Quest Rapid Recovery OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Quest Rapid Recovery is the #21 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Quest Rapid Recovery vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Quest Rapid Recovery?
Quest Software's Rapid Recovery is block-level, incremental backup software. Unlike the incremental feature found in legacy products, which backed up the entire changed file, Quest Rapid Recovery backs up only the parts of a file that have been changed.

Quest Rapid Recovery is also known as Dell AppAssure.

Quest Rapid Recovery Buyer's Guide

Download the Quest Rapid Recovery Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Quest Rapid Recovery Customers
PRIME aerostructures GmbH, Tamworth Regional Council, Rhondda Housing Association, Stadtwerke Pforzheim GmbH & Co., Guangdong Aiyingdao Childrens Department Store, Nspyre, Tarrant Technology Partners, CloudRunner
Quest Rapid Recovery Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Quest Rapid Recovery pricing:
  • "I don't think the licensing for the product is very expensive."
  • "I believe the basic license comes with six terabytes, whereas a lot of the other ones are four terabytes. From the price point, it seemed a lot better than the comparative models, such as Datto, Barracuda, and some of the others. I believe Barracuda was about $15,000 for four terabytes, and Quest was around $12,000 for six terabytes. Pricing is based on the period. There is just the maintenance fee that you have to pay annually, or you can pay for a three-year or four-year contract. This includes Premier Support."
  • "Licensing fees are based on the amount of data that you want to store, which is related to how many customers you want to cover."
  • "It is a little expensive. However, I haven't compared it to other solutions. Being a nonprofit, it is always good to have nonprofit discounts on products."

GR
ICT Network Manager at St Christopher's School Hove
Simple to set up and use, good support, and deduplication saves us money on storage costs

What is our primary use case?

This solution is our on-premises backup server. It is connected through a VPN to the Azure Rapid recovery backup, off-site virtual server. We also use it for disaster recovery. If we were to lose the site or the place were to burn down, we could start up a couple of virtual machines on the Azure platform and have users log in via a terminal server through Azure. From there, they could access the MIS system, file server, and other resources until we were able to establish a rebuild of our infrastructure on the school premises. The major benefit to our organization is the security of the data… more »

• "Built-in encryption helps to secure our data as it travels from our on-site server to our off-site backup server."
  • "When you do a full backup, all of the memory resources on the server are used, which is something that should be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I have not yet used the synthetic incremental backup feature but I know that it is available. With respect to how the product should change in the future, I'm pretty happy with the way that they are investing time and effort in their product. I suppose the model that they've got works for their company and also for their customers, so I think trying to make major changes to the software might not turn out too well. I think companies or IT managers or IT staff, in general, would prefer that the software not change very much. I can recommend it to other people in the circumstances that I've got…
Bill Vierow
Systems and Network Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Allows us to do point-in-time recovery and mount the whole server and saves quite a bit of time

What is our primary use case?

It is basically used for everything. It is used all the way from files recovery on a simple basis, where one user accidentally deletes a file and we need to replace it, to a server crash, where we need to bring it up virtually on another unit because the hardware crashed or something like that. It is deployed on-prem. We have two units with Rapid Recovery. So, we have two DL1300s. It was sold as an appliance package at the time.

• "Probably the point-in-time recovery is most valuable. The other piece that is really nice is that you can mount a whole server at any point in time. So, you can mount the server with all the drives to a Z drive or something like that. It will just mount it all up, and your data is accessible right there on one drive, which is nice."
  • "For the most part, it is really good in terms of flexibility and choice of recovery methods. What we found lacking was being able to back up virtual volumes that are clustered. We ran out of luck there. There should be an option for backing up clustered virtual volumes."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to always test your backups. It doesn't matter which product you're using. You need to test them. In terms of the recovery at the attribute level, as long as you have the decryption key, you could mount the server, and then you can grab whichever file you need. We back up the whole server, so technically, we could just do a restore. We could just mount that server and grab the files that we need and that were a part of that active directory piece, or we could just restore the whole server at a point in time. I've never had to do it. We've done tons of restores and file…
Learn what your peers think about Quest Rapid Recovery. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,468 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mohd Hisyamudin Hamid
System Engineer at Netwitz
Reliable and fast, easy to use, good alerting, and backups can be mounted for use as drives

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is backup and restore, which we use to protect our customers' data centers.

• "The compression and deduplication features have helped to save on storage costs."
  • "It is quite surprising to me that the configuration cannot be backed up automatically, and I think that Rapid Recovery should have an option for scheduled configuration backup."

What other advice do I have?

The Synthetic Incremental Backup feature is a new one that I haven't set up yet. Instead, I use the normal incremental backup. When replication is being used, when it first starts, it will be slow. The reason for this is that you have to start with a base. Then, once you have the base, the replication is very fast. It is important to my clients that features such as deduplication and replication are included at no extra charge. They understand these features, as well as compression, and understand the costs involved. As they switch from other products, they know that implementing Rapid…
KD
Systems Administrator at a healthcare company with 11-50 employees
Easily restored our entire disk to another machine when we had a server upgrade

What is our primary use case?

We back up our on-premise servers, storing and archiving in the cloud and on-premise. It is on a physical server.

• "Just knowing that the data is easily recoverable is our ROI. It definitely lowers risk."
  • "The terminology didn't seem easily available. When I go to the website, it is hard to search for things. You get all the articles, then you finally get the search button. They need the search at the top of the knowledge base. Then, on occasion, if you get an error message in the system, which is very important, it says, "Click here for more information," but I never get more information. The search engine doesn't find it or it is some weird error. It has never worked for me."

What other advice do I have?

It requires some training. Once you know where the features are, it is very easy to navigate. Their terminology is a little different than most. It seems to be a little different than other concepts of backup or disaster recovery. However, once I was shown some of the basics by a technician, then it was pretty easy to navigate. I would rate this solution as 10 out of 10.
TA
IT Manager at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Excellent backup capabilities and good stability but reporting needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to back up our critical servers. We have an SQL server, so we use it to back up the data and the services on the SQL server to another machine in our disaster recovery site. We also use to back up our file server and some other critical servers.

• "The solution's most valuable aspect is its ability to back up a physical server to another physical or virtual server."
  • "The on-premises deployment model shouldn't have a maintenance fee. If there's going to be technical support, they need it to be free or it should be paid on upon adopting the solution."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. It wasn't deployed for users. It was deployed for backup purposes for our servers. It's just the IT administrator that handles it. It's doing everything on its own. All we do is just supervise to check that it's still backing up our data. It's a good solution. Most people may just find that it is undesirable to pay per call. I think they charge per call, so you should check your infrastructure before choosing Quest. I'd rate the solution six out of ten.
MC
Infrastructure Analyst with 501-1,000 employees
Good general backup for replication and virtual standby but it's buggy

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for backup and recovery.

• "The general backup for replication and virtual standby are the most valuable aspects. It does what it says it does. It's a decent tool for not a big budget."
  • "It's buggy. That's a big problem. We're arranging to get rid of it. We're going to switch to Veeam."

What other advice do I have?

I've experienced a lot of issues with it, so I would advise against installing it and going with Veeam. I would rate it a six out of ten.
Download our free Quest Rapid Recovery Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.