Quest Rapid Recovery Overview

Quest Rapid Recovery is the #25 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Quest Rapid Recovery vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Quest Rapid Recovery?
Quest Software's Rapid Recovery is block-level, incremental backup software. Unlike the incremental feature found in legacy products, which backed up the entire changed file, Quest Rapid Recovery backs up only the parts of a file that have been changed.

Quest Rapid Recovery is also known as Dell AppAssure.

Quest Rapid Recovery Buyer's Guide

Download the Quest Rapid Recovery Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Quest Rapid Recovery Customers
PRIME aerostructures GmbH, Tamworth Regional Council, Rhondda Housing Association, Stadtwerke Pforzheim GmbH & Co., Guangdong Aiyingdao ChildrenĀs Department Store, Nspyre, Tarrant Technology Partners, CloudRunner
Quest Rapid Recovery Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Quest Rapid Recovery pricing:
  • "It is a little expensive. However, I haven't compared it to other solutions. Being a nonprofit, it is always good to have nonprofit discounts on products."
  • "It's very expensive which is why I want to drop it. They charge us per core and we have a six-core server. It's expensive to pay for maintenance charges. I want to switch to something cheaper."

KD
Systems Administrator at a healthcare company with 11-50 employees
Easily restored our entire disk to another machine when we had a server upgrade

What is our primary use case?

We back up our on-premise servers, storing and archiving in the cloud and on-premise. It is on a physical server.

• "Just knowing that the data is easily recoverable is our ROI. It definitely lowers risk."
  • "The terminology didn't seem easily available. When I go to the website, it is hard to search for things. You get all the articles, then you finally get the search button. They need the search at the top of the knowledge base. Then, on occasion, if you get an error message in the system, which is very important, it says, "Click here for more information," but I never get more information. The search engine doesn't find it or it is some weird error. It has never worked for me."

What other advice do I have?

It requires some training. Once you know where the features are, it is very easy to navigate. Their terminology is a little different than most. It seems to be a little different than other concepts of backup or disaster recovery. However, once I was shown some of the basics by a technician, then it was pretty easy to navigate. I would rate this solution as 10 out of 10.
Wesam Qashou
Senior Systems Engineer at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Durable and rock-stable solution that can fully restore servers to any platform you want

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution for backing up our critical servers and certain SQL servers.

• "The solution offers a 100% guarantee that if it's backed up you will be able to restore it onto any platform you want."
  • "Sometimes, when we have certain batches for Windows, it needs to be restarted. When it's restarted, the service is configured as a delayed start. Sometimes, you need to wait too long until it rights itself, or you have to do it manually."

What other advice do I have?

We use the private cloud deployment model. I would recommend the solution. Rapid Recovery is one of the most durable and rock-stable solutions. If you ever need to have a system backup, it can be restored to 100% without any issues. Price-wise, it is similar to EMC Networker and Symantec. I would rate the solution ten out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Quest Rapid Recovery. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.
TA
IT Manager at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Excellent backup capabilities and good stability but reporting needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to back up our critical servers. We have an SQL server, so we use it to back up the data and the services on the SQL server to another machine in our disaster recovery site. We also use to back up our file server and some other critical servers.

• "The solution's most valuable aspect is its ability to back up a physical server to another physical or virtual server."
  • "The on-premises deployment model shouldn't have a maintenance fee. If there's going to be technical support, they need it to be free or it should be paid on upon adopting the solution."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. It wasn't deployed for users. It was deployed for backup purposes for our servers. It's just the IT administrator that handles it. It's doing everything on its own. All we do is just supervise to check that it's still backing up our data. It's a good solution. Most people may just find that it is undesirable to pay per call. I think they charge per call, so you should check your infrastructure before choosing Quest. I'd rate the solution six out of ten.
Valerii Shchipanovskyi
Sales Engineer at BAKOTECH LLC
A good backup solution for small and medium-sized businesses that offers a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used to backup all infrastructure environments as well as the database.

• "The best feature of the solution is the user interface."
  • "Rapid Recovery can only backup the machine or disc, but it can't back up from folders, and files, and things like that."

What other advice do I have?

I'm a distributor. I sell this solution to clients. We typically deal with the on-premises version of the solution. The solution is a great backup for the retail environment. It's a simple installation as well. I would rate the solution eight out of ten.
TA
IT Manager at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Can take a snapshot of everything on a server and replicate it on another server in real-time but it is lacking features

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model for this solution. My primary use case of this solution is to backup my physical server.

• "The fact that it can take a snapshot of everything on a server and replicate it on another server in real-time is the most valuable feature."
  • "You can only take a snapshot from a virtual environment. It should have the ability to take snapshots from both a virtual and physical environment."

What other advice do I have?

If cost isn't an issue, it's a very good solution. If you're looking at your overall, yearly costs you should look for something cheaper. I would rate it a seven out of ten. Not a ten because it's lacking features. It can only replicate from SQL to SQL, not Oracle to SQL or IBM, etc.
MC
Infrastructure Analyst with 501-1,000 employees
Good general backup for replication and virtual standby but it's buggy

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for backup and recovery.

• "The general backup for replication and virtual standby are the most valuable aspects. It does what it says it does. It's a decent tool for not a big budget."
  • "It's buggy. That's a big problem. We're arranging to get rid of it. We're going to switch to Veeam."

What other advice do I have?

I've experienced a lot of issues with it, so I would advise against installing it and going with Veeam. I would rate it a six out of ten.
Download our free Quest Rapid Recovery Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.