advice do I have?

Open tickets with support and discuss the pieces of what you are implementing it with support.

it_user414102
    Network & System Aministrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We can watch the performance instantly and continuously.​

Improvements to My Organization

It has minimized induced downtime. We can watch the performance instantly and continuously.

Valuable Features

Formed on our system and we're watching events that may occur. We find the source of the problem easily. Sometimes we can solve problems before they occur.

Room for Improvement

There are no new changes in our expectations, because we use for many years.

We have had no issues with the stability.

We had no issues scaling it for our needs.

We are going to contact the vendor (Dataserv) if a problem occurs. So far they have found the solution to all our problems.

The installation is simple, but it takes time to adapt them to the structure. …

Valuable Features

Room for Improvement

There are no new changes in our expectations, because we use for many years.

We have had no issues with the stability.

We had no issues scaling it for our needs.

The installation is simple, but it takes time to adapt them to the structure.

Implementation Team

We work constantly with the vendor's engineer.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The price is expensive for us.

Other Solutions Considered

When we chose this product did not have too many alternatives.

Other Advice

I would recommend this product as it's been very successful for us.

it_user411168
    IT Support Specialist at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    ​It provided an extra layer of monitoring. ​The version compatibility needs work.

How has it helped my organization?

It provided an extra layer of monitoring specifically focused on database infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

Real time database monitoring and alerting are valuable.

What needs improvement?

The version compatibility needs work.

Stability was always an issue in large environments.

Often times management servers would become overwhelmed.

I never had to deal with support channels.

We didn't have anything in place previously.

I was not involved in this process.

What's my experience

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Real time database monitoring and alerting are valuable.

What needs improvement?

The version compatibility needs work.

Stability was always an issue in large environments.

Often times management servers would become overwhelmed.

I never had to deal with support channels.

We didn't have anything in place previously.

I was not involved in this process.

I recall it being a very expensive solution relative to function and stability.

What other advice do I have?

You need to scale it wisely.

it_user409929
    Senior Systems Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
    We also gain some insight into our business partners performance and can often point out to them when they're having issues.

• "The ability to track performance of an application or application suite over time is extremely valuable to our business partners and for our application development team with near real time results."
    • "There are some metrics I'd like to track that are difficult to find or implement into a tracking solution without a lot of manual work."

How has it helped my organization?

Given that we track performance we can often see issues happening before users are affected. We also gain some insight into our business partners performance and can often point out to them when they're having issues to help them get in front of issues.

What is most valuable?

The ability to track performance of an application or application suite over time is extremely valuable to our business partners and for our application development team with near real time results. Additionally the ability to track both real and synthetic user performance and compare real to synthetic user performance as a baseline is important to us on several fronts; real users make human decisions and we can see how their performance compares to "perfect" synthetic users running scripts to do similar tasks. And because our synthetic users run consistently 24/7 we also can compare peak traffic performance to off peak performance.

What needs improvement?

Overall the development of Foglight has been spot on for our use. There are some metrics I'd like to track that are difficult to find or implement into a tracking solution without a lot of manual work and there is some proprietary nomenclature that can be confusing but I don't expect either to be resolved.

We've had no issues with its stability.

The scalability is fine except for the cost.

Excellent, very responsive, very friendly, knowledgeable and quick to assign to the correct support people, I've never had any issue on any of the dozens (hundreds?) of tickets I've opened over the last four years.

We currently use multiple systems for monitoring including OEM, Splunk, Apex, Nagios, there are others. Foglight is the best overall solution we use, but it doesn't do everything we need or doesn't provide the best solution to everything we want to monitor.

It's very straightforward, and had good documents. We got great vendor support.

Combination, the vendor was over the shoulder as we implemented.

I don't know anything about this, but the business seems happy about it.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure that you set aside money to get training from Dell. The system is complex and has quirks that aren't readily apparent without knowledge.

it_user409644
    IT Consultant - Infrastructure Services at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It helped with pinpointing issues with database performance and thus improved our reaction speed.

Valuable Features

The extensive monitoring tools embedded in Foglight are a real asset. You can really drill deep into the how and why an alert was created.

Improvements to My Organization

As a systems operator, Foglight helped with pinpointing issues with database performance and thus improved our reaction speed. The information we received wasn't just general, it's really extensive.

Room for Improvement

I recall that the lay-out was rather dull when I used this particular version of Foglight. I'm not sure if this was a user settings or not but a fully grey-white theme with sparse highlights made it sometimes difficult to find my way around. I had some issues with finding acknowledged alerts. Although I think some settings could have been managed by better by the customer, but I read that this was alleviated in future versions.

Use of Solution

I've probably used Foglight for about two years. After that, the customer switched to another solution.

From the few talks that I had with the responsible software engineers at our customer I can safely say that deployment happened with relative ease.

As long as the software was in use we did not encounter any technical issues.

As long as the software was in use we did not encounter any technical issues.

I was not in contact with Dell for Foglight technical issues, this was handled by our customer.

Other Solutions Considered

Our customer migrated to SCOM for most of their monitoring.

Other Advice

While I did not implement Foglight, I would always advice everyone to just compare all options and pick the one that suits their organization best. Some companies like to analyze any and all alerts to the very core by using a varied amount of tools while others require way simpler monitoring.

it_user374136
    Problem Analyst with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    I found the algorithms to forecast growth and concerns particularly intuitive.

• "Capacity on database and file servers. I found the algorithms to forecast growth and concerns particularly intuitive."
    • "SQL agents often failed but again this may have been addressed in future versions."

Improvements to My Organization

Quicker turnaround on MTTR, a better understanding of real time impact. Proactive approach to capacity and growth within the company from the historical data gathered. Understanding and making SLA’s achievable and accurate to both the customer and business. Reporting improvements through the level of data available and the ability to automate.

Valuable Features

Capacity on database and file servers. I found the algorithms to forecast growth and concerns particularly intuitive. Real time mapping of services and the compliance of SLA’s, ultimately adding all the dependencies’ to key systems. This level of viewable monitoring had many benefits such as alerting, scalability, reporting and service dashboard we could promote.

Room for Improvement

There was no issue with the stability.

The size of the database, thought is required in the amount of metrics you wish to capture and the duration.

Support is always available and we received good onsite training from a Dell representative, but with business this doesn't come cheap and is expected.

Other Solutions Considered

It was a decision made by the management, so not privy to the reasons and I wasn't around for the previous monitoring solution.

it_user124704
    PeopleSoft Administrator at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We evaluated other options including BMC, but chose Foglight for it's notifications & the ability to review the history.

Valuable Features

In Foglight we like the ability to log-on and review the history, as well as receive notifications when certain monitored agents notice issues.

Improvements to My Organization

We have been better able to respond to issues before they become a big issue.

Room for Improvement

The upgrade process could use some fine tuning. I have done an upgrade of the system as well as added\updated agents, and sometimes that process is a bit cumbersome, and does not go as planned. The JAVA monitor agent also definitely could be more streamlined in terms of monitoring and updating. Also they could use an easier method of 'archiving' data that you do not need necessarily as well as updating agent monitor thresholds.

As an update to this, we recently went through an upgrade and went to a newer version (Foglight 5.6.11.3). I would have to say the upgrade process was much better more seamless than previous upgrades. The only item\s that were an issue were the Java EE cartridges for monitoring our Java Weblogic instance. But even that was more straight forward than previous upgrades.

Since we will be upgrading to a newer ERP version next year, I will review and update this post to see what if any changes were needed (Cartridge, FMS, Agents) to continue monitoring our new ERP version/release.

Use of Solution

Foglight 5.6.3 Foglight Experience Monitor 5.6.2

With the original deployment there was a learning curve as well as a understanding of how Foglight all came together. Again, when we originally deployed we deployed on a much earlier version which was much more cumbersome to implement.

We had some initial issues with stability as the initial deployment was on 32bit architecture. With the next release we were able to go to 64bit which helped a lot with stability of the system (memory usage, CPU).

In terms of scalability we have so far not encountered any issues. We are running on the delivered MySQL database (stand alone). We are currently up to about 80GB of data, and it is performing fine with no major issues to date.

The level of customer service has been great to date. Response time and the ability understand the issue and assist\pass on to the right person\group to respond has been very good. I have not had too much of a need for customer service since Dell purchased them so it will be interesting to see if the same level of customer service is maintained.

Technical support has been pretty good at responding\resolving issues. They have a fairly good understanding of the issue at hand and seem pretty good at providing solutions.

The initial setup was a bit complex due to the need to fine tune the monitor thresholds as well as make sure all the agents are monitoring. We also had a bit of a curve on the PeopleSoft monitoring (tuxedo, weblogic, application server, process scheduler) due to not too much documentation available when we first setup.

Implementation Team

We initially implemented through a vendor team and then took on the responsibilities in-house after getting some knowledge transfer. The initial level of expertise left a bit to be desired as it didn't go as planned. However, upon expressing our concerns\issues to them they brought in a senior implementer who got things on track.

ROI

We have no hard figures on the ROI on this product, however having the system has saved us time in terms of debugging and getting to the root cause of issues. Instead of discussing with the OS\Network\Hardware\DBA teams, we have the ability to pin point the issue a lot quicker and determine which if any teams to involve for issue resolution. This can save minutes to hours per incident, which in turn allows us to focus more on other aspects of the system.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Our initial setup cost was the licensing\implementation\knowledge transfer\hardware gear. Unsure about the final setup cost. The day to day cost of using this product is minimal. Once the system is up and running it requires very little maintenance (once you get the hardware specs\system tuning\configuration as you need\want).

Other Solutions Considered

We did evaluate other options. One option that was evaluated was BMC.

Other Advice

I would recommend having an expert do the initial installation and then do a thorough knowledge transfer (shadowing them is also a good idea).

it_user138165
    Vice President - DB Analyst/Admin at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Realtime email and pager alerts and history reports provide valuable information for DBAs to resolve the issues.

Valuable Features

Improvements to My Organization

Monitoring data provides valuable information for DBA to monitor space usage and tuneup database parameters which help to reduce outages to critical applications.

Room for Improvement

Migrating to newer versions is always a challenge with Foglight. I look forward seeing improvements there.

Use of Solution

5 years

We haven't encountered any issues with deployment.

We haven't encountered any issues with stability.

We haven't encountered any issues with scalability.

I haven't had direct interaction with the tech support.

Other Solutions Considered

Yes, we evaluated IBM Tivoli monitor.

Other Advice

Foglight has been our go to monitoring tool for several years in the DB2 and Oracle space. Real time monitoring alerts and history reports provide useful information for DBAs to respond and resolve issues in a timely manner. I recommend the use of this product for anyone looking to monitor & stabilize their environment.
    it_user136047
    Database Administrator at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    Improved the way we respond to database issues as it has made us more proactive.

What is most valuable?

The features of the product most valuable to me are the alert system, Performance tuning (PA) and the monitoring capability.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has improved the way we respond to database issues as it has made us more proactive. For example: the alerts systems now gives as a global picture of locks, thresholds, etc. for our database systems.

What needs improvement?

The monitoring capability and performance tuning.

3 years

We had issues with deployment in the beginning until we had an expert guide us through the process.

Stability is not an issue if you have enough resources on your system to handle the load.

So far so good. We have not encountered any issues with scalability. This solution is being used to monitor 20 plus databases.

Customer Service: The level of customer service is good.Technical Support: The level of technical support is good.

We have a separate solution which is core for all of our other systems. Foglight was solely brought in for our databases.

The whole setup process is not complex at all. It helps to be very good technically to understand the architecture.

We did the implementation through a vendor team and they were very skilled and knowledgeable.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I will give to people regarding Foglight is that the technical team who will be using this product will have to be trained well in order for the company to fully benefit from the product.
    it_user118989
    Application Support Analyst with 501-1,000 employees
    Valuable features include the Transaction Recorder, Transaction Response Time and Management Server

Valuable Features

2 years Foglight Transaction Recorder Transaction Response Time Foglight Management Server

Improvements to My Organization

We are able to capture the real time user experience of our solutions and we have an understanding of overall performance.

Use of Solution

2 years

We didn't have any issues with deployment.

We had stability issues for FTR. The player used to get hung while running the robot scripts.

We didn't have any issues with scalability.

Customer Service: GoodTechnical Support: Very Good

Implementation Team

I think we implemented using a vendor team.

Valuable Features

2 years
    • Foglight Transaction Recorder
    • Transaction Response Time
    • Foglight Management Server

Improvements to My Organization

Use of Solution

2 years

We didn't have any issues with deployment.

We didn't have any issues with scalability.

Customer Service: GoodTechnical Support: Very Good

Implementation Team

I think we implemented using a vendor team.
    it_user118992
    Software Engineer III at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    I've used Nagios, HP SiteScope, CA APM and others but Foglight could do most of what CA could do plus much more.

What is most valuable?

The ability to make any number of amazing dashboards in the Foglight Management Server is probably the most useful feature for me. This is really enhanced when you add the data from some of the other tools such as Foglight Experience Monitor.

How has it helped my organization?

I can give several examples of how this product improved how the organization functions.

What needs improvement?

When we first turned on Foglight for the first time, it was like a fire hose. It was difficult to tell which alerts were important and what was not. It took several weeks to sort through all the alerts and tune the thresholds to appropriate levels etc. It is a double edged sword because it is important to see all the data and find out what is important for your organization but it is a lot of work.

I have used Foglight professionally for about 2 years.

Dell came down and setup a demo of Foglight into our dev environment. This made it much easier to setup when it came time to do so in our production environment. We still ran into issues but with help from Dell Support, and the forums we worked through them until everything was working.

Yes, we had problems with stability after experimenting with custom agents that didn’t work properly. We were able to get everything resolved through support channels.

We didn't experience any issues.

Customer Service: 4 out of 5 – Every once in a while it would be hard to get the proper help through their ticketing service. I would have to call/message our sales rep and get them to kick the service guys in the butt. Definitely better than average.Technical Support: At one point Dell had a guy coming to our office once a month just to check how we were doing and answer questions. They did that for FREE.

Nagios, CA APM, HP SiteScope, PeopleSoft Performance Monitor and many more. We had a very large organization with different departments using different products. Many other tools are capable, but IMO not as flexible or powerful except for particular applications. Some of the CA tools were really great with JAVA applications, but Foglight could do most of what CA could do plus much more.

Initial setup was relatively complex. My organization opted to purchase the entire Foglight suite. It was tough trying to understand how to get everything talking. We had the FMS (Foglight management server), Foglight experience monitor and viewer (hardware), and Foglight performance monitor for the databases. For many of the agents to work properly on the servers you install a Foglight agent manager on each server you're monitoring.

In-house

Yes, HP’s various products (I say various because they have a lot of overlapping tech in this area), CA APM and other tools, and various other products. In my honest opinion Dell’s offerings (formerly Quest) is the most mature.

What other advice do I have?

If you are just starting out, get a Foglight management server and install the agents. After seeing what that alone can do for you, then branch out to the other products especially FxM and FxV.
    it_user4851
    Infrastructure Expert at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
    Cost effective APM, but complicated and confusing.

Valuable Features:

A lot of features for the price: Java/.Net instrumentation, End User replay (similar to TeaLeaf). Huge library of monitoring cartridges

Room for Improvement:

Complicated setup/maintenance. Different components don't integrate well together: FMS, FxM and FxV. Confusing product. You'll need lots of training and implementation consulting.

it_user3984
    HR Staff at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Excellent monitoring capability and business service views...

Valuable Features:

Excellent monitoring capability and business service views

Room for Improvement:

South African skill is scarce

Valuable Features:

Excellent monitoring capability and business service views

Room for Improvement:

South African skill is scarce