Quest NetVault OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Quest NetVault is #44 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. IT Central Station users give Quest NetVault an average rating of 6 out of 10. Quest NetVault is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Quest NetVault vs Veeam Backup & Replication. The top industry researching this solution is Computer Software Company, accounting for 35% of all views.
What is Quest NetVault?

Cloud-ready data recovery software for the hybrid data center. Protect your applications and data on-premises and in the cloud — from one intuitive console — with this scalable data backup and recovery software. NetVault® by Quest supports multiple server and application platforms in both physical and virtual environments. That means you can ensure continuous availability of your business-critical systems, applications and data.

Quest NetVault is also known as NetVault Backup, Quest NetVault, Quest NetVault Backup.

Download the Backup and Recovery Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Quest NetVault Customers

intel, Mars, MERK, Microsoft, Uber, Visa

Quest NetVault Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Quest NetVault pricing:
  • "The price of our 12-month contract is approximately $1,500 AUD ($1,100 USD)."

Quest NetVault Reviews

Daniel Nesnídal
Backup Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A simple solution with a well-done dashboard, but there are command-line limitations and it needs better reporting and scheduling

• "Its dashboard is quite well done. When you log into the GUI, you can basically see everything you need to know. There is also the possibility to edit the view as you like, which is great."
  • "There are command-line limitations. There is not a very strong possibility to work with the command line. The commands that are there are not that powerful, and you need to be very good at scripting, for example, in PowerShell or in Bash in case it is running on Linux systems. You need to combine a lot of commands together, and still, you will not get a great output that is presentable to others. You cannot work with it as easily."

What is our primary use case?

We are using NetVault for client backups and for some virtual machines solutions, such as Hyper-V.

We have two servers. One of them has the latest version, and the other one is on version 12.0.4.16.

What is most valuable?

Its dashboard is quite well done. When you log into the GUI, you can basically see everything you need to know. There is also the possibility to edit the view as you like, which is great.

It is working fine, and we are able to protect our customer's applications and data across their company with this single solution from Quest.

What needs improvement?

There are command-line limitations. There is not a very strong possibility to work with the command line. The commands that are there are not that powerful, and you need to be very good at scripting, for example, in PowerShell or in Bash in case it is running on Linux systems. You need to combine a lot of commands together, and still, you will not get a great output that is presentable to others. You cannot work with it as easily.

Sometimes, I find it confusing, but that could be my personal problem because I am really used to working with a command line. Currently, I'm working with the GUI, and I don't like clicking. There are a lot of windows that I need to check to make sure everything is connected. For example, to check if we have data available for the restore, I need to check three windows. I cannot do it very quickly. It is not very convenient for me.

Its reporting can also be improved. It has some predefined reports that you can edit and export in PDF format. They seem nice and are usable for people in managerial roles, but as a technician, I would like to have the option to create my own report. I would also like to have an option to export a report to an Excel format so that I can work with this data afterward. I can't do much with the PDF format. I know that there is a possibility to export a report to a CSV file that you can open with Microsoft Excel, but the options are very limited. For example, if I go to Manage Job Definitions, I have the option to export to CSV, but I have no option to, for example, filter. I would like to filter and choose certain things before exporting. So, there should be an option to export the reports in different formats so that they are usable and easy to work with afterward for us as technicians.

Its scheduling options can be improved to support conditions. I am used to working with TSM where you have the option to work with conditions, and these conditions could be really complex. At this moment, with NetVault, you can schedule a backup and set the date, time, or a specific day, but you can't specify any dependency. For example, I can't specify conditions where the backup should be run or triggered only if there is nothing running on the client, or all drives are free. I cannot set how many drives will be used for one backup in particular. There is just one drive for the backup for one client. Such options would be great, but these raise the question about the target audience. I know this tool is not for bigger and more complex environments, but it would be great to have such options.

I have been using NetVault for three months.

I am fine with its stability. The main complication that we have on our side is that we do not have, for example, enough tape drives. We are doing backups on the tapes, and because there are hardware limitations, of course, its performance is not that great. So far, I have never seen this tool running at its full potential or at full speed. If everything was ideal, which usually is not the case, I would be very satisfied with this solution. I haven't seen any kind of unusual errors that are not fixable within a few minutes and so on.

Its scalability might not be that easy, but I cannot say it right away because I am still learning this solution. I would be able to talk about scalability after a half year.

We are currently using it for the backup of very small environments with up to 500 clients in total.

In terms of the number of users, I have one colleague who is mainly focusing on the tool. He is also a backup technician like me. The plan is that I will take over, but there won't be more than two of us working on this solution.

I have used their support. When there is something that we are not able to solve, we have the option to go to the Quest site and open a ticket, and we get the response.

I was very satisfied with their support. I was much more satisfied with their support than with the support of other tools, such as Spectrum Protect. It was quick and straightforward. They were easy to understand, and in the end, the problem was solved. I have nothing bad to say about their support.

We are, of course, using more than one solution, and this is just one small part of our backup business. We are also using NetWorker. If I'm not wrong, we have only one customer of Quest NetVault. If it was up to me, I wouldn't choose this one, but I am working with what I have at the moment, and it's working fine.

We have several tools that we are able to manage. We offer a solution that meets the needs of our customers. It depends on what they need to back up. The licenses for plugins for backups for Hyper-V, VMware, SAP DB, etc are usually paid by the customers, and it depends on what they need. If a customer requires a backup of SAP databases or SAP applications, we can offer that, and there are licenses for that. Rather than having a simple or basic file backup, it is better to have the backup done in this way. Otherwise, you will have inconsistency, etc. I am glad that these features and licenses are there, and we can at least offer these, but the choice doesn't depend on me.

I was not involved in its initial setup. I came to this company when everything was already installed and implemented.

What other advice do I have?

It works fine for small businesses, and it can do its job. If it was up to me, I would maybe choose a different solution. I have worked with TSM and IBM Spectrum Protect, and as compared to those, it has the basic features, but it is one of the easiest tools I have worked with.

When implementing a backup solution, I would definitely advise others to really think about the naming convention. Even though it is a simple tool, it can get complicated when things get quite big where you have hundreds of systems. You can get lost if you really do not know about and follow naming conventions. One of the things that I'm planning to do in our environment is to rename everything to have consistency in the naming convention because at the current state it is really making things much more complicated than they should be.

I would rate Quest NetVault a seven out of ten.

SB
System Administrator at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, stable, affordable pricing model, and good technical support

• "Having the web-based interface is important to us because we can access it from any computer in the network, rather than having it installed and available for use only on a specific one."
  • "There are certain issues with the product that we report to Quest, and we get offered a workaround instead of a fix. There could be better interaction with the development teams, perhaps in terms of transparency."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to do backups in VMware.

How has it helped my organization?

It is very important to us that NetVault supports complex hybrid data-center infrastructure because we rely on a stable backup program to be able to provide us with security and usable backups. That's exactly where NetVault comes in.

We are able to protect all of our applications and data across the company using only NetVault. This is very important to us, and NetVault does a really good job at it.

NetVault is really well integrated into the way that we back up our VMs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that the backup is done using snapshots, and it has a web interface, as opposed to having to install something on our laptops.

What needs improvement?

We are unable to use the latest version due to hardware incompatibility. We need to upgrade our infrastructure to be able to run the latest version of NetVault.

With the version we are running, when Microsoft releases new updates, our backups get frozen and we have to restart them.

I have been working with Quest NetVault since 2018, and it has been used within the company since before that.

Stability-wise, at the moment and with the version we've got, it's not that great. Every time Microsoft releases new updates, something happens to our backups and they get frozen over the weekend. When this happens, we have to restart them all over again.

We have a limited ability to scale up or down because of the infrastructure. We need to get a more compatible server in order to scale up. We are currently going through the process of revamping our infrastructure.

We use this product very extensively. It's used as the primary source of backup for our VM infrastructure and we may have plans to increase usage within the next six to twelve months.

There is only me and one of my colleagues who use the product, and we are both system administrators. We handle the maintenance that is required, including upgrades.

We do not subscribe to Quest Premier Support, where they are onsite with you. When we need to contact them, we either call the number or log a ticket online.

I would definitely rate their technical support a ten out of ten.

The architects that always deal with my tickets are very knowledgeable in the product and understand exactly what's going on. They're able to give us a fix, usually within the same day that they get the ticket. Sometimes, they get a lot of priority tickets, which they act on immediately. This means they're going over and above what it says in the service levels. So, they're exceeding the customers' expectations.

I have used and evaluated many similar solutions to NetVault in the past, and they were more complex. NetVault is a software-based solution running on the server, and it's the easier one that I have used.

This solution was installed before I joined the company. However, I have had to redo it a few times and have learned that it's not hard to install yourself.

My colleague and I are the system administrators and we are responsible for the maintenance. I do the updates and 30% of the troubleshooting. If there is a major problem that I can't fix, I'll send it to Quest.

Our previous license was for a three-year period but the next one coming is for 12 months.

The price of our 12-month contract is approximately $1,500 AUD ($1,100 USD). It covers us for 295 virtual machines.

NetVault's component licensing enables us to buy only the features that we need. We've scaled it down to exactly what we require, which is more affordable for us. We recently changed our licensing model to allow us to back up an unlimited amount of data. Also, we're only using one NetVault plug-in, which means that we just need the VMware plug-in and we don't need the rest. Changing to this operational model is what has saved us money.

We are looking at other possible solutions with data graphs and infrastructure graphs, but that's coming in the future. We're also planning to upgrade NetVault because we're not running the latest version.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering NetVault is that if they're looking for something really easy to use, and they want to back up their VMware environment, then NetVault would be a wise choice. It's not complicated to set up, and it has great after-sales support. They really care about their customers.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using NetVault is from a configurability point of view. This is a product that is easy to set up and troubleshoot, whereas there are more complex solutions out there that aren't, and require more digging and more research.

Find out what your peers are saying about Quest Software, Veeam Software, Commvault and others in Backup and Recovery Software. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SP
Technical Manager with 1-10 employees
Good user interface and technical support, but the granularity of file restoration needs improvement

• "The user interface is good."
  • "I would like to see the option of cloud-based management."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that I provide technical support for.

Our customers use it for application and database backup and recovery.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is good.

What needs improvement?

The granularity of file restoration needs to be improved.

I would like to see the option of cloud-based management.

I have been working with Quest NetVault for almost three years.

Every product has known issues when it comes to stability. However, with NetVault, we have not had any serious problems.

We have not had any trouble with scalability.

The technical support from the vendor is good and we don't have any issue with it.

I have worked with several backup and recovery solutions such as Commvault and Veeam.

NetVault does not have the feature set that Commvault has.

If the steps are followed properly then the initial setup will be straightforward.

We implement and deploy NetVault for our customers. If we have any trouble then we eventually resolve it. We don't simply tell the customer that it isn't possible. Ultimately, our customers have been happy with the solution.

What other advice do I have?

Every product has advantages and disadvantages. The suitability of NetVault depends on the customer's environment and the requirements. Customers do not have the same kind of environment, which means that what works fine with one customer may leave another with issues.

This is a good solution, but some products have better features such as archiving and deduplication. In my opinion, Commvault is the best choice for backup and recovery.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Download our free Backup and Recovery Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Quest Software, Veeam Software, Commvault, and more!